• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Professor Chops' Super Kong Kollege - The DK Video Thread

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Just had a match with Denti's Sheik on Anther's Ladder with no customs. Brutal.

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
Hello Dank Manks. I am not a jungle dweler for my heart lies in the hands of a blond paralysing, PSI weilding duo. But the King has a special place in my heart. So please enjoy this video!

A pretty good Ganon goes from 0% to 78% very fast!

Eduardo Jose Pulido

Smash Rookie
NNID
SQNGQKU
I want to just start out by saying that I'm new to posting on smashboards so I'm sorry if I've messed up any formatting issues.

Okay so I've been playing Training mode and testing out the possibilities with DK and his new and improved Cargo Upthrow (v1.1.0). So I did this. This was uploaded through the new YouTube upload feature that came with the new patch.

Now here is my question: Is that a legitimate combo after the Footstool? Its blatantly obvious that the cargo upthrow grab into footstool is not a combo, not even in the slightest. But if I were to get that footstool, is everything leading forward from there a combo? Here is the string on training mode, sorry for potato quality.

Also I was thinking that between the jabs and ReGrab, that it is possible that certain characters may be able to jump out of the way, thus escaping the ReGrab. So that is why I did this. Again, sorry for potato quality.

The only differences between these strings is that jab and down tilt and reversed in order from the first one. In other words, after the dair from the footstool, I lead with Jab Jab then down tilt, thereby causing Captain Falcon to trip and allow for a ReGrab. If there's any other information you need to know, hit me up. Thanks for reading and I hope I didn't waste your time.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I want to just start out by saying that I'm new to posting on smashboards so I'm sorry if I've messed up any formatting issues.

Okay so I've been playing Training mode and testing out the possibilities with DK and his new and improved Cargo Upthrow (v1.1.0). So I did this. This was uploaded through the new YouTube upload feature that came with the new patch.

Now here is my question: Is that a legitimate combo after the Footstool? Its blatantly obvious that the cargo upthrow grab into footstool is not a combo, not even in the slightest. But if I were to get that footstool, is everything leading forward from there a combo? Here is the string on training mode, sorry for potato quality.

Also I was thinking that between the jabs and ReGrab, that it is possible that certain characters may be able to jump out of the way, thus escaping the ReGrab. So that is why I did this. Again, sorry for potato quality.

The only differences between these strings is that jab and down tilt and reversed in order from the first one. In other words, after the dair from the footstool, I lead with Jab Jab then down tilt, thereby causing Captain Falcon to trip and allow for a ReGrab. If there's any other information you need to know, hit me up. Thanks for reading and I hope I didn't waste your time.
Welcome to smashboards. You have a pretty cool string there. I never really thought about footstooling after Cargo Utoss. Your combo isn't really a combo, but if they mess up your string can be pretty devastating.

You can't followup on the footstool unless you time the fastfall perfectly and do it from a little higher (SH Cargo Utoss height). Jab combo also doesn't combo into anything, but it does put them in a good position to followup on. You can actually combo into the footstool btw if you full hop Cargo Utoss, but it puts them too high to make him bounce on the ground.

Cool concept, but I only think it will work if they mess up.

Eduardo Jose Pulido

Smash Rookie
NNID
SQNGQKU
Welcome to smashboards. You have a pretty cool string there. I never really thought about footstooling after Cargo Utoss. Your combo isn't really a combo, but if they mess up your string can be pretty devastating.

You can't followup on the footstool unless you time the fastfall perfectly and do it from a little higher (SH Cargo Utoss height). Jab combo also doesn't combo into anything, but it does put them in a good position to followup on. You can actually combo into the footstool btw if you full hop Cargo Utoss, but it puts them too high to make him bounce on the ground.

Cool concept, but I only think it will work if they mess up.
Thank you for the welcome. I was trying it more to see if there was anything I can do to refine it. I think I was only able to perfectly time the fast fall only once, guaranteeing a follow up. I feel like this string is one of those really janky mix-ups that would definitely catch an opponent off guard. I will report this back once I get this string on a real person. Thanks for the feedback and I hope to get back to the DK forums soon.

Slowchamp

Smash Rookie
I just had a match with one of my favorite youtubers Shofu in tournament mode! Im surprised how the match turned out, I've watched his streams and have seen him do well in tournaments.

Sorry for the cellphone quality, Tournament mode doesn't let you save the matches!

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I'm pretty new to Donkey Kong myself. I put together a montage of some For Glory and 1v1 matches with friends.
Having so much fun with this character.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Oh baby, double Shieldbreak in this fight:

I guess my opponent suffered a severe Kong-cussion afterwards

Neonicus

Smash Rookie
NNID
blueneonwarrior
@ MysteriousSilver MysteriousSilver You should work on your cargo up throw, up air combos, and I did not see you charge the
DK punch once. The DK punch is great for intimadation, it comes out super quick, and has great range + super armor (when fully charged) Bairs are great for defense and offense

Last edited:

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
I know there are a lot of people interested in picking up DK, but can't seem to get the cargo uthrow > air to work at high percents. I put a short tutorial together for beginner DK players to help them out with this.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
So I was at a customs tourney and went vanilla DK/Falcon. Lucky me got to play one of the best players in my area for my second set. Massacre is at 01:36:00

http://www.twitch.tv/blacktwins13/v/15553347?t=01h36m00s

any halp and tips would be appreciated
Against floaty people like Luigi and Yoshi, Jab -> Grab doesn't work that well because they can Nair before landing to punish you for trying it before they are at high %'s. You did best vs Luigi when you stuck to outspacing him with Bair. Never air dodge after he Dthrows you because it is too slow to save you from his followups and you are always too low to the ground to air dodge without lag. You also probably need to practice pivoting offstage during the Cargo Hold a bit more so you can pull it off under pressure. I am also guilty of this, but you should try not to use Side B on shield unless you know it will break. It is way too unsafe to throw out if it doesn't break their shield.

Against DK I think you did fine, outside of you just getting overwhelmed for whatever reason the first stock. Just don't be lazy with Up B and chances are you won't get spiked. At very high %'s and especially on stages with platforms, you can Jump with CBT to finish them off. Most characters get KO'd at around 170% no rage. On plats and with rage it can KO a lot sooner.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Against floaty people like Luigi and Yoshi, Jab -> Grab doesn't work that well because they can Nair before landing to punish you for trying it before they are at high %'s. You did best vs Luigi when you stuck to outspacing him with Bair. Never air dodge after he Dthrows you because it is too slow to save you from his followups and you are always too low to the ground to air dodge without lag. You also probably need to practice pivoting offstage during the Cargo Hold a bit more so you can pull it off under pressure. I am also guilty of this, but you should try not to use Side B on shield unless you know it will break. It is way too unsafe to throw out if it doesn't break their shield.

Against DK I think you did fine, outside of you just getting overwhelmed for whatever reason the first stock. Just don't be lazy with Up B and chances are you won't get spiked. At very high %'s and especially on stages with platforms, you can Jump with CBT to finish them off. Most characters get KO'd at around 170% no rage. On plats and with rage it can KO a lot sooner.
Thank you very much. I was indeed playing very sloppy whether it was by intimidation or not. Gonna lab on those stage spikes. Once again thx for the advice.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
So I was at a customs tourney and went vanilla DK/Falcon. Lucky me got to play one of the best players in my area for my second set. Massacre is at 01:36:00

http://www.twitch.tv/blacktwins13/v/15553347?t=01h36m00s

any halp and tips would be appreciated

You should mash up-b when luigi is trying to combo you especially on stages that have a lot of platforms or if the smashville platform is coming close. Acouple times you used up-b and landed on the stage or used it on battlefield and just got punished. As DK you need to be as safe as possible around characters that can punish hard like luigi or another DK. Jabs are your best friend in the luigi match up they stop his grabs and his fireballs. Luigi's recovery is his biggest weakness if you went off stage vs him more i think you could have really turned the game around. Some times that guy would literally just run up and grab you, shield is a great option for DK but against a grab happy luigi you need dtilts and jabs to keep him out. Like Big O said he was reading your airdodges hard, its sucks for DK but usually your best option is to jump out or mash up-b in those dthrow situations. You definitely have the potential to beat that guy though, goodluck next time.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Could you critique my DK please? Any input will be helpful!

DkDaggers

Smash Rookie
Nice stuff ZZZ! A couple of things I noticed:

1) No grounded down B. Although it has a ton of cooldown, ground and pound can be really useful to punish ledge getups, badly-spaced landings, and is also great for tech chases.

2) In the Rosalina match you missed quite a few opportunities to combo Luma. Once she's out of the picture things get a LOT easier for DK. Grabs become workable for us, and Rosa's killing options are severely limited. It's sometimes worth missing a punish and a bit of % on Rosa to take her out in my opinion.

3) You tended to recover facing forwards which left you open to quite a bit of edgeguarding. By B-reversing and then cancelling the giant punch windup you can turn around for free and give yourself the option of Bairing back to safety if you happen to be facing forwards when knocked off stage.

All in all your DK looks very good though!

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Great idea on the recovering backwards! I've never thought of it. Thats going to help so much with people who try to spike me like falcon or rosa, yeah i always forget how good down-b is haha. Thanks for the advice!

DkDaggers

Smash Rookie
Hey Venks,

I have a friend who mains MM and I could never get in on him for the longest time. I've now played the matchup enough to go pretty even with him.

The key against MM is dash attack. It's better at dealing with the gear than block or airdodge since it grabs it while throwing out a hitbox. If you have the percentage or stock lead then a good tactic when you have it is to limit yourself to B moves, leaving him without his main long-distance spacing tool. Dash attacks will also force MM to go for shieldgrabs, which will allow you to mix in dash grabs instead, leading to big damage and kills (MM is very susceptible to all the ACT shenanigans). If you have mastered extended dash dancing that gives you even more spacing options with dash attack.

The other way of getting inside is short-hopped bairs. Since you can squeeze out 2 bairs from a single short hop it is a good way of closing the distance. If MM stops throwing out lemons and goes for shieldgrabs then you can start mixing in empty jump to grabs.

Other than that, you did well to consistently avoid his dair spike several times, and at least you made him work for the kill (you survived to about 150% virtually every stock).

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
This is a team combo exhibition my doubles partner and I threw together. It shows off most things we figured out but we forgot Sheik Jab at the ledge to DK D-Air spike. Hope you enjoy!

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Made a video for newer DK players showcasing some of the possible combos DK has from his cargo upthrow.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Just a montage I made featuring spikes and combos I've done with Donkey Kong, may it expand many dongs. Looking for some critique so I can improve my future videos! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXckZ67FRjM
There is nothing particularly wrong I just think your kills are too simple. Like most of them are single hits that are the result of the opponent making a very simple mistake.

I say just get more creative and daring. Chase people off the stage like Dk is hanging on to Sqwaks. Show us a few more kills that are from set ups that are a little more elaborate.

Top Bottom