• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Control your Hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice

So, I understand you probably have such high hopes for this game; this is the ultimate Smash Brothers game, with the many characters and stages to choose from, however, there's always a cost. When it comes to a new installment in every series, fans always hope for their suggestions to become a reality in the game, but sometimes, it doesn't happen and that's the point I'm getting at.
If there's a character you wanted but didn't make it in, a new mode you wanted but wasn't added or new features that you think you would improve the experience but weren't implemented.
In other words, don't make a fuss or complain if something you wanted didn't happen. If Geno, for example, didn't make it then there is nothing we can do. At the end of the day, you can't win them all. This game might have many things, but it certainly will not have everything you wanted.
For example, I really wanted a story mode like Subspace, but I still think it's pretty unlikely for it to happen and if it doesn't happen, we have no choice but to accept it.
So, be sure to prepare yourself, for a game this large, there's bound to be things you find disappointing or maybe not, which is great.
Remember when people are hyped for No Man's Sky and were completely devastated that it didn't live up to there exaggerated expectations? Basically that.
Thanks to Blade of Evil's Bane for the image and advice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, some people are bound to be dissapointed about something with this game, knowing this fanbase. As for me, I've always had some aspects of certian Smash games I didn't like.
  • Melee's roster
  • Tripping and The Great Maze in Brawl
  • Smash Tour in 4
  • The fact the Zelda hasn't received a newcomer yet
But, none of these have stopped me from enjoying Smash, and I won't let anything else stop me from enjoying Ultimate.

Spatman

Smash Ace
this topic makes much sense. Still, it's hard accept the fact that in 30+ characters between smash 4, dlcs and ultimate I won't see the only one I really care for that at same time is (or should be) exactly the opposite of a pipe dream, and rather (if I wouldn't sound entitled saying so) almost an overdued character

btw, roster aside, I hope it will be a very funny game, capable of long lasting in the years. I hope there will be enough (but not too many) true combo/50:50 too

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
this topic makes much sense. Still, it's hard accept the fact that in 30+ characters between smash 4, dlcs and ultimate I won't see the only one I really care for that at same time is (or should be) exactly the opposite of a pipe dream, and rather (if I wouldn't sound entitled saying so) almost an overdued character

btw, roster aside, I hope it will be a very funny game, capable of long lasting in the years. I hope there will be enough (but not too many) true combo/50:50 too
Which character are you referring too? At this point most of the community has relegated Skull Kid to being a boss at most and pretty much agree that Isaac’s 100% absence in smash 4 has him on a lower likelyhood.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Which character are you referring too? At this point most of the community has relegated Skull Kid to being a boss at most and pretty much agree that Isaac’s 100% absence in smash 4 has him on a lower likelyhood.
Dixie Kong

31fps

Banned via Warnings
Honestly I have no clue what you're talking about. Ultimate is amazing, I can hardly imagine being disappointed about my most wanted fighters not making it in when we have so many amazing things to appreciate.

This thread basically sounds like, "Did you not get everything you wanted, well SHUT UP." It's a big sense of negativity. No one wants to hear what you have to say if its "Prepare to be disappointed."

*I'd appreciate it if this thread was closed*

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
With Ivysaur and Squad Strike I already have everything I wanted.

I'll admit, if there's no Stage Builder, that'd be a bummer, but all in all you are wrong.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Well you can't please everyone. That is inevitable especially with a fanbase as huge as Smash. But I don't think anyone here will cry about it either when the game will come out. At least I hope so.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Well you can't please everyone. That is inevitable especially with a fanbase as huge as Smash. But I don't think anyone here will cry about it either when the game will come out. At least I hope so.
The only modes I genuinely hope don’t return from smash 4 are Smash tour and Target Blast. If for some reason he kept Smash tour instead of smash run and decided to keep target blast instead of bringing back target smash... not gonna lie that would be the most disappointing part of this game.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I personally want to see Smash Tour and Smash Run back, and would also like a new Stage Builder... wait, this isn't the right thread for that kind of talk.

D

Deleted member

The only way this game could be disappointing for me is if:

1: Bayo doesn't get balanced which even still I will enjoy the game

2: Iconic characters like Zelda, Mario or link get cut (obviously not happening)

3: It turns out like Brawls playstyle (again, not happening.)

Also, your title is a bit negative. I mean seriously, look at how much love is being put into the game? Smh

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Every Smash game so far has had things I didn't want and left out things I did want. None of them have disapointed me though.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Honestly, I'm already sort of disappointed that most victory themes and numerous character voices are still ported from Brawl, that the DK rap is still missing sections, that Samus does not have her Samus Returns armor, that Mario's fire flower color is gone, that Final Fantasy still seemingly has only 2 music tracks; I could go on. In that sense, why prepare? I'm already disappointed :p

In reality, I could not be more excited to obtain and play this game. There are so many characters I want to try, so many stages to see updated, and a major new mode to learn about! It's easy to be truly disappointed when you look at what's missing. When you look at what we already have, I'll never fully understand how someone could find this game and everything its developers have accomplished therein to be disappointing.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
that Mario's fire flower color is gone,
We don’t know that for a fact just yet. Remember that some new costumes and stuff are being shown off still? It’s obvious at this point that Yoshi (though we’ve only seen 4+crafted Yoshi) and Ridley both have 9 costumes, and I’d assume others will have the same. Ultimate game, ultimate number of costumes!

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
The only things that could sdissapoint me is that spirits mode is something as lame as smash tour, or no stage builder at all.... otherwise, im not disapointed :3

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
To me Ultimate can't be disappointing in anyway. I got K.Rool and Ridley. Chrom, Dark Samus, Isabelle, Daisy, and Inklings are just awesome cherries on a fantastic sundae. The stage list is incredible. I'm sorry but the roster of newcomers alone so far already puts it FAR ABOVE Smash Wii U/3DS which I think has been the weakest Smash entry by far.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think it's okay to be disappointed if your favorite character didn't get in, as long as you had realistic expectations about it. Sakurai said "don't expect too many challengers," after all. Nobody should act like Smash Ultimate is missing a key character if their obscure third party favorite didn't make the cut.

Even among Nintendo characters... not everyone can get in. But also, you can't say Sakurai didn't try to please fans this time around.

Personally? This could be the last Smash game ever and it would be damn near perfect.

Last edited:
as far as characters are concerned I’m good. my main concern is gameplay honestly, but from what I’ve played it feels awesome.

I feel like skepticism is surfacing due to only seeing footage of the game from the same demo over and over again, when in reality there is a whole world of changes and 40+ other characters to play as.

I just can’t wait to try everyone.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I'm not disappointed in the slightest as it currently is. If I got Isaac it would just be the cherry on top. Would I be sad if he didn't? sure but I'll still have a damn good time with this game anyway.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ultimately (pun not intended) you just can't please everybody, no matter what your product has to offer. It's always gonna boil down to that. Everybody's got different reasons for it, which may or may not be just.

I do think the majority of the fanbase is going to enjoy this game, however. At this point, I know I'm gonna love it. So long as it's well balanced. And I'm personally fully faithful that it will be. As far as I'm concerned, the game looks great in just about every aspect.

Stay optimistic, folks, but do remain cautious, as well.

Uffe

Smash Hero
All I'm wondering is how many characters are going to be OP before Sakurai and the gang decide it's time to nerf? This game could be the most disappointing thing to happen when it comes to the Smash series, but at the end of the day, I'll just stick it through like I did with Sm4sh.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
All I'm wondering is how many characters are going to be OP before Sakurai and the gang decide it's time to nerf? This game could be the most disappointing thing to happen when it comes to the Smash series, but at the end of the day, I'll just stick it through like I did with Sm4sh.
Bayonetta and Pichu (he is going to be so OP when his self-damage, speed, and tiny hard-to-hit size are combined with rage mechanics) will be the most OP, followed by Diddy Kong and Fox at the top of non-broken tier lists.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Is this what they call 'concern trolling'? Really, what a useless, patronizing post.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
This game might finally do the thing that no one thought possible: Pichu as an S-tier. With that in mind, this is easily the best game in smash history, and outside of bad modes being revealed, I have nothing to truly hate about this game.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
The most realistic worst-case scenario for me would be that Stage Builder is completely MIA, the Mii Fighters aren't customizable in any capacity, and the unconfirmed mode is something completely disposable like Smash Tour was. Even then, I'll still very much enjoy Ultimate.

Character-wise? Meh. My Wish List are all either longshots (much to some people's chagrin, but **** 'em. It's my wish list and I'll fill it with pie-in-the-sky meme picks if I want to) or are already in the game.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Already have all I could possibly dream for. the return and buffening of Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Inklings, over 70 other characters to goof off with, squad strike, smashdown, nerfed defensive options and the return of all of my favorite stages from each smash game. I still remember going to school after melee came out wishing Squirtle and Sonic were in the game. Back then those seemed like absurd requests. I can't complain if I don't get whipped cream on this dish, its already a fancy dish.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I have no clue what you're talking about. Ultimate is amazing, I can hardly imagine being disappointed about my most wanted fighters not making it in when we have so many amazing things to appreciate.

This thread basically sounds like, "Did you not get everything you wanted, well SHUT UP." It's a big sense of negativity. No one wants to hear what you have to say if its "Prepare to be disappointed."

*I'd appreciate it if this thread was closed*
Is this what they call 'concern trolling'? Really, what a useless, patronizing post.
You two seem to have misinterpreted my post, I am simply saying that people should prepare themselves for disappointment if the game didn't satisfy them in the end. I remember people being so hyped and with high expectations for films and games, only to be disappointed simply because it didn't live to their expectations. Sometimes, the hype culture can really affect people's expectations to the point of exaggeration. I'm personally extremely excited for this game and even I know that I am possibly not going to have everything I want for this game. Take a page from the people who were hyped for No Man's Sky.

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
The game could be released today, with only what they revealed so far and I would be very pleased with it.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Smash tour... 2.0!!!!!!
I would not mind if they brought back Smash Tour as one of the small modes, at least then it would feel like a real thing and not just a Smash 4 fever dream.

Also does anyone find it weird that there is a whole button for Smash Tour, but only one button for classic, events, stadium, training, all-star, special orders, the vault with all trophies, snapshots, records etc, stage builder, all customization, like what the hell? When they say “games and MORE”, they mean it.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
The only two things I'm disappointed with is that I can't play Online(I AM NOT PAYING FOR THE ONLINE SERVICES) and the fact that Rage has returned. Though they could easily give us an option to turn off Rage considering we now have the option to turn off Stage Hazards. It's possible it can still be added. But really all the positives outweigh the negatives here. Everyone is here, An option to turn off stage hazards, a dedicated training mode and RIDLEY FINALLY MAKING IT IN. Yeah, I won't be that disappointed. I can care less for a Subspace-like mode anyways. Everything else I mentioned is already enough for me to buy the game.

You two seem to have misinterpreted my post, I am simply saying that people should prepare themselves for disappointment if the game didn't satisfy them in the end. I remember people being so hyped and with high expectations for films and games, only to be disappointed simply because it didn't live to their expectations. Sometimes, the hype culture can really affect people's expectations to the point of exaggeration. I'm personally extremely excited for this game and even I know that I am possibly not going to have everything I want for this game. Take a page from the people who were hyped for No Man's Sky.
I'm no expert of the english language (not my 1st language) but i think there's more than 2 people who misinterpreted your thread and your OP. Maybe you should consider changing the title and reformulate your original post, If i may propose something: ''Get HYPE but HYPE responsibly'' (if i get your point, it's basically what you want this thread to be about?). The current title and OP sound bit patronizing imo.

It could be a good subject to discuss with all the theories going around, there's a lot of people who are disappointed with the possibility that the box theory could turn out to be true (for example). Just in the last days, I've seen a lot of people going through the 5 (or 7) stages of grief live on the forum and this is not fun to witness. So... i think it (overhype withdrawal) may be a problem in some case, there is some potential for a discussion but maybe not enough for a thread dedicated to it (i could be wrong tho).

Here's a few images if you want to use one for your OP.

rob.jpg

godogod

Smash Ace
Rightnow, literally the best case scenarios happened.. We got all the cut characters back, actually got a graphical facelift(and significant one), and got a bunch of newcomers that were highly requested in the poll..
I'm not expecting a story mode with cut scenes, or even custom moves.. But an adventure mode like melee would be nice. Sakurai knows we want more single player focus.. Not having super high expectations.. but no matter what the outcome, I'm satisfied with what we have now.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Rightnow, literally the best case scenarios happened.. We got all the cut characters back, actually got a graphical facelift(and significant one), and got a bunch of newcomers that were highly requested in the poll..
I'm not expecting a story mode with cut scenes, or even custom moves.. But an adventure mode like melee would be nice. Sakurai knows we want more single player focus.. Not having super high expectations.. but no matter what the outcome, I'm satisfied with what we have now.
quite frankly, if the custom parts don't come back, good ****ing riddance. What disappointed me the most about Smash 4 was how the game was practically DROWNING in RNG horse****.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Ultimate is already more than what I dreamed off for a Smash game providing a lot of content that I didn't even know I wanted, and I don't have any special requests either. Doubt that is going to disappoint me in any way.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
the game gots ridley and rool what else does it need?

if I had to nit pick here are my very small concerns/disapointments

- not many new stages, I wish we at least got 10 of them
- the characters have been revealed a little better, and not have ken and incentroar be the last.

The only two things I'm disappointed with is that I can't play Online(I AM NOT PAYING FOR THE ONLINE SERVICES) and the fact that Rage has returned. Though they could easily give us an option to turn off Rage considering we now have the option to turn off Stage Hazards. It's possible it can still be added. But really all the positives outweigh the negatives here. Everyone is here, An option to turn off stage hazards, a dedicated training mode and RIDLEY FINALLY MAKING IT IN. Yeah, I won't be that disappointed. I can care less for a Subspace-like mode anyways. Everything else I mentioned is already enough for me to buy the game.

why not, 20 bucks is the price of 1 meal at a sit in restraunt except you get a year worth of service instead of just that one day. If you have friends thats getting it you can even get a good deal on a family pass

D

Deleted member

I don't really think of Smash that highly in the first place, so I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom