• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prioritizing preferred rules

Spiny Top

Smash Cadet
I think this game's matchmaking could be greatly improved if they would give players the ability to prioritize the preferred rules list.

So just briefly, what are the preferred rules? We have:
Format- smash/team battle/1 on 1
Rules- time/stock/stamina
Stock count- 1/2/3
Time limit- 3/4/5/6/7 min
Stage- all/hazard off/BF/FD
Items- ON/OFF

There should be a way to prioritize these. I'm imagining a system were you can set the priority for each to low, medium, or high. A rule set to low priority is something that if you had to say, you would prefer this, but honestly don't really care. Matchmaking will spend a trivial amount of time searching for games that satisfy your low priority settings when you first queue up, but drop them quickly if there are no matches. Medium priority rules are rules that are important to you, but you don't want to spend all day looking for. Matchmaking will spend several minutes searching out games that satisfy your medium priorities, but drop them after that time frame. High priority rules are rules that you demand to play with. Matchmaking will NOT match a game that doesn't satisfy your high priority rules.

You can set every preferred rule to whatever priority level, based on how important it is to you personally.

Am I the only one who is tired of playing games I didn't ask for? In particular, I don't want to play a format I didn't ask for. If i'm in the mood for a 2v2 I want a 2v2, not a 1v1 or free for all. This would be a high priority rule of mine, but the game doesn't think so, and that's annoying.

Also, once in game the beauty is that you are playing other people who share your preferences. Otherwise you would not be matched. That means everyone is having more fun and getting a good group going that is rematching is more likely.

Agree? Disagree? What would your priorities look like?

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Just a quick question. Are you queuing as 'Quickplay' or 'Ranked Matchmaking.' Ranked Matchmaking has a significantly higher likelihood of following your preferred ruleset. It also does prioritize it. Format > Rules > Items > Stage > Stock > Time

I frequently get matches that are not the time I put. I also frequently get 2 stock matches instead of 3.

I sometimes get matches on stages I didn't choose.

I occasionally get matches with items, smash balls, or smash meters on.

I have never gotten a match that is not 1v1 or stock.

If you, however, queue quickplay, you'll get different settings way more frequently.

Also, to answer the question, I'm not sure it'd make the matchmaking process any better. It already does prioritize the settings I imagine most people find to be most important.

Last edited:

Spiny Top

Smash Cadet
Just a quick question. Are you queuing as 'Quickplay' or 'Ranked Matchmaking.' Ranked Matchmaking has a significantly higher likelihood of following your preferred ruleset.
Quickplay. That's what I've always done is quickplay. How do you get to ranked matchmaking? I see "Background" matchmaking, which I always assumed was quickplay seaching in the background while you do other things.

So it has stricter preference rules?

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Quickplay. That's what I've always done is quickplay. How do you get to ranked matchmaking? I see "Background" matchmaking, which I always assumed was quickplay seaching in the background while you do other things.

So it has stricter preference rules?
Oh yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry, I forgot the exact naming of it. That one does seem to very much more frequently give you the ruleset you want, or a reasonable compromise with the least weighted rule categories mismatched a bit.

I think the premise for it is the "Find battles in the background while you play" is hinting at a longer match-making process, whereas "Jump into an online battle with other players!" implies that you're foregoing a longer match-making process to get in a match as fast as possible. Either way, I find the background matchmaking to be nearly instantaneous anyways and I never have to wait more than 10 seconds or so. That, however, may be because I play with a ruleset that seems to be the go-to "tourney" or proper ruleset:

3 stock no items omega 7 min stock battle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom