• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Professor Layton General Thread: New Layton Anime coming in April 2018! New trailer available!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Welcome to the Professor Layton general thread, a place where all Layton fans can discuss everything about the Professor Layton games.

Are you perhaps new to the series and want to learn more about it? Well, here's a brief introduction:

Professor Layton is a puzzle game series developed by Level 5 and released on Nintendo DS and 3DS consoles. The series stars Professor Layton, an archaeologist who works at London’s fictional Gressenheller University and is known for his true gentleman & puzzle solving qualities. The games follows Layton's adventures with his trusted apprentice Luke Triton as they solve puzzles and mysteries.

Here's Professor Layton and Luke Triton:

Perhaps they ring a bell? Well, hopefully they should. Layton can be identified by his signature top hat, and Luke can be identified by his beret and blue clothes.

The series doesn't just focus on these two individuals. In fact, each of the Layton games have a diverse ray of interesting and well-written characters that are impossible to dislike. In fact, in addition to the puzzles and brain teasers, the Layton series is known for its rich story-telling that provides exciting, mystery-style plots with some shocking plot twists thrown into the mix!

Currently, there are a total of six games in the main series:

Professor Layton and the Curious Village:

The first game in the series, released for the Nintendo DS in Japan during 2007 and localized elsewhere during 2008. Layton and his young apprentice Luke are invited to the town of St. Mystere by the family of late Baron Augustus Reinhold to figure out the secret behind his last will and testament, in which he stated that anyone who found the Golden Apple hidden within the town would be entitled to his entire fortune. Upon entering the town, it is clear to both of them that the curious village holds many more secrets than they had expected. They solve their way through 138 puzzles to discover the truth behind St. Mystere.

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box:

The second game in the series, released for the Nintendo DS in Japan during 2007 and localized elsewhere during 2009. It is known in PAL regions as Professor Layton and Pandora's Box. It begins with the Professor and Luke traveling to meet Layton's mentor, Dr. Schrader, who has sent the pair a letter detailing his procuring of the Elysian Box, a chest rumored to kill anyone who tried to open it. Upon walking into his apartment, he is found lying on the floor, dead, with the box missing. The only clue he left behind was a train ticket for the high-class Molentary Express without a mentioned destination, which they promptly catch to begin their investigation to find out more on the fate of Dr. Schrader, and the whereabouts of his diabolical box. During their search, they encounter 153 additional puzzles.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future:

The third game in the series, released for the Nintendo DS in Japan during 2008 and localized elsewhere during 2010. It is known in PAL regions as Professor Layton and the Lost Future. The game starts upon Luke receiving a letter purportedly sent by himself, ten years into the future, only a week after an accident in which Dr. Stahngun's failed demonstration of a time machine caused himself and the Prime Minister to vanish. He and Layton travel to a desolate part of town to investigate a clock shop, but upon walking out, find themselves to have been thrust forward into the future London, ten years from then. In their efforts to find the truth of their unwound future, they are forced to solve 168 new puzzles, and to remember a forgotten past. This game is currently the last in the series chronologically.

It is worth noting that these next three games feature an overarching structure in comparison to the first three titles.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter:

The fourth game in the series was released for the Nintendo DS in Japan during 2009 and North America on October 17, 2011. It is known in Europe as Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call. It is, chronologically, the first game in the series, in which Layton is called by an old friend named Clark to the mysterious, dark, and foggy town of Misthallery, where legends exist of a great, shadowy giant who protects the region whenever a special flute is played to summon him. However, recently, the figure has turned against the village, and it is up to the Professor, a young boy of the village named Luke Triton who is heavily involved in the legend of the Specter, and Layton's new assistant Emmy Altava, to figure out why the specter is wreaking havoc in the town. Together, they investigate the village and the Last Specter, and, while doing so, solve another 170 puzzles. In the USA and Japan, the game also includes an RPG called London Life, which was co-developed by Brownie Brown. It was excluded from the EU version due to 'time constraints'.

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask:

The fifth game in the series, released as a launch title for the Nintendo 3DS on February 26, 2011 in Japan, releasing in the UK on October 26, 2012, and in North America on October 28, 2012. Professor Layton, Luke, and Emmy travel to a place known as Monte d'Or in search of a powerful mask said to have created the city. Professor Layton is forced to recall his past in order to uncover the secret of the mask in the present. The truth is hidden deep within the Miracle Mask.

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy:

Level-5 confirmed a 6th and final game for the second trilogy taking place after The Miracle Mask and the second film chronologically. In a Nintendo Direct presentation on August 29, 2012, the title was revealed to be Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy for the Nintendo 3DS and, according to Level 5 CEO Akihiro Hino, is the last Layton title to star Layton himself as the protagonist. It was released in Japan on February 28, 2013, Europe on November 8, 2013, and North America on February 28, 2014. The game features Professor Layton, Luke, and Emmy receiving a letter from a famous archaeologist named Desmond Sycamore regarding the findings of a living mummy within a frozen cave. This mummy is believed to be the last from an ancient civilization known as the Azran. When the trio meets Sycamore and bring the mummy back to life, they find themselves traveling the world to uncover the mystery of the Azran civilization. What they discover along the way are a shocking revelation regarding the Azran. As the final game in the prequel trilogy, Azran Legacy also reveals the answers to many of the questions and mysteries that were built up in Last Specter, Eternal Diva, and Miracle Mask.

The Layton series also featured a successful and warmly received animated film called "Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva." The film takes place between the events of Last Specter and Miracle Mask.

The series is set to release its seventh main installment on July 20, 2017, on iOS/Android devices worldwide as well as on Japanese 3DS systems, followed with a Q3/Q4 2017 release on North American and European 3DS systems. The game is called, "Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy." It will star a new protagonist: Katrielle Layton, Professor Layton's daughter. The plot explores Katrielle searching for her father while solving mysteries across London.

This is Katrielle Layton for those that are curious:

Other notes:

Professor Layton also achieved two spin-offs. One was an iOS/Android game called "Layton Brothers: Mystery Room" that stars Alfendi Layton and his assistant Lucy Baker solving crime-like mysteries. The other spin-off was named "Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney", a crossover title with the popular Ace Attorney series made by Capcom.

Three books on the Layton series were also made, but they are currently a Japan-only release. These books are Professor Layton and the Wandering Castle in 2008, Professor Layton and the Phantom Deity in 2009, and Professor Layton and the Illusory Forest in 2010.

As of April 2015, the series has sold over 15.5 million copies. Yep, it's become quite a big deal if you ask me!

Links:

Here are some links related to the Layton series you might enjoy:

The official Layton series' Twitter account, the number one source for Layton news

Professor Layton's personal Twitter account, worth checking out if you want to follow Layton himself.

The Professor Layton wiki, a useful source that covers almost everything about the Layton games.

The Professor Layton Smash support thread, a thread to check out if you are interested in seeing Professor Layton in Smash

Conclusion:

And with that out of the away, talk all you want about the Professor Layton series! Have fun!

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey nice to see this thread open! ^^

To get things moving a little, lets talk about the upcoming Layton's Mystery Journey. I've heard that they are setting up a Cafe around E3, hopefully we will see a new trailer by then. (Or at least, an English trailer) since the game will be coming out very soon....

Anything you wish to see in this new game?

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Hey nice to see this thread open! ^^

To get things moving a little, lets talk about the upcoming Layton's Mystery Journey. I've heard that they are setting up a Cafe around E3, hopefully we will see a new trailer by then. (Or at least, an English trailer) since the game will be coming out very soon....

Anything you wish to see in this new game?
I'm certain we'll see a new trailer tomorrow, especially with the game releasing on iOS/Android devices next month. It'd be pretty cool if we finally hear the English Dub for the first time. I'm especially interested in hearing Katrielle's English VA.

And it's a shame I won't be in LA when that Layton Cafe will be around. Apparently, they will have some pretty sweet Layton merchandise, including some soundtracks.

As for certain Layton characters I wish to see in upcoming game, I will be a really happy man if this awesome man shows up:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, if Flora's not in the game, at least I can pretend that she's the main character with a new hair style and name change.... :T

Is it just me, or have game dev's become character customization crazy ever since Triforce Heroes came along? :p

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I didn't think there'd be clothing customization in this game, but I'll take it. If they will add more costumes of past characters similar to that Flora costume, I'd be interested in seeing an Emmy Altava costume.

On a different note, we now have a commercial for Layton's Mystery Journey:

I'm guessing the theme that is playing will be the credits theme for the game.

And that shot of child Katrielle and Hershel Layton is adorable.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I figured they might be having some issues transitioning the Layton series to the Switch. The Professor Layton series is still one of the few franchises out there that still heavily rely on the touch screen so I was wondering how they would resolve that. Sure the Switch itself has a touch screen, but in docked mode that might pose a few hurdles here and there.

That said, I'm happy to hear that they are still trying to get it to work though, I would hate to see the Layton series being forced to abandon Nintendo consoles just because of that.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Regarding that problem where developing Layton games on the Switch can be troublesome if the game is played on a dock, one solution I thought of is a new controller that works exclusively for the Layton games. This controller would have some kind of touch interface similar to the PS4 controller where touch inputs would interact with the television screen. That could work well for the Layton games if you were to play it on a docked Switch. I'm not sure of other solutions to the problem

On a different note, we have a new trailer for Layton's Mystery Journey:

It shows us more of the story and the cutscenes. The rich man in the beginning is likely the millionaire the title is referring to, and it seems like the mystery really kicks in when that Titanic-like movie stopped playing in the Theaters. We also see a person with a beret writing a letter at the end of the trailer. Could that be older Luke?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Regarding that problem where developing Layton games on the Switch can be troublesome if the game is played on a dock, one solution I thought of is a new controller that works exclusively for the Layton games. This controller would have some kind of touch interface similar to the PS4 controller where touch inputs would interact with the television screen. That could work well for the Layton games if you were to play it on a docked Switch. I'm not sure of other solutions to the problem

On a different note, we have a new trailer for Layton's Mystery Journey:

It shows us more of the story and the cutscenes. The rich man in the beginning is likely the millionaire the title is referring to, and it seems like the mystery really kicks in when that Titanic-like movie stopped playing in the Theaters. We also see a person with a beret writing a letter at the end of the trailer. Could that be older Luke?
I suppose if there is no other way, then I guess they can do that. I suppose it would also be useful for other touch screen reliant games such as Art Academy and Flipnote Studio so I guess I can see Nintendo developing a type of Switch Pro Controller with Touch Screen Support at some point.

As for the trailer, I think what Kat's daydreaming about are the past adventures of Hershel, at least those images seem to reference Pandora's Box, Lost Future and Azran Legacy, just with odd redesigns though. I guess Kat wasn't in any of those adventures, she's just picturing them in her own head to what those things might have looked like....

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
As for the trailer, I think what Kat's daydreaming about are the past adventures of Hershel, at least those images seem to reference Pandora's Box, Lost Future and Azran Legacy, just with odd redesigns though. I guess Kat wasn't in any of those adventures, she's just picturing them in her own head to what those things might have looked like....
I didn't notice the last image in that scene was referring to Azran Legacy because it looked dark, but now that I look at it again, you're right.

It's a reference to the Azran Golems.

I'm guessing in that cutscene, Kat is raving about her father and the various adventures he had.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Hey y'all! It's been a while. Sorry for the double post, but I think now would be a good time to revive this thread, especially with a bunch of exciting Layton news that just came out today:

-First off, The Total Licensing Magazine has reported that A Professor Layton TV series is in development. It is set to be 26 episodes long and is slated for a 2018 release.

-Second of all, a new Layton game is coming next year, slated for a Summer 2018 release. There will also be a reboot to Inazuma Eleven Ares coming around that same time.

I'm pretty interested in that Layton TV series. The last time we had an animation on the big screen of some sort was Eternal Diva, which was really good. I wonder how they will handle this TV series. An overarching story, or more episodic in format? Either way, I'm sure it will be worth watching.

As for the Layton game, I speculate it will be the second game in the Lady Layton series.

Speaking of Lady Layton, Layton's Mystery Journey will be releasing in North America and Europe this Friday, October 6, for the Nintendo 3DS! Just a few days left!

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oooh this is great to hear, though at the same time I'm a bit confused. Will it be an animated series much like Eternal Diva or would it be live action. I heard Level-5 was experimenting on a live action movie once, but that said, I hope It's animated.

I also wonder during which trilogy it would take place, the original trilogy, the prequels or the new LMJ series. I personally hope It's during the original trilogy as I feel that an animated series would do wonders for characters that didn't get much screentime and development and there where quite a few in that trilogy that could have used a bit more of an expansion on their story, such as Flora, Katia and Claire.

Also a new game this soon? Well I wouldn't expect anything less from Level-5, I do hope that they don't rush the game though.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Hi y'all! It's been a while, but we got some big Layton news recently:

The Professor Layton anime is officially coming this April. The anime will focus on Katrielle Layton along with her sidekicks. A trailer for the anime just came out today:

I still need to play Layton's Mystery Journey for myself, but I heard the game is rather episodic in its story-telling compared to past Layton games, and this anime seems to also be episodic, which is fitting for Katrielle's games. We might see overarching story elements here and there, but I am looking forward to see how this anime will turn out.

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I recently watched the first episode of the newer anime. I like how Level-5 seems to give plenty of room and time for new characters to develop. A friend of mine gave me a copy of the first game but unfortunately it's not really my thing since the puzzles always manage to go over my head. Props to those that can figure it out without a guide.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would like to say now, is it just me, or are the puzzles in Layton's Mystery Journey ridiculously easy?
From what I recall, they got a new guy to do the puzzles as the original passed away. I heard the puzzles in general where quite polarizing in LMJ.

Anyway, you might find some more activity at the Professor Layton support thread as this one's been a tad inactive since last year...

Top Bottom