• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
1. Sometimes you can still laser and land on the platform if it's lower. What to do from here depends on matchup, but attacking from the platform or even while on it can be interesting. If you'd rather avoid that, then you'd want to back up to the edge of the stage to laser or move more toward the middle which can include the top platform I suppose. For slightly higher platforms, if you start your laser earlier you won't land on it when you normally would.

2. This is a neat question. I find them to of course be better at closer range, when you're more certain you can hit, and/or if you want to space in case they shield while still covering their possible early attacks(Nair and Dair can be quite good at this). I find Nair in particular is great at covering jumps oos when closer for example, and Dair can help catch WD back oos while closer. You may find that your Nairs especially can be safer if you get the earliest FF and shine, but unstaled Dair into shine can be safe vs shieldgrab even if you hit it high up if you do all of this correctly.

3. Meditation, exercise, good sleep schedule, I find reading physical books to also help me, eating decently and drinking water, and playing before you get onto any screens helped me a lot too. You may also find other things helpful and it can be good to take notes on what was going on that day/in your life when this happened to optimize yourself.

Safe

Smash Rookie
Yo PP, how you doing

How should you play around pill when edgeguarding doc? Most doc's seem to recover like this and I'm not quite sure how to edgeguard the character without risking getting reversal'd.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hitting with a Bair as Doc is throwing the pill or right after is best so you can strong hit both the pill and then doc. If he pills from far away you can kick pill then go for another way to edgeguard doc after but it can depend. Sometimes if Doc pills kinda low you can FH over it and Dair him, but this mainly works better if his percent is higher so he can't reversal you/you don't have to worry about only hitting strong Dair and dying lol.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
FINAL SMASHBOARDS POST:

This post is a bit hard to write. But it feels like it's time.

Basically 15 years ago today, I joined this website after watching Wak's Advanced How to Play Guide. People thought I was a troll account given my username, and I went to my first tournament as Mario. I didn't use the internet much at the time, but I managed to find a local and went shortly afterward.

From then on, Smashboards was my home. I logged in basically every day! I socialized with the NC homies in one section, and discussed Melee in another section. I have yet to see a better system on a website! Sometimes we would goof off in the Melee section, and sometimes we'd talk about improvement in the social section, but that was alright. Sometimes there would be flame wars against mods/admins, which was kinda crazy and text would be massive and red. I don't miss that part LOL. Eventually, I was socializing even with big names from out of state. Even if you didn't post much, you still had a smashboards account and your few posts had larger impact then. It was a cool time.

I found a home here. I felt I fit in for the first time in my life somewhere. I grew, said stupid things, some smart things, and laughed a lot. I also picked up some writing habits I still use today. I overuse "/" due to Dogysamich, and I use parentheses a lot due to Kirbykaze. Eventually, I began teaching here and analyzing for others here too, in hopes to pay back what people had given me when I started and looked at my videos for free with great advice.

Today I feel that debt has been paid in full.

There is no longer a community here for me to connect with, and I'm not so connected with the larger or smaller Melee scene, just my own Melee community. I enjoy teaching, but now I have platforms with a larger reach and in ways that modern people engage with more readily. There is something wonderful about the medium of forums and the longer form posts, and I'll always cherish that. I just have more responsibilities and values now.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still check Smashboards occasionally. It's still EASILY the best place to archive information, and I hope my threads here will help those who wish to learn from the past(some of the information is truly timeless!). I tried to get the ruleset committee to come back here and it worked for a little bit but people didn't really return. It just seems like Melee has moved on....or maybe social media platforms have a stranglehold on us LOL. My point is I don't plan on checking here or responding here anymore. Good luck to those 162 PMs!

I feel like there's so much more to say, so many individuals to thank, or wanting to start doing shoutouts to stuff like AIM to prolong this post. I don't think I'll drag this out further: thank you all for everything. Thank you everyone who talked to me on here, who engaged with me on here, who read my posts, who challenged me, who rooted for me, and more. Thank you to the mod team for allowing me to have some influence in affairs here. If I could ask the mods for anything it would be to leave this thread up and stickied as long as possible since people still seem to get value from it. If you see fit to get rid of it due to disuse then I understand.

I am sad. I don't really want this post to end but things are changing for me. Ah well! I will hope for many great things for Smashboards' future, and trust in where we go next as a community.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart <3

Last edited:

Yort

Smash Apprentice
FINAL SMASHBOARDS POST:

Basically 15 years ago today, I joined this website after watching Wak's Advanced How to Play Guide. People thought I was a troll account given my username, and I went to my first tournament as Mario. I didn't use the internet much at the time, but I managed to find a local and went shortly afterward.

From then on, Smashboards was my home. I logged in basically every day! I socialized with the NC homies in one section, and discussed Melee in another section. I have yet to see a better system on a website! Sometimes we would goof off in the Melee section, and sometimes we'd talk about improvement in the social section, but that was alright. Sometimes there would be flame wars against mods/admins, which was kinda crazy and text would be massive and red. I don't miss that part LOL. Eventually, I was socializing even with big names from out of state. Even if you didn't post much, you still had a smashboards account and your few posts had larger impact then. It was a cool time.

I found a home here. I felt I fit in for the first time in my life somewhere. I grew, said stupid things, some smart things, and laughed a lot. I also picked up some writing habits I still use today. I overuse "/" due to Dogysamich, and I use parentheses a lot due to Kirbykaze. Eventually, I began teaching here and analyzing for others here too, in hopes to pay back what people had given me when I started and looked at my videos for free with great advice.

There is no longer a community here for me to connect with, and I'm not so connected with the larger or smaller Melee scene, just my own Melee community. I enjoy teaching, but now I have platforms with a larger reach and in ways that modern people engage with more readily. There is something wonderful about the medium of forums and the longer form posts, and I'll always cherish that. I just have more responsibilities and values now.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still check Smashboards occasionally. It's still EASILY the best place to archive information, and I hope my threads here will help those who wish to learn from the past(some of the information is truly timeless!). I tried to get the ruleset committee to come back here and it worked for a little bit but people didn't really return. It just seems like Melee has moved on....or maybe social media platforms have a stranglehold on us LOL. My point is I don't plan on checking here or responding here anymore. Good luck to those 162 PMs!

I feel like there's so much more to say, so many individuals to thank, or wanting to start doing shoutouts to stuff like AIM to prolong this post. I don't think I'll drag this out further: thank you all for everything. Thank you everyone who talked to me on here, who engaged with me on here, who read my posts, who challenged me, who rooted for me, and more. Thank you to the mod team for allowing me to have some influence in affairs here. If I could ask the mods for anything it would be to leave this thread up and stickied as long as possible since people still seem to get value from it. If you see fit to get rid of it due to disuse then I understand.

I am sad. I don't really want this post to end but things are changing for me. Ah well! I will hope for many great things for Smashboards' future, and trust in where we go next as a community.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee
Good bye king. I'm sure everyone who ever browsed this thread will miss your presence here. I strongly cherish every piece of advice you've given me and I've got binders on binders of printed out notes from our discussions on this thread. I consider you my main melee teacher purely from what I've learned from this thread and whatever nuggets of wisdom you've shared with me over the years. I've even gone so far as to tell people that you're my Falco father figure. All the advice you have given me and others here has greatly influenced my life in a positive way, even in non melee ways, for example, I'm preparing to run my first marathon, and you're the one who got me into running! I hold you in high esteem as a massively positive influence on my life.

I'm sad to see you leave the longform text scene, but I know your presence is appreciated elsewhere in the community you've formed on twitch etc.

Thanks for everything again, and good luck with everything else going on in your life now. Love ya.

Last edited:

Ober

Smash Rookie
FINAL SMASHBOARDS POST:

RIP to the most useful falco resource. I've read A LOT of this thread and really appreciated how much you coached people without asking for anything in return on here. Thanks for everything pp

Top Bottom