• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing Chaingrabs?

Vista_

Smash Cadet
Ive been polishing my chaingrabs on my GameCube recently because I feel that the dolphin lag can mess with me :-(. But I don't have 20xx on my gc, and I was wondering how to practice chaingrabs on CPUs? Every set of CPUs has their own habits when being chaingrabbed, and I'm pretty sure none of them require you to dash JC grab at any point below 30%, so in real matches the practice hardly applies. Does anyone know of a method where a cpu can reliably do random DI on a copy of melee without 20xx?

thf24

Smash Cadet
I practice on level 3 CPU, seems to do everything DI-wise and mixes it up pretty well. Downside is it doesn't jump out of hitstun, being vanilla, so you have to keep in mind and recognize when a follow up was probably too late. If you can, get your hands on a 20XXTE v2b memory card. DI is the same as vanilla, but it's got a color overlay for free state, so you can see when they could have jumped out of, air dodged, or shined your follow up.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
If you have a wii, there's rather easy (albeit non-kosher) ways of getting 20XX.

Last edited:

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
What I would recommend in your case is to first, find as much information on the chaingrab as you can. I believe Kadano has a chart detailing the chaingrab from 0% to 50%, SSBM Tutorials made a chaingrab guide for Marth and I found a wiki page that had this guy's personal notes (which includes some helpful information on chaingrabs http://mulpwiki.org/index.php/Marth_training_notes).

After you understand what works at certain percents, start practicing the chaingrab on a level 3 CPU. Just keep on practicing the grabs and followups. Repetition is the key to consistency pulling of the chaingrab.

Eclipse.

Smash Rookie
Level 3 is the best in vanilla. If you have a friend with a Wii and 20XX TE version 2b, try to get that on your memory card as it has colour overlays and a randomly DIng AI.

Waviz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wavizz
I've had some success with level 1 falcon, he tends to DI behind as well as slight behind. Meaning you will have to use dash JC grabs. I hope this helps.

Eclipse.

Smash Rookie
I've had some success with level 1 falcon, he tends to DI behind as well as slight behind. Meaning you will have to use dash JC grabs. I hope this helps.
Few things.
Level 1's will not make you JC grab often, you can just turn around grab most of the time.

You can tell by the context of what he said he's talking about Fox and not Falcon which are 2 very different things.

Falcon's CG is %'s are odd and tech chasing him with F/D-throw is so easy (due to his slow rolls/tech) that you really shouldn't need to bother with CGing him instead of just a plain tech chase.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice

lizardwuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Redpanda_Block
I practice on level 3 CPU, seems to do everything DI-wise and mixes it up pretty well. Downside is it doesn't jump out of hitstun, being vanilla, so you have to keep in mind and recognize when a follow up was probably too late. If you can, get your hands on a 20XXTE v2b memory card. DI is the same as vanilla, but it's got a color overlay for free state, so you can see when they could have jumped out of, air dodged, or shined your follow up.
thanks

Top Bottom