• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Praise the Sun! - Solaire of Astora for Smash Switch

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
1) Solaire has an Amiibo
2) DS Remaster was first shown in a Nintendo Direct
3) Oddyssey has some references to the DS series
4) Namco develops the game

I think Solaire is very likely to be anounced during the E3 presentation.
What references are there in Odyssey? I saw this meme screenshot of an Odyssey area with "Anor Londo" on top of it, but it looked nothing like Anor Londo.

Would be a great moment for Solaire to find his own sun in the Smash series. If they have a character to announce at E3, I would be surprised if it isn't a popular new third party rep, anyways. Though I am still doubtful, even if I am the one who created the thread. Smash 4 trauma, I suppose. :033:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
What references are there in Odyssey? I saw this meme screenshot of an Odyssey area with "Anor Londo" on top of it, but it looked nothing like Anor Londo.

Would be a great moment for Solaire to find his own sun in the Smash series. If they have a character to announce at E3, I would be surprised if it isn't a popular new third party rep, anyways. Though I am still doubtful, even if I am the one who created the thread. Smash 4 trauma, I suppose. :033:
I wouldn't like to make spoilers ;) But anyway, I think there are some references. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I do not think it is a coincidence that Odyssey had this while Namco was negotiating with Nintendo things like Dark Souls Remastered and Solaire's amiibo. And also, Namco is the game developer of Smash.

Another interesting fact: Capcom and Sega have 2 reps each. Capcom has both Mega Man and Ryu, while Sega has both Sonic and Bayonetta. Namco, who developed Smash 4 and is developing the new title in the series (whether it is a port or a new game) only got Pac-Man. I wouldn't be very surprised if Namco hadn't another rep for the new game.

And honestly, I don't think of any other Namco character that fits better.

Reila

Spoiler tags exist for that reason. I am also not interested in the game, plus spoilers of games with little to no story are irrelevant. But sure, have it your way.

True, if Namco is helping in the development of Smash Switch like they helped in Smash 4, another Namco rep is not an unlikely possibility.

Reila

Dark Souls doesn't have a mascot. Nothing at all. Solaire just happens to stand out as the most popular character. Hence the amiibo.

Reila

Gotcha. I was just curious, since I didn't know what made him so popular. It's just his personality, then?
Pretty much. He is a bit weird (in a good way) as you can notice by the quote in the first post, but as long as you don't mess up his quest line, Solaire is friendly to you the whole game... In a game filled with hostile creatures. That is what earned him the name "Sun Bro".

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
So few comments? Lemme fix this. (Also, mine was shut down because the mods are big jerks.)

We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land.
The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.

Lordran is a bleak and dismal land. The gods have left. The living are few. And the Hollows, those Undead who have lost all hope, wander seeking fresh souls. And yet, even in this Darkness, Solaire stands a symbol of hope, an unyielding companion whose presence has helped many in their Journeys, from the Bell of Awakening to the heights of Anor Londo, to even the Kiln of the First Flame itself, where it all began and it shall all end.

Also, he is a meme.

Solaire's famous "Y-pose" gesture, the same one his Amiibo is in, is well known amongst the Dark Souls Community. It is the official gesture of the Warriors of Sunlight, a "Covenant" in the game focused on co-operative multiplayer gameplay. Warriors of Sunlight leave special marks on the map using a White sign Soapstone, through which they can be summoned to aid other players in their quest in the form of a golden phantom. The community has dubbed these phantoms as well as members of the Covenant in general, as "Sunbros".

Solaire's potential kit, seems rather self-evident to be honest. His heavy iron armor and thick, non-anime build, make him a clear heavyweight, somewhere around 120~ in Smash 4 metrics, edging out Snake for the title of heaviest human. (I mean look at the guy. His outfit just looks heavy). He packs a medley of powerful defensive options, his sunlight shield could block projectiles and parry attacks, leading to a devastating counterattack, and his experience in rolling through attacks is second to none. Combine that with his access to a projectile, and he'd be the ultimate cancer.

Neutral Special Attack: Lightning Spear
Solaire's neutral special has him pull out a bolt of golden lightning and hurl it at his enemies. This attack can be charged up by up to two stages, first becoming the Great Lightning Spear, with piercing properties, then the instanteous Sunlight Spear. (The Sunlight spear is not actually instantaneous in Dark Souls, but it's also not something you have to charge up. I figured there should be some payoff for such a long-charge attack).

A miracle that launches a spear of lightning.
Said to be the legacy of an ancient clan whose leader was revered as the God of Sun.
The name of the clan has been lost to time, but the gross incandescence of our magnificent father shall never wane.
Custom Move 1: Lightning Stake
Instead of throwing the spear, Solaire slams it down, creating a large, powerful explosion. Basically it's Ike's Eruption.

A lost dragonslaying miracle.
Strikes with a stake of lightning.
This tale describes the lost practices of ancient dragonslayers, who found that in order to pierce dragonscale, lightning should not be hurled as a bolt, but rather be thrust as a stake directly into the dragon's hide, to be truly effective.

Custom move 2: Lightning Ball
Solaire throws an orb of lightning into the sky, where it steadily moves forwards, firing off bolts of lightning every few seconds. The size and power of the attack is increased by charging. In Dark Souls, this was a miracle known as "Blinding Bolt", but given it's nonindicative name, I figured a more typical one might help.

A miracle that creates a giant soul mass and transforms it into a lightning-spouting orb of light.
Crafted in ancient times by the God of Sun, but later forbidden by the same deity. Was it to protect the world from hatred, or sorrow?

Side Special Attack: Sunlight Blade
Solaire's side special is another charged move. This one has him imbue his sword with lightning, causing it to deal more damage and paralyze enemies for a short duration on every hit. This is important because of Solaire's clunky normals and relatively poor combos. With the extended openings after each attack Sunlight Blade provides, Solaire has access to a number of combos he would not have otherwise, including most of his kill options. The longer he continues to charge his side special, the longer the buff lasts afterwards.

Miracle wielded by Lord Gwyn's firstborn. Boost right weapon with rays of Sun.
The power of sunlight, manifested as lightning, is very effective against dragons.
When the eldest son was stripped of his deific status, he left this on his father's coffin, perhaps as a final farewell.
Custom Move 1: Gold Pine Resin Bundle
A much faster, but weaker and shorter-lived version of Sunlight blade. This version cannot be charged.

Rare pine resin which emits golden sparks.
Collected in a small bundle.

Quickly applies lightning to right-hand weapon.

Does not last for long, but can be used in inventive ways, such as applying it in the middle of a series of blows.
Custom Move 2: Sacred Oath
Does not provide the Paralyze effect, but instead increases Solaire's defense and knockback resistance, a key advantage when combined with his poise mechanic.

Miracle of those chosen by the Sunlight covenant.
Temporarily boosts attack and damage absorption for self and those in the vicinity.
This is the tale of the Sun's firstborn, his faithful first knight, and the brave dragonslayer who served them both.
Up Special Attack: White Sign Soapstone
Marks the ground with a white sign, then teleport to it in a flash of light on second activation. Smash activate it while on the ground to replace an already-existing soapstone with a new one.

Online play item. Leave summon sign. Be summoned to another world as a phantom through your sign, and defeat the area boss to acquire humanity. (Hollows cannot conduct summons)

In Lordran, the flow of time is distorted, and the White Sign Soapstone allows Undead to assist one another.

Custom Move 1: Red Sign Soapstone
Marks the ground with a red mark. Multiple marks can be active at once. Reactivate when an enemy is near a mark to teleport to it in a flash of light. Somewhat unreliable as a recovery option, but can be used more aggressively.

Online play item. Leaves invasion sign. (Hollows cannot use the item)
Be summoned to another world as a dark spirit, and defeat the summoner to acquire humanity.
Certain Darkwraiths resist their descent into dark and persevere along the honorable path. The Red Soapstone is for them.
Custom Move 2: Homeward
A more traditional teleport. Does not have a flash of light on arrival. Otherwise similar to most teleportation recoveries.

Great miracle cast by advance clerics. Return to last bonfire rested at.
Would normally link to one's homeland, only the curse of the Undead has distorted its power, redirecting casters to a bonfire. Or perhaps for Undead, this serves as home?
Down Special Attack: Parry
It's another counter. Joy. This one comes out fast, with short frames, and if hit by any non-projectile (including disjointed hitboxes), it "Command Grabs" the attacker (mechanically, but in appearance they're just knocked off balance for a moment before Solaire goes medieval on them). Solaire then proceeds to impale anyone that was knocked off balance, dealing severe damage, then kicking them off his sword, launching them sideways. As it isn't actually an unique ability, there's no lore I can pull. So here's Solaire's shield's lore.
Shield of Solaire of Astora, Knight of Sunlight. Decorated with a holy symbol, but Solaire illustrated it himself, and it has no divine powers of its own.
As it turns out, Solaire's incredible prowess is a product of his own training, and nothing else.

Custom Move 1: Projectile Parry
This version can deflect projectiles like Mario's Cape. Combine with passive blocking to make any projectile-based enemy's life hell. Here's the lore description for the Golden Wing Shield, the first shield most players encounter with the ability to parry magic in Dark Souls II.

A blue shield with a gold relief of wings. Likely a symbol of guardianship used by the Knights of the Blue.
Contains materials enchanted by magic, allowing spells to be deflected by parrying.

Custom Move 2: Brutal Parry
Rather than kicking his opponent off his sword, Solaire slams them into the ground, with the sword still deep in their gut, trading off the knockback ofof a normal counter for more raw damage. This is based on the unique animations and increased "Critical" attack damage granted by the Hornet Ring.

Ring associated with the Lord's Blade Ciaran, one of the Four Knights of Gwyn, the First Lord.
Boosts critical attacks.
The masked Ciaran was the only woman to serve in Gwyn's Four Knights, and her curved sword granted a swift death to any and all enemies of the throne.
Final Smash: SOUL OF CINDER
Solaire plants his sword into the ground, erupting into flame. Anyone hit by this flame is pulled into the Kiln of the First Flame to face the Soul of Cinder, who performs a brutal five-hit combo that ends with planting his sword into the ground and emitting a second flaming blast. After this, the screen fades to black, and that infamous game over screen shows up again.
Since Lord Gwyn, the first Lord of Cinder, many exalted lords have linked the First Flame, and it is their very souls that have manifested themselves as defender of the flame.

Alternatively, if the Soul of Cinder is too grim for Smash Bros, you could have Solaire summon the Chosen Undead (in his classic Elite Knight outfit), Black Iron Tarkus, and Witch Beatrice for a powerful combo attack that ends in sending the opponents skywards......into a salvo of sunlight spears from all four fighters (ignore that none of the others typically use miracles, I'm riffing on that opening scene with Gwyn vs the Dragons)

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
the appeal in solaire is that he is from a very succesful and yet niche series in darksouls, a japanese rpg VERY different from other japanese rpgs, very famous on the west, very recognizable design, and is not ONLY a meme, but a very memorable character in its own game.

that being said, being a meme it also boost its popularity as a character.

Also, even if solaire in Darksouls he doesnt have the more unique and exotic moveset, the fact that the gameplay in dark souls is so recognizable and unique means that there is plenty on uiquness on trying to imitate the "darksouls feel" in its moveset (look at ryu, the most vanilla character in street fighter, yet since he is designed to feel like street fighter in smash he feels very unique). i feel that sakurai loves that kind of challenges.

Imo he is both unique and even if its popularity is inside a niche, that popularity make it recognizable. even between people that never touched Dark Souls.

2 interesting mechanics that he could have inspired in darksouls are being able to walk on shield (while run would be a roll) and more devastating perfect parrys (considering the how the new perfect parry mechanich works)

his movility shouldnt be stellar, at least not the air one, (and that certainly could balance giving him good aerials) neither good jumps (although it could be balanced with a decent/good Upb recovery) making him more ground oriented, but being able to move on shield could make its movility very interesting.

again, pretty terrible dash but great walk speed would make him unique, yet walk speed should synergize pretty good with its kit (even if dashs seems to be the key to top tier in this game) also, Bad burst movility also could help balance something like an estus flask on down b again, making him feels more and more like a dark souls character. finally his signature projectile and even if the rest of the moveset just consists on "sword swipes" and "shield bashs", he would feel VERY unique.

StingHobbes

Smash Rookie
Up Special Attack: White Sign Soapstone
Marks the ground with a white sign, then teleport to it in a flash of light on second activation.
I REALLY like this idea for an Up Special. Not only could you use it for recoveries, you could teleport to extend combos or play mindgames with your opponent. This mechanic would be so unique.

Also, even if solaire in Darksouls he doesnt have the more unique and exotic moveset, the fact that the gameplay in dark souls is so recognizable and unique means that there is plenty on uiquness on trying to imitate the "darksouls feel" in its moveset
If Solaire was to make an appearance in Ultimate, I definitely agree with you that Sakurai would make him feel like he jumped right out of Dark Souls. I can see him being hard to master, but very rewarding, just like the games.

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
Well that'd be impossible because in Dark Souls, you could barely jump higher than your knees.

But yes, my plan is essentially to have his bad air game reflect this home series and it's lack of real jumping. He's a heavyweight with a defensive kit that can respond to any form of pressure and put plenty of pressure on his opponents in turn with his armor, good rolls, and parry.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I want Solaire to get in just so he can team up with Wii Fit Trainer and praise the sun as she salutes it

Last edited:

Reila

Dark Souls nowadays really can't be called niche anymore. It is such a big series.
I want Solaire to get in just so he can team up with Wii Fit Trainer and praise the sun as she salutes it

Well that'd be impossible because in Dark Souls, you could barely jump higher than your knees.

But yes, my plan is essentially to have his bad air game reflect this home series and it's lack of real jumping. He's a heavyweight with a defensive kit that can respond to any form of pressure and put plenty of pressure on his opponents in turn with his armor, good rolls, and parry.
It does make sense for Solaire to be on the defensive side of things, given he focus on miracles, the least offense-oriented kind of magic in the Souls series. He is also fairly heavy armored. Sure, he is not as armored as Iron Tarkus or Havel, but he is also not wearing something like the Gold-Hemmed Black Set.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Dark Souls III for my PS4. I support!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Alright.

He isn't in Dark Souls III, but it is a great game regardless. Have fun.
Solaire is in Dark Souls 3. I played through that game like 3 times to figure out how to help him survive til the end

Reila

Solaire is in Dark Souls 3. I played through that game like 3 times to figure out how to help him survive til the end
No, he isn't. Solaire only appears in Dark Souls (1). You can help him survive in Dark Souls (1), not 3.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
No, he isn't. Solaire only appears in Dark Souls (1). You can help him survive in Dark Souls (1), not 3.
Oh yeah you’re right. Totally spaced and confused him for Siegmeyer. Don’t know what I was thinking

Last edited:

StingHobbes

Smash Rookie
You can get Solaire's armor and weapons in DS3, so you might run into some Solaire cosplayers online. There's a few other DS1 characters that appear for real in DS3 though.

Reila

Oh yeah you’re right. Totally spaced and confused him for Siegmeyer. Don’t know what I was thinking
Understandable, they are both two of the most friendly characters in the Souls series.

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
Whelp. I finished coming up with his special attacks.........but the images are busted.

Why are the images busted?

Last edited:

Reila

Not sure. The GIF I had in my post is also gone.

When/if you get it fixed, I will link your moveset in the main post.

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
Seems fixed now.....not sure what happened.

Here's a rough setup of what I had planned for his normal attacks, core mechanics, and playstyle.

Jab/Neutral: Literally just the two-hit straight sword swing combo from Dark Souls.
Forward Tilt: Either a thrust, or if held, a slower kick that has high shieldstun and shield damage.
Up Tilt: Upwards sword swing. Generic combo fodder.
Down Tilt: Strong swing combo. It hits the ground, so I figured it makes sense as a down tilt.
Forward Smash: Jump Attack (The one you get when you strong attack + forwards). Creates a small energy wave when sword is electrified (Sunlight blade active)
Up Smash: Upwards thrust. If sword is electrified, becomes a multi-hitting paralyzer rather than a knockback move.
Down Smash: Force/Wrath of the Gods. If uncharged, it just knocks people back with low damage. Charging grants additional armor and massively improved damage and knockback.

Grab: Two-handed motion.
Pummel: Headbutt the enemy. He's wearing a helmet.
Forward Throw: Winds up and smashes shield edge into the enemy, sending them flying.
Up Throw: Just sorta throws them straight up.
Down Throw: Stab, then punch overhead with shield hand. Changed to multi-hit paralyzing stab when sword is electrified.
Back Throw: Falls on back and kicks enemy over himself.

Solaire has a combination of a shield similar to Link's, albeit bigger and more effective (Because it's bigger). Solaire also holds this shield out infront of his shield bubble when blocking.......projectiles that hit the shield don't affect the bubble. (Posture changed to essentially two-handing the shield, since he always looks like he's blocking.), and a metered armor system where he can soak up a set amount of knockback before being affected, this meter is largely unaffected by knockback scaling, to increase it's consistency. Unlike in Dark Souls, his "Poise" meter is visible on screen as a green bar.

On the other hand, Solaire has the short jump heights and poor aerials, similar to fellow ****ty air fighter, Little Mac. Unlike Mac however, his recovery is largely independant of his pathetic jump thanks to the fact that it involves teleporting (and homewards is effectively enough to compensate his poor regular jump recovery). Two of his recoveries are also reliant on having marks on the ground, with one also being reliant on the enemy being willing to be near the mark in question, with the recovery consuming the mark......Solaire will have to set another soap sign fast if he wants to avoid being little mac'd off the stage. His only good Aerial, his down-air, is a powerful stall-and-fall based on the classic Plunging Attack. It's his only real tool to avoid getting bounced around midair.

Solaire has a unique, fast stabbing attack he can execute out of a roll (as in, literally a roll attack from Dark Souls), which can stuff punishes, and be pointed forwards or backwards.

All in all, his gameplay is about balancing power spikes (when his poise is high and he has his buff active) and lows (low/out of poise and no buff, no soapsign), stalling and playing defensively in the latter while attempting to capitalize on advantages in the former.

Last edited:

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
Aerials:

Neutral Air: Swings horrizontally forwards, fast, small hitbox, somewhat long recovery.
Forward Air: A shield punch forwards, which drags him into a slow flip midair. Strong attack and does light damage to enemies that get to close while he's flailing about trying to reorient himself. This is a recurring them with these. Sweetspot at the bottom of the punch spikes downwards.
Up air: Swings up above him and ends up flailing for a bit as he rights himself.
Back air: Sweeps behind and below. Once again, ends up having to reorient himself after swinging.
Down air: Holds sword parallel to the ground and drops. Solaire's body does some damage, and the sword is basically a sweetspot that does more. Combined with his poise mechanic, this move can bull through a lot of attempts force Solaire to remain airborne and basically helpless. Very little startup.

Taunts:

Up Taunt: Praise the Sun. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Forward Taunt: Duel Bow: The best way to start off a respectable duel.

Down Taunt: Either Point Down, for the salty players amongst us, or a unique feature where Solaire mimes reading a soapstone message......which might possibly pop up with some occasionally helpful advice in Solaire's home stage.

Examples:

Try Jumping (Vs Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Little Mac)
Try Blocking (Sammus, Links, Mega Man, Rob)
Visions of Barrels (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong)
Vision of Giants (Ike)
Fatty Ahead (Wario, DDD)
Try Holding with Both Hands (Marth, Lucina, Roy)
Weakness: Mouth (Ridley)

Dragon...? (Charizard)
Amazing Chest Ahead (Palutena, Ryu)
Try Parrying (Gannondorf)
Mimicry? (Miis)
Be wary of Strange Creatures (Olimar)
Be wary of Behind (Wario)

Victory Poses

Praise the Sun (Mandatory)

Quiet Resolve

Something more action-y, blocking a gout of flame or something.

Dark Souls Item: Estus Flask

A throwable/consumable item, use to chug, healing a large chunk of hp, but leaving yourself vulnerable for a brief period. Does a fair amount of damage when thrown. Holds 20 charges, meaning it'll likely be used multiple times by different people before running dry.

Map would probably be Anor Londo, but how to design it? Gonna need more time to brainstorm this one.

Last edited:

Reila

You know that platform that you need to rotate with a lever to access other areas in Anor Londo? That would be my pick for the stage. The platform would rotate and the background would change as a result. Though I feel like the Darkmoon Tomb should be part of the stage somehow and it doesn't work very well with the aforementioned idea.

On top of that, we could have three variations of Anor Londo. The sunny Anor Londo (Gwyndolin's illusion), the nighttime Anor Lond (when you attack Gwynevere and break the illusion) and the Dark Souls III, snowy Anor Londo.

We could also have some NPCs in the background, such as the Darkmoon Knightess, the Giant Blacksmith, Siegmeyer, maybe Lautrec too. Maybe Company Captain Yorshka, too, since "time is convoluted in Lordran/Lothric"™

Last edited:

Reila

I have been thinking about what tracks could be included in Smash Ultimate if by any chance Solaire was playable. I think it is safe to assume the tracks would come mostly from Dark Souls (I) and Dark Souls III. Dark Souls II, as amazing as it is, is also not as popular and Demon's Souls/Bloodborne are owned by Sony, so it is unlikely that there would be content from these two games in Smash. With that in mind, the safest picks:

Firelink Shrine. A very soothing theme, not unlike The Roost Café which plays in an Animal Crossing stage.
Gwyn, Lord of Cinder. Probably the most well known track in the series, there is no way it wouldn't be included.
Knight Artorias. Also a very popular and fantastic track.
Dragonslayer Ornstein & Executioner Smough. Another extremely popular track, the boss theme that plays in the most well known boss in Dark Souls. Unlike the other tracks so far, this one is more "action-y" and less "soothing".

From Dark Souls III, it is a bit trickier because the game isn't as well known as the first. A few suggestions:

Nameless King . Such a good track, and the boss himself is related to Dark Souls I, so it fits.
Slave Knight Gael . Anyone who played the Dark Souls III DLC knows the importance of Gael. Not to mention, his theme is fantastic.

If Dark Souls II got any music representation, I would bet on Fume Knight or perhaps Nashandra. Either that or a mash-up of various tracks in the game. If by any miracle Demon's Souls and Bloodborne got music representation, my bets are on Maiden Astraea (Demon's Souls) and Ludwig, the Holy Blade (Bloodborne).

Last edited:

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
Hello, there!
Just showing my support for the Sun-Bro!
I know he maybe doesn't have so much chance like other characters (as if there were safe picks anyway), but I'd really enjoy having him on Smash Ultimate. He's such an iconic NPC on Dark Souls!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I never was super confident we may get a dark souls character, but now im' very confident that we wont.

BUT, i'm totally pushing for him if DLC is a thing, like my top pick...

beacuse i can barely believe that all of my really wanted characters are already in or are assists trophies...

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
Inb4 Chosen Undead is a Link Echo Fighter (Black Firebombs, Gough's Greatbow, and I suppose he gets a unique side-B)

Reila

I never was super confident we may get a dark souls character, but now im' very confident that we wont.

BUT, i'm totally pushing for him if DLC is a thing, like my top pick...

beacuse i can barely believe that all of my really wanted characters are already in or are assists trophies...
Nothing changed for me. It was always an unlikely yet very cool possibility.

Namco still only has one rep, while Capcom and SEGA have two. If Square gets another (be it Geno, Sora or a Monster Hunter), I would expect Namco to get a second rep, too. And I don't see a bunch of people from animes joining Smash, so that leaves a Dark Souls rep or Don-chan from Taiko no Tatsujin.

But I am sure I am forgetting some other person they could add.

Actually, if anything, watching reactions earlier showed me that a lot of people wouldn't be surprised if we got a Dark Souls fighter, since their first guess when watching the Castlevania trailer was "Dark Souls?" Of course, if you actually played Dark Souls you would know the very first moment it wasn't a Dark Souls rep, unless for some reason the trailer took place in the Drangleic Castle from Dark Souls II, that deep black castle in the rain. But that wouldn't happen. If we get a Dark Souls rep, I will eat a Goomba if the trailer doesn't take place either in Anor Londo or in the Firelink Shrine (from Dark Souls, not III).

But still, even if Solaire (or Artorias) isn't playable, the fact some people were not surprised by the possibility makes me happy.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
If Square gets another (be it Geno, Sora or a Monster Hunter),
Just FYI, Monster Hunter is Capcom. A third possibility for Square would be Dragon Quest or possibly Lara Croft.

Edit: also another Bamco rep possibility is Heihachi, he got a Mii Fighter costume in 4 and was reportedly being worked on before Sakurai decided he was too difficult.

Last edited:

Reila

Just FYI, Monster Hunter is Capcom. A third possibility for Square would be Dragon Quest or possibly Lara Croft.

Edit: also another Bamco rep possibility is Heihachi, he got a Mii Fighter costume in 4 and was reportedly being worked on before Sakurai decided he was too difficult.
Yeah, that is what I get for typing when sleepy. I am aware Monster Hunter is Capcom haha. I have it installed on my 3DS.

I find it unlikely for a Tekken person to be added, but you are right, it is a possibility I forgot!

Edit: There is also stuff like KOS-MOS (who is trash and fittingly appears in Xenoblade 2) would could be the second Bamco rep. Or even Agumon :p

Last edited:

StingHobbes

Smash Rookie
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Dark Souls when Simon Belmont's cinematic started. Obviously I knew it was Simon from the get go, but I couldn't shake the feeling of the Dark Souls vibe it was giving off.

Regarding Solaire's current chances of getting into Ultimate, I'm mostly in the same boat with you guys. Very unlikely, but there's still a small glimmer of hope. That said, I never thought Solaire would get into the base game, so I don't think we'll see him before the game comes out. If Ultimate has DLC, that's when I think his chances are best. Even if he doesn't get in the roster, Ultimate's roster is already amazing and I can't complain one bit.

And just for fun, would you guys want an echo fighter for Solaire (if he got in hypothetically)? Since Simon has Richter, that confirms the possibilities of third parties having echo fighters. As who the echo fighter for Solaire would be, I'm not sure. All the NPCs use a lot of different weapons, so I'm not sure how it'd work. My dream would be Solaire and Lautrec as an echo fighter, despite him dual-wielding shotels.

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
The Chosen Undead (or just Oscar/Anri) most likely. Same overall moveset, swap out Sunlight Blade for Dark Hand as a health-draining command grab.

Top Bottom