• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predict a top tier and bottom tier!

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
Yall ******** Link has Melee Nair and Up B back, and actually looks faster overall and has slightly more upb range, learn to analyze

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Link is already pretty powerful and most of his sword moves deal good damage and don't lag too much. They need only increase knockback scaling for his power moves a bit and he would become pretty lethal. +5% damage is not really a slight change, as it would make him deal way too much damage.

Non-Link enthusiasts only get a glimpse of what Link can do. I actually consider Link one of the harder characters to master due to his arsenal of weapons and techniques. He is, quite literally, ONLY lacking in the recovery department. This glaring weakness causes many to dismiss him as a potentially good character, so they don't really look at the rest of his moves.

eh idk... in Melee, his recovery was fine. He actually had quite a few options with it (albeit he could get gimped pretty easily if the player wasn't smart). He also had fast enough attacks, good priority, good combo-ability, and great range.
He was only really lacking in his movement speed and the fact that he could get combo-ed to oblivion by like every character in the game. I often call him the definition of mid-tier in that game because he had great options against almost every char in the game, but every char had great options against him, so it was a wash.

in 64 and Brawl, his recovery was just trash... if they give him a mediocre recovery, at least, he'll be a really fun character. here's hoping.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
eh idk... in Melee, his recovery was fine. He actually had quite a few options with it (albeit he could get gimped pretty easily if the player wasn't smart). He also had fast enough attacks, good priority, good combo-ability, and great range.
He was only really lacking in his movement speed and the fact that he could get combo-ed to oblivion by like every character in the game. I often call him the definition of mid-tier in that game because he had great options against almost every char in the game, but every char had great options against him, so it was a wash.

in 64 and Brawl, his recovery was just trash... if they give him a mediocre recovery, at least, he'll be a really fun character. here's hoping.
Yeah :ohwell:

He did have the annoyingly useless arrow in Melee, but it was definitely the most powerful incarnation of Link to appear in any Smash game, also the one with the best recovery due to bomb stuff, hence his much higher placement on the list in Melee. This DOES prove that he is able to rank much higher than bottom tier with the right changes. I hope we get a good Link this time around, too. SSB64 boomerang with Melee recovery and semi-spike up+B would be a treat.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Going to guess:

Top tier: Olimar

Bottom tier: VIllager (I love him, but I'm not convinced his gimmicky-ness will help him.)

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I have high hopes for Villager. He seems to have both anti-camping tools (Pocket projectiles and Slingshot), and good stage control. But it's really not easy to tell when we only know a handful of the characters. For all we know, some unannounced character could be a hard counter to a character that currently looks high tier.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
S Tier:
megaman
villager

A Tier
Fox
wii fit trainer
olimar

B Tier
pikachu
pit
kirby
samus

Bottom:
mario
bowser
donkey kong
link

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
S Tier: Villager

No need to say more, every other character on the roster is dead.

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
Megaman looks really solid. As for physics, he looks roughly equal to Mario, so that puts him fairly square in the middle as far as weight. He looks like a good keep away player, but that really will only help him if the metagame remains as Brawl, which no one wants.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Megaman looks like he might be broken. Especially that leaf shield that can be sent in 8 directions. Defense + fast projectile? From the looks of the vids, it also doesn't have very much cooldown. Hopefully he won't be blatantly broken, the new MK of SSB 4.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Top Tier: Pit
Bottom Tier: the rest
Just kidding, I doubt Pit would be top tier.
Maybe WFT could be top and Link is back on the bottom. She doesn't seem to get good range, but has fast attacks and good mobility.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I bet that my character that I know nothing about is better than your character that you know nothing about.

For all we know, every character in this game can chaingrab.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Megaman looks like he might be broken. Especially that leaf shield that can be sent in 8 directions. Defense + fast projectile? From the looks of the vids, it also doesn't have very much cooldown. Hopefully he won't be blatantly broken, the new MK of SSB 4.
Well I can imagine Mega Man having reasonable troubles with guys with decent reflectors like say, Fox (or above average reflectors =D) well I doubt he'll end up as broken as meta knight (and again, balance patches do exist) in spite of his great zoning with his good array of good projectiles he's not overly speedy by any means and if combos come back in this game I can't see mega man having many good options, I mean, if he does an aerial combo he likely won't have that many good ways to set it up and would likely have to rely on his fairs and bairs...

Also wait... Since when was his leaf shield in all eight directions? I thought only his saw blades did that -_-

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
Top S Rank:
Wii Fit Trainer
Megaman
Plusle & Minun
Jigglypuff

High Ranks:
Villager
Meta Knight
Olimar & Pikmin
Arceus
Falco
Marth
Paper Mario
Shantae

Mid Ranks:
Samus
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Yoshi
Mega-Mewtwo
Luigi
Pit
Sonic
Kat & Ana
Mr. Game and Watch
Snake
Cpt. Falcon
Ness
Kirby
Fox
Zero Suit Samus

Lower Mid Ranks:
Zelda
Link
Donkey Kong
Mario
Pokemon Trainer
King Dedede
Lucas

Low Ranks:
Silver
Bowser
Ashley
Pokemon Trainer
Ganondorf

Groose

Smash Champion
Villager seems to have a good selection of tools (pun intended). He seems like the strongest of the newcomers from what we currently know. I'll predict that he'll fall just shy of the top five on the tier list.

Mega Man seems middle of the road. Projectiles are good, but only the Mega Upper looks like it could be a true killing move of what we've seen so far. He'll probably fall directly in the middle of the tier list.

Wii Fit Trainer seems... no, it's just too early to tell.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Villager seems to have a good selection of tools (pun intended). He seems like the strongest of the newcomers from what we currently know. I'll predict that he'll fall just shy of the top five on the tier list.

Mega Man seems middle of the road. Projectiles are good, but only the Mega Upper looks like it could be a true killing move of what we've seen so far. He'll probably fall directly in the middle of the tier list.

Wii Fit Trainer seems... no, it's just too early to tell.
Wii Fit Trainer seems like she'll be reasonably fast but things like killing power and stuff remain to be seen so yeah i hear you there. For mega man yeah I agree but charge shot looks like it could be fairly deadly too :p
Villager seems to have some good moves but I doubt moves like GROWING A FREAKING TREE are going to end up being too useful. When it comes to stuff like tilts aerials and smashes they may have very unique animations but stuff like the umbrella is kind of standard. I am impressed by moves like his shovel and collect though... Does he have enough to put him above mega man and wii fit trainer? Ummm maybe. I actually think Wii Fit Trainer could end up exceeding both characters but Villager and Mega Man seem to be on a similar level though mega man does seem like he has somewhat more obvious problems

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Well I can imagine Mega Man having reasonable troubles with guys with decent reflectors like say, Fox (or above average reflectors =D) well I doubt he'll end up as broken as meta knight (and again, balance patches do exist) in spite of his great zoning with his good array of good projectiles he's not overly speedy by any means and if combos come back in this game I can't see mega man having many good options, I mean, if he does an aerial combo he likely won't have that many good ways to set it up and would likely have to rely on his fairs and bairs...

Also wait... Since when was his leaf shield in all eight directions? I thought only his saw blades did that -_-

Maybe I'm remembering wrong. I thought it was the leaf shield and the blades. Could be wrong, though. And, either way, that leaf shield moves pretty fast AND apparently grants some sort of defensive property. It also has long range. Here's to hoping it won't be too good.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm remembering wrong. I thought it was the leaf shield and the blades. Could be wrong, though. And, either way, that leaf shield moves pretty fast AND apparently grants some sort of defensive property. It also has long range. Here's to hoping it won't be too good.
It's possible that mega man might not be able to move or attack with leaf shield (other than you know... Shooting the leaf shield), that could be a good plus for it's balance. And I'm pretty much positive the leaf shield can only be shot forward.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
It's possible that mega man might not be able to move or attack with leaf shield (other than you know... Shooting the leaf shield), that could be a good plus for it's balance. And I'm pretty much positive the leaf shield can only be shot forward.
Ah, I probably just memorized the properties incorrectly, then.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Megaman's poorest match ups might be against characters who reflect and have a good projectile (Fox, Falco, Pit, etc.).

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Megaman's poorest match ups might be against characters who reflect and have a good projectile (Fox, Falco, Pit, etc.).
I wonder how many of mega man's moves mr. game and watch could bucket, hopefully his leaf shield... But the frying pan isn't a particularly good projectile admittedly... But then again I hardly ever use mr. game and watch's specials. His bucket is only useful in a handful of matchups the frying pan isn't that useful and the hammer is unreliable and hard to land. Well at least his parachute is pretty damn good... But never mind that yeah probably though leaf shield could probably counter good projectiles as well :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I honestly can't understand why people are ranking Villager so high.

He doesn't have anything inherently powerful (that we have seen) or broken. He just strikes me as a mid to low mid character.

Blaziken77

Smash Rookie
Megaman. I can see so many cheap and/or powerful attacks and strategies. Pitfall(if it returns) then Flame Blast or whatever it's called, Crash Bomber someone of the edge then Metal Blade them away, or Hard Knuckle them

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Megaman. I can see so many cheap and/or powerful attacks and strategies. Pitfall(if it returns) then Flame Blast or whatever it's called, Crash Bomber someone of the edge then Metal Blade them away, or Hard Knuckle them
considering the knockback direction of crash bomb the metal blade strategy/hard knuckle probably wouldn't work to well as it appears to send them upwards though to be fair that could be a good set up for some aerial action. Also since items will likely be banned from tournaments that pitfall strategy probably won't affect him competitive wise in any way and mega man doesn't have a move that can cause the same effect like Villager's shovel :p

NJ_Gamer

Smash Rookie
I think Bowser and Samus in her Power Suit are going to be the most improved. I'm hoping Mario too. Mega Man looks God tier. I'm really praying Pit is less easy to spam with but looks doubtfull

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I find it funny that there are people actually taking this topic seriously.

We have absolutely no idea how these characters will pan out. I mean seriously we don't even know the basic mechanics yet.

tarmon2121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tarmon2121
3DS FC
5000-2165-4045
After playing the 3DS demo for about 10 hours (I work at Best Buy) I have come up with a preliminary tier list. Keep in mind this list only has the 20 characters playable in the 3DS demo.

1. Sheik: Has amazing combo potential, specifically with her Bair and Side B. Fast grabs and tilts.

2. Greninja: Basically the same reasons as Sheik. Fast, with a good recovery, and can quickly deal out massive damage.
3. Villager: His down smash sets people up to get some serious damage, especially with F-smash. Has multiple moves to keep characters off stage, and great recovery options.

4. Pikachu: Pikachu seems more like his Melee self than he did in Brawl. He is insanely fast and can deal amazing damage off stage, which is a big deal thanks to the new ledge mechanics.

5. Fox: Like Pikachu, Fox just feels like he did in Melee. But one huge change I the fact that Side B no longer puts you in helpless mode, so you can Up B afterwards.

6. WFT: Unexpectedly, WFT actually has some pretty fast and strong moves. She has a solid projectile game, and Deep Breathing is great for when your opponent is off stage.

7. Luigi: He really hasn’t changed from Brawl, but the new engine for this game really helps him with air combos.

8. Toon Link: Literally the exact same reason as Luigi.

9. Yoshi: Yoshi seems like a great balance of ground and air skills. Why can’t he have a real Up B? :(

10. Sonic: Sorry, I don’t really know anything about Sonic in this game, so I’ll just put him here.

11. Pit: Pit has been buffed like crazy since Brawl. However, his weakened air game makes him a little lower on the list than I would have liked.

12. Samus: I originally had Samus lower on the list, but I have seen that she can be used well since then. The only reason I don’t have her higher is her lack of kill moves other than F-Smash.

13. Kirby still feels pretty average to me. Other than a slightly better aerial game, he just doesn’t feel high tier to me. (Shoutout to H-Box!)

14. Mario: Like Kirby, he’s just bland to me. That’s all I really have to say about him.

15. Mega Man: Oh, how I wish he could have been better. He’s okay in the air, but too many of his moves are guns. F-Tilt and jab should not be projectiles.

16. DK: He has been buffed this game, but Smash has traditionally been cruel to big, heavy, strong characters.

17. Bowser: Unfortunately, he’s in the same boat as DK.

18. Marth: Easily the most nerfed character as of now. He’s slow, has smaller sweetspots on his moves, and his air game is subpar at best.

19. Little Mac: I know it’s up for debate whether he’ll be chilling with Greninja or Zelda. As much as I hate to say it, aerial gameplay is to important for him to be any higher than this.

20. Zelda: At least in Brawl, she could transform into a decent character…

And there you have it. Remember none of this is final, and feel free to tell me what you think should be different.

Top Bottom