• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Progress w/ Marth(Newbie)

Elliott Crawford

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elliance1
3DS FC
3695-0557-2895
I've been playing PM for 2 months and I have invested a combined 3 weeks of practice days to learning Marth and fundamentals. I am brand new to Melee/PM tech and the following is a video of my progress so far.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4TCafk-wbw

It's 16 minutes long and the quality is ass because I recorded it with my phone, but it's my best resource atm. Even if you skim the video, watching it and giving me feedback in how I'm doing and what I should be doing is VERY appreciated! Keep in mind that I practiced alone 100% of the time up to this point. Thank you! ^_^

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4TCafk-wbw

This is my newest video! It came sooner than expected so I added it in as an update. I focus more on movement this time around but I sprinkled in a couple of things in. I primarily want critique in movement in this video which is only about the first 3-4 minutes. Thank you ^_^

Royaxe

Smash Rookie
You look to have pretty decent techskill for the time you put in, it looks like you can wavedash pretty consistantly outside of battle but wavedashing is only useful if you can combine it your combos or for dodging. What you really need to be practicing is spacing, Marth is all about spacing and you don't seem to have that down yet. Your fsmash misses quite a bit on a non-moving target, you should try setting fox to run and try to land your fsmash. The most important thing you can do is face an actual person, preferably some one who is at the level that you want to be and you can learn from them.

You should practice combos against atleast one character from each weight class
I recommend : Falco for fastfallers, Ganon for heavys, Peach for lights, Link for mediums, and you should try practicing against a Kirby or Puff. These are the ones I like to practice against but you can switch it up.

If you can practice against a person who can DI and fight back you'll learn to use Marth in alot of different ways. You can do all you want in training mode, but that wont teach you to deal with as many situations that an actaul person can.

So my advice is to find a friend that can practice with you who is about your skill level.

Styro

Smash Rookie
A lot of the stuff you did in the video doesn't seem that helpful. If you don't know the basics to the character and the basic tech like L-canceling then going into the lab and playing around is nice. Now what you really need is someone to practice with a develop the mental aspect of the game. Marth is character that rewards playing smart especially in regards to spacing.

Top Bottom