• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
So apparently the former NoA Employee knows who's going to be the next Smash Bros. DLC character. There's also some hints, too.

1. This character is a newcomer.
2.This character is popular, but may not be the #1 character on the ballot.
3.This character would make a lot of buzz in social media.
4.This character is a first-party character.
5.This character's inclusion shouldn't be a surprise.
6.Although one of the guys promptly deleted the tweet, the character is not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
7.Apparently it's a Newcomer + New Stage combo according to stealth.

What do you guys think?
Regarding the above posted rumor... this is the same rumor from earlier in the week. Nothing I didn't hear on Tuesday has been added to this as far as I can tell. It's not more evidence. Just the same "evidence" gathered in an easily digestible way. I think this info is still solidly in "rumor" status and doesn't have any more credibility than a text leak, at least at face value.

Yeah, I know. Late response. But after scanning the last page I didn't see anyone point out that this isn't new basically... though it was a quick scan.

Last edited:

saur_ssb

Smash Apprentice
Duck Hunt getting in was probably because he was a retro character and we get retro characters in almost every smash game.

People like to bring up how Wii Fit Trainer got in, but The Wii Fit series sold incredibly well and most people are familar with her

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Splatoon's a brand new IP and it's hit the ground running. People are hyped over it at the moment, so people want Splatoon representation in Smash right now.

...Even though Sakurai has hesitated in the past on doing just that. If you throw a character into Smash pre-emptively and their series falls out of favor within a year or so, you end up with a roster that feels dated, and less of a collection of Nintendo's all stars because of it.
Agreed. Besides, putting the Inklings in Smash 4's DLC at this moment seems too premature no matter how Splatoon's popular as it is. That IP hasn't even been out for a year now and we're still in 2015. Personally, it would be better if the Inklings can make it in for Smash 5 in the future. Because by that time it would have already been several years since Splatoon came out and the IP would have already established itself for sure. I can see the Inklings making it in for sure for Smash 5. I would rather have some of those newcomers to be for those who have been highly requested like Krystal and K. Rool for instance since those characters have been longer than the Inklings and we have waited this long hoping for those 2 to finally get their chance. I'm anxious to hear some new info for the upcoming DLC characters soon.

Last edited:

DeNice

Smash Cadet
NNID
DeNice1776
3DS FC
2509-1398-2342
I really wouldn't sleep on the Inklings inclusion being a DLC priority though... Let's be honest here, Nintendo's running on the Wii U really forced them to take some serious L's and right now I think they're trying to gain as much momentum their current money makers before the NX becomes a thing next year or so, and that results in them making DLC to games l that much more important. A Smash game comes out about once every 6 or so years give or take... and that's considering there were no DLC plans for the past 3 games. The way they've planned the game to have DLC in order to maximize it's longevity with content means that they'll most likely look at what would bring them the most sales, and that would be putting in content people en masse would enjoy. Nintendo this console gen hasn't had any real strong hits, but they were first known of fan interest in Splatoon since day one E3 2014, and now we're some months after the game's release and Splatoon's hype was confirmed for real as it's their biggest hit by far on the console next to the Mario games & Sm4sh, breaking sales records and the like. They're new, but they've been front and center for a long time now, their game quite successful, and by now, they're a pretty vital part to Nintendo's game offerings right now. The Inkling Girl had a trophy added into Sm4sh as DLC... If you ask me, considering their game came out AFTER Sm4sh, and they managed to get representation close to a year after Sm4sh's release shows Nintendo's confidence in it now as a series.

Now, if I were Nintendo, I'd probably realize that since this is Sakurai's 'supposed' last Smash, they'll try to take that chance to add the Inklings simply because even though they're indeed 'fresh' to the world, the game's been the one great release they've done on the Wii U and there is a big demand for those Squid Kids, and the Gunner Mii outfits ain't 'cutting it'. Adding them in would also make bank for them leading into the new year because also, Nintendo's plans outside of DLC are practically next to null, especially with Star Fox Zero being delayed until 2016. It's the weakest they've looked in years content wise, so a business move like that would save them some face.

I personally again would like to note that I do see them missing Smash DLC like how Asura from Asura's Wrath didn't get into Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3... but the difference between the two games is that Nintendo's way more committed to offering fan-service than Capcom was back in 2012, based on things like the Ballot and the DLC they did give out in Mewtwo, Lucas & Roy. I'm just saying, don't be surprised if the Inklings do become DLC fighters and keep an open head about them. They've got some strong pull already, and I really don't think 'series longevity' means much anymore considering we got Shulk and Xenoblade representation in the first place, and that game was not only recent (2010) but also niche and low-key until recent years.

Last edited:

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Foxy Renegade

Smash Cadet
So apparently one of the guys who supposedly knows who's getting added to smash in a few weeks (on twitter) seems to have accidentally spilled the beans and quite literally hinted Inkling. https://gyazo.com/cc17ac5ed3f13a07a3e62053143be079 , https://gyazo.com/f2141365e0e005db85126ab74d6e0f27
Of course he could be just trying to screw with people by giving false "hints", and also there's the simple possibility of this whole rumor being a complete lie.
Personally I doubt this rumor because I've yet to see anything to really back it up. Even if this were true, I find it hard to believe that you would slip up that easily.

So how livid would everyone be if they only ended up adding one character from the ballot after all this time? lol.

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
Personally I doubt this rumor because I've yet to see anything to really back it up. Even if this were true, I find it hard to believe that you would slip up that easily.

So how livid would everyone be if they only ended up adding one character from the ballot after all this time? lol.
I can believe in to the idea that they could know who's being added, but I don't quite believe someone would make a such an obvious slip up.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I really wouldn't sleep on the Inklings inclusion being a DLC priority though... Let's be honest here, Nintendo's running on the Wii U really forced them to take some serious L's and right now I think they're trying to gain as much momentum their current money makers before the NX becomes a thing next year or so, and that results in them making DLC to games l that much more important. A Smash game comes out about once every 6 or so years give or take... and that's considering there were no DLC plans for the past 3 games. The way they've planned the game to have DLC in order to maximize it's longevity with content means that they'll most likely look at what would bring them the most sales, and that would be putting in content people en masse would enjoy. Nintendo this console gen hasn't had any real strong hits, but they were first known of fan interest in Splatoon since day one E3 2014, and now we're some months after the game's release and Splatoon's hype was confirmed for real as it's their biggest hit by far on the console next to the Mario games & Sm4sh, breaking sales records and the like. They're new, but they've been front and center for a long time now, their game quite successful, and by now, they're a pretty vital part to Nintendo's game offerings right now. The Inkling Girl had a trophy added into Sm4sh as DLC... If you ask me, considering their game came out AFTER Sm4sh, and they managed to get representation close to a year after Sm4sh's release shows Nintendo's confidence in it now as a series.

Now, if I were Nintendo, I'd probably realize that since this is Sakurai's 'supposed' last Smash, they'll try to take that chance to add the Inklings simply because even though they're indeed 'fresh' to the world, the game's been the one great release they've done on the Wii U and there is a big demand for those Squid Kids, and the Gunner Mii outfits ain't 'cutting it'. Adding them in would also make bank for them leading into the new year because also, Nintendo's plans outside of DLC are practically next to null, especially with Star Fox Zero being delayed until 2016. It's the weakest they've looked in years content wise, so a business move like that would save them some face.

I personally again would like to note that I do see them missing Smash DLC like how Asura from Asura's Wrath didn't get into Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3... but the difference between the two games is that Nintendo's way more committed to offering fan-service than Capcom was back in 2012, based on things like the Ballot and the DLC they did give out in Mewtwo, Lucas & Roy. I'm just saying, don't be surprised if the Inklings do become DLC fighters and keep an open head about them. They've got some strong pull already, and I really don't think 'series longevity' means much anymore considering we got Shulk and Xenoblade representation in the first place, and that game was not only recent (2010) but also niche and low-key until recent years.
Thing is...

-We still don't know what they have planned with the NX. The idea that it's coming out next year is based on a rumor that people pounced on for lack of other news. Besides, most characters would sell well as Smash DLC. Combine that with the fact that if the NX really isn't far off then an NX port of Smash 4 would be all but inevitable, and they'd have no need to push for short term profits instead of consistent sales in the long term! And as such, we have reason to believe they'll let Sakurai do his usual thing and focus more on characters he thinks could be compelling additions regardless of any cross-promotion...

-We also don't know everything they have planned for the next few months. Even though Zelda and Star Fox Zero have been delayed, it doesn't mean they must be out of ideas. There've been times where Nintendo has announced big titles just a few months before their release (Case in point: Majora's Mask 3D, announced in November, released in February). There may even be DLC in the works that they're waiting to reveal until the last minute, like how we didn't learn Mario Kart 8 had DLC until just a couple weeks before its first pack was out.

Although I'm willing to bet now they'll market the hell out of Xenoblade Chronicles X...

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

I'm inclined to agree with all this. I think Inklings are a really safe bet. Ironically, I think this plays into the rumor just being guesswork. What's even more skeptical is that they dropped these clues without saying anyone outright and many people jumped on Inkling fitting all the criteria and being the most likely... and then we start hearing the rumor spreaders essentially implying most people had guessed right. Of course, a bunch of people could've guessed right after all, or the "rumor" is just reacting to the feelings of the fans you might say. Either way, this rumor is a mess. Inklings could be confirmed in the next month and I wouldn't be surprised, but I also wouldn't feel like this rumor was anything but lucky either. That's just how skeptical I am of the info being spread around.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So apparently one of the guys who supposedly knows who's getting added to smash in a few weeks (on twitter) seems to have accidentally spilled the beans and quite literally hinted Inkling. https://gyazo.com/cc17ac5ed3f13a07a3e62053143be079 , https://gyazo.com/f2141365e0e005db85126ab74d6e0f27
Of course he could be just trying to screw with people by giving false "hints", and also there's the simple possibility of this whole rumor being a complete lie.
I don't buy it, there's no way he'd be that obvious, he's just ****ing with us, especially with how vague he was being in his other tweets

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I don't buy it, there's no way he'd be that obvious, he's just ****ing with us, especially with how vague he was being in his other tweets
We could be giving him too much credit. Sean isn't a Nintendo employee who knows how to keep his mouth shut. He brought it up in the first place like a little kid, because he couldn't help himself.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I'm not buying people like this it just sounds like the whole fake leak crap all over again where few got an "inside source" people like this are mostly likely just trying to get attention while Nintendo is staying too quiet about the ballot I honestly I can bet they don't even know who the winner or winners are... I mean it's not like ANYONE can lie on the internet *sarcasm*

Last edited:

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
The only problem i have with the inkings is that how long will they stay relevant. I mean Sheik was in one Zelda game when she got in so the idea is there. I have no problem with current new popular picks as long as they stay relevant
Not to mention that Splatoon is overrated and undeserving of its praise and popularity. Here's a vid that explains why I'm against Splatoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBOy02ZqeU

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Not to mention that Splatoon is overrated and undeserving of its praise and popularity. Here's a vid that explains why I'm against Splatoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBOy02ZqeU
Ugh, this video. Because sci-fi/military shooter is SO UNIQUE AND HAS NEVER EVER BEEN DONE BEFORE unlike Splatoon's theme which is that you are a humanoid squid creature shooting other humanoid squid creatures. Totally 100% legit.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, this video. Because sci-fi/military shooter is SO UNIQUE AND HAS NEVER EVER BEEN DONE BEFORE unlike Splatoon's theme which is that you are a humanoid squid creature shooting other humanoid squid creatures. Totally 100% legit.
How about you address the other points, too?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
How about you address the other points, too?
I know Splatoon isn't the best game evar 10/10. It has problems and some pretty big ones *cough cough released an unfinished game lolwut*. But if you're not going to even give it a chance and just go by this guy's review, that's your problem. Splatoon is undeserving of its popularity? Since when does one person determine what should and what shouldn't be popular. I don't think Kim Kardashian should be popular, guess we should get rid of her (in all honesty, we probably should lol). Splatoon has big problems, so what, big deal. If its fun, that's what makes a good game to the individual player. Hell, I enjoyed a bit of Metroid: Other M despite its flaws. Splatoon did different things and people liked that. If you don't like the game, that's fine, but its had amazing success and tons of other people like it. Get over it.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
I know Splatoon isn't the best game evar 10/10. It has problems and some pretty big ones *cough cough released an unfinished game lolwut*. But if you're not going to even give it a chance and just go by this guy's review, that's your problem. Splatoon is undeserving of its popularity? Since when does one person determine what should and what shouldn't be popular. I don't think Kim Kardashian should be popular, guess we should get rid of her (in all honesty, we probably should lol). Splatoon has big problems, so what, big deal. If its fun, that's what makes a good game to the individual player. Hell, I enjoyed a bit of Metroid: Other M despite its flaws. Splatoon did different things and people liked that. If you don't like the game, that's fine, but its had amazing success and tons of other people like it. Get over it.
You got some good point (such as liking something regardless of its quality), but I didn't mean to imply that one person is only needed to judge something (I've seen users in that comment section list flaws with the game, too), just that it explains the game's problems.

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
I just realized that Star Fox Assault's anniversary is in February. It sure would be nice if Zero were released around that time and a Wolf and Krystal double reveal with two other ballot characters wouldn't be so random even if Krystal isn't in Star Fox Zero. x) Ugh! I really wish they'd make Adventures a Spin off series for Star Fox. Like how Donkey Kong & Wario have thier own games but still appear in Mario ones. :L Krystal would get less hate if they did that cause then the fan base will separate.. well.. I think she would right? O.o

And If the rumors are true, It'd be quite ironic on my end if Dixie is amongst the 1st wave. I totally went all for Krystal to the point to where I don't even want Dixie as much anymore xD it's like 85% Krystal, 8% Dixie 5% Wolf and 2% Daisy xD!!! As for the Inklings.. I REALLY don't want them in this Smash.. Not because I dislike their game (I have it.. only played it twice in the course of 3 months.. glad it wasn't $60 of my money -_-) but much like what WolfHeart said, It seems unfair that long awaited characters could potentially be overlooked by newer characters such as Shante (Though I'd rather her over anybody) and Shovel Knight. Why do the fans of these characters deserve to get who want in Smash while the majority of us had to wait a decade or more? :c

I wonder how much of a salt storm would come if these 4 characters were released first.. o.o

Wave 1:
Wolf
Krystal
King K. Rool
Dixie

Both franchisees are under represented in smash. The ones that say Donkey Kong and Diddy are enough have probably only played one Donkey Kong game if any and truly haven't gave it much thought on theseries beyond the one game the played. (I've met 4 people on Miiverse that have said that about DK so I'm not being biased and over opinionated. xD) Star Fox had it the worse by losing a rep who many apparently mained and having to wait for something like the smash ballot is really unfair to Wolf fans. He should've been amongst Mewtwo and Lucas and if he isn't in the next wave then obviously Nintendo has something against him and Star Fox. Imagine how different the ballot would've been if Wolf was added before hand? Krystal probably would've gotten more votes if the Wolf fans didn't have to waste it on Wolf. Adding Wolf and King K.Rool in the 1st wave would most likely be a disappointment if it were just those two but on ther hand, Krystal and Dixie would get less hate for being added if the other two are added at the same time. The ones that are quick to think that those 4 are bad choices would most likely settle for one of these 4 just to have a unique fighter.

and then a hint of wave 2 and so on,
Isaac
Impa
Paper Mario
Daisy
Mach Rider
Toad
Etc.

Sorry the paragraphs I just wanted to say all of that xD

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'd just rather these characters got a chance. Wouldn't it leave a bad taste in people's mouths if they finally got a chance to make it, only to be passed up on for brand new and untested characters or ones who just happened to be trendy at the moment?

I mean, I'm not saying they're all bad choices, because they're not, but dammit, don't some of these long standing fan favorites matter too?

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
So why doesn't Sakurai just announce which chars he's going to add, now? By now, he and his team must have looked over all the submissions...

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Takes time to make proper models
I didn't mean show any gameplay trailers; just have him say which chars were selected and are now planned and that'll due (though something unexpected could later come up (that could make the selected chars impossible to do in time) and make the guy change his mind).

Because the man likes surprising people.
Okay, but there better not be any nasty surprises (such as the trolling with Chrom and Ridley) or major disappointments.

Last edited:

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Disappointments are unavoidable.
Someone, no matter what, will be disappointed. The only question is, who will it be?
Well it better not be those with reasonable requests or requests for chars wanted for a long time (for example, I wouldn't care if people blinded by nostalgia (such as for veteran clones) were to be ignored by the guy).

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I just realized that Star Fox Assault's anniversary is in February. It sure would be nice if Zero were released around that time and a Wolf and Krystal double reveal with two other ballot characters wouldn't be so random even if Krystal isn't in Star Fox Zero. x) Ugh! I really wish they'd make Adventures a Spin off series for Star Fox. Like how Donkey Kong & Wario have thier own games but still appear in Mario ones. :L Krystal would get less hate if they did that cause then the fan base will separate.. well.. I think she would right? O.o
Fanbase? Separate? Never in a million years my friend. We are one big happy family. :troll:
And If the rumors are true, It'd be quite ironic on my end if Dixie is amongst the 1st wave. I totally went all for Krystal to the point to where I don't even want Dixie as much anymore xD it's like 85% Krystal, 8% Dixie 5% Wolf and 2% Daisy xD!!! As for the Inklings.. I REALLY don't want them in this Smash.. Not because I dislike their game (I have it.. only played it twice in the course of 3 months.. glad it wasn't $60 of my money -_-) but much like what WolfHeart said, It seems unfair that long awaited characters could potentially be overlooked by newer characters such as Shante (Though I'd rather her over anybody) and Shovel Knight. Why do the fans of these characters deserve to get who want in Smash while the majority of us had to wait a decade or more? :c
Not to turn this into a Splatoon thread, but although I want inklings, I'm afraid of what this iteration of Smash will do to them. If it means their core gimmick is hampered, I'd rather they show up for the next one. I don't want to play as an inkling just to play as an inkling. That's my only reservation. I do agree that it's unfair we're seeing the corporate influence rear its ugly head in character selection. Somehow, I don't think Nintendo believes in a queue or a line where older Nintendo stars get prioritized over upcoming ones. Good old Krystal will befuddle the executives when they notice just how much support there is for her after almost 10 years of being out of action. Nintendo has an interesting decision to make about her. Do they scrap a character with demonstrable lasting appeal or do they acknowledge that she hasn't gone anywhere and invest in her with confidence?
I wonder how much of a salt storm would come if these 4 characters were released first.. o.o

Wave 1:
Wolf
Krystal
King K. Rool
Dixie
Gonna be honest, literally any lineup will cause a giant salt storm. Krystal's reveal alone is guaranteed to make this salt storm the most fun one, but yeah. A double dual (lel) franchise wave would be awesome in my opinion. Smashboards gets its two most wanted, we get Krystal and Dixie fans get her. What could possibly go wrong?!
Both franchisees are under represented in smash. The ones that say Donkey Kong and Diddy are enough have probably only played one Donkey Kong game if any and truly haven't gave it much thought on theseries beyond the one game the played. (I've met 4 people on Miiverse that have said that about DK so I'm not being biased and over opinionated. xD) Star Fox had it the worse by losing a rep who many apparently mained and having to wait for something like the smash ballot is really unfair to Wolf fans. He should've been amongst Mewtwo and Lucas and if he isn't in the next wave then obviously Nintendo has something against him and Star Fox. Imagine how different the ballot would've been if Wolf was added before hand? Krystal probably would've gotten more votes if the Wolf fans didn't have to waste it on Wolf. Adding Wolf and King K.Rool in the 1st wave would most likely be a disappointment if it were just those two but on ther hand, Krystal and Dixie would get less hate for being added if the other two are added at the same time. The ones that are quick to think that those 4 are bad choices would most likely settle for one of these 4 just to have a unique fighter.
I don't believe in quotas unless there's a character I want that's part of that franchise, in which case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Allow me to demonstrate: Star Fox is grossly underrepresented and could use a newcomer like Krystal. :secretkpop:
Sorry the paragraphs I just wanted to say all of that xD
It's fine. Your essay was one of the more fun ones to read.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Do they scrap a character with demonstrable lasting appeal or do they acknowledge that she hasn't gone anywhere and invest in her with confidence?
Well Sakurai should realize that Smash increases a char's popularity and gives them more likely to have a good future (he should have realized that when he talked about his quota on adding chars).

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Well Sakurai should realize that Smash increases a char's popularity and gives them more likely to have a good future (he should have realized that when he talked about his quota on adding chars).
Adding Krystal would be making an already popular character way more popular. If her moveset appeals to lots of players, many thousands more will want her to stay for that reason by itself. I'm having a hard time seeing how Nintendo would take a loss on this. ESPECIALLY IF THEY CHARGE A TENTH OF THE RETAIL PRICE FOR HER LIKE THEY DID WITH RYU!

Last edited:

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Adding Krystal would be making an already popular character way more popular. If her moveset appeals to lots of players, many thousands more will want her to stay for that reason by itself. I'm having a hard time seeing how Nintendo would take a loss on this. ESPECIALLY IF THEY CHARGE A TENTH OF THE RETAIL PRICE FOR HER LIKE THEY DID WITH RYU!
Well when talking with a friend of mine about whether or not Nintendo will really take the Ballot submissions into consideration (considering that they don't listen to petitions, and ones on more pressing matters, such as Region-Locking), and he said he thinks that, if anything, they're using the Ballot to find out which chars are popular and then they'll milk them via DLC and amiibos. That could give an even harder time thinking Ninty would take that loss.

BTW, unrelated, but real quick: Who's the char in your avatar?

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Well when talking with a friend of mine about whether or not Nintendo will really take the Ballot submissions into consideration (considering that they don't listen to petitions, and ones on more pressing matters, such as Region-Locking), and he said he thinks that, if anything, they're using the Ballot to find out which chars are popular and then they'll milk them via DLC and amiibos. That could give an even harder time thinking Ninty would take that loss.
Yeah. The Amiibo market especially would welcome Krystal.
BTW, unrelated, but real quick: Who's the char in your avatar?
Haha. It's Princess Vi (short for Violet) from Samurai Pizza Cats.

saur_ssb

Smash Apprentice
If we go by the Lucas and Mewtwo DLC they're probably making new concept art for the fighters that won the ballot.

I'm guessing that they didn't start working until the ballot ended that way their results would be real accurate. So even if they're finished counting the ballots, they're probably making the new models for the fighters before revealing them

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
What is the likely hood that they will use the Ballot from Smash 4 as a huge marketing thing for when the start Smash 5?

"You're most wanted didn't get in Smash 4 as DLC? Well, this time they may get their chance with Smash 5!!"

Kind of thing. Take a lot of the burden of having to chose which characters to add when they have a full list in front of them for the next game.

Last edited:

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
All these leaks coming out of nowhere have inspired me. We should create a Krystal Sm4sh DLC leak that's so believable that it causes Gamefaqs & 4Chan to go Bat sh&$ crazy :troll:. Even though this would be a silly idea the reactions would be priceless.

Top Bottom