• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practice and tech

Nikolos

Smash Rookie
He might want to learn some basic tech first
- Bomb dropping/strats
- Hook Shot
- Spacing and Mind Games
- Matchups
Just find a play style, that's some basic tec to focus on. You want to focus matchups a lot since yl has very poor skill agaisnt fox/falco so it's best to know good ways to attack them, but mind games do help with that

Last edited:

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
You NEED to be able to wavedash out of shield with YL. His rolls and aerials out of shield are just... awful... lol. Z drop bomb is okay sometimes OOS.

If you want to get a bit more technical, you can learn stuff like short hop bomb throw fast fall waveland, wavedash off platform falling bomb throw waveland, ledge hop bomb pull, ledge hop bomb throw waveland, full hop arrow waveland... basically just movement tricks between projectiles to keep your movement vague.

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
You NEED to be able to wavedash out of shield with YL. His rolls and aerials out of shield are just... awful... lol. Z drop bomb is okay sometimes OOS.

If you want to get a bit more technical, you can learn stuff like short hop bomb throw fast fall waveland, wavedash off platform falling bomb throw waveland, ledge hop bomb pull, ledge hop bomb throw waveland, full hop arrow waveland... basically just movement tricks between projectiles to keep your movement vague.
In addition to this, I recommend working on light shielding considering WD OoS is one of the better options. The displacement from light shielding assists in escaping shield pressure.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I'm showing up late to this, but I've been gone a while, so cut me some slack.

YL, from my experience, is more spacing than anything. His big strength is his mobility and range. If your friend is just getting started, I wouldn't get too crazy. Wavedash oos, wavelanding, and get some projectile control. Know your range and direction on boomerangs, know your timing on bombs, know the trajectory of arrows at different times. Learn to shffl nairs. Don't dair like a madman (sounds silly, but a lot of beginning YLs try this. Nairs kill too, you don't have to rely on a highly punishable dair every time), and for god's sake don't get hit. YL's a tough little *******, but he's built for running-and-gunning. Don't get greedy. Play the space game.

But yeah, for actual "tech", I'd just focus on wavedash oos and wavelanding. Grabbing the ledge with hookshot isn't a bad idea, but you can master that in 10 minutes. Up-Bing the ledge is pretty flashy but in my experience it's not really necessary. I've also seen YLs on Netplay boomerang at the ledge while recovering, to clear it up so they can grab it. I haven't seen it save anyone's life yet, but it keeps people from wanting to charge in at you, so I've adopted it as well.

Oh, and learning bomb drop, and bomb place. The latter is more ...cute... than anything. But I've seen people fall for it.

YL is all about doing weird stuff to confuse and evade your enemy. Have fun with it.

Top Bottom