• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predicting Updates with Amiibo

amiibopredictsdlc.jpg

Amiibo researchers are almost certain that the next DLC update will come before the Dark Samus and Richter amiibo release on January 17th. Why? Because they require a patch to function. Let's shed some light on the subject!

At Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's launch, all existing Smash amiibo figures were compatible with the game through their respective series' amiibo. Newcomers to Ultimate sometimes did not have existing amiibo compatibility, such as Dark Samus. To remedy this, Nintendo patches the compatibility into the game alongside content updates prior to that amiibo’s release. Update 2.0 added Piranha Plant, King K. Rool and Ice Climbers amiibo compatibility into the game, and update 6.0 made Simon Belmont and Incineroar compatible. Nearly every update has occurred less than two weeks before the amiibo’s release, with the only exception being the 3.0 update.

Nintendo does this to ensure that by the time the amiibo hit shelves, they'll be functioning properly in Ultimate. This also means something else: an update must precede every amiibo release. Every single time a new amiibo comes out, a patch always drops at some point beforehand that includes DLC. Knowing that Dark Samus and Richter have no amiibo functionality in the game (An explanation of how we learned that can be found here), then we should expect a patch of some kind (not necessarily DLC) by January 17th.

January 7th edit: This prediction was indeed correct! Update 6.1.1 patched in Dark Samus and Richter, but nothing else. This is the only time that an amiibo's compatibility has been added to the game without other content being included as well.

Last edited:
Amiibo Doctor

Comments

I'm still waiting on an announcement on dlc amiibo... And of course I'm still waiting for Vergeben to de-confirm more characters, as long as nintendo hasn't gotten him yet

D
Really hyped to get the Dark Samus amiibo as a huge Metroid fan.

Looking forward to the Dragon Quest amiibo too.

The deadline for the Fighter Pass is in February, so they'll soon run out of chances to finish and release the next character by then. It's all or nothing.

I was wondering if they were in the game or not yet. Thanks.

Now how do updates work in regards to new Spirits? I'm surprised the RE ones weren't leaked.

Last edited:
Okay, Doc, if we’re going by the two-week gap you’ve provided, than we should see Fighter #5 by January 3rd at the earliest if releasing before like most of the DLC characters, but then there’s Joker, who released after an amiibo wave, so if that was the case, that adds January 31st at the latest. With this in mind, I got myself a little pumped now. We need a new Direct soon, dang it!

Last edited:
Okay, Doc, if we’re going by the two-week gap you’ve provided, than we should see Fighter #5 by January 3rd at the earliest if releasing before like most of the DLC characters, but then there’s Joker, who released after an amiibo wave, so if that was the case, that adds January 31st at the latest. With this in mind, I got myself a little pumped now. We need a new Direct soon, dang it!
combining this info with my current amended amiibo theory which is a DLC character comes out the same month as an Amiibo wave (can be before the Amiibo wave like Banjo and Terry or after the wave like Joker and Hero) FP5 quite possibly will come out before the month's over. Not set in stone but January is looking pretty good for FP5.

As far as Joker, that update actually included Pichu, who released nearly three months later. Technically every .0 or shortly-after .0.1 update has included amiibo functionality, 3.0's just weird because they had to plan for his release sooo far ahead of time.

Last edited:
Really hyped to get the Dark Samus amiibo as a huge Metroid fan.

Looking forward to the Dragon Quest amiibo too.
Saaaaaame! The amiibo hackers are expecting Hero to possibly be a top-tier amiibo contender because he can use the menu frame perfect. The AI knows what each move is the frame it opens the menu, and can select a move within a few frames. That alone is enough to seriously mess with a lot of the amiibo meta.

D
Hope we get news soon I do expect a Direct this month. And character #5 maybe even post pass announced.

But evenI don’t know. When it could be obviously the Amiibo for Richter and Dark Samus will follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom