• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Progressing as a Whole

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
So I had a conversation with Clover yesterday on AIM about the progression of our community. Things have moved upward with Denti's Nietono Thread, the Competitive Discussion Thread, and the Skype discussion recently held by Fino, dissecting Nietono's Apex Videos (which I would like to see similar things happen again, and perhaps be able to join in on the next one).

I do not mean to offend anyone with this conversation. I'm usually honest with how I feel about players.

Hilt (1:12:10 AM): reasons
Hilt (1:12:15 AM): are what i'm good at
Hilt (1:12:27 AM): don't do things without a reason, take advantage of the reasons you're given
Hilt (1:12:36 AM): Olimar Boards are given a lot of reasons for discussion
Hilt (1:12:42 AM): That are not taken advantage
Hilt (1:12:43 AM): of
Jett Livingstone (1:12:47 AM): Like Nietono's videos.
Hilt (1:12:54 AM): A lot of these reasons can still be progressed on
Hilt (1:12:59 AM): LIKE NIETONO'S VIDEOS
Hilt (1:13:09 AM): When they were umm
Hilt (1:13:13 AM): what's the word
Hilt (1:13:15 AM): when tehy were
Jett Livingstone (1:13:20 AM): New?
Hilt (1:13:22 AM): researched?
Hilt (1:13:24 AM): umm
Hilt (1:13:28 AM): evaluated?
Jett Livingstone (1:13:29 AM): Oh, explored, dissected
Hilt (1:13:34 AM): dissected!
Hilt (1:13:35 AM): that's it
Hilt (1:13:47 AM): they may not have been done so in the most professional of mannters
Hilt (1:13:54 AM): that needs to be done so
Jett Livingstone (1:13:58 AM): Of course. It was done on Skype, IIRC.
Hilt (1:13:58 AM): it NEEDS to be done so
Hilt (1:14:14 AM): by many, many Olimars
Hilt (1:14:16 AM): the problem is
Hilt (1:14:21 AM): is that the Olimar boards
Jett Livingstone (1:14:31 AM): Fino said that there weren't many interested in discussing his videos.
Hilt (1:14:51 AM): is overruled primarily by those that aren't top olimar mains
Hilt (1:14:56 AM): so when an idea is brought up in the olimar boards
Jett Livingstone (1:15:11 AM): It dies due to lack of motivation or ability to spot things.
Jett Livingstone (1:15:45 AM): No?
Hilt (1:15:51 AM): it is shrugged off by the amateurs (no offense intended) because they don't care enough, or is shrugged off by the pros because it's being posted in a forum fit for amateurs ( no offense intended
Hilt (1:15:52 AM): )
Jett Livingstone (1:15:57 AM): Oh.
Hilt (1:15:58 AM): and that's
Hilt (1:15:59 AM): a ****ing
Hilt (1:16:00 AM): circle
Hilt (1:16:01 AM): and I hate
Hilt (1:16:02 AM): I hate
Hilt (1:16:03 AM): I hate
Hilt (1:16:06 AM): circles
Hilt (1:16:16 AM): I also hate
Hilt (1:16:20 AM): pineapple wine
Hilt (1:16:26 AM): but i keep drinking it anyways
Jett Livingstone (1:16:27 AM): I think I already talked to you about this.
Hilt (1:16:29 AM): irrelevant
Hilt (1:16:35 AM): anyways
Jett Livingstone (1:16:39 AM): The top Olimars not posting, I mean.
Hilt (1:16:47 AM): the olimar boards has circle syndrome
Hilt (1:16:57 AM): where the bad doesn't want to contribue because they aren't good
Hilt (1:17:29 AM): and the good doesn't want to contribue because they're "better than the bad"
Hilt (1:17:36 AM): and that's ****ing stupid
Hilt (1:17:44 AM): ****ing Olimar of all characters
Hilt (1:17:55 AM): has enogugh to where like
Hilt (1:18:25 AM): even a scrub, out of the hundred sentences he has to say
Hilt (1:18:26 AM): says one thing that the pro didn't think about
Hilt (1:18:41 AM): that's something that Olimar has unique from the other characters
Hilt (1:19:01 AM): there are so many points, so many perspectives, so many directions to take on this character
Hilt (1:19:07 AM): that going one path
Hilt (1:19:11 AM): no matter what the path
Hilt (1:19:18 AM): no matter what the direction
Hilt (1:19:22 AM): is not enough
Jett Livingstone (1:20:01 AM): I'm still here, BTW. Just trying to figure out if that's the end of the speech.
Hilt (1:20:09 AM): yeah you're fine
Hilt (1:20:15 AM): I know, I woudln't expect you to interrupt
Hilt (1:20:17 AM): also
Hilt (1:20:23 AM): if I fall asleep on you
Hilt (1:20:29 AM): copy past this whole thing
Hilt (1:20:33 AM): and send it to me in a pm
Hilt (1:20:36 AM): actually do that ayways
Hilt (1:20:42 AM): if i don't post it in teh olimar boards
Jett Livingstone (1:20:53 AM): You shouldn't fall asleep after asking someone for their total attention.
Hilt (1:20:54 AM): because this is imporatnt
Hilt (1:20:58 AM): hahahahahha
Jett Livingstone (1:21:00 AM): It is important, yes.

And considering it's been a good while since we've had a good spring cleaning, of the boards. I'm not going to be very available today, but tomorrow I'm planning on going over everything. Mostly involving the Q&A reformat, new thread ideas to create discussion, and ways to make what information we already have more available to those that may want it. We basically just need to become more organized.

Hope to hear from any that show interest.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
There was more to that conversation, but I only sent you the important part. =P

My involvement is (hopefully) implied. I'm going to be REALLY busy this week, but I'll make time because this is important.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Should have just made me a mod so I can have a red name.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Modding is more responsibility than reward, Turaz.
The benefits are so insignificant that I'm not really even sure that I'm reaping them, but I'm well-aware of the responsibility when I have people complaining about infractions. ^^;

So nobody is interested in getting better or rebuilding our community?

Turazrok

Smash Master
Modding is more responsibility than reward, Turaz.
The benefits are so insignificant that I'm not really even sure that I'm reaping them, but I'm well-aware of the responsibility when I have people complaining about infractions. ^^;

So nobody is interested in getting better or rebuilding our community?
But I want a red name.

And a MU thread.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I am, but it is espescially what you said. I am just to bad to help.
Disagreed. What I was pointing out in my thread is that these players that think they are too bad to help are not, in actuality. But this mindset (players thinking they're too bad to help, players thinking they're too good to post in here) is what the problem is. Nobody knows who their advice may benefit, what discussions could spark from something seemingly minor.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Disagreed. What I was pointing out in my thread is that these players that think they are too bad to help are not, in actuality. But this mindset (players thinking they're too bad to help, players thinking they're too good to post in here) is what the problem is. Nobody knows who their advice may benefit, what discussions could spark from something seemingly minor.
This is great, but in order to discourage these mindsets, we need to catalogue all of the beneficial posts/ideas into a database, organized by topic etc. This helps to encourage bad players (like me) to post more by recognizing that they ARE occasionally useful... I felt so motivated to do more stuff when my simplified pluck % charts were described as being helpful. It also encourages good players to be more active, because they won't have to wade through all of the terrible useless posts to get to the good stuff, IMO.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I've been bad this whole time. I just post stuff and hope peeps tell me I'm wrong so I can learn

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I'll start posting when my mom starts letting me go to tourneys on a regular basis so that I can actual get some good in-person experience & see if ideas I come up with will be effective.
Unfortunately. I only go to like 4 tourneys a year.

:phone:

Latias

Smash Journeyman
What if you consistently lose to ganon zelda and captain falcon?

Dnyce

Smash Master
I just actually read the collapse tag convo...

If I ever wrote a novel... drunk hilt would be one of the main characters.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I'm never on Skype, always on aim (always invisible, dabuz3). Also, it would help for more topics to be made. I'm assuming most ideas or discussion topics are brought up in the social thread :x

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Which is a big task to keep up with if you don't post in there often... sometimes 3 pages go by in a day

Rust

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rustic
I pretty much just have no motivation whatsoever.

Which is why I've never done anything around here ^^;;

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Well...
  • Apparently my idea for the Q&A thread fell through due to some issue with the coding.
  • I started updating Deflowered, but got distracted. Two of the three outdated sections that I wanted to revise were completed, but the third still needs to be done. That was kind of the important part IMO, as it now answers some of the more commonly asked questions ("How I instant return?" was quite common).
  • Cataloging beneficial posts might be difficult. We were going to do so in an OBR project a while back, but much of that information is already outdated and TBH my table almost didn't survive the process (uber-slow connection, took 10 minutes for one page to load, went through like 80974506596 pages, (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻).

It is nice to see that people were willing to discuss Nolimar in dabuz's thread, so perhaps we should brainstorm topics for discussion. To be honest, I'd be interested in hearing about little tricks that people do, whether it's general, match-up specific, or stage specific, but it's kind of hard to set boundaries for that kind of discussion.
Did you have something specific in mind that you would like to discuss?

Top Bottom