• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practice Tips

DekuScrub_

Smash Rookie
So I've been playing Melee since around February this year but I've been really getting into it since Slippi's release. As we all know, Melee is extremely technical and requires a lot of practice. I know most of the basics such as wavedashing and l-canceling in addition to some specific tech for my main, Shiek such as needle cancelling/needle turnarounds.
Since I have more free time during this Christmas break, I've been wondering how often I should practice Melee when I have free time (like maybe an hour a day for example) and what specific tech i should follow (like right now im struggling a bit with short hopping due to how harder it is to execute compared to Ultimate). So what should my routine be, and how/what should I practice?

Broder Daniel

Smash Rookie
Get Unclepunch. It has all the training routines you need.
Personally I find that I don't improve when I practice too much. Make sure to take breaks. If you notice that you're starting to do worse than before, take a break for the rest of the day or at least a few hours. It takes time to develop muscle memory.
Watch videos of other Shiek players. Take some mental notes on how they apply her different tools, neutral, recovery etc.
When I started playing I had a friend who was also new, we both motivated each other to improve through a friendly rivalry. For me that was probably the biggest factor when it came to improvement. It can be discouraging to get bopped at every local (or online as of now) by people who are much better than you, so for me it kept the game fun even when I was trash

Last edited:

DekuScrub_

Smash Rookie
Get Unclepunch. It has all the training routines you need.
Personally I find that I don't improve when I practice too much. Make sure to take breaks. If you notice that you're starting to do worse than before, take a break for the rest of the day or at least a few hours. It takes time to develop muscle memory.
Watch videos of other Shiek players. Take some mental notes on how they apply her different tools, neutral, recovery etc.
When I started playing I had a friend who was also new, we both motivated each other to improve through a friendly rivalry. For me that was probably the biggest factor when it came to improvement. It can be discouraging to get bopped at every local (or online as of now) by people who are much better than you, so for me it kept the game fun even when I was trash
Thank you for the pointers! I've been doing most of them for a while but having those points being echoed really helped get it into my head and I managed to make top 8 in my first tourney :)

Top Bottom