• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Premium
Slippi.gg
RJM#615

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash was a bi-weekly Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament hosted in Calgary. These tournaments have been discontinued as of February 14th, 2008.

See The Alberta Thread for other local smash!

Click here to view matches and video highlight reels from previous bi-weeklies!
The Pro Impact Players will be hosting bi-weekly Super Smash Bros. Melee double elimination tournaments in Calgary, open to all those who want to join! If you would like to join the Pro Impact roster, all you gotta do is make an appearance in the comfort of our lovely abode at:

#1, 103 Huntington Prk Grn NW

Located in the lush green meadow of Huntington Hills, just several blocks west of Centre Street and a variety of local amenities, it sounds like an apartment, but it's actually a part of a six-piece shared housing unit that behaves more like a real house than an apartment does. Either way, it's got pretty much everything we'll need. For example:

What you need to bring:

- nothing.

You can expect a lovely new flatscreen television, a reasonable amount of couch space, four wavebirds and the option to have the matches all recorded just for kicks. :cool: I understand that many competitive players choose to bring their own controllers as well and after some wavebird-related confusion, we've resolved the issue and you are now able to easily swap out your favourite controller if you would like.

All you have to worry about is getting here. If that proves to be difficult, tell me where you're coming from and what modes of transportation are available to you and I'll attempt to direct you from there.

The structure of the smashing will be dependent on attendance, but we will most likely have enough people to at least hold a double elimination tournament and then stick around to play some friendlies to your heart's content. We do occasionally have time for a subsequent teams tournament as well.

For each bi-weekly event, we would like to have some idea of how many people will be attending before it actually happens. We don't live in a particularly large house and thankfully we don't live in a particularly large Smash community. Odds are we'll have to cap it at about 16 players so please post in this thread if you would like to attend.

If you have any general questions or questions that are not covered in the event-specific posts below, please feel free to send me an e-mail, or use one of the many convenient ways of trying to get ahold of me available on my profile. I filled out those fields for a reason, dontcha know.
:)
Additional Information

RULES

Singles

Players will be seeded randomly into a double-elimination tournament bracket. If we have an uneven number of participants, certain players will be automatically advanced in the bracket without penalty by way of a bye.

Matches will be decided based on a best-of-3 games set, wherein the first player to win two games will advance into the winner's bracket. Players entering the losing bracket are able to lose once more before being eliminated.

The final set of the tournament will be a best-of-5, wherein the first player to win three games will be declared the victor.

Game Format

• 4 Stock
  • 8:00 Time Limit
  • Items OFF
  • Friendly Fire ON

Random Stages:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land (N64)
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Pokémon Stadium

Banned Stages:
  • Brinstar Depths
  • Green Greens
  • Flatzone
  • Fourside
  • Great Bay
  • Big Blue
  • Jungle Japes
  • Yoshi's Island (N64)

• The stage for the opening game of any set will be selected randomly.
  • The loser of the previous game reserves the option to choose what stage the next game will be played on.
  • The loser of the previous game may not pick a Banned Stage, unless both players agree.

Regarding character selection...
Officially, the character selection for the opening match should be done simultaneously (as per double-blind picks) so neither knows each other's character beforehand. However, this rule is largely ignored in practicum. Nevertheless, all players reserve the right to force a double-blind pick if you're really worried about it.

Speaking of rules that we like to ignore in the spirit of communal gameplay, officially, the loser of the previous game should select the stage for the upcoming match before the winner chooses his character. This arrangement is referred to as slob picks and a full 3-game set would go something like this:

• Game 1 - Double-blind character selection; random stage.
  • Game 2
    • Loser of Game 1 chooses stage for Game 2.
    • Winner selects character.
    • Loser selects character.
  • Game 3
    • Loser of Game 2 chooses stage for Game 3.
    • Winner selects character.
    • Loser selects character.

Logistically, this doesn't work out since the stage select screen follows the character select screen in the actual game, forcing the loser of the previous game to announce the stage verbally. But again, these are the formal rules that need only come up if the player chooses to enforce them and feels that doing otherwise would detrimentally affect the outcome of the tournament. :)
LEAGUE STANDINGS

The league standings above are cumulative statistics based on the wins and losses of each player at our bi-weekly smashfests. It's fairly straightforward: once you've played a match at one of our tournaments, your name goes up on the list. If you live in the southern half of Calgary, you will be listed in the Calgary South division and if you live in the north (or downtown), you'll be put under Calgary North.

Interprovincial Guests and International Guests are for Edmonton/Red Deer/BC, etc. guests and American/Australian/Israeli/Micronesian, etc. guests attending the tournaments respectively. The per-division rankings are based on total points; 2 points are awarded for a win, 0 for a loss and 1 for losing in Sudden Death. It should be noted that although the individual rounds in the tournaments are based on sets of 3 games, the wins, losses and sudden death losses are calculated based on the individual games played.

LAG

The television that we play on is a high-definition, flatscreen unit that is brand, spankin' new. However, recently there have been many reports about laggy response times between the Gamecube and many high-definition models. More specifically, the time it takes to render your controller's inputs from your fingers to the image on the television is delayed by approximately 15 frames (or ¼ of a second). As Smash is a very time-sensitive game, this can be detrimental for skilled players.

We've managed to circumvent most of the problem. Our television actually comes with a built-in feature called "Game Mode," designed specifically to reduce lag in hyper-sensitive games like Smash! Luckily our model was new enough that the problem had been recognized prior to its release. However, I should also mention that "Game Mode" is not perfect. Instead, it's designed to reduce lag by about 60%, or so the manual says. To further improve the response time and picture quality, we have also replaced the original Gamecube's RCA cables with a 3-way composite video cable to improve overall performance. Keep in mind that there is no way to completely 100% remove the lag in this situation, and that the best way comes with a $2,000 bill that us Pro Impact Players just haven't won enough tournaments to afford. :)

PRO IMPACT BI-WEEKLY ROSTER

We've tried to establish a list based on actual gamer aliases, which is not to be confused with your in-game 4-character smash tag. For example, PC Chris is known as PC Chris, but his tag in game is simply "PC."

When introducing yourself, please let us know what your preferred gamer alias is, if different from your SmashBoards name.

This is the current roster of Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash participants:

Calgary North
  • MICH (Mitch)
  • RJM (Randall)
  • JIN (Chris)
  • BackItch (Chad)
  • DJT (Jeremy)
  • PKT (Preston)
  • DEAN (Dean)
  • Koda (Kevin)
  • Myth (Pat)

Calgary South
  • xpiritflare (John)
  • =] (Levi)
  • Kithkin (Brad)
  • NEAT (Riley)
  • Nitrocidal (Alex)
  • Seyasha ("Zane")
  • Buddyvishnu (David)
  • Infil (Ricky)
  • M (Allan)

May or may not exist....
A short list of players who have considered coming to the bi-weeklies, but they have yet to play in a tournament or with tournament participants.
  • I T I (Josh)
  • Blueinfusion (Arvind)

NOTE: Everything below this line is an archive of older discussions regarding Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash. For information and discussion regarding the upcoming tournament, please refer to the last page of this thread.

The competitive smash scene in Calgary doesn't seem to have much life these days and I figure the biggest reason for this is that Calgary smashers retired from the game before branching out into the larger community. That, or they don't exist at all, which is less likely I think considering the thriving competition in other Canadian urban centres like Edmonton and Vancouver.

As such, us Pro Impact Players are looking to do something about that and will be hosting bi-weekly miniature smashfests in the comfort of our lovely abode at:

#1, 103 Huntington Prk Grn NW

Located in the lush green meadow of Huntington Hills, just several blocks west of Centre Street and a variety of local amenities, it sounds like an apartment, but it's actually a part of a six-piece shared housing unit that behaves more like a real house than an apartment does. Either way, it's got pretty much everything we'll need. For example:

What you need to bring:

- nothing.

You can expect a lovely new flatscreen television, a reasonable amount of couch space, four wavebirds and the option to have the matches all recorded just for kicks. :cool:

All you have to worry about is getting here. If that proves to be difficult, tell me where you're coming from and what modes of transportation are available to you and I'll attempt to direct you from there.

The structure of the smashing will be dependent on attendance, but we will most likely have enough people to at least hold a small double elimination tournament and then stick around to play some friendlies to your heart's content.

For each bi-weekly event, we would like to have some idea of how many peopl will be attending before it actually happens. We don't live in a particularly large house and thankfully we don't live in a particularly large Smash community. Odds are we'll have to cap it at about 16 players so please post in this thread if you would like to attend.

If you have any general questions or questions that are not covered in the event-specific posts below, please feel free to send me an e-mail, or use one of the many convenient ways of trying to get ahold of me available on my profile. I filled out those fields for a reason, dontcha know. :)

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Premium
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash #1 - Oct. 22, 2006

We will be hosting our first bi-weekly Smash session on Sunday, October 22nd, 2006.

As this is the first event we've tried to put together, it is likely going to take at least one disorganized romp before we work out the bugs in the system. A keen observer will note that October 22nd is, indeed, tomorrow, which doesn't offer much notice to anyone who I haven't spoken to about it already. Realistically, this thread is here as a formality and placeholder for future bi-weeklies since the only attendees we expect for the first event have already been in contact with me.

Now, then moving on to more important information:

Date: Sunday, October 22nd, 2006

Time: 1:00 PM

Place: #1, 103 Huntington Prk Grn NW

Contact No.: 869-3971

We hope to have everyone around for about 1:00 in the afternoon which will give us enough of a Sunday morning to prepare for everything. As it is in my nature to be a good host, I'll try and see to it that the environment is hospitable and no one is ever dehydrated to the best of my ability. :)

The telephone number above rings straight to my cell phone from a Calgary area code and I accept calls 24 hours a day...even from total strangers...so if you find yourself having nightmares at 4 in the morning and waking up in a cold sweat because you're not sure whether you can counterpick Rainbow Cruise at the next bi-weekly, have no fear! Just give me a ring and I'll roll haphazardly out of bed to answer your call. Maybe.

We would like to know who is attending before 1:00 actually rolls around too as well just in case we end up trying to seat 35 people who didn't sign up in one 3-bedroom home.

So, if you would like to attend, please post here. There will be a 16 player cap on our first event (if not all) and I will post the names of the confirmed and unconfirmed attendees below. If you find that all of a sudden it's Sunday and the bi-weekly starts in half an hour but you're still on the "unconfirmed" list, don't even worry about it. Unless we already have 16 confirmed players and another 6 on the waiting list before you, I'm sure we can find space.

Hopefully this works well and I look forward to playing with some fellow Smashers of Calgary.

CONFIRMED
  1. RJM
  2. MICH
  3. JIN
  4. Mariownage
  5. BackItch
  6. kithkin

UNCONFIRMED

kithkin

Smash Champion
this is me confirming. I am there.

look forward to it, and, nah it turns out it was a little too short noticed for my friends, the next one probably i can get 1 or two. but this ones just me.

so looking forward to owning you guys.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Premium
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Yeesh, trashtalking already? We must learn to cooperate if we are to build an army of Calgarian smashers, children.

*hypnotizes*

Sleeeep....sleeeep....

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
good to see im on the confirmed list; by the way i can come [i thought that joke was kinda funny] anyways appreciation to Kithikin for carpooling and the Pro Impact Players for hosting

kithkin

Smash Champion
heh, fine i'll lay off

...for now. :p

but yeah see ya tommorow, (with levi it seems) and yeah your welcome, but i should be thanking you for the way back.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Premium
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Looks like it'll be a pretty small turnout the first time around so we may not structure this one like a tournament but rather an excuse to smash, but there are other candidates in the queues for future bi-weeklies, so we'll keep it running and see if there is any life in the Calgary smash scene.

kithkin

Smash Champion
yeah, maybe establish a calgary team of what we have, but thats me thinking too highly of myself, we need a good group of people, not just some people (sorry if anyones offended) and the pro impact players.

kithkin

Smash Champion
looking forward to the next one aswell, i hope i dont fight mich off the bat again, i mean i could beat anyone there but him, i did everytime we played a non-tournament match

in fact, i won every match we didnt record... Its the truth and you know it!

kithkin

Smash Champion
double post of doom.

actually do you have that tournament making program, or actually could you tell me what you used to record the games, and the program you used to set up the tournament. that'd be great, thanks.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Premium
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
The tournament program is tio, programmed by nealdt. The software for capturing the video signal is called WinTV and just happened to come with the capture card we bought for the computer.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Premium
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY #2 - Nov. 5th, 2006

We will be hosting our second bi-weekly Smash session on Sunday, November 5th, 2006.

Now we've got a couple of weeks to see if we can dig up some more people who would be interested in playing.

For review:

Date: Sunday, November 5th, 2006

Time: 1:00 PM

Place: #1, 103 Huntington Prk Grn NW

Contact No.: 869-3971

The telephone number above rings straight to my cell phone from a Calgary area code and I accept calls 24 hours a day...even from total strangers...so if you find yourself having nightmares at 4 in the morning and waking up in a cold sweat because you're not sure whether you can counterpick Rainbow Cruise at the next bi-weekly, have no fear! Just give me a ring and I'll roll haphazardly out of bed to answer your call. Maybe.

We would like to know who is attending before 1:00 actually rolls around too as well just in case we end up trying to seat 35 people who didn't sign up in one 3-bedroom home.

So, if you would like to attend, please post here. There will be a 16 player cap on this event and I will post the names of the confirmed and unconfirmed attendees below. If you find that all of a sudden it's Sunday and the bi-weekly starts in half an hour but you're still on the "unconfirmed" list, don't even worry about it. Unless we already have 16 confirmed players and another 6 on the waiting list before you, I'm sure we can find space.

CONFIRMED
  1. RJM
  2. JIN
  3. Mariownage
  4. BackItch
  5. kithkin
  6. Jon
  7. nitro-blazer
  8. Jake

UNCONFIRMED
  • DEAN
  • Rhys
  • Jamie
  • Josh

kithkin

Smash Champion
heh yeah, i actually suggest you just edit the second post or something so more people see it, but i guess its fine until we hit like lots of pages.

thanks for the programs (well telling me what) by the way.

also you might as well confirm me for next time, cause i'm in.

Edit: i might also have a friend or two willing to come as always, but i'm checking that, and will get back when can.

kithkin

Smash Champion
i should learn to edit more

hm i cant find where to get tio and such, but i'll work on it.

but yeah if you wanna put down my possible friends i believe they would just go as jamie, and rhys (actual names)

although that may switch up a bit.

but yeah next times gonna be awesome, we gotta make sure to tape the first round matches, aswell as wake up chris.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
You can toss me on the "Confirmed" list. Last time was a blast! I can hardly wait to get back into Smash more.

I'm also trying to get a friend of mine to come by. Unconfirmed for now, but his name is Jake.

Looks like kithkin and I need to be seeded together, or at least have a few 1v1's. I'm tired of always hearing "I can take his Peach no-problem! Just keep Mario away from me" Pfft. :laugh:

(just kidding, man. Looking forward to the next one!)

kithkin

Smash Champion
heh, yeah that **** mario, but next time yeah we gotta do a 1v1, see if i really know what i'm talking about.

yo, randall, next time put me in the starting against chad alright? :chuckle:

Edit: then again, you were the only one to come close to beating mich. hrm.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good.

I'm sure you'll put up more of a fight than that "bye" guy I destoryed in the first round.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
i think im gonna use a corded controller if that ok with everyone. im really not used to wavebirds. i would've juist asked you guys msn or whatever but i don't think anyones on

you guys realize that the third one if it's based on this pattern will be on the Wii's release date. will that be moved a week before/ after or skipped overall or left alone?

kithkin

Smash Champion
meh, i dont think the wii should get in the way really, i mean i wont even be able to get one, but if anyone is that needy of their wii, then we can move it to saturday or something.

hm, its up to the pro impact guys in the end.

also, after we do a few more of these (or mayube even not) we should set up an official team calgary. :chuckle:

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I'll be getting a Wii when it comes out, but the tourney isn't untill 1:00pm, so that's plenty of time to pick one up.

Heck, I could even bring it to the tourney if anyone there is interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. It seems like one of those things you just HAVE to experience in person.

kithkin

Smash Champion
hahaha, you pwii-ordered?

i dont get how all you guys could've, meh school sucks.

also, i like how nobodies confirmed on the list yet like almost all of us said we were

EDit: you have the footage from the last one right?

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
no need to get arrogant, Randall does have a life. he told me he changed it awhile ago but the changes never saved(?) anyways not to speak in a harsh manor, but it is over a week away

kithkin

Smash Champion
oh, i'm certainly not meaning to, its more than i dont want to leave one line posts every five minutes, so i try to dig up something on-topic.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Sorry I missed the last one. I didn't have internet access for a week, and only got note of this today.

Anyway, I'll most likely be coming from Deer run [Canyon meadows Transit station. It'd help if you could let me know which train station I should get off at, and, if possible, bus route. I'm at my Dad's on that weekend, so it should be relatively easy for me to get there.

kithkin

Smash Champion
hey, sweet I look forward to playing you, expecsially because I remember when you tried to make a tournament :laugh: oh man, soo many people we're pissed, hahaha all in good fun though.

yeah, look forward to playin' ya.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Hey nitro-blazer.

If I where you, I would take the train downtown at center street, then jump onto a north-bound route#2 bus. Get off on stop #4872 at Hunterview Dr and Hunterburn Hl. From there, it's a short walk to Randall's place. Hope to see 'ya there!

kithkin

Smash Champion
holy, you just look that up? or did you take the bus previously, cause that information is like dead-on, like details wise with stop numbers.

yeah god luck with the bussing nitro.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
holy, you just look that up? or did you take the bus previously, cause that information is like dead-on, like details wise with stop numbers.

yeah god luck with the bussing nitro.

Actualy, I never take the bus. I just thought I could help and look things up for him.

All this information was on Calgary Transit's website. Has times and everything on it. Neat site!
Oh, and Google earth is pretty cool too.

edit: I guess Atlus is the guy who slept thru the last tourney.

kithkin

Smash Champion
yeah atlus is chris, i guess without seeing him before it can be hard to make the connection.

and heh, my dads a bus driver, so i couldve got that information in a second (if he wasn't in toucson currently D:)

and, man the transit sites new layout is horrible I think. (compared to old one)

Top Bottom