• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Mewter

Smash Master
Yeah, Berry Pots are an improvement.
Make sure to water them every three hours or so. I once planted about four Oran berries in there and brought the pots out later, only to discover all four of the trees had grown five berries each.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Who seriously uses the Poketch other than Chaining, Happiness, and the Pokemon Daycare?

Does anybody know if Articuno will still be there when you face it in the Seafoam Islands and defeat it in HG/SS?

I wanna try and capture it, but after Snorlax, I'm afraid I might kill it accidentally...

I would SR to get it shiny, but I can't risk seeing it shiny and killing it by mistake

Mewter

Smash Master
Get Scizor and teach it false swipe.
Or import some Master Balls. I'll trade some to you if you want.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I don't have wi fi... thanks for the offer though, appreciate it...

now to wait for the bug catching contest to get a scyther to evolve to scizor

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
On HGSS when breeding if it says "they play with other pokemon instead of each other" does that mean they won't make eggs, or the chance is lower? My larvitar and tyranitar say that, but serebii says they can breed. Does that mean some larvitars will and some won't, or what? I bred larvitar and Tyranitar on platinum before, so I'm kinda confused

Mewter

Smash Master
No worry. I'll just walk to... New.. Bark Town, and give you some!

Do you know anyone near you/ a place that has Wi-Fi?

Never mind. They can't breed.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
If that larvitar is the son or daughter of one of its parents, its incapable of breeding... just thought I'd point that out there

EDIT:... yes but he's not home at the moment so I can't go... plus I don't think he wants me over so late anyways...

I WAS gonna go wi fi today, but my guitar lessons were cancelled so I can't go over there

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Actually you're wrong there, I found out the real reason. They were both female LOL.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
This really sucks. I have an Adamant Ttar with 31/31/30/25/30/20 IVs but it's the wrong nature(Adamant, not Jolly), and it's female. I'd like 31 speed anyways, but that makes breeding really hard, unless someone has an uber iv jolly ditto on here. Because mine blows eggs from a straw.

Speaking of Ttar, I'm semi-confused on ultmario's sleeptalk ttar. If you're going to have no speed Evs, why be Jolly? Does it make it outspeed leadgross and Swampert, etc, or what? <.< Just been curious about that for a while.

jokey665

Smash Ace
This really sucks. I have an Adamant Ttar with 31/31/30/25/30/20 IVs but it's the wrong nature(Adamant, not Jolly), and it's female. I'd like 31 speed anyways, but that makes breeding really hard, unless someone has an uber iv jolly ditto on here. Because mine blows eggs from a straw.

Speaking of Ttar, I'm semi-confused on ultmario's sleeptalk ttar. If you're going to have no speed Evs, why be Jolly? Does it make it outspeed leadgross and Swampert, etc, or what? <.< Just been curious about that for a while.
I'll take the adamant Ttar off your hands if you don't want it >_>

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm sure TONS of people will want an Adamant Tyranitar with 31 Attack IVs.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I smell a Pokeswapping post.

Q: Mixed Poliwhirl (at the moment) for in-game. Yay or nay.
It's only mixed since it has a +Sp Atk nature. =\

-Terywj

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I suppose anybody can suggest a move for my Typhlosion to learn to take out Misty and Brock? Most of my team is useless with lvl 35s in it... yeah I don't think pulling an Ash was the smartest thing to do... I think I MIGHT change to my old team.

Typhlosion knows:

Flamethrower
Rock Smash
Eruption
Rollout

Its a lvl 59

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Well if you have Rollout on it you might as well remove Rock Smash for Thunderpunch of something.
Typhlosion learns Earthquake too I believe.

-Terywj

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, but it needs to get BT at the battle frontier which I am really lazy to do...

Rock Smash was basically the easiest fighting move to get easily...

Something tells me I'll end up switching back to my old team...

SilentVerse

Smash Journeyman
Argh, so I've almost finished RNGing my first Pokemon, and I decided for a finishing touch, I would hatch it in a Heal Ball, mainly for aesthetics. However, I have no idea how to do this, so:

Q: How do you hatch a Pokemon in something other than a Poke Ball?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yeah I think Pokesav is the only way to do so. I remember seeing that on Smogon, so yeah.

Nobody answered my previous question, however.

-Terywj

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
@Tery: I don't know enough about Poliwhirl and his movepool, but just about anything works in-game.

@roach: SR button combo is L+R+Start+Select

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Got a second question. I am almost at Articuno at the Seafoam Islands. I plan SR shiny it (yeah wish me luck) and I was wondering, is it shinyness determined the moment you step in front of Articuno, or if you stand in front of it, save it and start SRing, will it be shiny?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I have a question, Jolly Larvitar 31/31/27/X(forget)/24/31 <.< Should I get higher defenses; I don't see a point honestly... 4defese/7special defense seems ... idk <.<
As for the post up there, I don't know, I need lots of masterballs <.<; Sring lugia without using one made me realize that method is bull****

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I smell a Pokeswapping post.

Q: Mixed Poliwhirl (at the moment) for in-game. Yay or nay.
It's only mixed since it has a +Sp Atk nature. =\

-Terywj
Lol this might not be the answer you want, but it's in game, anything can work in game.

Got a second question. I am almost at Articuno at the Seafoam Islands. I plan SR shiny it (yeah wish me luck) and I was wondering, is it shinyness determined the moment you step in front of Articuno, or if you stand in front of it, save it and start SRing, will it be shiny?
From SRing. You could break dance around Articuno and it wouldn't change one thing about him being shiny or not.

I have a question, Jolly Larvitar 31/31/27/X(forget)/24/31 <.< Should I get higher defenses; I don't see a point honestly... 4defese/7special defense seems ... idk <.<
As for the post up there, I don't know, I need lots of masterballs <.<; Sring lugia without using one made me realize that method is bull****
Dude keep that little ****er

Daft_Punk

Smash Rookie
Please rate me Alakazam, and tell me which item would fit him best, besides leftovers please!
Alakazam @
Timid
Synchronize
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/6Hp
-Encore
-Signal Beam
-Psychic
-Substitute

-Encore was hard to get in there, but its an aweosome move, and gives me a turn to get in substitute, and gives me a great advantage over baton pass users. Signal Beam is a great move against Psychic/Dark types, and of Course STAB Psychic can do a wholly amount of damage to those weak in SpDef. And substitute is a great way to switch safely. So yeah.

A_man13

Smash Master
@Daft Punk: There is another thread for this in the RMT subforum. I'll still critique it. Welcome to SWF, BTW. Another Colorado person joins... :D

It looks like most variants of scizor and Heatran will really give this set trouble. They resist both of your attacking moves, they are choiced and therefore will not mind Encore, and with how frail Kazam is you are done for if they land a slight hit (which is compounded by substitute). My advice is to change this set to trickscraf/trickspecs. Same EVs, just change encore to trick and replace substitute with Focus blast. With this, you at least stand a chance against heatran (and possibly scizor, though I would have to run the calculations) should you catch them on the switch while still forcing them to repeat a move over and over again.

If you really like the idea you want to do and want to use it, I'd suggest using a Machamp. He has Encore and substitute at his disposal, plus higher HP (stronger subs), a 100% accurate confusion move in dynamic punch (assuming no guard) for more switch punishing, and payback for ghosts. It's a great idea, but Machamp is a lot more durable than Alakazam and has a better movepool overall.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom