• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare for Trouble! Team Rocket for Smash!

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
And Make it Double!
2hyre1.jpg

Who are Team Rocket?
Team Rocket is a villanous organization in pursuit of evil and the exploitation of Pokémon. They are based in the Kanto and Jotho regions. While its main focus is stealing or capturing rare and strong Pokémon, and subsequently selling them, it also funds and conducts cruel experimental research on Pokémon. At times, it has even killed Pokémon. Their oath, as posted on the wall of one of their many bases, is "Steal Pokémon for profit. Exploit Pokémon for profit. All Pokémon exist for the glory of Team Rocket." Their ultimate goal is to take over the world using Pokémon.

Why Jessie and James?
Jessie and James are the first Team Rocket duo who appear in the anime, along with their talking Meowth partner. They appear as mini-bosses in Yellow, Lets Go, Pikachu!, and Let's Go, Eevee! They are the most recognizeable members of the group and are two of the few characters to appear in all anime series and the only ones to be adapted to the game series, and not the opposite. When the topic is Team Rocket, they are probably the faces imagined.

How could they work?
They could be a Pokemon Trainer type of character, that uses three pokemon to fight for them. What would set them apart from the other fighters, is that their pokemon are much different from the ones we have in Smash. Below are some possibilities:
  • The Iconic Orange Island's trio? If you want a simpler character, This is the perfect formation for you.
  • The Iconic Original trio? This formation generates a really unique fighter and brings lots of nostalgia.
  • A normal Trainer with unusual body styles?
    Arbok has no legs and would need to get really close to cause some damege, Weezing could use smoke to battle, Victreebel could be focused on powerful grabs and Lickitung would have the most unusual body part as weapon in the shape of its tongue.
  • A mix of Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers?
    Team Rocket could work as a duo character that allows you to change the second character to better suit your needs.
To Wrap up
They are unique, nostalgic and Iconic. They woukld fit the role as a villain for the pokemon series. They could be really unique and bring some fresh fight styles to the roster. Join us and support Team Rocket!

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Shame that this thread is dead. I love the idea.

Edit: Almost forgot to say, put me on the supporters list.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Arcadenik Arcadenik Did you see this thread?

Slap me on the supporters list. Meowth alone deserves a place, Jessie, James and the other Rocket Pokemon would be the icing on the cake.

...definitely prefer Meowth to be in the lineup though. I know he's not a traditional fighting Pokemon but with all the weird and wonderful Team Rocket mechas and gadgets he's used in the anime it would be a shame to exclude him.

No Wobbuffet counter though?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Arcadenik Arcadenik Did you see this thread?

Slap me on the supporters list. Meowth alone deserves a place, Jessie, James and the other Rocket Pokemon would be the icing on the cake.

...definitely prefer Meowth to be in the lineup though. I know he's not a traditional fighting Pokemon but with all the weird and wonderful Team Rocket mechas and gadgets he's used in the anime it would be a shame to exclude him.

No Wobbuffet counter though?
I didn’t see this thread. But yeah, add me as a supporter.

451ACA6D-272A-480B-9694-98D6FC8DED46.jpeg

Wobbuffet counter would be awesome! I think it could work as either neutral special (like Peach’s Toad) or as down special.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would like seeing them, but sadly they have so much going against them:
>not much demand compared to other characters (especially Pokémon ones)
>fans don't believe that explicit anime-related elements will get in that much anymore
>head staffers generally pick a recent Pokémon and rarely go after Gen 1 stuff
>fan attention is diverted almost entirely towards other Pokémon (of which about 99% most likely won't get in for the reason mentioned above anyway)
>many fans want to actively avoid Gen 1 oversaturation and focus on higher gens
>there's only been one Pokémon trainer in Smash so far (technically two as of Ultimate)
The only advantage that they have besides Let's Go, is their mainstay appearance in the anime.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only advantage that they have besides Let's Go, is their mainstay appearance in the anime.
Yes... and because of the anime, their feet are at the door. Now if they can get steal that Smash invitation...

And I hope Jessie, James, and Meowth will show up in more Pokemon games in the future because I want them to be relevant in current video games.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I found this image. it's not my ideal move-set for them, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
We got Rocket Grunt Mii outfits + confirmation of even more DLC characters this direct, that's pretty good for Meowth/The TR trio. Albeit unfortunately the Pokeball Meowth wasn't put together with them, although they were with Pikachu and Eevee which referenced let's go, where he was.
If only he could get popular as a request.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We got Rocket Grunt Mii outfits + confirmation of even more DLC characters this direct, that's pretty good for Meowth/The TR trio. Albeit unfortunately the Pokeball Meowth wasn't put together with them, although they were with Pikachu and Eevee which referenced let's go, where he was.
If only he could get popular as a request.
I was more hyped for Team Rocket Mii costumes than I was hyped for Terry Bogard!

Can’t believe Terry actually got in! So happy about him!

But oh my goodness! The first Pokémon Mii costumes are Team Rocket!!!

Just goes to show you that Team Rocket is and always will be iconic and relevant in spite of the fact they are from 1st Gen.

Hopefully Team Rocket with Meowth, Arbok, and Weezing will get in the next Smash as a playable fighter.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Did anyone here get the Rocket Mii skins and NOT try to make Jessie and James with them?

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I thought this thread was dead, but we have responses as recent as September. Great to see. I am just updating the thread to post this Roster Maker Icon, for me to not lose it anymore and for you to use:

Made by rychu_supadude. And yes, I was more hyped with the Team Rocket costumes than with Sams lol

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Maybe Jessie and James could be saved for greater roles, I'd hope at least.
My personal favourite idea still remains having Meowth do the main battling with using some of their Pokemons for a few moves/assisting. Not sure where they'd appear though but definitely in his victory screens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom