• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing parry with 20XX?

ultimamax

Smash Rookie
As you probably know, you can have player 2 spam certain actions by pressing L+R+Dpad Up. So I tried having Bowser spam forward smash on FD. It's semi effective, but are there better ways to train this? Also I'm starting by trying to powershield his attacks, how will I be sure I've powershielded them? What do I look out for?

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
As you probably know, you can have player 2 spam certain actions by pressing L+R+Dpad Up. So I tried having Bowser spam forward smash on FD. It's semi effective, but are there better ways to train this? Also I'm starting by trying to powershield his attacks, how will I be sure I've powershielded them? What do I look out for?
Funny we're talking about this exact same thing in the ask thread. I would recommend using falco's Dair to activate it use R + Taunt. Originally it's supposed to be for Fox's (dair to grab to up throw to uair) but you can use it to make falco do the same thing) Also to make it easier use trigger tricking (Just learned about his last night) unplug your controller and as you plug it back in hold a Shield button. You lose the ability to Light shield on that specific button but makes parrying a whole lot easier. Words from @ Sashimi Sashimi . I've been taking advice from him this whole year and I've gotten better so his credibility is awesome.

ultimamax

Smash Rookie
Cool. When I try trigger tricking I can still light shield with that button, are you using a Wii or a Gamecube when you do that? They may handle input differently. I'm using 20XX through USB with Nintendont. When you plug it back in should you be light shielding or holding that trigger all the way?

Also what should I look for when I practice powershielding with Yoshi? Will his shield come out? Will that green circle particle thing appear?

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I'm using Gamecube of course. but playing melee when you activate the trigger tricking on say the R button. You won't be able to light shield with that button. Meaning you would have to use the L button to Light shield...wish there was a trigger tricking for the light shield option to. Would make yoshi SO MUCH BETTER for everyone but alas it doesn't work that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQe3Xkb4u0

This video could explain it in better ways then i could. I still have a long way to go as a Yoshi player but hopefully this video can give you a start. If you have any 20xx questions to use for yoshi however i could help you out with that.

ultimamax

Smash Rookie
Are you trigger tricking in the video you posted in the ask thread? That appears to be 20XX. Do you have 20XX on a gamecube, or does that mean it's possible on the Wii as well?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
For trigger tricking, you will not be able to light shield with the button you use to parry. This is the only downside to trigger tricking and it is definitely worth it. It makes parrying much easier. It also doesn't matter if you're using a gamecube or wii, it works the same either way. You want to hold down the shoulder button the whole way to make sure that you won't get any chance of light shielding with that button.

Having the CPU spam a slow attack is a good way to get used to the timing of parrying, but I don't recommend you start with powershielding because it's a different timing than parrying and it isn't actually useful for Yoshi (reflecting projectiles is useful, powershelding regular attacks is not useful at all with Yoshi). If you get a powershield, it means you pressed shield 1-2 frames too early to parry. You will see a white flash that looks like this:

As for other ways to practise parrying, the 20XX pack gives you a lot of options. One you get comfortable with the basic timing, try as many as you can think of, since practising a variety of things will leave you better prepared than just practising one thing. Some of my ideas include:
- CPU spam any attack
- Falco CPU short hop lasers (you can also practise reflecting these)
- Falco/Falcon approaching Dair (like Dinowulf suggested)
- CPU out of shield options (you will need to hit them to trigger the out of shield option before you can parry it - this is also good for practising shield pressure but don't worry about this until you're already used to parrying a lot)

Most importantly, practise against real people, because that is the best parrying practice you will get.

Last edited:

ultimamax

Smash Rookie

ssbwiki only mentions lightshielding and powershielding in the parry article. Someone should fix that.
Thanks for the help! Time for some parry practice.

Edit: I can't seem to get trigger tricking working, or any sort of "stuck input" through resetting or unplugging my controller. Maybe if I do it when 20XX starts up?

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman

ssbwiki only mentions lightshielding and powershielding in the parry article. Someone should fix that.
Thanks for the help! Time for some parry practice.

Edit: I can't seem to get trigger tricking working, or any sort of "stuck input" through resetting or unplugging my controller. Maybe if I do it when 20XX starts up?
To enable the trigger tricking you have to be on the charecter select screen when you arrive there make sure you port is unplugged. Before you plug it back in Hold the R button. Which should activate it. You'll know it work if you try to light shield and nothing happens on the initial button you wanted.

ultimamax

Smash Rookie
I followed your instructions exactly on both L and R. I tried it with a white and non-white controller. I managed to get it working on vanilla Melee but not on 20XX. Are you using the default 20XX settings?

Edit: Specifically what setup are you using for 20XX? Nintendont or Dios Mios?

Last edited:

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
It should work no matter what, 20XX or not. I use DIOS MIOS and it works fine. Also, you can do the trigger trick whenever, even in game (you don't even have to pause to do it). It just recognizes the state of what buttons were where at the time you plug it in. You can do it with any button I believe.

Also, I've been finding ways to practice parrying more efficiently, and the CPU spam function and save/load state don't work consistently for me, so I was thinking that maybe an easier way of parrying more times in a given stock, could you potentially turn handicap on, and max it out on yourself so your character doesn't fly as far when you practice against stronger moves? Say, the Bowser Fsmash thing, maybe turning handicap up would be more time efficient than losing the stock to reset the situation? Or attempt the buggy save/load states. Idk, just a thought I haven't tested.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Save states would be the most efficient way to do it if they weren't buggy (which they can be), but messing with damage ratio/handicap can also make practice more efficient.

Sef

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seflicky
I followed your instructions exactly on both L and R. I tried it with a white and non-white controller. I managed to get it working on vanilla Melee but not on 20XX. Are you using the default 20XX settings?

Edit: Specifically what setup are you using for 20XX? Nintendont or Dios Mios?
It might be Nintendont. I haven't been able to get the trigger tricking to work on 20xx either, only on my vanilla Melee.

birthgirth

Smash Rookie
Trigger tricking did not work for me on Nintendont. I am using the dios mios loader now and it works fine.
I've been practicing parry by using infinite shields for CPUs (Down D-pad) and having fox/falco nair out of shield (L+D-Pad Right). Hit them with a D-tilt and parry their nair oos. I was hoping there would be a way to make characters spam different stuff. Now I know!

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
I know I'm kind of late, and nobody can really benefit from this now, but Nintendont actually has a setting called "native control" which causes Gamecube controllers to be read as normal. It allows you to trigger trick your controller and it also fixes the shield dropping problem that a lot of people seem to have.

You just press the B button while on your games list to access the settings, and the native control option should be at the very bottom of the list.

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm kind of late, and nobody can really benefit from this now, but Nintendont actually has a setting called "native control" which causes Gamecube controllers to be read as normal. It allows you to trigger trick your controller and it also fixes the shield dropping problem that a lot of people seem to have.

You just press the B button while on your games list to access the settings, and the native control option should be at the very bottom of the list.
I just benefited from it. I was wondering why it wasn't working. Thanks!

Top Bottom