• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Princess Zelda Skin Thread

signor

Smash Rookie
I think Zelda has some of the best skins right now compared to her skins in previous games. Some solid color swaps mixed in with references to different versions of Zelda in different games (Ocarina and Twilight Princess). However, is anyone else extremely disappointed that Zelda doesn't have a Hilda skin? It seems like that would be an obvious choice. As a big Smash Bros Skin connoisseur, I can say I am very put off by this.

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
To start off, I completely agree with you. Zelda has awesome alternate colors in this game. There honestly isn't one I don't like. They all look very sharp. It's cool how designs from past Zelda games (Ocarina, TP, SS) are integrated into her LTTP / LBW redesign.
To answer your second question, it is kinda surprising they left a Hilda color out. There are a couple reasons why I think they didn't put it in.

1. There wasn't room for it. They wanted to keep the references from past games and had to relegate the TP design to an alternate. They also had to keep the references to the original, Ocarina, TP, and SS respectively. Then there is the dark costume, which is a common theme for most characters in Smash. They wanted to distinguish the dark outfit from every other color she has, therefore it couldn't be a Hilda color. I don't think they could have used that color as a dark one since it doesn't have dark elements in it. For the Zelda characters' dark costumes, the revolving themes are gray (or white) hair with their clothing being mainly black. The Hilda costume doesn't have those elements. If they did put purple hair in the dark outfit, it would blend in too much with the black dress, and not contrast it. At least, that's what I think. I know it's not a universal opinion.

2. This also isn't as sure as the first reason, but maybe they thought a Hilda color looked too much like her TP design (dark hair, purple front-dress piece color). I also think the TP color took priority over a Hilda color because they wanted to make sure all of Zelda's appearances in the series were covered, along with the unique dark color.

There are a couple ways I think a Hilda color gets in - 1) Ultimate has DLC color changes (which I kinda doubt, but would be pretty sweet), or 2) if we get another Smash game in the future and Zelda's LTTP / LBW design stays (which I assume it does considering its popularity) and they expand the number of colors a character can have.

D

Deleted member 189823

I pretty much use all of them bar Green. I'm starting to stay away from the Pinks, too. Leaning towards Brunette, Red and White Hair (probably my favourite next to Brunette).

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
I pretty much use all of them bar Green. I'm starting to stay away from the Pinks, too. Leaning towards Brunette, Red and White Hair (probably my favourite next to Brunette).
Green is my least favorite too. I do enjoy her pink and Ocarina colors though. The Ocarina one in particular has fallen a bit in my ranking, but I still like it a lot. There really isn't one color I dislike for Zelda because they all look great in her redesign. There are just certain ones that I prefer a lot more. This is probably how I rank them (including the default color):

1. White
2. Purple (Twilight Princess)
3. Blue
4. Default
5. Violet (Ocarina)
6. Black
7. Red
8. Green

It is really tough to rank these, especially 3rd-6th because they're all great. I know my ranking is kinda unorthodox because many people have black a lot higher than I do. It's a good color for sure, but I personally prefer the five above it.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Black > TP > White

I liked her blue palette in 4, but I don't like it as much with ult's design/color scheme.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Black dress is my bae just like before but the brunette hair looked really good in this game and it was tempTing me. Can’t really say I’m crazy about any others, maybe white, but it is intriguing how her hair changes in every palette this time around.

Also the open-ended hair, to me, just looks a 1000 times better, especially with the smooth dress/hair physics than the stick braid from TP designs.

Okay but there’s that pink palette that’s barely different from standard and it feels like a waste of a slot.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Black dress is my bae just like before but the brunette hair looked really good in this game and it was tempTing me. Can’t really say I’m crazy about any others, maybe white, but it is intriguing how her hair changes in every palette this time around.

Also the open-ended hair, to me, just looks a 1000 times better, especially with the smooth dress/hair physics than the stick braid from TP designs.

Okay but there’s that pink palette that’s barely different from standard and it feels like a waste of a slot.
I like the hair change in every color as well, specifically on outfits like the red and TP colors. I really like the brunette/brown-haired look on her. I guess they wanted to change the hair color for each outfit was to more closely resemble the Zelda that the color references (ex. the red color is based on the sprite in the original when Link rescues Zelda with the Red Ring equipped, and her sprite has brunette hair).

I agree the open-ended hair looks amazing, I never minded the TP design in Brawl and Sm4sh, but there are differences big and small (like the hair) that make this design much better IMO.

I can see where you have a problem with the Ocarina color. It used to be one of my favorites, but it is so similar to the default color that it has fallen drastically in my ranking. I'm sure many would want that one replaced with a Hilda color (as would I), but I guess they wanted to keep the Ocarina Zelda reference intact and have most of her appearances in her games covered.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Smash Rookie
I really wish the OOT color was more defined and stood out more, because it does look way too similar to default
I’ve still been using it though just because OOT is my favorite Zelda design
Black dress is probably the best color in the game

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Brown haired one is my favourite. I honestly think Zelda looks a bit better in that brown hair. Red dress is second favourite, and the third one is her original colour.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I keep switching between the Red Palette and the OoT one. Blue is nice as well but I tend to play most of the blonde characters with their red skin.
Blue and white are nice too, I find default and TP boring (fight me :secretkpop: ) and green obviously sucks. It wasn't half bad on TP Zelda, but I feel like green doesn't go too well with blonde hair.

Most people like the edgy version but I've never been fond of it. Plus most Zelda go for it so I'd rather settle for something else.

Otherwise, even though green kind of sucks, she's got some of the best colors in the game.

Last edited:

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Brown haired one is my favourite. I honestly think Zelda looks a bit better in that brown hair. Red dress is second favourite, and the third one is her original colour.
This is me too. LBW Zelda looks really good in brown hair. That's one reason why I enjoy the TP one so much. Not that blonde hair doesn't look good on her other ones, but the dark brown just looks cool for me. The brunette on the red one is nice too. Not one of my faves, but I like it.

Although there are feint differences, I kinda like the slight hair color change on her white and blue colors. The bold gold on the white screams SS and BOTW to me. It works really well with the white dress IMO. The pale blonde on the blue one also looks nice. Nothing too outlandish. Subtle but great looking. The default color has a nice balance between the two.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
all of her skins are SO cute but i have some disturbing news that green might be my favorite...
old habits die hard with that lemon pee pee yellow hair :secretkpop:

my ranking would be like
1. ugly sprite green
2. white
3. red
4. blue
5. OOT (very cute concept, just too close to default)
6. TP
7. Zelderly
8. default

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Green is my least favorite too. I do enjoy her pink and Ocarina colors though. The Ocarina one in particular has fallen a bit in my ranking, but I still like it a lot. There really isn't one color I dislike for Zelda because they all look great in her redesign. There are just certain ones that I prefer a lot more. This is probably how I rank them (including the default color):

1. White
2. Purple (Twilight Princess)
3. Blue
4. Default
5. Violet (Ocarina)
6. Black
7. Red
8. Green

It is really tough to rank these, especially 3rd-6th because they're all great. I know my ranking is kinda unorthodox because many people have black a lot higher than I do. It's a good color for sure, but I personally prefer the five above it.
White is also my preference.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Zelda has some of the best skins right now compared to her skins in previous games. Some solid color swaps mixed in with references to different versions of Zelda in different games (Ocarina and Twilight Princess). However, is anyone else extremely disappointed that Zelda doesn't have a Hilda skin? It seems like that would be an obvious choice. As a big Smash Bros Skin connoisseur, I can say I am very put off by this.
Brawl and Smash 4 Zelda had bland color palettes that didn't have the right lighting or shading in my opinion. Hilda would make more sense as a Echo Fighter whether than a skin especially sense Zelda's model in Ultimate is based off of her design from A Link Between Worlds.

I really wish we had Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild skins for Zelda.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
White is also my preference.
I actually just made TP my favorite a few days ago. I love how its colors transition to the design a lot (free-flowing dark brown hair, cyan jewel in the tiara, off-white lining on the sleeves and bottom of the dress, etc.). It all comes together nicely for me.

White is a very close second though. I absolutely love its simplicity. The bold gold hair color also really stands out. It compliments the elegant white dress perfectly IMO. It reminds me a lot of SS Zelda, which I guess is what they were going for. The gold lining is nice too.

With all that said, these colors are so hard to rank. I like TP, White, Blue, and Default all pretty much equally (with red closely following suit). They all have qualities that I love. If I had to choose, it would be TP or white. Those are top-notch.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I actually just made TP my favorite a few days ago. I love how its colors transition to the design a lot (free-flowing dark brown hair, cyan jewel in the tiara, off-white lining on the sleeves and bottom of the dress, etc.). It all comes together nicely for me.

White is a very close second though. I absolutely love its simplicity. The bold gold hair color also really stands out. It compliments the elegant white dress perfectly IMO. It reminds me a lot of SS Zelda, which I guess is what they were going for. The gold lining is nice too.
I used to champion the "Dark Zelda" recolor back in the PM days, although I preferred to add Skyward Sword Zelda to the selection. Ever since adding "Dark" to your name and thinking it was cool became a meme, I've been vying for brighter colors. Yes, I realize how ironic it is that I, DarkStarStorm, am making this remark.

Last edited:

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
I used to champion the "Dark Zelda" recolor back in the PM days, although I preferred to add Skyward Sword Zelda to the selection. Ever since adding "Dark" to your name and thinking it was cool became a meme, I've been vying for brighter colors. Yes, I realize how ironic it is that I, DarkStarStorm, am making this remark.
Lol our preferences can change over time. Your avatar speaks a lot to your first sentence. It's a mix of your then-favorite color with the Zelda you wanted as an alt. Although you mentioned you desired to get the OG SS palette in the game.

I'm definitely with you on what you're talking about though. When I first started playing the series with Brawl, I was all about the dark colors. Whenever a character had one, I usually used that color the most. As I grew more seasoned with the series, brighter color swaps became more interesting to me like you. Dark colors lost their touch a bit because they didn't look as cool IMO. I still like them, but nowhere near as much as I did before.

D

Deleted member

Due to nostalgia, and in remembrance of TP Zelda, im using the Twilight Princess Alt the most. I do however really like the dark and botw alt as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Due to nostalgia, and in remembrance of TP Zelda, im using the Twilight Princess Alt the most. I do however really like the dark and botw alt as well.
It's funny. I like the LTTP/LBW design much better (not that TP isn't great - it's a nice design for Zelda), but the TP colors on this design look amazing. The reason why it's my favorite alt for her. The blue alt has given me some BOTW vibes. It's honestly just missing her bold gold hair color.

This should have been in.

I need a hi-def resolution picture of this lol. I really wish this was an alt for her, along with one that resembles her HW dress. Really surprised they didn't roll with it as one of her colors. I would have liked it as her dark color. I'm hoping they add this as a potential DLC color, but I doubt that will happen. Maybe whenever a new Smash comes out, this will be in.

D

Deleted member

Here's how i would rank them
  1. Purple (TP)
  2. Black
  3. Default
  4. Violet (OOT)
  5. White
  6. Blue
  7. Red
  8. Green

st marshmallow

Smash Rookie
Red is my favorite, I love the warm fall colors. The only one I don't like is her dark alt, I think was better suited for TP Zelda.

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
I liked her older skins way better TP design killed every color in smash 4 with her dress glowing in certain stages. Ult Zelda colors I only us TP dont like how the rest of them are just *insert color where pink was and keep the dress white* TP design gave us that blood red Zelda, the black dress Zelda was amazing, and the Blue dress looked sharp. Ultimate Zelda doesnt even change the color of her arm gauntlets, accessories on her dress, and shoulder pads. They all stay gold which is a let down compared to her TP design alt colors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom