Data Preferred Rules

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The item FFAers are creeping their way up the GSP ladder, and I think a lot of the 1v1ers are losing steam now that the honeymoon phase is over. So now I get tons of item matches looking for 1v1 no items. It's to the point where I start every session with at least one item battle. Usually afterward I will get some meaningful 1v1s in, but the takeover is happening.

Sucumbio

Smash Powerslave
...under your bed, in your closet, in your head.
The item FFAers are creeping their way up the GSP ladder, and I think a lot of the 1v1ers are losing steam now that the honeymoon phase is over. So now I get tons of item matches looking for 1v1 no items. It's to the point where I start every session with at least one item battle. Usually afterward I will get some meaningful 1v1s in, but the takeover is happening.
And it's affecting standings on many people. Whenever I get a steady stream of no item bf/fd teams with a good player to partner that character goes to Elite and usually when that threshold is breached all 3 players drop. It's happened 4 times total since launch. One of those characters is still in Elite because I don't use them and in the meantime I keep logging in racking up huge battle counts with the same 5 characters with anywhere from 49 to 60 percent win rate last 10 or 50. Just gotta keep logging in waiting for that streak lol

mangojuice

Smash Rookie
There are some battlefield stages with vertical dividers in the middle that completely disrupts the flow of the game. is there anyway to ban those in some sort of setting? Also I asked in another thread, whether or not it's possible to gete 0 GSP. The reason being that I try and play people better than me so I'm constantly losing. lol. I tend to drop from games where I know I can win everytime.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
There are some battlefield stages with vertical dividers in the middle that completely disrupts the flow of the game. is there anyway to ban those in some sort of setting? Also I asked in another thread, whether or not it's possible to gete 0 GSP. The reason being that I try and play people better than me so I'm constantly losing. lol. I tend to drop from games where I know I can win everytime.
What? Vertical dividers? What do you mean and what stages?

And you can get to 1GSP, multiple people on YouTube have done so intentionally. 0 isn’t possible AFAIK

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Got the same problem.
I'm not in Elite Smash but I played for a bit yesterday and out of 6 matches, 2 were with items and 2 were on random stages (no Battlefield nor Omega). This is around 2 million GSP (standing most of the time between 2 and 3 million)

I feel like the more people are going to join the game online, the more this problem is going to be a thing.

Honestly, I dropped the game after that, this is just not fun to not being able to play the way I want. They really need to do something about that.
And since I'm not having fun I keep losing, I can't focus on it and kinda mentally give up as soon as the match starts.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Venom I think it's called. It's a plane. There's a wing in the middle the stage requiring you to jump over it.
That’s not a triplat stage, though. It’s more of a quadplat without a main floor. And a big chunk of solid ship taking up the space between the platforms. And all the platforms are slanted. It's kind of annoying to play on, to be honest.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Got the same problem.
I'm not in Elite Smash but I played for a bit yesterday and out of 6 matches, 2 were with items and 2 were on random stages (no Battlefield nor Omega). This is around 2 million GSP (standing most of the time between 2 and 3 million)

I feel like the more people are going to join the game online, the more this problem is going to be a thing.

Honestly, I dropped the game after that, this is just not fun to not being able to play the way I want. They really need to do something about that.
And since I'm not having fun I keep losing, I can't focus on it and kinda mentally give up as soon as the match starts.
Glorious arenas are calling your name, then. That’s where I spend a majority of my time online now. Mostly elite smash level players who care about lag and tune their connection to be as good as possible. And no punishment for losing except maybe needing to wait in line.

Venom I think it's called. It's a plane. There's a wing in the middle the stage requiring you to jump over it.
That’s not the battlefield version then, that’s the standard version dude

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Got the same problem.

I've been playing in the 1.5-2.5 mil GSP range and I'm still getting at least 90% 1v1, no items, BF or omega only.

mangojuice

Smash Rookie
Glorious arenas are calling your name, then. That’s where I spend a majority of my time online now. Mostly elite smash level players who care about lag and tune their connection to be as good as possible. And no punishment for losing except maybe needing to wait in line.

That’s not the battlefield version then, that’s the standard version dude
Hooray for quick match then. lol.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
one would think that a long time of inactivity would surely mean my problem was solved. one would think wrongly.

i took a break from smash brothers, and came back to the same old problem if being put in noncompetitive matches more than 90% of the time despite the fact that my preferred rules specifically request otherwise. it is not fun by any means. this game's online is complete crap.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Apprentice
i am at a point that i don't wanna play 1v1 for awhile on QP.. but i find a way to make sure you can still get out of a room if it ended up being with the amount of players you just don't wanna do, without ruining it for anyone
...before the match even starts and is still on the waiting screen just turn off your switch, turn it on again and just keep repeating this until you get the amount of players you want to play with
i hate that i have to do this..but i don't wanna be forced to play 1v1 for now until i want to myself -.-

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
one would think that a long time of inactivity would surely mean my problem was solved. one would think wrongly.

i took a break from smash brothers, and came back to the same old problem if being put in noncompetitive matches more than 90% of the time despite the fact that my preferred rules specifically request otherwise. it is not fun by any means. this game's online is complete crap.
I don't play quickplay any more unless I'm just bored. When I do, I usually just get mishmashes of my rules and other peoples' rules any time I try, even in Elite Smash. 3 stock 3 minute matches are rampant and I'm sick of timeouts, even when I'm on the favorable side of the timeout.

I'm fairly sure most "serious" online players have moved onto arenas - I know I have. Make or join a public 1v1 arena for 2 players only, so it's only you and whomever decides to join. You're guaranteed to have rules you want and no waiting in line. If the guy lags you just boot him. I tend to find better players here, anyway.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
I'm fairly sure most "serious" online players have moved onto arenas - I know I have. Make or join a public 1v1 arena for 2 players only, so it's only you and whomever decides to join. You're guaranteed to have rules you want and no waiting in line. If the guy lags you just boot him. I tend to find better players here, anyway.
i have mentioned it before, and it still seems to hold true.

i'm probably not the first one to admit this, but i'm not the best at this game. my desires are to face people of my skill level, but this mode much like quick play doesn't provide this. arenas almost always play out the same way. one party wins without dying even once. this applies to veteran players and glorious smashers at least in my experience, and the chances of me being the winner in glorious smashers are less than 10% lower than veteran players. it's that random, and it feels more like a coin flip.

granted, i have gotten better over time and probably worse since i have gone a while without playing, but this mode just isn't fun for me.
When I do, I usually just get mishmashes of my rules and other peoples' rules any time I try, even in Elite Smash. 3 stock 3 minute matches are rampant and I'm sick of timeouts, even when I'm on the favorable side of the timeout.
way to brag about it.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
So basically no online modes are fun for you then. You could try one of the other arena types, All Skill Levels or Anything Goes, but I've never joined one of those to tell you what they're like. I imagine it would be better to create the lobby than join another.

Dunno what else to tell you though. Maybe join some smash discords, lots of them generally have their own matchmaking.

TheDuke54

Smash Apprentice
i am at a point that i don't wanna play 1v1 for awhile on QP.. but i find a way to make sure you can still get out of a room if it ended up being with the amount of players you just don't wanna do, without ruining it for anyone
...before the match even starts and is still on the waiting screen just turn off your switch, turn it on again and just keep repeating this until you get the amount of players you want to play with
i hate that i have to do this..but i don't wanna be forced to play 1v1 for now until i want to myself -.-
That's considered a rage-quit though. I did that once before the match even started and I was stuck in the white waiting zone. I can't remember what I had for my rules, but I realized it wasn't going to give it to me and it was taking forever to find the match I wanted. I was tired of waiting. You can kind of tell when the match is read (or the server gave up and stuck you in something else) through different sounds the game will make. Wasn't doing any of those cues, so I just turned off the system.

And I got a 20 minute penalty the next time I booted up the game to play.

Coolboy

Smash Apprentice
That's considered a rage-quit though. I did that once before the match even started and I was stuck in the white waiting zone. I can't remember what I had for my rules, but I realized it wasn't going to give it to me and it was taking forever to find the match I wanted. I was tired of waiting. You can kind of tell when the match is read (or the server gave up and stuck you in something else) through different sounds the game will make. Wasn't doing any of those cues, so I just turned off the system.

And I got a 20 minute penalty the next time I booted up the game to play.
i did this multiple times now and so far the game has counted it as me leaving the lobby, cause i got no warning/bans nor GSP loss with the character i picked, it's risky i know cause if i time it wrong the game might see it as rage quit. but if i know i am to late with turning it off then i will just play the match ^^''
so far i got no problems..i just wished i didn't had to do this but sadly the game keeps trying to put me in 1v1 matches even though atm it's just not what i want to play.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I use:
⁃ 7 Minutes
⁃ 3 Stocks
⁃ 1v1
⁃ No Items
⁃ Final Destination
Fox R.O.B. only

ExplicitNope

Smash Rookie
Hi!
My preferred rules:
Format: 1v1
Rules: Stock
Stock: 3
Time: 7:00
Stage: Omega
Items: None

However, the ******* fox I met online was using THESE:
Format: 1v1
Rules: Stock, HP
Stock: 3 stock, 300HP
Time: 3:00
Stage: Battlefield
Items: Extreme, with only the +1 stock flag.
This fox was intentionally avoiding me for 3 minutes until DM, where he just used a neutral-b and won. Yay.
I was playing Wolf at ****ing 1.7 mil GSP. The fox was at 2 mil. A fox, playing HP battles with items, is higher than me. I love online.

1FC0

Smash Lord
This fox was intentionally avoiding me for 3 minutes until DM, where he just used a neutral-b and won. Yay.
I was playing Wolf at ****ing 1.7 mil GSP. The fox was at 2 mil. A fox, playing HP battles with items, is higher than me. I love online.
I do not know how long ago this was but today 2 mil is extremely low. Above 4.2 mil (which is very easy to get to now) such strange rulesets are very rare.

TheDuke54

Smash Apprentice
I just ran into a battle so similar to that dude. It was Captain Falcon and items on high, stamina 300 HP 3 stock. It was free for all. I noticed what he was trying to do, but the other two were so clueless they didn't bother with him and attacked me when I was trying to stock him from getting extra stocks. He won of course.