• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretend you're Capcom in the 90's. What western IP do you make a fighting game out of?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Just as the title says. Pretend you're Capcom in the Sonic Boom period of the 90's. X-Men: Children of the Atom and Marvel Super Heroes are both a critical and commercial success in arcades. Thus, you get inspired to yank another license while you're busy developing the X-Men and Street Fighter crossover. Which IP do you bring into the pugilistic gravy train in the mean time?

For me, it would be Star Wars. Fun fact: Capcom actually was working on one, but it apparently turned into Star Gladiator.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Just as the title says. Pretend you're Capcom in the Sonic Boom period of the 90's. X-Men: Children of the Atom and Marvel Super Heroes are both a critical and commercial success in arcades. Thus, you get inspired to yank another license while you're busy developing the X-Men and Street Fighter crossover. Which IP do you bring into the pugilistic gravy train in the mean time?

For me, it would be Star Wars. Fun fact: Capcom actually was working on one, but it apparently turned into Star Gladiator.
Apparently this was also the same with the Darkstalkers in which Capcom was originally going to create a fighting game based upon the monsters of Universal studios, but unfortunately Universal refused to license their characters. This prompted Capcom to create their own monsters hence the birth of Darkstalkers.

Source: https://www.denofgeek.com/games/darkstalkers-the-history-of-capcoms-monster-fighting-game/

Anyways, I think it would had been awesome to have a Star Wars fighting game made by Capcom. But if there is another IP that I would like to see being made, maybe the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers as it was majorly popular back in the 90's.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Apparently this was also the same with the Darkstalkers in which Capcom was originally going to create a fighting game based upon the monsters of Universal studios, but unfortunately Universal refused to license their characters. This prompted Capcom to create their own monsters hence the birth of Darkstalkers.

Source: https://www.denofgeek.com/games/darkstalkers-the-history-of-capcoms-monster-fighting-game/

Anyways, I think it would had been awesome to have a Star Wars fighting game made by Capcom. But if there is another IP that I would like to see being made, maybe the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers as it was majorly popular back in the 90's.
I dobt they would do power rangers they probably would do the original Sentai stuff instead

I would say give Spiderman his own Fighting game lets say 12 chars:

Im not sure if all of them are from the 90s? Black cat is in because every fighting game needs a girl and finding old Female spiderman supers is a bit difficult

Instead of making one IP, I would make a conglomerate Blockbuster Movie fighting game similar to SF and Darkstalkers.
The roster would be:
  • Darth Vader
  • Luke Skywalker
  • Terminator/T-800
  • Alien/Xenomorph
  • James Bond/Agent 007
  • Batman
  • Bladerunner
  • E.T
  • Roger Rabbit
  • Raptor (Jurrasic Park) (Would fight similar to Riptor from KI)
  • Neo (Matrix)
  • Godzilla
  • Marty McFly
  • Kill Bill
  • Pulp Fiction Woman

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I would do Blockbuster Movie fighting game similar to SF and Darkstalkers.
The roster would be:
  • Darth Vader
  • Anakin Skywalker
  • Terminator/T-800
  • Alien/Xenomorph
  • James Bond/Agent 007
  • Batman
  • Bladerunner
  • E.T
  • Roger Rabbit
  • Raptor (Jurrasic Park) (Would fight similar to Riptor from KI)
  • Matrix Guy
  • Godzilla
  • Marty McFly
  • Kill Bill
  • Pulp Fiction Woman
i think you mean Luke skywalker? because anakin only exists as a ghost in the originals

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Star Wars because I love Star Wars
Imagine if they were still making them around 2013. We would have probably gotten a Star Wars fighting game with Clone Wars characters, and to me that's the dream

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I dobt they would do power rangers they probably would do the original Sentai stuff instead

I would say give Spiderman his own Fighting game lets say 12 chars:

Im not sure if all of them are from the 90s? Black cat is in because every fighting game needs a girl and finding old Female spiderman supers is a bit difficult
Having watched the animated series (the one with Christopher Daniel Barnes), I do believe that the majority did feature although I'm not sure if Sandman or Electro were there. But I think maybe they could put in the Scorpion, Shocker, Silver Sable and Jessica Drew's Spider-Woman as a bonus.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
In this case, I'd actually suggest a weird pick: A DC fighting game based on Batman media specifically.

1. Batman (Bruce Wayne)
2. Nightwing (**** Grayson)
3. Robin (Jason Todd)
4. Catwoman (Selena Kyle)

Similarly to Red Earth, these are the four playable characters, with other characters being fought in the Arcade Mode. (Home releases will have these characters be playable in a traditional Fighting Game mode of sorts, however.) In no particular order,

1. The Joker
2. Bane
3. Man-Bat
4. Killer Croc
5. Scarecrow
6. Mr. Freeze
7. The Riddler
8. Clayface

Now, in later releases there'd likely be more characters, this is just a weird idea of mine. Throw in Akuma as well, why not. DC VS Capcom. Yes.

AlRex

Smash Lord
AU 1: DC fighters with DCAU (and later Titans '03 and Batman: Brave & the Bold influences). First a Batman fighter, then Justice League, then Batman VS Darkstalkers, Justice League VS Street Fighter, DC VS CAPCOM 1, 2, and 3. Maybe the Teen Titans flash game/arena fighter becomes a full-on CAPCOM fighter instead. Infinite unfortunately doesn't have Batman characters. :(

AU 2: They expand from the AVP beat-em-up and Star Wars fighter to eventually do Fox VS CAPCOM.
Alien, Predator, Luke, Vader, Homer, Bart, John McClane, Kevin McCallister, the Red Ranger, Lord Zedd, and Mulder & Scully all throwing down. Later Fox merges with CAPCOM instead of Disney, somehow.

AU 3: CAPCOM's string of Disney games convinces them to greenlight a Gargoyles fighter, then one based on the Disney Afternoon in general, then eventually, Disney VS CAPCOM. Devil May Cry is the equivalent of Kingdom Hearts in this universe, somehow.

AU 4: Somehow, CAPCOM gets to make both Marvel and DC fighters, culminating in a Marvel VS DC game that ties into a sequel to the comics event at the end of the decade. However, you don't get Marvel VS CAPCOM...you get Marvel VS DC VS CAPCOM. VS SNK? Maybe too much.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Also, I know this isn't technically related to this specifically, but something I'd love to have seen is a Mega Man Zero "fighting game" featuring various characters from the Zero series, as well as one or two bonuses! Here's my thoughts on a roster:

Zero (Basically uses various MMZ moves, you get the idea)
Omega Zero (Think a Ryu/Evil Ryu type, but Omega is based more on MMX)
Ciel (Uses a lot of Cyber Elves and a few variations on Zero's various gadgets)
Harpuia (Lots of air control!)
Fefnir (Big boy with big attacks lmao)
Leviathan (Cool stuff with waterbending maybe?)
Phantom (NINJAAAAA)
Copy X (Specifically in his Phase 2 design with the big wings.)
Cyber-Elf X (Think of him as a sort of "mage archetype")
Elpizo (Probably a little like Marth in some ways, good at midrange)
Omega (As in, the giantass one, but scaled down)
Kraft (Think of him as a "jack of all trades" character that works well for stage control)
Weil (Big boi bad man, think of him a bit like M.Bison)

Some possible "bonus characters" aside from the ones included here, who I think are necessary, could be:

Aztec Falcon (Similar to Harpuia, but bigger and stronger, albeit slower.)
Anubis Necromancess (Sort of the "summoner" archetype here.)
Rainbow Devil (Idk, seems like a cool idea perhaps being a little like characters like Venom or Twelve?)
Hanumachine (Small fire monkey! Fast, and can cling to walls.)
Tretista Kelverian (A Stance Fighter, between his normal "Gentle Judge" form where he is more of a single hit bruiser, and his Cerberus form, which has longer range in melee attacks because of larger size, mostly relying on slashes, but a ton of endlag as well as being even slower than most characters here.)
Pantheon (Some might say it's just a drone, but using various Pantheon moves could work well as a sort of weird secret character!)

I can imagine that the draw of this game is that it plays similar to, basically, an upscaled Zero boss, but with more platforms - though still with stamina. Wall jumps are accessible to a lot of characters, and it's a little comparable to the basic gameplay of Smash, MMZ, and SF combined into an unholy combination.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Here's a hypothetical roster for a 2013 Star Wars fighting game:
  1. Anakin Skywalker
  2. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor is the default and Alec Guinness is the alt)
  3. Yoda
  4. Qui-Gon Jinn
  5. Mace Windu
  6. Ahsoka Tano
  7. Aayla Secura
  8. Captain Rex
  9. Padmé Amidala
  10. Darth Maul
  11. Count Dooku
  12. Darth Sidious
  13. Asajj Ventress
  14. General Grievous
  15. Durge
  16. Pre Viszla
  17. Cad Bane
  18. Embo
  19. Latts Razzi
  20. C-21 Highsinger
  21. Luke Skywalker
  22. Han Solo
  23. Lando Calrissian
  24. Chewbacca
  25. Leia Organa
  26. R2-D2 and C-3PO (tag team fighter)
  27. Darth Vader
  28. Boba Fett (Jango as an alt)
I think my Clone Wars bias is showing. Making this roster made me realize that a roster with just bounty hunters might be just as good as this.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Here's a hypothetical roster for a 2013 Star Wars fighting game:
  1. Anakin Skywalker
  2. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor is the default and Alec Guinness is the alt)
  3. Yoda
  4. Qui-Gon Jinn
  5. Mace Windu
  6. Ahsoka Tano
  7. Aayla Secura
  8. Captain Rex
  9. Padmé Amidala
  10. Darth Maul
  11. Count Dooku
  12. Darth Sidious
  13. Asajj Ventress
  14. General Grievous
  15. Durge
  16. Pre Viszla
  17. Cad Bane
  18. Embo
  19. Latts Razzi
  20. C-21 Highsinger
  21. Luke Skywalker
  22. Han Solo
  23. Lando Calrissian
  24. Chewbacca
  25. Leia Organa
  26. R2-D2 and C-3PO (tag team fighter)
  27. Darth Vader
  28. Boba Fett (Jango as an alt)
I think my Clone Wars bias is showing. Making this roster made me realize that a roster with just bounty hunters might be just as good as this.
I can imagine a lot of bounty hunters being really cool DLC - IG-88 springs to mind as an incredibly interesting pick, what with having a large variety of weapons a little like Boba and Han, but basically being an absolute arsenal despite being a glass cannon.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I can imagine a lot of bounty hunters being really cool DLC - IG-88 springs to mind as an incredibly interesting pick, what with having a large variety of weapons a little like Boba and Han, but basically being an absolute arsenal despite being a glass cannon.
Honestly, now that I think about it, basically any of the bounty hunters I skipped could make for a unique fighter. Bossk for example would make use of his standard weapons (blaster, grenade launcher, etc) but also have feral attacks to emphasize his savage nature as a trandoshan.

God, I need a Star Wars fighting game.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Honestly, now that I think about it, basically any of the bounty hunters I skipped could make for a unique fighter. Bossk for example would make use of his standard weapons (blaster, grenade launcher, etc) but also have feral attacks to emphasize his savage nature as a Trandoshan.

God, I need a Star Wars fighting game.
THAT SOUNDS AMAZING WHAT

A Star Wars fighting game actually would be like, incredible, no cap. (Throw Jabba in as a secret fighter but he's like a puppet character and tosses various slaves as actual attacks, and has his specials use the Rancor, that would be like the best joke character ever)

Jondolio

Smash Hero
THAT SOUNDS AMAZING WHAT

A Star Wars fighting game actually would be like, incredible, no cap. (Throw Jabba in as a secret fighter but he's like a puppet character and tosses various slaves as actual attacks, and has his specials use the Rancor, that would be like the best joke character ever)
YO THAT SOUNDS ****ING DOPE I NEED THIS

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Okay, so assuming this was made in the 90's, I could see it being based on the original trilogy. Here was the roster I had in mind:
  1. Luke Skywalker
  2. Obi-Wan Kenobi
  3. Han Solo
  4. Princess Leia
  5. C-3PO & R2-D2
  6. Yoda
  7. Stormtrooper
  8. Boba Fett
  9. Jabba the Hut
  10. Darth Vader (Sub-Boss)
  11. The Emperor (Boss)

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Another idea I had in which I really wished Capcom would had done back in the 90's is the Spider-Man franchise. Since X-Men: Children of the Atom was made, I reckon if they did one on Spider-Man it would had been an equal success.

Anyways, having watched the 1994 animated series, maybe they could do two fighting games. One based upon The Insidious Six and another based upon the Secret Wars.

Here is my synopsis and character list:

Spider-Man Vs the Insidious Six:

Synopsis: An alliance of supervillains were invited to challenge and eliminate Spider-Man and his friends at a tournament hosted by none other than the Kingpin. Can Spider-Man and his team withstand the might of the Insidious Six and overcome the Kingpin's game?

Characters:

Spider-Man Team:
  • Spider-Man
  • Black Cat
  • Daredevil
  • Blade
  • Dr. Strange
  • Silver Sable
Insidious Six Team:
  • Dr. Octopus
  • Rhino
  • Shocker
  • Mysterio
  • Scorpion
  • Chameleon
Sub-Boss:
  • Green Goblin
  • Venom
Final Boss:
  • Kingpin
Stages:
  • Daily Bugle - Spider-Man Stage
  • Hardy Foundation Rooftops - Black Cat Stage
  • Sanctum Santorium - Dr. Strange Stage
  • Tomb of Dracula - Blade Stage
  • Hell's Kitchen - Daredevil Stage
  • Wild Pack Operations - Silver Sable
  • Spaulding Chemical Plant - Dr. Octopus Stage
  • Abandoned Warehouse - Shocker Stage
  • Empire State University Laboratories - Scorpion Stage
  • Brand Corporation - Chameleon Stage
  • Wonder Studios - Mysterio Stage
  • Queensboro Bridge- Rhino Stage
  • Oscorp Industries - Green Goblin Stage
  • Ravencroft Institute - Venom Stage
  • Chrysler Building - Kingpin Stage
I'll work on the Secret Wars concept next.

EDIT: I had a couple of debates whether to include certain characters who remain obscure within the Spider-Man universe that had appeared in the cartoons from Rocket Racer, Prowler, Spot etc.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
capcom vs dr who monsters! no? ill see myself out
Reminds of the general sci-fi fighter idea I've thought of from time to time. Licensing would be a pain, though, but a Star Wars/Star Trek/Doctor Who/Battlestar Galactic/Alien VS Predator/Babylon 5/etc. full-on fighter would be quite something.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Reminds of the general sci-fi fighter idea I've thought of from time to time. Licensing would be a pain, though, but a Star Wars/Star Trek/Doctor Who/Battlestar Galactic/Alien VS Predator/Babylon 5/etc. full-on fighter would be quite something.
I would be fun seeing daleks murder jedi

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
capcom vs dr who monsters! no? ill see myself out
As much as that would have been amazing, Doctor Who was like, dead in the 90s. Aside from 96. Which begs the question... could it have been possible that they'd made it to promote the 1996 TV movie? The question then is raised about a few other things: For instance, would they use Sylvester McCoy in the game, or Paul McGann - or both? After all, both appeared in the movie in question, and McGann was a new face...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As much as that would have been amazing, Doctor Who was like, dead in the 90s. Aside from 96. Which begs the question... could it have been possible that they'd made it to promote the 1996 TV movie? The question then is raised about a few other things: For instance, would they use Sylvester McCoy in the game, or Paul McGann - or both? After all, both appeared in the movie in question, and McGann was a new face...
ah but that’s where you’re mistaken, the series may have been in hiatus but the franchise was by know means dead. Comics, books, audio stories carried on throughout. Even the occasional game iirc

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Continuing from where I left off from my previous post, here is my concept for a fighting game based upon Spider-Man: Secret Wars.

Synopsis: The Beyonder summons forth heroes and villains around earth to see who will triumph between good and evil. As chosen by the Beyonder to lead for the side of good, Spider-Man must bring forth a team of heroes to help conquer against the side of evil.

Characters: My ideal roster for Spider-Man: Secret Wars will be based upon what was shown in the 1994 animated series.

The side of good:
  • Spider-Man
  • Black Cat
  • Human Torch
  • Thing
  • Iron Man
  • Captain America
  • Storm
The side of evil:
  • Dr. Octopus
  • Alistair Smythe
  • Dr. Doom
  • The Lizard
  • Red Skull
Final Boss:
  • The Beyonder
Most of the stages will be centered around specific areas and locations across "Battleworld", a realm created by the Beyonder. The final boss stage will center around the Beyonder's Chambers.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Fantastic Four - sure, they weren't as popular as the X-Men back in the 90's, but there's a pretty varied line-up to work with.

Aside from the Fantastic Four themselves (Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch, the Thing), you could have some of the reserve members like She-Hulk (who joined the team after Secret Wars in the 80's) and Crystal, or allied heroes with strong associations to the team like Black Panther and Spider-Man, as playable characters. (though I'm not sure about adding Spider-Man unless they would want to use him to drum up sales, or to reuse assets from Marvel Super Heroes)

Throw in some playable bad guys like Dr. Doom, Namor, the Super Skrull, or Annihilus, add the Silver Surfer and Galactus as boss-only characters, and that seems like a pretty solid line-up with a wide variety of powers and distinct appearances.

FF roster.png

There's no shortage of potential stages between the Baxter Building, the streets of New York, Latveria, Atlantis, the Negative Zone, Wakanda, Attilan, ancient Egypt, the Microverse, various alien planets...

As for the plot... I mean, it's a fighting game - the plot is going to be razor thin as it is. Maybe Dr. Doom's found a way to reproduce the Ultimate Nullifier, and various characters have the pieces needed, with the heroes trying to keep those parts away from Doom and the villains wanting it for their own purposes? Maybe Doom created robotic replicas of the heroes and is using them to frame the Fantastic Four and their allies, or to gather the pieces? Doom doesn't really need a reason to attack the FF; I'm just trying to think of something that would cause Galactus to get involved.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Fantastic Four - sure, they weren't as popular as the X-Men back in the 90's, but there's a pretty varied line-up to work with.

Aside from the Fantastic Four themselves (Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch, the Thing), you could have some of the reserve members like She-Hulk (who joined the team after Secret Wars in the 80's) and Crystal, or allied heroes with strong associations to the team like Black Panther and Spider-Man, as playable characters. (though I'm not sure about adding Spider-Man unless they would want to use him to drum up sales, or to reuse assets from Marvel Super Heroes)

Throw in some playable bad guys like Dr. Doom, Namor, the Super Skrull, or Annihilus, add the Silver Surfer and Galactus as boss-only characters, and that seems like a pretty solid line-up with a wide variety of powers and distinct appearances.

View attachment 340146

There's no shortage of potential stages between the Baxter Building, the streets of New York, Latveria, Atlantis, the Negative Zone, Wakanda, Attilan, ancient Egypt, the Microverse, various alien planets...

As for the plot... I mean, it's a fighting game - the plot is going to be razor thin as it is. Maybe Dr. Doom's found a way to reproduce the Ultimate Nullifier, and various characters have the pieces needed, with the heroes trying to keep those parts away from Doom and the villains wanting it for their own purposes? Maybe Doom created robotic replicas of the heroes and is using them to frame the Fantastic Four and their allies, or to gather the pieces? Doom doesn't really need a reason to attack the FF; I'm just trying to think of something that would cause Galactus to get involved.
when did namor go full bad guy? i knew he was a jerk but i hadnt realized hed switched sides

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
when did namor go full bad guy? i knew he was a jerk but i hadnt realized hed switched sides
He's been on the borderline (in Avengers vs. X-Men, he flooded Wakanda, and in the lead-up to Secret Wars 2015, he was the only member of the Illuminati to be willing to blow up a planet, but those were a few years back), but I figure that sometimes, they have to fudge this sort of thing a bit - Meta Knight and Dedede are treated like villains in Smash Bros., for example, despite being on Kirby's side most of the time. (plus, I figured he'd be more interesting gameplay-wise than a bunch of other options, like Mole Man or the Wizard)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He's been on the borderline (in Avengers vs. X-Men, he flooded Wakanda, and in the lead-up to Secret Wars 2015, he was the only member of the Illuminati to be willing to blow up a planet, but those were a few years back), but I figure that sometimes, they have to fudge this sort of thing a bit - Meta Knight and Dedede are treated like villains in Smash Bros., for example, despite being on Kirby's side most of the time. (plus, I figured he'd be more interesting gameplay-wise than a bunch of other options, like Mole Man or the Wizard)
well i knew about those incidents i was just wondering if he'd finally dropped all pretences

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Iron Man - Like what Megadoomer Megadoomer stated about the Fantastic Four, Iron Man wasn't quite on the same heights of X-Men and Spider-Man during the 90s.

Synopsis: When Tony Stark realised someone or something had been selling his armor and technology that turned out to be the Justin Hammer coorporating with the Mandarin. Little did they know, the technology they used will unleash a new form of evil awaits them that could pose a threat to Earth.

Based upon the two seasons of the animated series, the roster will consist of some of the characters who were part of Tony Stark's team, his allies and enemies and the Mandarin's henchmen. Fin Fang Foom will serve as the game's final boss.

Characters
  • Iron Man
  • War Machine
  • Hawkeye
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Sunturion
  • Madam Masque
  • Whirlwind
  • Blizzard
  • Grey Gargoyle
  • MODOK
  • Mandarin (Sub-Boss)
Final Boss:
  • Fin Fang Foom
As for some of the stage ideas, it may consist of Stark Industries, A.I.M. Headquarters and Valley of the Spirits Caverns.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I know this is cheating a little, but Capcom vs. Final Fantasy

Capcom

1. Ryu
  2. Ken
  3. Chun-Li
  4. Guile
  5. Sakura
  6. M. Bison
  7. Mega Man
  8. Zero
  9. Tron Bonne
  10. Jill Valentine
  11. Captain Commando
  12. Strider Hiryu
  13. Morrigan
  14. Kyosuke
  15. Sir Arthur
Final Fantasy
  1. Cloud
  2. Barret
  3. Tifa
  4. Aerith
  5. Red XIII
  6. Cid
  7. Vincent
  8. Yuffie
  9. Sephiroth
  10. Black Mage
  11. Cecil Harvey
  12. Gilgamesh
  13. Kefka
  14. Squall
  15. Chocobo & Moogle

Grooves
  1. Street Groove; works like a super meter in SF Alpha 2
  2. Fantasy Groove; an MP meter, which refills with each successful combo, is required to use special moves. Once it’s full, it becomes a Limit Meter, which allows your character to use their Limit Break (a super move in this game)

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, I do have two other Marvel fighting games that I reckon Capcom would had taken advantage of back in the 90's

1. X-Men Vs Spider-Man

Plot/Synopsis:

Apocalypse discovered and infused the symbiote's power that calls itself Venom-Apocalypse in which its objective is to rule and infect earth with the symbiote. Alerted by its presence, Charles Xavier and the X-Men must team up with Spider-Man and his allies to defend Venom-Apocalypse's atrocities.

Characters:

X-Men Team:

• Wolverine
  • Cyclops
  • Storm
  • Gambit
  • Psylocke
  • Sentinel
  • Juggernaut
  • Magneto
Spider-Man Team:
  • Spider-Man
  • Black Cat
  • Rocket Racer
  • Silver Sable
  • Dr. Strange
  • Dr. Octopus
  • Green Goblin
  • Rhino
Sub Boss:
  • Apocalypse
  • Venom
Final Boss:
  • Venom-Apocalypse.
2. Marvel's The Legion of Monsters

This is what could had been Marvel's take on the Darkstalkers, where supernatural and monster beings fight to prevent Dracula's plan on transforming humans in to vampires:

Characters:
  • Werewolf by Night
  • N'Kantu the Living Mummy
  • Man-Thing
  • Frankenstein's Monster
  • Michael Morbius
  • Ghost Rider
  • Shuma Gorath
  • Blackheart
  • Satana Hellstrom
  • Dracula

Last edited:

Sephion

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
SEPH#689

uhhh, castlevania?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In a slightly out-there pick, I find it interesting to imagine if Capcom had gotten the rights for both Marvel and DC fighting games, gradually building up to one big crossover between the two. Assuming that they'd follow a similar route to what they did with Marvel, a solo series seems like the safest starting point, and in the 90's, Batman was everywhere, so a Batman game seems like a good place to start.

BATMAN: KNIGHTFALL

(the game wouldn't necessarily be based on the Knightfall storyline; I just thought it would make for a cool title)

The heroes seem straightforward - Batman (1), Nightwing (2), and Robin (Tim Drake) (3). At this point in the comics, Batgirl had been crippled by the Joker, and was acting as Oracle, so I'm not sure whether to go with Batgirl or not. I'm sticking to a self-imposed limit of 12 characters (since it's the first game in a series and that's what X-Men: Children of the Atom and the earliest versions of Street Fighter 2 had), so I'll leave her out for now for the sake of gameplay variety and see if there's room to add her in later.

Catwoman (4) would be in the roster, though whether she qualifies as a hero or a villain is anyone's guess.

As for villains, the Joker (5) and Harley Quinn (6) seem like obvious picks that don't need any explanation. (maybe I'm looking at Harley with hindsight bias, but she's one of the few characters from the DCAU to successfully transition into the comics, so even back in the mid-nineties, she seemed popular) If the game's called "Knightfall", it feels like Bane (7) has to be in here, even if it's not directly based on that comic - he's a big guy (for you) and a grappler-type character, so that would make him stand out among the roster.

Out of the classic Batman villains, I'll go with Two-Face (8) - he's generally portrayed as a tall imposing figure, giving him more range than Batman without Bane's bulk, so that seems like it might make him work well compared to the likes of the Riddler or the Penguin. (the Penguin's trick umbrellas could make for some interesting gameplay gimmicks, but not to the extent of the next three) However, given technical limitations, Capcom would likely have to do what they did with Sagat and keep one of his sides (likely his scarred one) facing the player at all times, rather than making completely different sprites depending on whether he's facing left or right. (though it would be weirdly fitting if Two-Face of all characters required twice as much work as everyone else)

Batman's more sci-fi oriented villains seem like they'd work well for an over-the-top fighting game - Clayface (9), Mister Freeze (10), and Poison Ivy (11) all seem like they'd bring a lot to the table gameplay-wise, thanks to Clayface's shapeshifting (he could turn his body into anything, whether it's weapons, shapes, or other characters), Poison Ivy's toxins and control over plants, and Mister Freeze's ice gun and armour. Scarecrow just barely missed out on being added - his fear toxin would make for some interesting gameplay, but I've only got one character left, and it would have to be a final boss. When it comes to a boss character and mastermind behind the events of the story, it seems like one option stands out above the rest.

Ra's al Ghul (12) might not be as persistent as the Joker or as personal as Two-Face, but when it comes to the scale of his threats, he's the most dangerous among Batman's rogues gallery. I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't been made into a playable character in Injustice yet. He seems fitting as a final boss - while he might not be as flashy as Clayface or the Joker, he's an assassin who's been around for at least five hundred years, so he's an experienced fighter who knows countless ways to kill someone.

Ra's would be the mastermind behind the story, with Batman, Robin, and Nightwing trying to stop him, and the villains being after his resources for their own purposes - Mister Freeze wants a Lazarus Pit for Nora, Bane wants to take the League of Assassins for himself, Catwoman wants whatever treasures the League has gathered over the centuries, etc. If you play as Ra's, he's trying to stop someone who stole his identity and is using the resources of the League of Assassins for their own ends.

TL;DR:

1. Batman
2. Nightwing
3. Robin
4. Catwoman
5. The Joker
6. Harley Quinn
7. Bane
8. Two-Face
9. Clayface
10. Poison Ivy
11. Mister Freeze
12. Ra's Al Ghul

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Continuing my previous post, I'm going to move on to a general DC crossover: Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths. (yes, I'm aware that Knightfall happened after Crisis on Infinite Earths, but the premise is too good to pass up) Much like Marvel Super Heroes, I'll go with twelve playable characters, though in this case, the boss would be like Apocalypse or Onslaught where they couldn't really be playable.

I'm hoping to have at least one character from most of the five Earths that the story focuses on, though obviously, Earth-1 is going to get most of the focus. Each character would have an alternate darker palette - the Anti-Monitor has shadow people as his minions, so these darker palette swaps would take on that role in the game.

Earth-1: I feel like the inclusion of Superman (1), Batman (2), and Wonder Woman (3) needs no justification. Superman plays a bigger role than the other two, but it's Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman - when it's a general DC crossover, there's no reason not to include them. The Flash (4) and Supergirl (5) seem like they should be here, given their role in the storyline.

Earth-2: home to the Justice Society, serving as a separate universe where the Golden Age superheroes kept adventuring, or grew old and passed the torch to the next generation. While Earth-2's Superman plays a big role in the story, he's not visually distinct from the main Superman (he's got wrinkles and graying hair, and his S symbol looks slightly different, but that's about it), so I think I'll go with other characters. Power Girl (6) may be an older version of Supergirl, but there would be enough of a difference in terms of their gameplay (with Power Girl being more of a heavy hitter or physical fighter than Supergirl) and appearance to justify it. Doctor Fate (7) is another character from this Earth who's easily recognizable, so I think I'll include him as well.

Earth-S: home to Captain Marvel (currently known as Shazam) before his Earth was merged with the main DC Earth and he became part of the main continuity. Of course, we have to include Captain Marvel (8) in here. (I'm used to calling him Shazam, but he was allowed to be called Captain Marvel for Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, so I think he'd be called that here as well)

Earth-4: home to the characters of Charlton Comics, who were the basis for the characters of Watchmen. While the Blue Beetle (9) seems to be hilariously outmatched by every single other character that I've mentioned so far (including Batman), he seems to be the most notable character from this universe. (plus, Marvel vs. Capcom games have given us Hawkeye vs. Shuma-Gorath - accuracy in power levels takes a backseat with this sort of thing)

Earth-X: an alternate universe where Germany won World War 2. Honestly, I have looked through the list of heroes from this universe, but none of them stand out to me - maybe it's my lack of familiarity with the DC universe, but the main hero from that universe who's used in this story (Uncle Sam) doesn't seem particularly interesting, none of the other ones like Phantom Lady or The Ray seem to do much in the story, and I don't think I should shoe-horn one into this line-up just for the sake of having an Earth-X character.

Others: While Green Lantern doesn't play a major role in the storyline, it's a big cosmic adventure story, and the Green Lantern mythos is tied to the backstory of the Monitor and the Anti-Monitor, so including a Green Lantern (10) in the roster of this hypothetical game just makes sense. I'm not sure about what was going on in the main DC universe just before Crisis, but John Stewart seems to be the main Green Lantern at the time (not sure what happened to Hal Jordan) so I'll go with him.

I feel like this line-up is short on villains - I suppose it's inevitable, given how severely I'm limiting myself (infinite Earths and only twelve characters? What was I thinking?!), but I should probably include some. Alex Luthor, the last survivor of Earth-3, plays a major role in the story, but if you're going to include a Luthor in a DC fighting game, it's got to be Lex Luthor (11), the greatest criminal mind of our time! (given the scope of Crisis, a game like this would only be loosely based on the comic - Lex gets a subplot in the story where he teams up with Brainiac to take over the five remaining Earths, and it's a point in time where he has his Kryptonite-powered battle suit, so while it's a relatively minor point in the story, it seems like enough justification to include him)

On the polar opposite end of that spectrum in terms of sheer power, Darkseid (12) plays a major role in the climax of the mini-series, and given how jam-packed this book is when it comes to characters, anything that makes someone stand out could work as justification to include them.

Final Boss: it's the Anti-Monitor, obviously. He'd be a giant, and therefore, not playable - while he can become human-sized, it seems like spectacle would take priority here, and making him an unplayable boss would allow for him to be as cheap as he should be, considering how much it took to take him down.

The plot of the game seems pretty straight-forward - the Anti-Monitor wants to destroy all of the positive matter universes with a wall of anti-matter, and the playable characters want to stop him. (The heroes because it's the right thing to do; Darkseid and Luthor because they can't get what they want if the multiverse is destroyed)

TL;DR:
1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Wonder Woman
4. The Flash (Barry Allen)
5. Green Lantern (John Stewart)
6. Supergirl
7. Power Girl
8. Doctor Fate
9. Captain Marvel/Shazam
10. Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
11. Lex Luthor