• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Princess Zelda is ALttP based not ALBW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well that settles it, congrats awesome futa. I am glad for the design regardless of where it came from as Zelda looks the best she has ever been.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
D

Deleted member

>People mention the direct
"It's a mistranslation!"

>An indie site translates an interview
"I was right, H8RZ!"

Common mang lol
Tbh it's kind of a pointless debate to begin with. Setting this design up against either design shows inaccuracies, so evidently she's neither if we gotta go by nitpicky details to begin with.
No matter what the actual translation is, this Zelda design is lit.

WiserThanYou

Smash Cadet
I really love how all the Zelda characters represent a different game in the franchise, with the exception of Sheik. Though you could argue that Sheik is a blend of BotW and TP.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
They’re just translating the article. That line is literally the same one Sakurai said in the Direct. That her design is based on Triforce of the Gods. Which can refer to the series, not just the game. Unless I missed a part where he was asked about it specifically.
His/her insistence on Zelda being based solely on A Link to the Past is really weird.
1) Who cares that much when one design is just a subtle variation of the other anyway?
2) Anyone with eyes can see that she is an amalgamation of both. It's not even arguable.
Just as there are a number of design elements that come specifically from A Link to the Past, there are also a number of design elements that come specifically from A Link Between Worlds. What's the point of ignoring them? I think it's cool that Sakurai chose the best elements from both.

D

Deleted member

They’re just translating the article. That line is literally the same one Sakurai said in the Direct. That her design is based on Triforce of the Gods. Which can refer to the series, not just the game. Unless I missed a part where he was asked about it specifically.
That's like saying if they mention Super Mario Bros they could've meant Super Mario Bros 2.

Quit fooling yourself ALBW fans.

ALttP
The long gold bracelets and their design
The gold necklace design
The red jewel necklace
The shoulder armor design
Ears that point upwards
No eyeshadow
No bright pink lipstick
The twin stripes on her sleeve
The blades on her belt
Taller
Eye design of the pupils

ALBW
The entire pink part of her dress with all the gold markings
The crown being under her hair (although the crown is completely different and not from any other game, but seems to take inspiration in the gem part)
The circles that hold the blades

It's safe to say this is ALttP based with some slight ALBW references, but mainly ALttP.

D

Deleted member

And this is the point at which I can't take a single thing said seriously anymore LMAO this thread is ridiculous. Obviously, how could I have not checked the pupils.
I'm sorry you're actually blind and cannot tell the difference. That's okay, stay salty just because it's based on a SNES release more so and that somehow bothers you for some weird reason. Your motive is quite obvious at this point throughout this thread.

Notice the color is directly from ALttP and not ALBW with ALBW being brighter and a different shade all together? The style of the drawing is the same too.

While you're at it, look at the lips in these three pictures and lack of eye shadow.

Stay ignoring quotes from Sakurai and trying to spin what he says to fit your narrative whereas I have translations not only from Source Gaming via his Famitsu column, but people also listening to his exact quotes from the Nintendo Direct. Keep spinning that it means both games which actually makes no sense as they would be very clear if it was inspired by both games for the main concept majority just like they do with Mario Bros references.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calane

Smash Ace
Her hair, along with the placement of the triforce on her dress, looks more like ALBW than ALttP. I see elements of both designs, but since the hair is clearly based on ALBW, I'm just going to go with that.

Something tells me you just don't like ALBW, which is quite normal for hardcore ALttP fans, so I'm not surprised. I remember once being called a fanboy by an ALttP fan for simply saying that the gameplay felt better in ALBW. I don't understand why ALttP fans are so adamant with their disdain for the 3DS sequel. It was a great game.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Dude, you need to get over yourself. You're literally obsessed with your stupid argument when it's clear the design takes many elements from both games.

I'm sorry you're actually blind and cannot tell the difference. That's okay, stay salty just because it's based on a SNES release more so and that somehow bothers you for some weird reason. Your motive is quite obvious at this point throughout this thread.

Notice the color is directly from ALttP and not ALBW with ALBW being brighter and a different shade all together? The style of the drawing is the same too.

While you're at it, look at the lips in these three pictures and lack of eye shadow.

Stay ignoring quotes from Sakurai and trying to spin what he says to fit your narrative whereas I have translations not only from Source Gaming via his Famitsu column, but people also listening to his exact quotes from the Nintendo Direct. Keep spinning that it means both games which actually makes no sense as they would be very clear if it was inspired by both games for the main concept majority just like they do with Mario Bros references.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
That's okay, stay salty just because it's based on a SNES release more so and that somehow bothers you for some weird reason. Your motive is quite obvious at this point throughout this thread
Mhmm, my bias. For reference my bias is that I haven't played either game, don't own a 3DS and owned a total number of games I could count on my hands until I was a teenager. FOr further context I preferred the TP design anyway but am largely fine with the change. In fact of the two 2D images I prefer the ALttP one but that's largely an artstyle preference (something I'm actually able to distinguish between).

So I'd like you to justify what my bias is aside from the fact that I disagree without you. Your the only person in this thread that makes things personal so how about you stop projecting and act like a rational person and realise that this **** isn't black and white and that not everyone else in this thread is wrong just because you think you're right.

EDIT: for your reference btw, those are called irises, not pupils.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How many times has this debate gone downhill now? 6-7 times?
Perhaps this thread should get locked soon, cause I'm not seeing this ending anywhere constructive.

D

Deleted member

Her hair, along with the placement of the triforce on her dress, looks more like ALBW than ALttP. I see elements of both designs, but since the hair is clearly based on ALBW, I'm just going to go with that.

Something tells me you just don't like ALBW, which is quite normal for hardcore ALttP fans, so I'm not surprised. I remember once being called a fanboy by an ALttP fan for simply saying that the gameplay felt better in ALBW. I don't understand why ALttP fans are so adamant with their disdain for the 3DS sequel. It was a great game.
Ah... and there it goes. Just like how you people spammed artists on twitter for referencing ALttP, I'm seeing the real truth come out.

You made it all clear with this message by bringing this up. You guys are truly ALBW fanboys that are upset that the design is from ALttP.

It's absolutely pathetic at this point. You people should get over yourselves, hell I even seen it on the Source Gaming blog trying to correct someone who is a reputable translator and on twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calane

Smash Ace
Ah... and there it goes. Just like how you people spammed artists on twitter for referencing ALttP, I'm seeing the real truth come out.

You made it all clear with this message by bringing this up. You guys are truly ALBW fanboys that are upset that the design is from ALttP.

It's absolutely pathetic at this point. You people should get over yourselves, hell I even seen it on the Source Gaming blog trying to correct someone who is a reputable translator and on twitter.
...You okay? I'm starting to think this is some sort of joke. There are elements of both designs in SSBU's Zelda, plain and simple. No fanboyism, no bias, just facts. If that bothers you for some reason, I'm sorry.

Here's how I look at it. Since both designs (ALttP and ALBW) are extremely similar, we have to pick out the biggest difference between them and use that to determine which Zelda is the SSBU Zelda. I would say the biggest difference between both designs is the hair. SSBU's Zelda has the ALBW hair, therefore I'm going to go with that.

Sakurai is a very meticulous person, so if he really intended this to be ALttP Zelda, I highly doubt he'd forget to make sure she had the correct hair. This new design is obviously meant to be an amalgamation of both ALttP and ALBW, and I believe that to be deliberate. Why is this such a big problem for you?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
First off, my personal opinion. A Link Between Worlds and A Link to the Past's designs are so incredibly similar that they're nearly interchangeable. Although I feel like this particular design is a combination of the two. Again in my opinion.

Secondly, It's understandable to have differing opinions on the design of the character in Smash. It is not ok to insult and demean fans of a particular game or series. That could be considered flaming. Keep the thread civil or it will be locked.

D

Deleted member

...You okay? I'm starting to think this is some sort of joke. There are elements of both designs in SSBU's Zelda, plain and simple. No fanboyism, no bias, just facts. If that bothers you for some reason, I'm sorry.

Here's how I look at it. Since both designs (ALttP and ALBW) are extremely similar, we have to pick out the biggest difference between them and use that to determine which Zelda is the SSBU Zelda. I would say the biggest difference between both designs is the hair. SSBU's Zelda has the ALBW hair, therefore I'm going to go with that.

Sakurai is a very meticulous person, so if he really intended this to be ALttP Zelda, I highly doubt he'd forget to make sure she had the correct hair. This new design is obviously meant to be an amalgamation of both ALttP and ALBW, and I believe that to be deliberate. Why is this such a big problem for you?
You're saying "hair", but that is actually incorrect. The hair is the same on both designs, what you need to realize is that it's the crown's placement that's different, not her hair. It's literally the same hairstyle, but the crown placement is different. Now if you were to say they placed the crown UNDER her bangs instead OVER her bangs is inspired by ALBW, that's one thing, but they literally are rocking the same hairstyle just with different accessories.

Funnily enough, the concept of putting the tiara under her bangs is not ALBW exclusive. (A reference to this outfit is also in the game as alt color)

This design is an adult and is tall, the same height as she is in ALttP. In ALBW she is shorter, with a more childlike appearance in her face. Her ears point upwards, wheres in ALBW they point to the left and right. ALttP and Smash she has no teal eyeshadow, in ALBW she does. ALttP and Smash she has a greenish blue kind of eye color, in ALBW she has a bright blueish eye color. In ALttP and Smash artwork she doesn't have lipstick, in ALBW she has bright pink lipstick. In ALttP and Smash she has two lines on her sleeves, in ALBW she only has one. In ALttP and Smash her bracelets are long with specific markets, in ALBW they are small with no markings. In ALttP and Smash her belt has a specific design with a line and a circular shape, in ALBW it's merely red.

In ALttP and Smash she has a red beaded necklace, in ALBW she does not. In ALttP and Smash she has a circular blade design on the strings from her belt, in ALBW she does not. In ALttP and Smash she has golden piece on her upper chest that has little plates that dangle and an additional piece in the middle, in ALBW she does not.

ALBW has the crown's gemstone (although the crown design is not from ALBW at all), and the entire pink portion of her dress with the gold markings.

All you have to do is look at how much is focused on ALttP in particular to realize the main design is from this game. There are portions from ALBW, but the ALttP portions far out weigh in number. Also, since we're getting really in-depth here in character design, if you strip both naked it leaves only ALttP as the person inside the clothes because her ears point upwards, she's taller, has the same eye design and eye color, has no lipstick, and has no teal eyeshadow.

Calane

Smash Ace
You're saying "hair", but that is actually incorrect. The hair is the same on both designs, what you need to realize is that it's the crown's placement that's different, not her hair. It's literally the same hairstyle, but the crown placement is different. Now if you were to say they placed the crown UNDER her bangs instead OVER her bangs is inspired by ALBW, that's one thing, but they literally are rocking the same hairstyle just with different accessories.

Funnily enough, the concept of putting the tiara under her bangs is not ALBW exclusive. (A reference to this outfit is also in the game as alt color)

This design is an adult and is tall, the same height as she is in ALttP. In ALBW she is shorter, with a more childlike appearance in her face. Her ears point upwards, wheres in ALBW they point to the left and right. ALttP and Smash she has no teal eyeshadow, in ALBW she does. ALttP and Smash she has a greenish blue kind of eye color, in ALBW she has a bright blueish eye color. In ALttP and Smash artwork she doesn't have lipstick, in ALBW she has bright pink lipstick. In ALttP and Smash she has two lines on her sleeves, in ALBW she only has one. In ALttP and Smash her bracelets are long with specific markets, in ALBW they are small with no markings. In ALttP and Smash her belt has a specific design with a line and a circular shape, in ALBW it's merely red.

In ALttP and Smash she has a red beaded necklace, in ALBW she does not. In ALttP and Smash she has a circular blade design on the strings from her belt, in ALBW she does not. In ALttP and Smash she has golden piece on her upper chest that has little plates that dangle and an additional piece in the middle, in ALBW she does not.

ALBW has the crown's gemstone (although the crown design is not from ALBW at all), and the entire pink portion of her dress with the gold markings.

All you have to do is look at how much is focused on ALttP in particular to realize the main design is from this game. There are portions from ALBW, but the ALttP portions far out weigh in number. Also, since we're getting really in-depth here in character design, if you strip both naked it leaves only ALttP as the person inside the clothes because her ears point upwards, she's taller, has the same eye design and eye color, has no lipstick, and has no teal eyeshadow.
...You are very passionate about this topic. The point is that they take elements of both designs and not just one of them. It's an amalgamation, and the way her tiara is under her bangs reminds me more of ALBW Zelda because she's still wearing the pink dress while doing so (something I don't believe ALttP Zelda has ever done).

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter that much. Heck, we could probably say that she's neither ALttP or ALBW since she takes design elements from both and uses attacks that didn't appear in either game. I'm not interested in arguing with you, so I'll just leave things at that.

D

Deleted member

...You are very passionate about this topic. The point is that they take elements of both designs and not just one of them. It's an amalgamation, and the way her tiara is under her bangs reminds me more of ALBW Zelda because she's still wearing the pink dress while doing so (something I don't believe ALttP Zelda has ever done).

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter that much. Heck, we could probably say that she's neither ALttP or ALBW since she takes design elements from both and uses attacks that didn't appear in either game. I'm not interested in arguing with you, so I'll just leave things at that.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Pretty conclusive that Sakurai knows exactly what design he's using. Why are people trying to argue against evidence provided by the creator of the game?

Do we suddenly believe that Nintendo of America knows more about the designs and concepts used for Smash than even Sakurai does? I highly doubt it.

"Oh, what he meant to say was A Link Between Worlds! Gotta make sure we get that modern-day advertisement in there!"

Honestly, this sounds like something I remember NoA tried to pull before, so I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Look, I don't doubt that the design is based on ALttP, I just don't think it's based only on ALttP. Details about the design resemble ALBW as well, and I don't think it was done on accident. Regardless of what Sakurai may or may not have said, the design itself mixes elements of both ALttP and ALBW. This is a clear, observable fact.

Now please, let's just be done with this pointless debate.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
And since this apparently needs a daily reminder: ALttP is the name of that series in Japan, since ALBW is called ALttP2 over there (well, Triforce of the Gods 2, as ALttP is Triforce of the Gods in Japan)

D

Deleted member

And since this apparently needs a daily reminder: ALttP is the name of that series in Japan, since ALBW is called ALttP2 over there (well, Triforce of the Gods 2, as ALttP is Triforce of the Gods in Japan)
Sakurai never mentioned "2" in either the Direct nor his Famitsu column. He mentions specifically the first game, and If he had meant ALBW he would've stated it like he has done any other reference.

Fact remains, he said the first game in two separate instances and the design mostly resembles the taller ALttP incarnation so it's 100% the main portion of the design and reasoning for its conclusion. All the evidence sides with this.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Look, I don't doubt that the design is based on ALttP, I just don't think it's based only on ALttP. Details about the design resemble ALBW as well, and I don't think it was done on accident. Regardless of what Sakurai may or may not have said, the design itself mixes elements of both ALttP and ALBW. This is a clear, observable fact.
You see similarities in the design because ALBW borrows literally 99% of ALttP's aesthetics and artwork. Spotting 1 difference (where the bangs are placed) does not suddenly make it harken to a different design.

Also, the difference here (in regards to the bangs) is that the change was not made to reference ALBW. It was made because the design had to be modeled into 3D.

Take this image of the design in question:

Tell me, how do you translate this 2D design into a completely accurate 3D model without the bangs looking awfully strange as the circlet is seemingly projected from her forehead but still touching her forehead at the same time? The bangs still stick out at the same length, but you now have to perform some strange crown and hair stretching to keep it somewhat accurate to the original art. Believe me when I say that'd look rough.

I'll tell you what, the guys who made ALBW probably bumped into this little design snafu as well. Ultimately, they came to the same conclusion as Sakurai's design team and decided to put the bangs out over the crown. Problem solved.

It's a design choice for the sake of the model's visual aesthetic and consistency. Crowns over bangs are either completely cartoony or are really awkward looking, ESPECIALLY when translated into 3D. That's the primary reason for this change. It has nothing to do with ALBW whatsoever.

Now please, let's just be done with this pointless debate.
You don't have to be here, you know. You're the one choosing to post in a thread solely focused on the debate you're calling pointless. If you want it to end so badly then stop participating.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Locked on request, but also this argument is...still going on hot...and...pointlessly rude in some posts? Zelda actually got a new look, Sakurai noticed her this time, which is cool, so, cool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom