• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Primarina for Smash! Third in a USUM popularity poll + Smash Switch coming out in 2018!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm half wondering if Sakurai picks Primarina for the challenge of it.

We already have Squirtle sliding about on water so locomotion isn't a problem

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Count me in Primarina is my favorite Alola Starter so consider me a supporter.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Would rather have Blastoise, but any water starter showing up in Smash is great

Just overwhelm them with water starters. Show them Fire Starters who's boss

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Would rather have Blastoise, but any water starter showing up in Smash is great

Just overwhelm them with water starters. Show them Fire Starters who's boss
Y-yeah wash those Fire Starters away, haha

*Hides all my fire starters away from Gen 1-4, and 6 to safety*

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I wish! It was also my starter of choice. But one can't deny we had our fill of water starters thanks to Greninja. And Decidueye is the most popular choice: outside and inside Smash Bros.
A Poke ball assist would be great though.

Luminario

Smash Lord
And Decidueye is the most popular choice: outside and inside Smash Bros.
A Poke ball assist would be great though.
Decidueye's really not though. It didn't even rank in the top 16 for the Japanese Nintendo Dream poll a while back, of which Primarina ranked 3rd. It was the lowest ranked starter final-evo. Popularity isn't going to affect this choice anyway, none of these Pokemon were even revealed to the public during the time the roster was likely finalised.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
While Incineroar will always be my favorite, Prima is a great choice too. It's got the popularity covered and could be pretty unique in its attacks. Sure, Jigglypuff can sing, but I always pictured Prima's song as either a damaging attack or a windbox. Movement would have to take some liberties, but the idea of it sliding on water would fix that (it's not like we don't have characters that float in the air while dashing anyway).

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'd like to add a moveset I came up, and an unique mechanic along with it. If anyone has any spare time, check it out.

Movement (cause I know someone will address this): when walking, Primarina will skillfully balance herself on a small (low to the ground), water orb in her normal position and moves it around. When running or dashing a small wave quickly carries Primarina wherever she desires. Jumping: a spout of water launches her into the sky (slight chance of a windbox to hit enemies after the jump)

Unique Mechanic - Performance Gauge: As a performer, Primarina does her best work in front of a crowd, and Smash is no different. For every move you hit a enemy with a small amount of the Performance Gauge(10 segments) will increase.
It will take 20 (successful) Standard attacks, 20 (successful) Special attacks, a KO, or three throw conversions to increase the gauge fully, increasing Primarina's damage output, movement, and attack speed, and Lessening the chance to escape her throws.

Dash attack: Tackles With its full body along with a wave.

Jab: Quickly waves her arms back and forth, along with an arc of water

Multistrike: Primarina sings happily and a small water orb releases blade of waters in all direction that explodes for the finisher.

F-tilt: Slaps the foe hard with her fin along with a wave of water.

Down-tilt: Quickly spins, and hits foe with her tail (there's a chance to trip foes)

Up-tilt: Sings merrily upwards releasing an explosion of water with a wide range splash zone.

F-Smash: Sings happily, while quickly pushing an orb of water forward that stuns foes then explodes

Down-Smash: Sings sadly, while whirlpools form on both sides of her.

Up-Smash: Sings coldly, and ominously, causing Icicles to quickly rises from the ground on both sides of her.

N-air: Surrounds herself with a flash of light, hits in all direction (Dazzling Gleam) (two hits)

B-air: Double Slaps the foe with her tail.

F-air: Releases an Icy Wind (freezes at high percent's).

D-air: Hits with a devastating tail attack downward (Aqua Tail) (Meteor Smash)

Grab: Primarina traps foes in an orb of water.

Pummel: Primarina increase the pressure of the water in the orb, crushing the foe rapidly.

Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: As a performer, Primarina loves to entertain the crowd, and what better way to do that (and increases her performance gauge) then by doing tricks with helpless enemies trapped her water orbs. By holding A, B and the control stick in the direction of the throw you want, in the middle of a throw, you can convert to a different throw that's more favorable to you.
You can cancel conversions by pressing B or allowing throws to go through. You can use any combination but Up-Throw is always last since it's non-convertible. By doing this, you can rack up damage on your enemies, and kill them with powerful throws while building gauge. Be warned, enemies at very low percent's can cancel out of converted throws. Save them for enemies at higher percent's.

F-Throw: Primarina quickly balances the orb on her tail, then throws it back and forth, catching it with her tail each time, then smacking the foe forward (Last as long as Game & Watch's up throw, other enemies can be hit during throw)
(Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: Juggling Act - Hold A to extend the attack of the orb by juggling it, and rack up damage, outside enemies can also be hit. Hold A, B and the control stick in another direction to convert to a new throw)

Back-Throw: Rejects the foe harshly with a hard tail slap while they're captured in the orb (Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: Cascadeball: If another enemy is hit with the captured enemy, it does massive damage and knockback to the other enemy, and the captured enemy will rebound, and return to Primarina for more punishment. Hold A in the middle of back-throw to dribble the 'ball', and use the control stick to turn around).

Down-Throw: Balances on the water orb (with foe inside) by standing with her tail, then slams it into ground
(Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: Tail Balancing Act: by holding left or right while balancing, you can roll around the stage on the orb for a limited time, while the foe gains damage, you can even jump with it to higher platforms as well too. However your foe can escape over time at low percent's, and your hurtbox is extended, use it wisely in free-for-all).

Up-Throw: Throw's the foe upward with her nose
(Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: (Grand Finale!) Great Nose Balancing Act - Aqua Room: by holding A, and B together during Up-throw, Primarina can grow, and expand the water orb on her nose to fit two more enemies. Enemies in range will be suck in by the surrounding water.
They will gain damage over time while in the orb which will then explodes overtime, sending enemies in the direction you hold the stick
(or every direction if you don't), more enemies, means more damage. However she can only carry one heavyweight/large character, and she cannot convert to other throws as this is her finale).

Neutral B: Sparkling Aria - Singing happily, Primarina charges up an orb of water (charge is cancelable) when charged all the way (about the same charge time for Thoron), if the orb hits the enemy, it does massive damage, and scatters into smaller orbs that hit in all directions.

Side B: Bubble Beam - Primarina whistles a tune, while releasing a rapid fire stream of bubbles, that stuns enemies(heavy damage on shields)

Up B: Aqua Jet - Similar to Quick Attack, propels in two direction with a hitbox.

Down B: Hyper Voice - Distressed singing releases an omnidirectional barrier of sound, that provides decent range, good damage, knockback and nullifies projectiles. However, extended singing will cause her voice to weaken to nothing, along with the barrier of sound.

Final Smash(3 possible versions):

Hydro Vortex - Primarina release a torrent of spiraling water while singing proudly, pushing all caught in it off screen.

Oceanic Operetta - Primarina summons a wave, anyone caught in it enters a cutscene of Primarina joyfully singing, as she gathers an gigantic amount of water before quickly dropping it onto her foes and exploding it.

Perish Song - With great sadness, Primarina will sing a Requiem for her opponents, any caught in its range will be tortured by the beautiful, yet maddening song of despair as their damage increases. At the finale of the song, anyone who damage is at, or over 100% will be destroyed.
Taunts:
Up Taunt - Primarina's happy song echo throughout the stage.
Side Taunt - Primarina Balances on her water orb with her nose while humming.
Down Taunt - Primarina juggles orbs of water while whistling whimsically (taunt can damage opponent).

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Looks like notifications weren't working for me on this thread these past two months, but I must say, I'm quite happy and shocked to see this new wave of supporters that have joined. Welcome aboard! We're glad that you're supporting Primarina!
Time for some replies to catch up:

One thing I am wondering about, though, is how relatively large would they be? The length of their tail could potentially cause some hurtbox concerns.
I don't think Primarina would be too large. Her size is 5'11'' in the Pokemon universe. I remember comparing her size with the trainer in the Photo Club in USUM, and she only really dominates in height if she stands on her tail (that could make a nice taunt now that I think about it, similar to how one of Ridley's taunts has him stand up to show off how tall he is).

In terms of width, I think the best approach to prevent her hitbox from being too wide is by positioning her in a way so that most of her tail faces the camera. It would also give her a decent position to swing her tail forward and backward.

I'd like to add a moveset I came up, and an unique mechanic along with it. If anyone has any spare time, check it out.

Movement (cause I know someone will address this): when walking, Primarina will skillfully balance herself on a small (low to the ground), water orb in her normal position and moves it around. When running or dashing a small wave quickly carries Primarina wherever she desires. Jumping: a spout of water launches her into the sky (slight chance of a windbox to hit enemies after the jump)

Unique Mechanic - Performance Gauge: As a performer, Primarina does her best work in front of a crowd, and Smash is no different. For every move you hit a enemy with a small amount of the Performance Gauge(10 segments) will increase.
It will take 20 (successful) Standard attacks, 20 (successful) Special attacks, a KO, or three throw conversions to increase the gauge fully, increasing Primarina's damage output, movement, and attack speed, and Lessening the chance to escape her throws.

Dash attack: Tackles With its full body along with a wave.

Jab: Quickly waves her arms back and forth, along with an arc of water

Multistrike: Primarina sings happily and a small water orb releases blade of waters in all direction that explodes for the finisher.

F-tilt: Slaps the foe hard with her fin along with a wave of water.

Down-tilt: Quickly spins, and hits foe with her tail (there's a chance to trip foes)

Up-tilt: Sings merrily upwards releasing an explosion of water with a wide range splash zone.

F-Smash: Sings happily, while quickly pushing an orb of water forward that stuns foes then explodes

Down-Smash: Sings sadly, while whirlpools form on both sides of her.

Up-Smash: Sings coldly, and ominously, causing Icicles to quickly rises from the ground on both sides of her.

N-air: Surrounds herself with a flash of light, hits in all direction (Dazzling Gleam) (two hits)

B-air: Double Slaps the foe with her tail.

F-air: Releases an Icy Wind (freezes at high percent's).

D-air: Hits with a devastating tail attack downward (Aqua Tail) (Meteor Smash)

Grab: Primarina traps foes in an orb of water.

Pummel: Primarina increase the pressure of the water in the orb, crushing the foe rapidly.

Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: As a performer, Primarina loves to entertain the crowd, and what better way to do that (and increases her performance gauge) then by doing tricks with helpless enemies trapped her water orbs. By holding A, B and the control stick in the direction of the throw you want, in the middle of a throw, you can convert to a different throw that's more favorable to you.
You can cancel conversions by pressing B or allowing throws to go through. You can use any combination but Up-Throw is always last since it's non-convertible. By doing this, you can rack up damage on your enemies, and kill them with powerful throws while building gauge. Be warned, enemies at very low percent's can cancel out of converted throws. Save them for enemies at higher percent's.

F-Throw: Primarina quickly balances the orb on her tail, then throws it back and forth, catching it with her tail each time, then smacking the foe forward (Last as long as Game & Watch's up throw, other enemies can be hit during throw)
(Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: Juggling Act - Hold A to extend the attack of the orb by juggling it, and rack up damage, outside enemies can also be hit. Hold A, B and the control stick in another direction to convert to a new throw)

Back-Throw: Rejects the foe harshly with a hard tail slap while they're captured in the orb (Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: Cascadeball: If another enemy is hit with the captured enemy, it does massive damage and knockback to the other enemy, and the captured enemy will rebound, and return to Primarina for more punishment. Hold A in the middle of back-throw to dribble the 'ball', and use the control stick to turn around).

Down-Throw: Balances on the water orb (with foe inside) by standing with her tail, then slams it into ground
(Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: Tail Balancing Act: by holding left or right while balancing, you can roll around the stage on the orb for a limited time, while the foe gains damage, you can even jump with it to higher platforms as well too. However your foe can escape over time at low percent's, and your hurtbox is extended, use it wisely in free-for-all).

Up-Throw: Throw's the foe upward with her nose
(Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: (Grand Finale!) Great Nose Balancing Act - Aqua Room: by holding A, and B together during Up-throw, Primarina can grow, and expand the water orb on her nose to fit two more enemies. Enemies in range will be suck in by the surrounding water.
They will gain damage over time while in the orb which will then explodes overtime, sending enemies in the direction you hold the stick
(or every direction if you don't), more enemies, means more damage. However she can only carry one heavyweight/large character, and she cannot convert to other throws as this is her finale).

Neutral B: Sparkling Aria - Singing happily, Primarina charges up an orb of water (charge is cancelable) when charged all the way (about the same charge time for Thoron), if the orb hits the enemy, it does massive damage, and scatters into smaller orbs that hit in all directions.

Side B: Bubble Beam - Primarina whistles a tune, while releasing a rapid fire stream of bubbles, that stuns enemies(heavy damage on shields)

Up B: Aqua Jet - Similar to Quick Attack, propels in two direction with a hitbox.

Down B: Hyper Voice - Distressed singing releases an omnidirectional barrier of sound, that provides decent range, good damage, knockback and nullifies projectiles. However, extended singing will cause her voice to weaken to nothing, along with the barrier of sound.

Final Smash(3 possible versions):

Hydro Vortex - Primarina release a torrent of spiraling water while singing proudly, pushing all caught in it off screen.

Oceanic Operetta - Primarina summons a wave, anyone caught in it enters a cutscene of Primarina joyfully singing, as she gathers an gigantic amount of water before quickly dropping it onto her foes and exploding it.

Perish Song - With great sadness, Primarina will sing a Requiem for her opponents, any caught in its range will be tortured by the beautiful, yet maddening song of despair as their damage increases. At the finale of the song, anyone who damage is at, or over 100% will be destroyed.
Taunts:
Up Taunt - Primarina's happy song echo throughout the stage.
Side Taunt - Primarina Balances on her water orb with her nose while humming.
Down Taunt - Primarina juggles orbs of water while whistling whimsically (taunt can damage opponent).
That's an awesome moveset idea you've got there! I really like the unique gimmick you gave her with the whole performance gauge and throw conversion system. It definitely sounds like something Sakurai would implement to make Primarina stand out from others! The idea of having Primarina use a small water orb for her movement is also a neat idea.

I have added it to the OP for others to see.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
That's an awesome moveset idea you've got there! I really like the unique gimmick you gave her with the whole performance gauge and throw conversion system. It definitely sounds like something Sakurai would implement to make Primarina stand out from others! The idea of having Primarina use a small water orb for her movement is also a neat idea.

I have added it to the OP for others to see.
Thanks, got the idea from thinking about circus seals and how they switch to different ball tricks on the fly (with some artistic liberties of course) . Hopefully with this, along the other movesets, people visiting the thread can see just what Primarina is capable of.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I love Primarina.
I think it's a bit of a controversial one to get in, but it's one of my faves, and I'd love to play her(/it), so I support :)

Last edited:

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
I support Primarina! Buzzwole is my favorite but I'd be equally happy seeing either one make it in :)

D

Deleted member

Primarina is my favorite Pokemon, and its reveal single-handedly rekindled my interest in Pokemon after having not cared about the franchise since Gen 2. I expect either Decidueye or Incineroar to get in first, but if Sakurai decided to throw us a curve-ball and put Primarina in instead, I would be the happiest girl in the world.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
So, while I love primarina at an unhealthy level, I never really cared for it being in Smash.

But when half the forum went from being certain of Decidueye and then vergeben got that same half being certain of incineroar, something has changed. Now that everyone keep going "decidueye/incineroar are more popular" "most popular starters this gen" "w.e. it is that third one is called"

Now I REALLY want Primarina in this game. Maybe it just says something about me, but I would LOVE to see Sakurai show everyone up who says she wouldn't be able to fight or make sense, and it would also stick it to all the people dissing on primarina for being too girly.

I don't think it's likely, and the fear inside me leads to think leaks might be real and we might actually get incineroar and then a horde of people will go "I knew it!" like it was their idea... but deep deep down I'm hoping for a mewtwo scenario where the reveal trailer makes us think it's someone else then BAM, Primarina.

Also I'd be really really happy to play my favorite starter ever and one of my favorite pokemon of all time in this game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't buy the Incineroar sayings, it's just so bulky and (imo) ugly with a freakin wrestling belt, I mean come on. It's possible it's just my bias, but I feel Sakurai would think twice about including that.
I will say I don't think primarina's chances are that high, unfortunately, but I'd love to be proven wrong, because I love it so much.

Also, go Kumatora (which is unfortunately in lucas' FS)

D

Deleted member

I'm in. Primarina is my favorite of the Alolan Starters.
I think I'll do some ideas for her specials later, actually.

D

Deleted member

Primarina Special Moveset because I love field-controlling fighters
Neutral Special - Sparkling Aria: Primarina sends an orb of water forward, holding the button will allow Primarina to angle it but its forward movement can only be stopped by releasing the button. The orb will stay in place for an undetermined amount of time. Any opponents that touch it will cause it to pop and receive damage and knocback as if it was a weak Bumper item, though they can still be destroyed by opponents. Up to 3 can be placed at a time and attempting to put out a fourth one will make the oldest orb to disappear. If Primarina touches one of them, it'll pop and make Primarina hop slightly upwards, cancelling any move he may be performing.

Side Special - Moonblast: Primarina throws a Moonblast forward, its size is the same as a max charged Aura Sphere at 0% but it doesn't do much damage. However, if Moonblast connects with Sparkling Aria, it'll cause a big explosion to occur, dealing heavy damage and knockback.

Down Special - Disarming Voice: Primarina sings in place, creating a soundwave around him that deals some damage. While good to gimp opponents reaching for the ledge, its true utility is to cause all Sparkling Arias in the field to release a burst of multi-hit water downwards. It doesn't possess much knockback but it's incredibpy useful l for keeping opponents in place.

Up Special - Aqua Jet: Primarina launches himself in any direction while covered in water, it doesn't go very far, much like Fox's Firefox, but it is a multi-hit move that combos on itself, with a finisher at the end. The landing lag of the move will leave Primarina wide open much like Lucario's Extreme Speed so it has to be used carefully when returning to the stage. Hitting a Sparkling Aria will cancel the move and won't make Primarina go into freefall, allowing him to act directly out of it.

Hydra of Chaos

Smash Apprentice
Neutral Special - Sparkling Aria: Primarina sends an orb of water forward, holding the button will allow Primarina to angle it but its forward movement can only be stopped by releasing the button. The orb will stay in place for an undetermined amount of time. Any opponents that touch it will cause it to pop and receive damage and knocback as if it was a weak Bumper item, though they can still be destroyed by opponents. Up to 3 can be placed at a time and attempting to put out a fourth one will make the oldest orb to disappear. If Primarina touches one of them, it'll pop and make Primarina hop slightly upwards, cancelling any move he may be performing.

Side Special - Moonblast: Primarina throws a Moonblast forward, its size is the same as a max charged Aura Sphere at 0% but it doesn't do much damage. However, if Moonblast connects with Sparkling Aria, it'll cause a big explosion to occur, dealing heavy damage and knockback.

Down Special - Disarming Voice: Primarina sings in place, creating a soundwave around him that deals some damage. While good to gimp opponents reaching for the ledge, its true utility is to cause all Sparkling Arias in the field to release a burst of multi-hit water downwards. It doesn't possess much knockback but it's incredibpy useful l for keeping opponents in place.

Up Special - Aqua Jet: Primarina launches himself in any direction while covered in water, it doesn't go very far, much like Fox's Firefox, but it is a multi-hit move that combos on itself, with a finisher at the end. The landing lag of the move will leave Primarina wide open much like Lucario's Extreme Speed so it has to be used carefully when returning to the stage. Hitting a Sparkling Aria will cancel the move and won't make Primarina go into freefall, allowing him to act directly out of it.
I´m no mod, but still, just saying you shouldnt double-post, but edit your other message. Good moveset idea tho

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Cool ideas for specials.
And besides double posting, what I'm wondering is HOW do you have over 18 000 post messages?!!?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Story time:

So back in the days when Popplio was shown (and ragged on for not being as cool as Rowlet or Litten), I remember calling it by personal nickname of "Popples Boy" during the entire pre-release run of S/M. Of course didn't like how he was treated, but fortunately the gens before had learned and there were healthy amount of defense squads. Of course, Primarina was a lovely surprise (dunno about her signature move though)

When the release date came and I went to get my Popplio, I still kept calling it "popples boy"...

Only to find out my Popplio was, in fact, a girl.

When I went to internet to post about it, I got tons of responses saying how insanely lucky I was to have a female Popplio for some reason. Dunno what was so goof about it, so I searched the internet and discovered that many were resetting the game like hell to get a female Popplio (12% chance) because well, a male Primarina is more a flamboyant thing than anything.

It's the day I discovered how screwy this world is at times.

Also I kept my Popplio and named it Nia after Nia Teppelin of Gurren Lagann-fame.

Anyway, back on-topic... I'l drop my support in too - if only for being highly intrigued what Sakurai could do with Primarina incase she Greninjas other choices.

D

Deleted member

I´m no mod, but still, just saying you shouldnt double-post, but edit your other message. Good moveset idea tho
I didn't expect much activity so I thought people would miss it if I had just edited it.
Cool ideas for specials.
And besides double posting, what I'm wondering is HOW do you have over 18 000 post messages?!!?
It isn't that big of a deal when you've been here for 4 yesrs lol.
And I'm not even near the top for most posts.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

First up, welcome aboard! Glad to have you aboard the Primarina support train!

Great special moveset idea! The Sparkling Aria mechanic looks pretty interesting, especially in combination with Moonblast. Disarming Voice seems useful for leading to combos or trapping foes in doubles to let the ally take over for a strong attack.

I've added the special moveset to the OP.

Story time:

So back in the days when Popplio was shown (and ragged on for not being as cool as Rowlet or Litten), I remember calling it by personal nickname of "Popples Boy" during the entire pre-release run of S/M. Of course didn't like how he was treated, but fortunately the gens before had learned and there were healthy amount of defense squads. Of course, Primarina was a lovely surprise (dunno about her signature move though)

When the release date came and I went to get my Popplio, I still kept calling it "popples boy"...

When I went to internet to post about it, I got tons of responses saying how insanely lucky I was to have a female Popplio for some reason. Dunno what was so goof about it, so I searched the internet and discovered that many were resetting the game like hell to get a female Popplio (12% chance) because well, a male Primarina is more a flamboyant thing than anything.

Also I kept my Popplio and named it Nia after Nia Teppelin of Gurren Lagann-fame.

Anyway, back on-topic... I'l drop my support in too - if only for being highly intrigued what Sakurai could do with Primarina incase she Greninjas other choices.
That story reminds of how I wanted to get a female Popplio at the start of my Sun playthrough just so I could nickname it Azura (because they both have water powers and can sing and perform quite well). When I first got Popplio, it was male with a meh nature, so I soft reset to see if I could get a female Popplio, and good luck struck! I got a female Popplio along with a Special Attack boosting nature! It felt satisfying considering how rare female Popplios are.

I didn't get a female Popplio in my UltraSun playthrough. I had a male nickname prepared for it that time around, and in my soft reset after the initial attempt, I got a Modest male Popplio, so I ended up using it for the rest of my playthrough.

Anyways, welcome aboard! More support for Primarina is always a great thing!

D

Deleted member

My Primarina is a boy and he is fabulous. There is nothing wrong with boys being pretty.

D

Deleted member

Story time:

I feel the same tbh. Back when they were all revealed, I was Team Popplio on Day One. And when I saw Primarina, I knew I had to specifically get a male one.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Never knew Primarina was that popular. I'm surprised, really. Since she is the last one of the starters I hear about over in Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Re-posting from U Untouch on the Silvally support thread

https://www.ndw.jp/pokemon-top10/

Not sure if it has already been show here but Primarina seemed to do quite well on a popularity poll, coming in third behind Rowlett and Mimikyu.

Quite the difference from the Smash community asking for Decidueye and the anime pushing Incenaroar.

D

Deleted member

Either GF betted on the wrong horse to promote with Incineroar or Primarina has a better shot than most think.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Never knew Primarina was that popular. I'm surprised, really. Since she is the last one of the starters I hear about over in Smash.
If it wasn't that Greninja is a water type, I'd say she has a real good shot.
Or people can just stop caring about type diversity, lol.

Kumoppu17

Smash Rookie
It saddens me that Primarina isn't a more popular pick among the Smash community, since it would offer a completely unique playstyle thanks to its water balloon manipulation abilities and sound-based moves on top of having a very unique body shape. It's my favorite Starter and Pokemon, too.
I'd like to share a really interesting moveset idea someone posted on a certain anonymous board. I didn't come up with it, but it has some really interesting ideas and a decent overview of how Primarina could work in Smash that I'd like you guys to take a look at. It also features some moves I don't often see suggested, which could be combined with other, more complete movesets. Here's the post:

With a character like Primarina who has no natural means of traveling on land, one would usually discard it immediately but given his/her powers, a unique opportunity is created. Prima's ground motion would be lent to a consistent surge of water underneath it, acting somewhat as the rock in the popular depictions of mermaids and sirens. Effectively using Surf on land, the fluid beneath it will affect its momentum and inertia as it picks up speed meaning one has to commit to moves but can also drift with attacks that weren't meant for such, akin to Luigi or Wavedashing. In the air however, the water can't stick around to support it naturally so this is where Prima's specials come into play and better define its playstyle.

Standard B: Bubblebeam
The user blasts out a burst of mid-sized bubbles, the stream's curvature able to be influenced once the move activates. From the stream, 2-3 larger bubbles will stick around, hanging in the air. Prima can freely interact with them, using them as makeshift platforms to restore her jump or use Smashes or tilts from unexpected positions. The bubbles will break if it's on them for more than 4 seconds though and if an opponent touches them, their momentum is slowed, actually helping them in situations.

Side Special: Hyper Voice
Prima looses a cone of vocal power directly in front of itself with somewhat of a sweetspot at the cone's apex. When used on one of the bubbles however, it will capture some of the sound and alter the water's properties, now showing bumper-like physics and rebounding both Prima and opponents.

Down Special: Freeze-Dry
While on the ground, this move solidifies the flow of water underneath it and with a small leap, Prima launches it forward with deceptively high speed and height. In the air, this move is converted into a graceful flip with the cold air/vapor flowing before it, acting akin to Rosalina's old N-Air. Should the iceberg or vapor hit a bubble, it then becomes spiked, damaging all that hit it.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Just imagine the voice acting for this character! That alone should be the reason Primarina makes it into Ultimate! Sound like a Diva with every button press!

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Man, I WISH!
Primarina is such a nice design and I wish Smash had more non-biped fighters. Ivysaur and Duck Hunt are the only ones so far.
A fighter with NO legs? That'd be incredible!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I support! I never thought of this before but Primarina sounds awesome in smash! A moveset where she creates water bubbles and jumps between them to get around the stage would be ****ing awesome. I think Primarina has potential to be one of the most unique and fun movesets in the game. She was my starter as well, so I really hope this happens. I think Sakurai might do it if he looks at the sun and moon mons purely based on fighter potential, which I'm he should.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I thought it was because people wanted to be able to breed Popplio and make more Popplio.

Top Bottom