• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing Ness's DJC

BluesCERO

Smash Rookie
Hey y'all,

Total newbie to Smash. Have a bit of experience with the Tekken series, but so little seems to apply to this game. DJCs seem like arcane knowledge. I've tried searching the forums here and Youtube, but I don't see much in the way of "how-to" stuff. Do you guys here on the Ness boards have any resources or advice that might help me practice this skill?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
https://youtu.be/5dEaQ6GnZ3Q

Basically what you do is you jump and then press your second jump with your control stick pressed horizontally in the direction you’d like to go and then immediately after the second jump use magnet. It’s really not that difficult of a tech to perform and it’s harder to explain. You know you’ve got it down when you’re Magnet is gliding horizontally and you’re not stalling out. Just practice in training mode. Also make sure once you get it down you’re always aerialing out of it (Nair is the easiest to hit at first probs).

Also go to smashcords.com and join Ness’s discord. People will definitely be able to explain it well to you there

AJb1205

Smash Cadet
NNID
AJb1205

Basically what you do is you jump and then press your second jump with your control stick pressed horizontally in the direction you’d like to go and then immediately after the second jump use magnet. It’s really not that difficult of a tech to perform and it’s harder to explain. You know you’ve got it down when you’re Magnet is gliding horizontally and you’re not stalling out. Just practice in training mode. Also make sure once you get it down you’re always aerialing out of it (Nair is the easiest to hit at first probs).

Also go to smashcords.com and join Ness’s discord. People will definitely be able to explain it well to you there
What're the benefits of using PK Magnet and when should I be using it in actual gameplay? I've seen Bestness use it in some online combo clips but I don't know the general application for it and if it is something that will truly enhance gameplay or if it's just to make combos look saucy.

BluesCERO

Smash Rookie

MG,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm trying this out soon as I get back home. I'll check out the discord too. Have a great one!

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
MG,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm trying this out soon as I get back home. I'll check out the discord too. Have a great one!
You too!

Definitely check out the discord. It’s really helpful and there are a lot of really good players (like pr good) willing to help there

What're the benefits of using PK Magnet and when should I be using it in actual gameplay? I've seen Bestness use it in some online combo clips but I don't know the general application for it and if it is something that will truly enhance gameplay or if it's just to make combos look saucy.
So basically the applications are as a movement/approach tool (sparingly), a mixup (mostly this), a combo tool, and a kill confirm tool. It really just gives Ness another movement option with a lot of utility. I would just watch BestNess and other top players use it in tournament matches and kind of get an idea from there of what it’s applications are. That’s what helped me. You don’t wanna overuse it

But yes when used correctly it will no doubt truly enhance your gameplay

AJb1205

Smash Cadet
NNID
AJb1205
So basically the applications are as a movement/approach tool (sparingly), a mixup (mostly this), a combo tool, and a kill confirm tool. It really just gives Ness another movement option with a lot of utility. I would just watch BestNess and other top players use it in tournament matches and kind of get an idea from there of what it’s applications are. That’s what helped me. You don’t wanna overuse it

But yes when used correctly it will no doubt truly enhance your gameplay
Alright thanks! Bestness also apparently made a video a few days ago on the subject

MapleBeasts

Smash Cadet
MG covered it for the most part. One other thing that a lot of the pros like Awestin and Bestness do with it is that it confirms grabs at all percents. Basically you can magnet immediately off of shorthop, fastfall uair with your c-stick into grab. From there you can either back throw for the kill or if your at early percentages down throw to continue the combo off of it. It basically does everything for you when used correctly. Combos, kill confirms, mix-ups in neutral, enables some absolutely brutal punishes on whiff, etc. Mastering magnet and it's applications is what separates the men from the boys as far as competitive Ness play goes.

PSIPher

Smash Rookie

Yes, pretty much this....

One thing I'd add is that it helps if you configure the R shoulder button to jump. Well, it helped me anyway. This frees your thumb up to race straight to the B button so you execute the magnet as soon as possible after that second directional jump. The quicker you do it, the further, faster and more horizontal you travel. And the more likely you are to catch out your opponent.

It's also useful to do after an enemy knock-back at low to mid percentages. Much of time, you can fly right back at them for an easy hit, particularly if they are following up their knock-back move by running towards you, in which case they fall straight into your loving arms. By loving arms, I mean a rather punishing drag-down up-air followed by a throw or raise the roof combo.

Ness is quite a floaty character, which is a blessing in one way as he's more difficult to combo at low percentages, but, at higher percentages, it makes you very vulnerable in a disadvantage state as any grounded opponent will be able to predict your landing. Good use of the PSI magnet can scupper that and you'll find you live an awful lot longer. Just make sure you save your double jump.

Top Bottom