• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

vanhuynh16

Smash Cadet
Rest assured! I too have a 1mb/s upload speed and I play fine. It depends on your ping, not your download/upload speed.
Thanks! Yeah I was trying to play with someone from South Korea. Way too difficult because of all the input lag and just general lag. I will try to play against someone in the USA.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks! Yeah I was trying to play with someone from South Korea. Way too difficult because of all the input lag and just general lag. I will try to play against someone in the USA.
Generally you're going to want to play someone from your region (west coast, east midwest, south, central). In the IRC channel if you do !mm (your region) it will notify everyone in your region. For example for west coast I do !mm wc for east cost I would do !mm ec and so on.

vanhuynh16

Smash Cadet
Generally you're going to want to play someone from your region (west coast, east midwest, south, central). In the IRC channel if you do !mm (your region) it will notify everyone in your region. For example for west coast I do !mm wc for east cost I would do !mm ec and so on.
Is South just south then? or "s"?

Largo Shogun

Smash Cadet
Really hope that i'm not late to the party here. Got Project M all working and stuff, via your helpful instructions. I however wanted to take advantage of the wii classic controller's extra buttons. i was able to connect the remote without a hitch, but when i load up the game it doesn't respond to my wiimote's button presses at all. I've got my Xbox controller i can use just fine, but i would still rather use something i used to when playing on my actual wii. And thank you.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Really hope that i'm not late to the party here. Got Project M all working and stuff, via your helpful instructions. I however wanted to take advantage of the wii classic controller's extra buttons. i was able to connect the remote without a hitch, but when i load up the game it doesn't respond to my wiimote's button presses at all. I've got my Xbox controller i can use just fine, but i would still rather use something i used to when playing on my actual wii. And thank you.
I am confused as to what you are using. Is this a wired or wireless controller? It works aside from the one button?

AlpacaBowl

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to keep a save file of the iso so maps are already selected/items are off and such? Other than that, works beautifully.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Is it possible to keep a save file of the iso so maps are already selected/items are off and such? Other than that, works beautifully.
This is only possible for offline play. Download a different revision of Dolphin, 4.02 or any other version that is not of the DC-Netplay branch and you may have a save file on there. On the Netplay version you cannot have a save file or you will desync.

steelguttey

mei is bei
everytime i open up the Project M iso it says I have to create a new save file. is there any way around this or do i just have to deal with it

Y-L

Smash Champion
everytime i open up the Project M iso it says I have to create a new save file. is there any way around this or do i just have to deal with it
For online use you have to deal with it. You cannot have a save file when on Netplay or else a desync would occur.
If you mean for offline use download Dolphin 4.02 and you can have a save file on there.

steelguttey

mei is bei
thanks. also how do i put single costumes on it? like i want to put an extra costume onto ice climbers.

Y-L

Smash Champion
thanks. also how do i put single costumes on it? like i want to put an extra costume onto ice climbers.
The only way to mod the game is to rebuild using the modded files in the projectm folder however this may cause desyncs so I wouldn't.

jacer

Smash Cadet
NNID
thejacer87
I just wanted to point out that, on a MAC, the reason you cant build isn't because of a lack of command prompt ( it has a fully functional, and better, terminal emulator).

It doesn't work because .bat files don't compile in anything but windows.

Y-L

Smash Champion
That's great they finally made a method for Mac, I'll link this to the guide.

Largo Shogun

Smash Cadet
I am confused as to what you are using. Is this a wired or wireless controller? It works aside from the one button?
Hey, sorry for the long wait. I actually figured it out myself. as for what i was saying, I was asking about how to get a classic controller working while it's plugged int the wiimote and the wiimote synced to the computer. I basically got a different version of Dolphin for offline play and figured it out from there,

Bebop86

Smash Cadet
I got all the way to the checking the ido part and it didn't match. One warning message popped up during the making of the iso and said it couldn't find a file called cygidn- 11.dll. Halp?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I got all the way to the checking the ido part and it didn't match. One warning message popped up during the making of the iso and said it couldn't find a file called cygidn- 11.dll. Halp?
You can disregard the error message, in the guide it says that is normal.
As for your problem, this has to do with you either 1) not using the right projectm folder, 2) not replacing the rsbe01.gct, or 3) you have the wrong brawl iso. What file size is your brawl iso, and are you sure it is NTSC?

Bebop86

Smash Cadet
You can disregard the error message, in the guide it says that is normal.
As for your problem, this has to do with you either 1) not using the right projectm folder, 2) not replacing the rsbe01.gct, or 3) you have the wrong brawl iso. What file size is your brawl iso, and are you sure it is NTSC?
7.92 GB and it says NTSC in the file name. I went to my projectm folder and put it there, and I believe replaced that file as well.

Y-L

Smash Champion
7.92 GB and it says NTSC in the file name. I went to my projectm folder and put it there, and I believe replaced that file as well.
What you should do is extract the builder folder, put the projectm folder from the homebrew folder into the builder folder, put the rsbe01.gct from the codes folder in the homebrew folder into the builder folder, replace the existing rsbe01.gct in there, put brawl in the builder folder, then build.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
hey, me and my friend have been trying for days to connect but we just cant connect for some reason. we tried a couple months ago and gave up, and we tried again today hoping that maybe we will get lucky and it will work but it just doesnt. Whether he hosts it or I host it we dont connect. The person who tries to join just gets a "Disconnected" popup after like 30 seconds and the host never sees them connect or show up on the netplay window. We have the same version of Dolphin, put the settings you said to put, and our ISO file have the correct md5 code. So what is it? It's really starting to annoy me. Why doesn't it work :(

Y-L

Smash Champion
hey, me and my friend have been trying for days to connect but we just cant connect for some reason. we tried a couple months ago and gave up, and we tried again today hoping that maybe we will get lucky and it will work but it just doesnt. Whether he hosts it or I host it we dont connect. The person who tries to join just gets a "Disconnected" popup after like 30 seconds and the host never sees them connect or show up on the netplay window. We have the same version of Dolphin, put the settings you said to put, and our ISO file have the correct md5 code. So what is it? It's really starting to annoy me. Why doesn't it work :(
Probably a network issue on one of your ends. Look at the FAQ.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Probably a network issue on one of your ends. Look at the FAQ.
OK so I tried connecting with some other people from the matchmaking tools. I found out that I can join games but I cant host them, when I do host people cant join for some reason, same goes with my friend, he can join but cant host.

Y-L

Smash Champion
OK so I tried connecting with some other people from the matchmaking tools. I found out that I can join games but I cant host them, when I do host people cant join for some reason, same goes with my friend, he can join but cant host.
I'm not very familiar with network issues but I believe it might have something to do with uPnP/UDP on your router. I'd hit up Google for some info on how to enable that. If not then you have to port forward. Which you can also Google to figure out how to do.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I'm not very familiar with network issues but I believe it might have something to do with uPnP/UDP on your router. I'd hit up Google for some info on how to enable that. If not then you have to port forward. Which you can also Google to figure out how to do.
ok then

Last edited:

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Well I do have uPnP enabled. I looked up port forwarding and it doesnt look to difficult but I am just not up to do it. It shouldn't have to be this long and annoying of a process, thousands can play so easily while I gotta do all this stuff and I doubt it will work even after. I will just wait for SSB4 to satisfy my online needs.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Well I do have uPnP enabled. I looked up port forwarding and it doesnt look to difficult but I am just not up to do it. It shouldn't have to be this long and annoying of a process, thousands can play so easily while I gotta do all this stuff and I doubt it will work even after. I will just wait for SSB4 to satisfy my online needs.
Again I'm not very familiar with network issues so I would try asking jmc47 in the IRC and the Dolphin forums before giving up. Sorry about your issues.

NWRL

Smash Ace
I'm desyncing every match I play. I'm using Windows 8, and I'm using all of your recommended settings. Is Windows 8 the problem?

NWRL

Smash Ace
Yeah everything is matching the settings. I've turned off all memory cards and everything.

my MD5s are the same as the reddit 3.02 guide

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yeah everything is matching the settings. I've turned off all memory cards and everything.

my MD5s are the same as the reddit 3.02 guide
So the md5 matches this guide correct? Note that it could be your opponent causing the desync. Try playing with a different player. Ensure you have the correct Dolphin version, no mem cards, wii motes, and insert SD card is off.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Okay I got it working, I changed the PM properties settings to default (i turned them all off to be sure everything was covered) and it is working. Thanks for the help guys.

ReDDeFFect

Smash Cadet
port forwarding is very easy.

go to cmd prompt, type ipconfig. Type the default gateway ip into your web browser. Now your router page should be showing up, enter username/pass for your router. Find the port forwarding page on your router. look at the CMD prompt where you typed ipconfig, find your ipv4 address it should look the same as your default gateway address, but the last number set will be different. put that IP in port forwarding, and set the port to forward to 3074. Make sure to tick check boxes next to the port forwarding tool if there are any. Finally, go on dolphin's config, under general config, set force netplay listen port to 3074 and it should work.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Still wondering why port forwarding is required for some people. Anyone got an answer for that?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I plan on using an HDTV as my monitor, will there be lag like there is when using an actual wii on it or should the fact dolphin is meant for PC use prevent that?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I plan on using an HDTV as my monitor, will there be lag like there is when using an actual wii on it or should the fact dolphin is meant for PC use prevent that?
It will have the same amount of lag as on a wii because it's the tv that has the lag, not the game itself.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
It will have the same amount of lag as on a wii because it's the tv that has the lag, not the game itself.
Alright. If it's the same it shouldn't be a problem, to be honest I don't even notice lag but apparently all HDTVs have them.

Top Bottom