• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Preferred Rules Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Let's start compiling data on your preferred rules settings! Post your exact settings and once a week starting next Sunday I will update the OP with a tally of player choices and over time we should be able to get a good idea of what all people prefer.

Mine:

Format - Team Battle
Rules - Stock Match
Stock - 3
Time Limit - 7 min
Stage - Battlefield Stages
Items - None

Most Popular: (Number in (#) indicates total for that selection) Updated: 1/6/2019

Format - 1v1 (11)
Rules - Stock Match (12)
Stock – 3 (12)
Time Limit - 7 min (10)
Stage - Battlefield Stages (8)
Items – None (12)

Outliers:

Format - Team Battle (1)
Time Limit - 5 min (1)
Time Limit – 6 min (1)
Stage - Omega Stages (4)

Last edited:

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
it's like there is nothing keeping the online matchmaking system in check. i know there were issues in 1.1.0 that were supposedly fixed for a lot of people, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me even in the slightest. before i go into issues i have with online, let me lay down some information.

my gsp is currently hovering around 400,000 with ness, and it's only that low because every game i have played was the result of dysfunctional matchmaking. my preferred rules are turned on, and i have them set to the following rules. the rules i have highlighted in purple are preferred rules i personally thing are extra important when it comes to the matchmaking process.
  • 1v1 match
  • stock battle
  • three lives
  • seven minutes
  • final destination
    • i would also accept battlefield
  • no items
there is one main reason why i think the matchmaking is dysfunctional. my preferred rules aren't even being accounted for. i very rarely get to play a match where all of those purple rules was competitively based settings. usually it is the first one that screws everything up. i just want to play standard competitive 1v1 and get good by experience, but when i am put into free for all matches where everyone is targeting everyone (or worse, a 1v3 situation), i never get a chance to truly test my skills. sometimes, i just get put into a timed match where one or two people camp the whole time and waits for another to be at kill percent. those aren't fun at all. i have yet to be put into a stamina match, but honestly, it's just looking to be a matter of time before i eventually see one. half the matches i get put into are matches with items on. it's just too random, and i don't see why anyone would want to play with them, but here i am being forced to do so very frequently. even if i get lucky enough with everything already mentioned, it's also only a 50% chance of seeing a final destination stage. the preferred rules of the other person usually put me on hazard forms where i have to evade something while fighting. walk offs create terrible situations of who can read the other better. god forbid i am ever put on f***ing hanenbow or 75m. i would die immediately with ness's crap recovery. rarely do i ever get preferred rules to go my way. it's less than a 10% chance that i find a good competitively viable match up, and if they leave immediately, then i'm stuck finding new opponent(s) who will likely cycle me back into crappy and unwanted battles.

people said this was fixed, yet i am not seeing any of the proclaimed fixes. it's just as bad as the 1.1.0 update.

by the way, if anyone here is about to say "Git Gud, and raise your GSP to find better matchups.", i can't because skill in the competitive scene doesn't help at all in most of the battles i am placed in. that's part of the issues i am experiencing. it's stuck in the 250k-500k range because of casual smash forcibly plaguing my online experience. trying to raise gsp is not an option.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I use rules like yours and haven't seen a 3 or 4 player FFA since 1.2. I've been well past a million GSP since 1.2 dropped though. I have a friend who started matchmaking with similar rules and was only in the 2-300k GSP area and didn't get any FFA either post 1.2. I will get stages that aren't what I want here and there (I always have it set to BF and will get the occasional Omega or even a random hazards off stage), and I believe stages are near bottom priority on preferred rules. I've also gotten the occasional 1v1 items on match as well.

I know this could be wrong, but after seeing a bunch of random things change online that aren't in my preferred rules, I believe the priority goes something like:
1. Player Proximity
2. GSP
3. Preferred rules on 1v1/FFA/Teams
4. Preferred rules on whether you want a Stock/Time/etc battle
5. Preferred rules on items on/off
6. Preferred rules on stock count, time limit (note this is not the same as #3)
7. Preferred rules on stage choice, whether it be random Omegas, random BF, random hazards off, etc

Just my thoughts. I also think there may be too much priority on #1 and #2 as well, with 3-7 possibly all being the same priority. Usually when I run into someone who has items on, or has a very different time limit/stock count than I do, it seems to throw out a random mix of each opponent's preferred rules. Like I may get my preferred stage, but items will be on. Or it will be on my stage, but 2 stock and 5 minutes vs my choice of 3 stock 7 minutes.

I understand they want you to get as smooth of a connection as possible. That makes sense, but I would rather wait a few extra minutes for someone to enter matchmaking with something closer to my preferred rules than be dumped into something with the total opposite.

The only thing I can think of in your situation is your location is working against you with their system as it is now.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Merging this with the preferred rules data set so we can track online player preference. I'd like to eventually gain a true concensus which could lead to an official rule set for quickplay and that future players could use this to match settings to get a better chance of finding what they want if everyone has the same thing.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Format - 1v1
Rules - Stock Match
Stock - 3
Time Limit - 7 min
Items - None

I switch here and there to Omega stages but I feel like those are generally less neutral than BF, especially being unable to run through opponents now. I just do it because I know I'll need to deal with them if I go to a tournament somewhere.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Format - 1v1
Rules - Stock Match
Stock - 3
Time Limit - 7 min
Stage - Battlefield (Final Destination fine)
Items - None

Sidenote: Please don't pick hazardless.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
3 stock and 7 minutes is the norm. I guess I can tolerate 6 minutes but if you want to play with competitive rules - use this ruleset.

I still see a lot of people playing two stocks - I am guessing these are people coming over from Smash 4 For Glory. That won't cut it for me. This game is much quicker than Smash 4 with reduced defensive options. It doesn't need to handicap itself with two stocks to end on time.

Hazardless is good in Arenas. That's what I prefer...but in Quickplay don't use it. The game will most likely give a non-viable stage. I can tolerate the odd match on unorthodox stages like Corneria and Pirate Ship on occasion, but hazards off can also give you walk-offs or big stages. That's no good and with no control over the stage selection that will cause issues on a regular basis.

Battlefield is the way to go in Quickplay. Mostly because I don't like flat stages. It can benefit characters, but platforms are universally more balanced than Omegas.

Tl;dr: 3 stock, 7 minutes, Battlefield, 1v1 is the way to go baby.

If I do FFAs I still go Battlefield only. But that's because I do competitive ruleset FFAs. Kind of like the old For Glory Smash mode but better. It's just a more casual experience with fair rules. Try it out sometime!

Last edited:

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
Merging this with the preferred rules data set so we can track online player preference. I'd like to eventually gain a true concensus which could lead to an official rule set for quickplay and that future players could use this to match settings to get a better chance of finding what they want if everyone has the same thing.
i made my post its own thread because i believe there is still something fundamentally flawed with how the game is pairing me up with people. the preferred rules i use were listed in there because i needed to establish to the reader what it is i want in a match up so i could compare them to what i'm actually getting out of online service. merging my post with this thread has only shifted the perceived meaning of it to be closer to the polar opposite of the intended meaning. it feels like a pointless post now.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
i made my post its own thread because i believe there is still something fundamentally flawed with how the game is pairing me up with people. the preferred rules i use were listed in there because i needed to establish to the reader what it is i want in a match up so i could compare them to what i'm actually getting out of online service. merging my post with this thread has only shifted the perceived meaning of it to be closer to the polar opposite of the intended meaning. it feels like a pointless post now.
I kinda figured but 1, your complaint doesn't need its own thread as there's already a billion threads with people complaining about online, and 2, this data set could well be the solution to your problem albeit it'll take some time.

For your personal issue though I have had the same problem and with the patch to 1.2 they did make some improvements but alas not everyone is happy still. I'd suggest changing your stage preference to Battlefield. I get way more itemless matches this way.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Format - 1v1
Rules - Stock Match
Stock - 3
Time Limit - 7 min
Stage - Battlefield
Items - None

As mentioned a few times, battlefield is the most universally balanced map structure available. FD can be okay but it enables campy strategies in matchups that might otherwise be more engaging. In my experience, battlefields platforms offer a strangely satisfying way to platform camp out a large portion of the degenerate strategies that are common in quick play.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
There really shouldn't be a debate or even any data entry on this subject. Run 1v1, 3 stock, no items, battlefield, with 7 minutes...or you're a person that is actively choosing to ruin any number of people's matches by using an inferior ruleset. The only exception would be a person who prefers omega, that's not too big of a deal.

Last edited:

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
Yeah I also go with:

Format - 1v1
Rules - Stock Match
Stock - 3
Time Limit - 7 min
Stage - Omega Stages
Items - None

I get plenty of 2 stock and or battlefeild matches - which is fine.

I have to admit I get triggered losing a random match with items or a trolly hazard stage and losing a fair bit of gsp from it. Thankfully, it is getting a bit less as time goes on.

For glory was not perfect but this is pretty terrible at the start.

Imluu

Smash Rookie
Battlefield stages are fine.

Format - 1v1
Rules - Stock Match
Stock - 3
Time Limit - 7 min
Stage - Omega Stages
Items - None

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
I kinda figured but 1, your complaint doesn't need its own thread as there's already a billion threads with people complaining about online, and 2, this data set could well be the solution to your problem albeit it'll take some time.

For your personal issue though I have had the same problem and with the patch to 1.2 they did make some improvements but alas not everyone is happy still. I'd suggest changing your stage preference to Battlefield. I get way more itemless matches this way.
battlefield forms doesn't evade the issue at hand. after days of testing, i can safely conclude that the effect on matchmaking because of this switch is minimal to nonexistent. i'm still frequently playing free for alls, playing timed battles, seeing items, and playing on janky stages. on average, only one out of ten battles i play online are somewhat competitively viable. the only thing your recommended change did to my games is make me lose more of those few battles that are actually competitively viable, but that's more of an issue with me, my main, and how i play him.

the issue persists even in 1.2.1, and i'm stuck at 500k gsp as a result. i am unable to know how good i actually am in this game.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm not sure what to tell you.... Quickplay is a mode that requires specific skill to navigate. It forces one to be better at the mode itself than the competitive scene. Battle Arenas may be better for you.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
battlefield forms doesn't evade the issue at hand. after days of testing, i can safely conclude that the effect on matchmaking because of this switch is minimal to nonexistent. i'm still frequently playing free for alls, playing timed battles, seeing items, and playing on janky stages. on average, only one out of ten battles i play online are somewhat competitively viable. the only thing your recommended change did to my games is make me lose more of those few battles that are actually competitively viable, but that's more of an issue with me, my main, and how i play him.

the issue persists even in 1.2.1, and i'm stuck at 500k gsp as a result. i am unable to know how good i actually am in this game.
Unfortunately, you're in what is essentially the "ELO hell" of Smash Ultimate.

Until you claw your way above 2 million GSP, or even better, in to elite, you're going to be faced with a very high likelihood of getting non-competitive rule-sets as the pool of players that you are queueing with at that GSP would not be deemed majority competitive.

Unfortunately the best solution is to legitimately adapt to those rule-sets. In FFA do everything you can to just not be last so you don't lose GSP and win your 1v1s, rematch when possible to rake in as much GSP as you can from a player you think you can beat multiple times, don't rematch the ones who you have no chance of taking out.

It sounds kinda sad, right? Which is why you you're probably better off just going to glorious battle arenas...at this point you're trying to play the system for ranking points instead of legitimately trying to improve. If you want a true legitimate path to figuring out where you are...go to your local scenes weekly...or try to nail a huge win streak in arenas.

There are some legitimately scary players who make arenas with the intention of staying king of the hill in the face of all who oppose them, you'll find some serious challenges there...highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, you're in what is essentially the "ELO hell" of Smash Ultimate.

Until you claw your way above 2 million GSP, or even better, in to elite, you're going to be faced with a very high likelihood of getting non-competitive rule-sets as the pool of players that you are queueing with at that GSP would not be deemed majority competitive.

Unfortunately the best solution is to legitimately adapt to those rule-sets. In FFA do everything you can to just not be last so you don't lose GSP and win your 1v1s, rematch when possible to rake in as much GSP as you can from a player you think you can beat multiple times, don't rematch the ones who you have no chance of taking out.
so because i lost my first few battles in quick play, i'm doomed to never be able to play the way i want even if that's the competitive standard? i just don't know what to do anymore. prior to this janky matchmaking process, it has been over a decade since i last played a game with items or on stages not tournament legal, and asking me to dive into casual smash after years of muscle memory and play style development around competitive smash is a lot to ask.
It sounds kinda sad, right? Which is why you you're probably better off just going to glorious battle arenas...at this point you're trying to play the system for ranking points instead of legitimately trying to improve. If you want a true legitimate path to figuring out where you are...go to your local scenes weekly...or try to nail a huge win streak in arenas.

There are some legitimately scary players who make arenas with the intention of staying king of the hill in the face of all who oppose them, you'll find some serious challenges there...highly recommend it.
i think i'm fairly decent at this game, but i'm not super good. a lot of the opponents i face in arenas are too high of skill for me. they're the ones that look like they could crush the winners of locals near me. i am 99% confident that i fall somewhere between being a noob and being a champion. people of my skill range are ones i want to be paired with, but neither arena or quick play can supply it for me.

i would like to go out and attend tournaments near me, but smash melee is still the popular option by far in the town i live in, so locals of smash ultimate are uncommon. it's not impossible to find one, it's just harder than most areas.

Last edited:

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
so because i lost my first few battles in quick play, i'm doomed to never be able to play the way i want even if that's the competitive standard? i just don't know what to do anymore. prior to this janky matchmaking process, it has been over a decade since i last played a game with items or on stages not tournament legal, and asking me to dive into casual smash after years of muscle memory and play style development around competitive smash is a lot to ask.

i think i'm fairly decent at this game, but i'm not super good. a lot of the opponents i face in arenas are too high of skill for me. they're the ones that look like they could crush the winners of locals near me. i am 99% confident that i fall somewhere between being a noob and being a champion. people of my skill range are ones i want to be paired with, but neither arena or quick play can supply it for me.

i would like to go out and attend tournaments near me, but smash melee is still the popular option by far in the town i live in, so locals of smash ultimate are uncommon. it's not impossible to find one, it's just harder than most areas.
There are skill level choices in arenas...if you don't fancy yourself peak level then don't pick "Glorious", pick the one below it ("Veteran", I think), and if that's still too hard, go even lower.

You have options for fighting players your level, that aren't going to be any worse than relying on a ridiuclous metric such as GSP to match you with them properly. It's disingenuous to act as though you don't.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
If you're looking to have comeptitive matches in quick play, all that can be said is to adapt to the casual rule sets and plow up GSP to a high enough point. I'm at 2.2 million with Richter, and am doing fine competitively. That might be a point to shoot for.

Perhaps you want to consider resetting your Smash game for another hope for online? It seems like you struggle in casual environments if you're still stuck at 500 thousand GSP. It's not like character unlocks will be an issue. I know you claim to be a Ness main, and he's the first character unlock. You could get back to playing online in less than an hour.
There are skill level choices in arenas...if you don't fancy yourself peak level then don't pick "Glorious", pick the one below it ("Veteran", I think), and if that's still too hard, go even lower.

You have options for fighting players your level, that aren't going to be any worse than relying on a ridiuclous metric such as GSP to match you with them properly. It's disingenuous to act as though you don't.
Look, arenas aren't the friendliest place. People often underestimate or overestimate their own skill when searching for arenas, so it's not uncommon to see noobs facing off against pros in an arena designed for neither of them. It doesn't have a whole lot of matchmaking in place. I tried it as well. It feels better suited for those looking to have fun.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Here's mine:

1v1
Stock match
3 stocks
7 minutes
Battlefield Stages
No items

While it is my preferred method of fighting, I'm down with anything since I ain't no pro by any means.

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Yet another data point.

1v1
Stock match
3 stock
6 minutes
Battlefield stages
No items

I only appear to differ from the average choice on time. I chose 6 minutes originally as a method of hedging bets on how matchmaking works (hoping the matchmaking considers a small time difference more acceptable than a difference on items, etc.). I've found it useful now though because the game appears to go all or nothing on one player's preferred rules. So if I get a match that is the more common 7 minutes, I can deduce what the other player's preferred rules are. I've also considered switching to Omega stages, if only because Battlefield is so common and I'd prefer a mix of both.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
I’ve had three of the past four matches at around 2,700,000 GSP end up as Stamina matches. Granted they’ve been team matches, but are there really that many people seeking high level stamina play? ****ing infuriating

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman

The other guy is right that you're in a sort of elo hell. The likelyhood of getting trash rulesets is wayyyy higher down there. That being said, you aren't at 500k gsp as a result of the jank rules. It definitely sucks not to be able to play a proper rule set, but you gotta flip that mentality. The players using default rules / whatever weird settings are generally bad and play incredibly predictably. Slow down, identify their habits, determine how you are going to abuse it, and pick them apart. A lot of them have severe deficiencies such as never grabbing, making your shield short hop nair out of shield the easiest punish ever, and so on. You will easily climb out of there if you play defensive and strategical neutral game and just participate in nonsense like the items as it makes sense.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
The other guy is right that you're in a sort of elo hell. The likelyhood of getting trash rulesets is wayyyy higher down there. That being said, you aren't at 500k gsp as a result of the jank rules. It definitely sucks not to be able to play a proper rule set, but you gotta flip that mentality. The players using default rules / whatever weird settings are generally bad and play incredibly predictably. Slow down, identify their habits, determine how you are going to abuse it, and pick them apart. A lot of them have severe deficiencies such as never grabbing, making your shield short hop nair out of shield the easiest punish ever, and so on. You will easily climb out of there if you play defensive and strategical neutral game and just participate in nonsense like the items as it makes sense.
i have said it before on the other thread why these free for alls are jank. with my current strategy, i inflict the most damage, and rarely am i hit, but neither one of those is winning me any timed battles which is roughly 70% of the battles i fight.

what few kill moves i have are unsafe. pk flash? i don't think i even need to explain why that one is a stupid idea. back throw? a third party often hits me out of it leading to me getting no kill. free for alls that aren't 3v1 troll matches often boil down to which fighter is capable of killing the other fighter with the highest percent the fastest. a lot of players pick characters that have high damage output, and at least two people every match don't even know how to dodge or shield. people often die before getting into kill percent for any of my moves besides the ones which are too unsafe in free for alls. i can't just wait out the clock either. it's timed battle. it's based on how many points you can get in a time limit instead of who is the last person to lose all of their lives.

most of my kills are reliant on using close ranged aerials on fighters well over kill percent for everyone else. those involves me to take high risk for a chance at a high reward. it brings me to the other thing. the instant i let my guard down briefly for just a second to try and get a kill, i'm hit with barrages of attacks from all the other players. ness doesn't have great weight for surviving, and he often dies quickly, so being juggled by two players at once both looking for that kill is a nightmare to deal with. it eventually turns into three when the third enemy respawns or recovers. three noobs hungry for the same kill can usually lock off all landing options for one player without even trying or knowing. even if i do manage to land and raise a shield, all three of them are still hungry. punishing one for their noob behavior leads to me getting punished by another for punishing the first one. obviously, i can't just stay in my shield even if they don't know how to grab. it's honestly better to just give up that life right then and there because it guaranteed will not last long. i always end up with zero or negative points in the end which is usually 3rd or 4th place.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Updated OP, looks like we got a good trend going. Hopefully people who are experiencing issues finding decent matches will have better luck by selecting the best ruleset possible.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Great idea keeping the main post updated with a summary! Definitely a project I can get behind.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
i have said it before on the other thread why these free for alls are jank. with my current strategy, i inflict the most damage, and rarely am i hit, but neither one of those is winning me any timed battles which is roughly 70% of the battles i fight.

what few kill moves i have are unsafe. pk flash? i don't think i even need to explain why that one is a stupid idea. back throw? a third party often hits me out of it leading to me getting no kill. free for alls that aren't 3v1 troll matches often boil down to which fighter is capable of killing the other fighter with the highest percent the fastest. a lot of players pick characters that have high damage output, and at least two people every match don't even know how to dodge or shield. people often die before getting into kill percent for any of my moves besides the ones which are too unsafe in free for alls. i can't just wait out the clock either. it's timed battle. it's based on how many points you can get in a time limit instead of who is the last person to lose all of their lives.

most of my kills are reliant on using close ranged aerials on fighters well over kill percent for everyone else. those involves me to take high risk for a chance at a high reward. it brings me to the other thing. the instant i let my guard down briefly for just a second to try and get a kill, i'm hit with barrages of attacks from all the other players. ness doesn't have great weight for surviving, and he often dies quickly, so being juggled by two players at once both looking for that kill is a nightmare to deal with. it eventually turns into three when the third enemy respawns or recovers. three noobs hungry for the same kill can usually lock off all landing options for one player without even trying or knowing. even if i do manage to land and raise a shield, all three of them are still hungry. punishing one for their noob behavior leads to me getting punished by another for punishing the first one. obviously, i can't just stay in my shield even if they don't know how to grab. it's honestly better to just give up that life right then and there because it guaranteed will not last long. i always end up with zero or negative points in the end which is usually 3rd or 4th place.
Maybe something to test out, but after I raised my GSP to a certain level with my main, and all the characters I haven't touched are sitting at a GSP that's an average of my highest and lowest characters. And is still pretty high - above 2.3 million. Maybe try quickplay with some other characters that clean house in FFA (read: ganondorf, little mac) and see if you can raise your roster GSP. I don't know if that would have any effect on your main's GSP as well, but it's worth a shot.

On another note, I got my first few unintentional FFA matches for the first time since 1.2 dropped yesterday, after dropping a couple hundred thousand GSP trying to practice against someone who kept beating me. And this was still at the 2.6-ish million range. They're starting to creep their way up the ladder.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Format - 1v1
Rules - Stock Match
Stock - 3
Time Limit - 7 min
Items - None

so because i lost my first few battles in quick play, i'm doomed to never be able to play the way i want even if that's the competitive standard?
Try switching to Battlefields instead of Omegas, that might help.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
Try switching to Battlefields instead of Omegas, that might help.
been there, done that. unfortunately there were either no changes in how often i saw my preferred rules or those changes were unnoticeable on a larger scale. i never actually took a sample size with battlefield versions as part of my preferred rules, but just based on a brief experience, i can only imagine they would be somewhat the same as the ones i took with final destination.
Maybe something to test out, but after I raised my GSP to a certain level with my main, and all the characters I haven't touched are sitting at a GSP that's an average of my highest and lowest characters. And is still pretty high - above 2.3 million. Maybe try quickplay with some other characters that clean house in FFA (read: ganondorf, little mac) and see if you can raise your roster GSP. I don't know if that would have any effect on your main's GSP as well, but it's worth a shot.
small issue with that. i only have nine fighters unlocked. the original eight, and ness. the character and stage select screens when 100% filled up give me literal headaches to look at, so i wanted to minimize the time i had to look at them, and deliberately not unlocking other fighters was how i went about it. i won't go into further detail.

besides, as far as i know, gsps are strictly based on skill with a fighter. my experience with ness has not affected my gsp with link which is still sitting miles higher than ness right now, it only seems to affect the other seven fighters i have unlocked and never used in quick play.
On another note, I got my first few unintentional FFA matches for the first time since 1.2 dropped yesterday, after dropping a couple hundred thousand GSP trying to practice against someone who kept beating me. And this was still at the 2.6-ish million range. They're starting to creep their way up the ladder.
since i last posted, i have noticed a slight rise above 500k to 600k, but i also noticed even more free for alls showing up, so i can see why. i bet it's the result of player inflation which would inflate the gsp numbers.

Last edited:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
been there, done that. unfortunately there were either no changes in how often i saw my preferred rules or those changes were unnoticeable on a larger scale. i never actually took a sample size with battlefield versions as part of my preferred rules, but just based on a brief experience, i can only imagine they would be somewhat the same as the ones i took with final destination.

small issue with that. i only have nine fighters unlocked. the original eight, and ness. the character and stage select screens when 100% filled up give me literal headaches to look at, so i wanted to minimize the time i had to look at them, and deliberately not unlocking other fighters was how i went about it. i won't go into further detail.

besides, as far as i know, gsps are strictly based on skill with a fighter. my experience with ness has not affected my gsp with link which is still sitting miles higher than ness right now, it only seems to affect the other seven fighters i have unlocked and never used in quick play.

since i last posted, i have noticed a slight rise above 500k to 600k, but i also noticed even more free for alls showing up, so i can see why. i bet it's the result of player inflation which would inflate the gsp numbers.
You might be hurting yourself by not having all of the characters unlocked. This is Nintendo online logic so it is absolute and utter trash. For all we know, the game considers you to be a noob until you unlock everything.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I know you don't want to go into detail. But memorizing the location of your main is usually pretty easy once you get used to going to the same spot after all the characters are unlocked. Ness is even in the top row. I'm feeling like not having the characters unlocked is harming your online experience in a way.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
You might be hurting yourself by not having all of the characters unlocked. This is Nintendo online logic so it is absolute and utter trash. For all we know, the game considers you to be a noob until you unlock everything.
I know you don't want to go into detail. But memorizing the location of your main is usually pretty easy once you get used to going to the same spot after all the characters are unlocked. Ness is even in the top row. I'm feeling like not having the characters unlocked is harming your online experience in a way.
i doubt that's the case. if it was, link would be in the same spot. me playing with him actually gets me competitively viable matchups. ness is the only fighter i have this issue with, and he is my main. if that was the case, wouldn't the game do that with everyone i utilize? everything that has lead up to this point including the continuous seeking of help online has lead me to believe it's a gsp problem.

also, if you want more info or would like to discuss why i choose to only have nine fighters unlocked, i can link you to a thread about that topic. honestly, i kind of forgot about that thread myself too, but i don't want to have that conversation here unless it proves to be without a doubt the issue why i am experiencing s***ty match ups with ness in quick play.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
i doubt that's the case. if it was, link would be in the same spot. me playing with him actually gets me competitively viable matchups. ness is the only fighter i have this issue with, and he is my main. if that was the case, wouldn't the game do that with everyone i utilize? everything that has lead up to this point including the continuous seeking of help online has lead me to believe it's a gsp problem.

also, if you want more info or would like to discuss why i choose to only have nine fighters unlocked, i can link you to a thread about that topic. honestly, i kind of forgot about that thread myself too, but i don't want to have that conversation here unless it proves to be without a doubt the issue why i am experiencing s***ty match ups with ness in quick play.
Wait this only happens when you use Ness? That makes no sense... I also don't see why you specifically have this issue when there's tons of Ness players throughout all levels including up to and surpassing the Elite threshold. Surely you've run in to some yourself? Can you not mimic what they do? I know you originally eschewed the Get Gud mentality but at this point I think it's safe to say you can either adapt to Quickplay experience and improve or just accept you're stuck with failing at it.

For instance I like to use power hitters like Ganon and Ike. I'm also very aggressive. In quickplay this almost always backfires because projectile and zoning characters can literally force me into disadvantage. So to adapt I've had to develop a defensive play style.

Items is whatever. Anyone can win with minimal effort because it's really just luck of the draw. So I don't even think about those matches. If I win yay but if not I don't rematch.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman

its definitely the GSP that is directly resulting in your issue. It match makes you based on the individual character GSP and once you get low enough, you start running into players that use the default or stupid rule sets. Just a product of players not using competitive rule sets also being less skilled. At the end of the day, its trash design by Nintendo. GSP is trash and not being able to at least demand battlefield omega stock battles is even bigger trash. Not sure if its possible, but wiping your save data and getting a fresh start on Ness might buy you another chance to avoid the grind out of low GSP. Otherwise, you just need to grind and win streak it out of there. Can also just wait until Nintendo improves the system, which I think is pretty likely since its so despised and they already patched it once.

Last edited:

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
its definitely the GSP that is directly resulting in your issue. It match makes you based on the individual character GSP and once you get low enough, you start running into players that use the default or stupid rule sets. Just a product of players not using competitive rule sets also being less skilled. At the end of the day, its trash design by Nintendo. GSP is trash and not being able to at least demand battlefield omega stock battles is even bigger trash. Not sure if its possible, but wiping your save data and getting a fresh start on Ness might buy you another chance to avoid the grind out of low GSP. Otherwise, you just need to grind and win streak it out of there. Can also just wait until Nintendo improves the system, which I think is pretty likely since its so despised and they already patched it once.
i might just try this at this point, i got the recommendation already, but i only wanted to use it as a last resort option, and now i think i need a last resort option because nothing else is working. at least i'm not bound to character unlocks in any significant way, but seeing all those new challenger alerts and committing suicide each time will get annoying again.

wish me luck. this is probably going to take all day.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
1v1, 3 stock, 5 min, usually omega only but sometimes battlefield, no items

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
i know its a very late response. i haven't been able to actually play for like six days because school work is hurting my free time, but i got around to playing online today for the first time since i made my new switch profile. exact same setup as before. i unlocked ness, set my preferred rules, and went straight to online. the system had started me out in the online casual s***hole. i had no chance to get better and i ultimately got stuck around 600k gsp. probably higher due to more players and not because i'm doing better in casual smash.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm at 3.17 mil gsp and still get ffa item matches. I'd switch to 1v1 but I prefer team battle. Getting a higher GSP won't guarantee anything so being at that *level is frankly irrelevant. What IS important is that you enjoy playing. Take what style you want, vs what's available, and find the next best thing. If that subsequent experience doesn't illicit enough pleasure then sell your copy and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom