• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M-2 PC/Steam Exclusive For Kickstarter? (NonProfit)

smashman!

Smash Cadet
You read the title, any chance this'll EVER happen????

The absolute best solution to craft the perfect Smash!

WITH and FOR the competitive community!
Keep in mind Nintendo is now allowing for fan projects!
P.S. I'm thinking Zelda Tech Demo Visuals : D

Thoughts?

Last edited:

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
This idea is kinda out there but by all means possible. I'd like to see that ofc, but idk about it happening soon

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
Kickstarter and non-profit? Hilarious contradiction.

Nintendo would automatically send a cease and desist on that kickstarter as they said you can use their IPs, so long as you make no money off of it.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Does Nintendo allow fan projects? Yes.
Are you allowed to make a profit off said project? Absolutely not.

You can't run a Kickstarter campaign and be "non-profit" at the same time. It's one or the other.

The biggest reason Project M "1" is still alive is because they don't (and shouldn't) ask for any money to keep the project running.

Besides, Project M "1" isn't finished for Pete's sake!

smashman!

Smash Cadet
Kickstarter and non-profit? Hilarious contradiction.

Nintendo would automatically send a cease and desist on that kickstarter as they said you can use their IPs, so long as you make no money off of it.
Well hold on now, many platforms outside kickstarter offer an actual option for that buuut... I see KS isn't the place for that lmao

Last edited:

smashman!

Smash Cadet
Does Nintendo allow fan projects? Yes.
Are you allowed to make a profit off said project? Absolutely not.

You can't run a Kickstarter campaign and be "non-profit" at the same time. It's one or the other.

The biggest reason Project M "1" is still alive is because they don't (and shouldn't) ask for any money to keep the project running.

Besides, Project M "1" isn't finished for Pete's sake!
So you don't want an updated Smash with Tech Demo-Like Visuals???
(See my other reply above) xD

Last edited:

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
Wait, so the only issue I see is running this on Kick starter. So would it be possible to do without? Like I'm the realm of reasonability

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
You're kind of asking a lot. Steam exclusive, zelda tech visuals, and non profit?

While it may sound great but the reality of it is bad for the people who would make this. People who would work on something like that would want something out of it. I mean, you will need brand new visuals, new engine which you will start off from the ground, carefully program a near resemblance of project M physics, ect... so making all of that would be too much to just let it be free. I say it may be possible but we'll need dedicated people to take that on.

Personally, I prefer something like smash bros project m, but has its own originality like characters, items, stages, modes, ect... with a price.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
There is no way you would be able to show off someone else's IP on steam, everything that goes up has to get approved by their team. In addition, any sort of fundraising associated with the development, even donations, can get your project viciously murdered.

silver856

Smash Rookie
I think I may have a solution to your dilemma. Since paying people to produce a quality product with your standards seems to conflict with Nintendo's fan game rule, you could try to make this game star Indie game characters like Shovel Knight, Gunvolt, and Shantae. Indie Developers would be more willing to let you use their characters(so long as the game is quality enough).

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I think I may have a solution to your dilemma. Since paying people to produce a quality product with your standards seems to conflict with Nintendo's fan game rule, you could try to make this game star Indie game characters like Shovel Knight, Gunvolt, and Shantae. Indie Developers would be more willing to let you use their characters(so long as the game is quality enough).
I don't think indie developers would willingly let you use their characters unless you pay them. They too are a business and they don't want just anybody using their characters without consent.

Top Bottom