• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Progressing Luigi

sskylann

Smash Rookie
I was a competitor at GOML that happened just this weekend, and I played a few friendlies with DJ Nintendo, who is commonly known as one of the best players in the Luigi match-up. I asked him what he thought I could be doing better, and he just told me that Luigi sucks and all Luigi players do the same thing over and over again. What are your thoughts on this?

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
My thoughts is that DJ Nintendo hates Luigi, and he's totally wrong :)

säpo.

Smash Apprentice
If his response was just "all Luigi players do the same thing over and over again" he didn't even answer your question. People playing predictably has nothing to do with how good/bad the character is.

Last edited:

Bandito

Smash Rookie
I am meeting DJ Nintendo this weekend at Combo Breaker 2, I will ask him about what he thinks about Luigi. What he told you doesn't really seem like a reason for Luigi to be a bad character... Rather Luigi players are just bad.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I think Luigi has kind of fallen into a certain style that doesn't allow for much variety. Kind of like Hbox with Puff until TBH 5. Most Luigi's (includes me) model Abate's play, but I think it would do the players better to play a more balanced style. Luigi has issues with approaching cause you have to read someone's movement really well since his wavedash has more lag than other character's approaches. So a more baiting style with some mixup approaches is better imo. Until a good player plays this way, I think Luigi isn't going to be doing much in tourney outside the occasional good run. Just my two cents.

Top Bottom