• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
I was kind of afraid you'd say that, but i had a feeling that low lasers would be very important, but they seem the hardest for me to shoot so far. I get a lot of "ghost lasers" as i, and probably others, like to call them, where you get the sound/ animation but no laser. Just gotta train :)

I went to my first fest and felt pretty good about how it went. It was nice having a tangible threat in laser rather than the implied threat of foxes movement/moveset. I read an older post of yours about how the DD works with the laser and felt it to be very true.

I guess one thing id like to ask about is DI and recovery. I can't tell if i should have a different strategy at all compared to fox about what i "want" to get hit by and how to get back to stage. Falco seems a bit denser so he doesn't fly as far i think, but i still feel like my goal is to either up b above the stage for maximum angle choices, or side b before i get below the stage cause falco really isn't supposed to live below the stage. I felt confident that fox often had enough angles and the fire burns (not much a concern at high level, but mid-low level it's still a consideration) that from certain spots it's hard to cover it all, but i don't have that confidence in falco. Is this the right mindset to have (get as high up as possible through DI, save your double jump, don't get below the stage) or is there a bit more to it?

Edit: thanks a ton for that previous information btw. The low/ high on peach is extra interesting, i look forward to trying that out one day. Im grateful for the other character specific items too, and learned a bit first hand about the high lasers for falcon.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You're welcome man! =)

And yeah Falco doesn't go as far and doesn't have flames, but he does have an interesting advantage over Fox in his Up-B. His being shorter means you have to moreso commit to a place to cover it because if you miss then he's just exiting the move. If you are able to get the up-B going this is a big deal, but it's hard to pull off because up-B often needs to be closer to stage to have this benefit which makes it much more exploitable. I find the threat of DJ Dair for potential reversals mixed with airdodge and side B and DJ sweetspot to be much stronger for him when possible. If father away, learning shortens is valuable to get right to the edge and mixing around that height, with some up-B thrown in there if they tunnel vision on the side B. Shine stall is still useful.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
That makes good sense, and the more i play him, the better his recovery feels. In effort to learn the shorten timings, i'm understanding just how much faster his side b is. Thanks for the advice :)

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Bruhhhhh this character is dummy fun what on earth have i gotten into.

Ok so i had a long session of falco dittos and they were hella fun. But im trying to wrap my head around the laser neutral and im not sure if i'm doing it right. I feel like high/mid/low laser is a type of rps game where if you shoot a low one, they may jump over it and hit you (though it's hard to powershield) if you shoot a high one they may run under it and hit you (though if they tried to jump over a low one, they're getting stuffed), and if you shoot a mid one they may powershield it and hit you (though they can neither sh over nor run under). Now the option for the mid might be skewed in my eyes cause im very often "loading up" a powershield for a mid height laser when i see a falco shorthop. Probably a potentially exploitable reflex, but i'll deal with that another time :p.

Does that framing of the laser battle make any sense, and does it relate to how you see that part of neutral, or is it over simplified/effectively useless due to the power of falcos fullhop?

Squidster

Smash Ace
Hallo,

Curious about how much waiting is too much vs Marth. If I laser > wait vs Marth (dash forward, wait, dash back) and I don't see something obvious to bite at I might want to setup another laser but since lasers take so long and I've wasted my frame advantage it feels like a tricky balance between setting up another laser, waiting more, protecting myself or retreating.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HilariousDullRaccoonOSsloth

Laser > dash forward > if I had waited more after the dash forward (like dash dance in place or stand there) I think I coulda reacted to something but that feels wild lol. Do you think I had time to laser again (in place) or just bail and dash back after the dash forward upon not seeing anything.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Bruhhhhh this character is dummy fun what on earth have i gotten into.

Ok so i had a long session of falco dittos and they were hella fun. But im trying to wrap my head around the laser neutral and im not sure if i'm doing it right. I feel like high/mid/low laser is a type of rps game where if you shoot a low one, they may jump over it and hit you (though it's hard to powershield) if you shoot a high one they may run under it and hit you (though if they tried to jump over a low one, they're getting stuffed), and if you shoot a mid one they may powershield it and hit you (though they can neither sh over nor run under). Now the option for the mid might be skewed in my eyes cause im very often "loading up" a powershield for a mid height laser when i see a falco shorthop. Probably a potentially exploitable reflex, but i'll deal with that another time :p.

Does that framing of the laser battle make any sense, and does it relate to how you see that part of neutral, or is it over simplified/effectively useless due to the power of falcos fullhop?
He's pretty great lmao

Your version is not necessarily incorrect, but one thing that may be useful is knowing there are various mid height lasers that can sometimes get partial advantages of high or low ones. Higher mid ones can cover some jumps, and lower ones are easier to jump over PS for example.

Falco's FH doesn't change these things, but it does mean you shouldn't just spam when you have advantage....or at least account for this as well.

Hallo,

Curious about how much waiting is too much vs Marth. If I laser > wait vs Marth (dash forward, wait, dash back) and I don't see something obvious to bite at I might want to setup another laser but since lasers take so long and I've wasted my frame advantage it feels like a tricky balance between setting up another laser, waiting more, protecting myself or retreating.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HilariousDullRaccoonOSsloth

Laser > dash forward > if I had waited more after the dash forward (like dash dance in place or stand there) I think I coulda reacted to something but that feels wild lol. Do you think I had time to laser again (in place) or just bail and dash back after the dash forward upon not seeing anything.
You had time to laser in place there. It is unlikely you'd get challenged out of landing laser and moving in there.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
heya, I've been dipping my toes a bit practicing some falco for solo practice and smashladder. I got some questions...

I've been viewing Falco's laser in place similar to Marth's dtilt. The big weakness of laser however is its laggy startup which the opponent can lunge at me before it starts. Is my equivalent of a "free read" for this a WD back/jump to platform/FH? The reason why I ask this is because I'm not sure how to avoid getting lunged by Marth without getting fsmashed/DA/grabbed.

How do I effectively poke Marth/Shiek on side platforms? Feels like the most I can do is FH bair without going for a hard nair callout. I'm not sure how to laser at the side platforms effectively either. The same can be said against spacies where it feels like they have more angles to escape.

How do I edgeguard Marth that can DJ to ledge and can side-b around that area? At least as Fox I can call out with a shine, but it feels like I can't do much to contest that as Falco.

I think one goal of shield pressure is to find good openings to land a shine/aerial because falco's grab sucks most of the time. If I'm shield pressuring an opponent that's pretty willing to hold a healthy shield, how can I continue pressuring while minimizing the risk of getting reversaled?

What's your preferred way of calling out Fox's approaching FH? Both when he's at the peak of his jump and when he's descending with say, a drill or bair. Would you also say those answers are similar to calling out Falco's approaching FH?

At the start of a falco ditto, how should you start the match when you both stubbornly want to laser in place each other?

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Free read as in what they do? Or what you do? Free read is what they do while laser comes out, and SOMEWHAT what comes afterward.

Yeah side platforms are very tricky. Faking around a Bair of some sort so they have to keep shielding is helpful here, but you can also laser on opposite side platform esp on DL.

You can drop shine Dair/Bair him if you want, or let go drift out Bair, or WD out DJ Bair. It's tricky to do well, but the drift out invincible Bair isn't terribly hard and covers a decent amount. Marth being tall doesn't do him favors here.

You can space on shield, do a rep and back off and then mix with staying on/double shine or whatever.

Bair, Utilt, get above with DJ Dair, maybe DJ over and Dair landing if you want, angle shield up to shine oos if you want to play that game, wd/dash away sometimes under, back up laser. Some overlaps with Falco but utilt is much worse vs him for example, and Falco isn't usually approaching FH'ing because you can set up on it much easier since it's slower.

LOL you could laser then hit down b, or go for a vertical play.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Ok the free read question was bad, let me phrase it another way. I like setting up a laser in place to get info, but it's not exactly safe to throw out if the opponent lunges at me immediately. Specifically, If I'm kinda close to Marth that can fsmash/da/grab/run up nair me and my dash/WD back seems pretty limited, what are reliable defensive options to play around that? Or is perhaps offense my best defense?

Also against spacies, to combat vs shine OoS do you generally recommend to do super low aerial shield pressure or to space my aerials? I find that it's nowhere near as lenient as shield pressuring anyone else and it's not really drawn out lol.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
The thing with Falco is that you CANNOT wait around as if you are Marth or other characters. It is generally advisable to be doing something, verrry slightly waiting sometimes for data/mixups. So if you get that close to Marth and decide not to shoot, you better have some good conditioning backing you up.
That said, WD back pushes you back fairly far, FH is not that great vs Marth but can get you out of a situation if you need it, and otherwise yeah you have quick offensive threats that pushing help to slow him down.

I believe mid Nair can beat shine OOS(on Falco for sure, Fox you gotta be tight, you can test it out). Super low definitely wins vs both, and spacing makes it much easier. Beware of spacing on Fox such that you get usmashed OOS. Spacing on Falco is great.

Sabri

Smash Rookie
Yo PP,
Ive gotten pretty consistent at SOOS, but everytime I do it I am angling my shield downwards and was wonder what I'm doing wrong since I see a bunch of vods with people doing it without the angling it.

Also I'm really bad at the puff matchup and am wondering if there are any neutral tips you have for it in general.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You don't have to angle down if you just press down after jumping or even during shield stun I guess.

Don't shoot lasers when she is high in the air, she won't fall into them. You don't always need to be dashing and this opens up your Utilt more. Bair is great.

IamMe

Smash Rookie
Mr. PPMD I request your insight;

how to steel (cant find the right word) my mentality against misinputs?
a third of the time my bird refuses to jump or dash (also forward). Mostly happens in matches or its not as obvious in practice. Always feels like you cant jum out of dash dance?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
There is a time during a pivot in which your jump input will get eaten, so watch out for that. For the rest of the scenarios such as wish dash, you should check to make sure you're not still in landing lag from an aerial or something. Look at what you did right before getting stuck for clues.

But yes, mistakes happen. It's best not to beat yourself up about it and learn from it so you can do better next time. Deep breaths and kindness can go a long way.

Squidster

Smash Ace
Hallo

So I've been working on reducing my usage of two main options, full approaching laser and immediate laser in place after a laser. I think I understand in theory why this playstyle in powerful but in practice the game almost feels harder cause I'm not just giving my opponent free execution tests repeatedly lol.

This has resulted in me landing fewer close lasers to my opponent. You either hit a close laser to your opponent cause you moved forward while shooting the laser or they moved forward during a laser in place (as far as the ground game is concerned). I think historically I haven't been good at the further range laser mixups which is why I feel a bit weaker now as I can't just rely on eventually finding laser > shines or laser > grabs from my approaching lasers / repeated lasers in place.

When fighting Marth then do you find that you often get openings from these further range laser mixups (like foxtrot forward and wait > react and stuff) or do you think that the goal is still ultimately to land a close laser, and if so, how do you land a close laser without approaching laser or lasers in place lol.

When fighting fox I'm finding lots of close lasers from platform based first laser interactions which is cool but that doesn't happen much vs Marth.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Vs Marth, I think it's much safer and more effective to land lasers just outside(and then inside) of his tipper jab range. This range puts very large pressure on him and if he swings or even moves back it either gives you a hit or gives you a much better mixup. You can hit good aerials from here, and if he dashes back you can slight laser forward into grab if you want to do that type of mixup(depends on how close you are whether it can be true or not, etc etc as you know).

Squidster

Smash Ace
Is laser > stand still an alternative to laser > dash back or are they mostly for different situations?

I remember you saying you like laser > stand still vs Sheik, do you sometimes like it vs Marth or are you generally not landing lasers in a range where standing still would be better than dashing back?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You can do it, and they can be similar. Obviously you can move farther forward out of stand still, but you are more open to getting hit. If you confirm you need to laser again, it is certainly riskier from standing still.

I prefer to dash back more vs Marth, but both are fine vs him. I'd experiment if I were you.

Squidster

Smash Ace
Hallo!

Been having lots of fun and success since we last talked, playing reactively off lasers that have a bit of distance with my opponent is great I find myself noticing now little people do this whenever I watch other Falcos play lol.

My question is about getting the first laser out. I find myself going to platforms to get the first laser out vs Fox with great success. Vs Marth he's so grounded I tend to be able to give up some space or just play around him swinging in place.

I have trouble vs Falcon. Run up grab kinda feels like Foxes running shine but I can’t go vertical vs him cause Uair is nuts and Nair in place / dash back make it hard for me to fight fire with fire and he also has the ability to move around platforms. Thoughts on what to do before you have the first laser out vs Falcon in these cases?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm not sure how he's hitting you with run up grab. You can always full retreating laser if you REALLY just need to get it out and are concerned, or you can backflip and turnaround laser while threatening Bair(or empty land/waveland away punish him for attacking or grabbing in) if you're looking for something more applicable across matchups and positions. WD back laser also lets you slide back a bit farther, and laser forward if you see during WD lag you didn't need to move away.

It may be the case that Falcon is not respecting your aerials here, so you can yolo Dair him and then threaten it a lot and that should help. Be sure to keep the timing mixed a bit.

roboticphish

Smash Cadet
Hey PP, first of all bless you for single handedly keeping the falco boards alive and taking the time to answer literally every question you get asked. We don't deserve you.

I have a few questions about one very specific interaction in this match: https://youtu.be/OhJuyaAjr5U?t=192

At the 3:12 marker, 2Saint is far above Ginger and starts coming down with an AC Nair. I get destroyed by this against Puff players all the time, and Ginger just straight up loses this interaction and the stock because of it. It looks like Ginger tries to catch Puff's drift back on the nair with a wavedash in uptilt. He's 2 frames slow, and is one frame away from trading with it, 2 frames away from a clean hit.

So I have a few questions regarding this. First, the other option. If Puff drifts into Ginger here, I know that's a bad option because he can shield it, but I don't know what his actual options are out of shield in this position. The AC will put Puff on the ground and none of Falco's OOS (except shine maybe?) can really do anything fast enough to stop her from putting her shield up. So what would he have to work with here besides disengaging entirely?

Secondly, the option that did happen. I know high level melee is ridiculous, but I have a hard time believing that Ginger's best option here was a 1 frame link to an uptilt out of a wavedash. It might have netted him his biggest possible opening, but if you weigh that reward against the risk of missing that 1 frame (considerable), it's not worth it against Puff, who kills off 1 frame misses. So, what could/should he be doing here instead? If a puff coming from high does a drift in, drift back AC nair, is there anything that falco can do to keep pressure on or to punish her for it? Or is this a case where she essentially always has a winning position and Falco's best move is not to play; to back off or hold ground, wait for her to commit to the drift in instead, and go from there (see the first part for my question on this)? It seems like there's no way to dis-incentivize Puff from doing those falling AC nairs, and I don't like the idea that any time she's in this position, Falco needs to just let her do her thing. There must be something he can do, right?

Hope you're well, thanks again for all you do!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Glad to help! =)

Well if he shields, Puff can react and last second slight drift away to avoid the shine and either go for Fsmash, jab, DA, or slight wait/reposition. It can be a real tough spot. I believe shine does beat her jab if she lands on top of you though. But yeah often you want to shield, take nair, then let her hit your shield again and roll or hit her or something. If you think she might wait you could roll/wd/fh/even attack early if you want.

He could have SH'd into Utilt which I'm pretty sure would be faster, or he could have SH'd into DJ Bair, or just DD'd into Bair. He could have backed up with laser to pressure the landing, and maybe called which way she came in with backing up than Dair'ing through her Nair for a punish. Plenty of possibilities, it really just depends on how you want to manage risk reward and conditioning and percent and such.

Thebishop

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BHOP#221
Hi!
I've been playing Falco for a while and now is decided that he'll be my main. I feel confidance with my defense and neutral and my punish game is improving but when the I have to be more aggresive i tend to lose the exchange.
My cuestion is about shield pressure mostly on spacies: Is Dair better than Nair for pressuring shield in a shine shffl aerial? How good is to space an aerial (Bair) to read a shieldgrab into a wavedash shine? I'm trying to do it as frame perfect possible but most of the time I lose the exchange getting grabed or get hit by an aerial OOS.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dair is better if you hit them oos unless they are airborne because it combos better. If they are airborne they just get hit into the ground and can act unless they are above ~36%. Nair hits more in front though and is better vs them jumping at lower percents. If you're spacing with both they're pretty similar.

Spacing aerials on shield is great, but it's not easy to WD shine a shield grab. There is more value in Fsmashing on reaction to shield grab or otherwise repositioning vs aerial OOS and lasering or aerialing depending on how they do it. Anyway, you'll need to wait and observe sometimes regardless because they won't always shield grab.

roboticphish

Smash Cadet
Glad to help! =)

Well if he shields, Puff can react and last second slight drift away to avoid the shine and either go for Fsmash, jab, DA, or slight wait/reposition. It can be a real tough spot. I believe shine does beat her jab if she lands on top of you though. But yeah often you want to shield, take nair, then let her hit your shield again and roll or hit her or something. If you think she might wait you could roll/wd/fh/even attack early if you want.

He could have SH'd into Utilt which I'm pretty sure would be faster, or he could have SH'd into DJ Bair, or just DD'd into Bair. He could have backed up with laser to pressure the landing, and maybe called which way she came in with backing up than Dair'ing through her Nair for a punish. Plenty of possibilities, it really just depends on how you want to manage risk reward and conditioning and percent and such.
This is interesting, it seems to suggest that Puff drifting into Falco here is actually the stronger of the two options in terms of what it lets Falco do. Is this just because shielding generally is a weak position to be in? A CC on the nair would be a way better defensive position to work from, do you know/think it would work on soft nair at 95%?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Shielding is a pretty bad spot for Falco yeah. No laser out, already poor mobility, not the largest moves ever.

Mayyybe true CC would work? I'm confident ASDI down would not work. That is information that should be on ikneedata, but you can also just test it.

Meck

Smash Cadet
Hello!

I'm not sure what's the purpose of Falco utilizing a short or long dash dance

How useful do you think running crouch in neutral against Marth is? I find that I can crouch cancel Marth's dash attack and fair. It loses to grab and sometimes nair. Nair only sometimes, because if the Marth overshoots, I can shine them as they are coming down

xeaid

Smash Rookie
Hey I've got a question I see top Falco players use wavedash in to shine in neutral but I'm not sure what it's meant to combat aside from someone moving slightly forward? Could someone more experienced than me say what it is meant to combat / call out, when to use it in neutral, what to set it up with etc?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hello!

I'm not sure what's the purpose of Falco utilizing a short or long dash dance

How useful do you think running crouch in neutral against Marth is? I find that I can crouch cancel Marth's dash attack and fair. It loses to grab and sometimes nair. Nair only sometimes, because if the Marth overshoots, I can shine them as they are coming down
Falco's dash, even it's longest one, is still pretty short. But longer dashes move you a bit farther and more importantly give you mental space to observe the opponent. Shorter dashes are better for minor repositioning.

Good Marth can just fade back if you come in a lot, and if he sees you crouch I guess he could just do a delayed Fair so he doesn't get punished....but it might be kind of anti-meta. It would be most useful if done pretty sparingly I imagine.

Hey I've got a question I see top Falco players use wavedash in to shine in neutral but I'm not sure what it's meant to combat aside from someone moving slightly forward? Could someone more experienced than me say what it is meant to combat / call out, when to use it in neutral, what to set it up with etc?
WD shine is often used when someone lands from an aerial usually high up. Running into shine is slow and takes too long, but with WD a lot of the lag is in the beginning with the jump and then you shift forward faster. This lets you move in on someone who lands and gives you a shine before they shield or dodge against spacies most primarily. If there are other examples you can link them but that should mostly cover it.

flyboy__

Smash Cadet
Hey PP -- what's your thought process for out of shield options in the ditto? I feel really oppressed by a half decent falco, and whenever I try to laser out of shield to reestablish control, I get hit in the face.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It helps to shield DI away from him if he's on you and you don't want to deal with mixups. From there either laser, roll either way(usually back), or FH are going to help. You may also find Dair/Bair OOS useful. If the other Falco does a high aerial you could angle your shield up to make them hit it sooner and then that will give you some more leniency on your shine OOS. It will help to not always try to act OOS post aerial on shield and sometimes choose to act after shine.

R3_

Smash Cadet
Hey PP and falco thread, long time no talk

Recently I've been struggling with implementing overshoots and undershoots. My question is what are some more ways of over and undershooting that aren't just wavedash forward and then throw out an aerial for overshoot and fade back aerials for undershoots

Also how do I work these into my gameplan, I feel like the normal just jump in aerial approach is ingrained in my memory and I find it really hard to break that habit, any ideas?

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dash into run for a little then overshoot. Don't FF your aerial. SH in then DJ in. SH in DJ back for undershoot, or change drift in DJ to pullback after peak of jump.

Practice your alternate tech and make sure you practice any dashes/lasers you wish to do before doing it so it's like your normal actions.

torontofalco

Smash Rookie
Hello all... just a quick question about a specific situation vs falcon because im trying to maximize my offence against that character. When you land a laser behind falcon's shield (falco facing falcon's back, falco right on top of him, both characters not near an edge, and not on a platform) what are you all going for to open him up? especially if he just holds shield? currently I'm just mixing up immediately shining, very slightly delayed shines after landing, fade back aerials once in while, and sometimes no attack after the laser - just dashing. Main goal for me is to clip him as he wants to jump OOS or catch a roll.

When I think of other options to pressure the shield, I don't know when to throw them in.
For example,

I understand that i could go for grab here.

Pros:
- I can set up more shield pressure if i land the throw
- If falcon rolls to avoid the throw, then I am safe
- if I land a huge combo following throw pressure it will give me a lot of momentum

Cons:

-NO guaranteed combo starter off of throws, and low damage if i don't get anything (vs a character who just really needs like 1 stray aerial to convert hard)
- sometimes landing a combo starter after a throw is very difficult, sometimes puts you in a risky position vs falcon who can blow falco up (unless I'm doing it wrong)
-landing several throws in a row can be equalized by falcon landing one good combo starter/grab (my main reason for sometimes thinking throws from falco are not worth it in the matchup, and just trying to land a strong combo starter like shine/nair/dair)

I can shine--> wavedash back --> dash away

Pros:

- It dodges against pretty much everything falcon can do OOS.
- If falcon is ansy and jumps out with an immediate bair or dair, they wont hit me and it's easy to react and punish the aerial (unless falcon is fading away from falco)
-good sometimes if falcon is cornered, but not so cornered that he can wavedash back to the ledge

Cons:

- Puts space between you and falcon, so if they don't swing or roll back towards me, then i have to think of how to open him up from this new point in time

crouch

Pros:

- If falcon goes for a slow aerial, like stomp or knee, I can mostly react and block in time. sometimes powershield if lucky
- dodges falcon bair, unless he delays it. which again gives me a huge window for something I could do.
- Weaker aerials like falcon nair can get cc'd
-he might be scared of the delayed shine when i am crouching
-if he is still blocking by the time i shine, I am safe

Cons:

- Im not trying to shield vs falcon aerials because falcon's aerial -->dash away/ spaced jabs can set up good situations for him, and then blow falco up if they get grab or stray hit
-if I get baited into expecting an aerial when he short hops OOS, he might be able to get away with empty jump -->grab, or delayed aerial, which can be very strong.
- if i crouch for too long before throwing out a shine or a move, he can get away, shield grab, Up-B, or put me in a position where if i get hit while inputting an attack, then I will buffer a getup attack, and then itll be a free combo starter for falcon.
-strategy kind of not achieving my goals; it encourages me to delay my moves in a way that will clip him before he does anything. which then encourages them to just block longer in response, but my goal is to catch them OOS more often.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I would not advise crouch or grab here. Waiting is okay sometimes to hit him and also catch rolls and also hitting him he legit can't do much about. Mixing shining and not shining on him there is pretty good too. Crouch gives him too much control, and grab gives poor followups and also a chance to just roll or hit you.

torontofalco

Smash Rookie
I would not advise crouch or grab here. Waiting is okay sometimes to hit him and also catch rolls and also hitting him he legit can't do much about. Mixing shining and not shining on him there is pretty good too. Crouch gives him too much control, and grab gives poor followups and also a chance to just roll or hit you.
Thank you ppmd! in general do you think grabbing vs falcon center stage is kind of sub par? not sure i'm doing it right because ive only had decent amount of success when i land a grab near a ledge so i can f-throw them off.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It's okay if you can get a good fthrow tech chase, or it's a smaller level and you can maybe get a real or pseudo uthrow followup. In general I'd say don't mess with it, and if you do it rarely it may work better.

Meck

Smash Cadet
There are certain matchups I can't win unless I remain discipline and setup advantageous positions before I approach. After I win a few games, I want to skip the setup and just approach which results in me losing. It then becomes difficult to switch my mindset. How can I improve my discipline? What type of ways outside of the game can I practice discipline?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you want to improve your discipline in game, notice when you FEEL your focus waning and you become lazy. This is the critical moment. You may notice it late, but in the end noticing is important. Ask yourself what you're thinking and feeling there: why would you play in a way that does not serve your best interests and growth? Think of how you were before and see if you can regain those thoughts and feelings. It's a training process, like building a muscle. You may also find practicing the motions that you need to do in practice helpful to staying focused.

Outside of the game, meditation, less screen time(especially at night), reading books, and exercise have all given myself and others great boosts in focus. I can highly recommend these practices as they together gave me immense focus when I began experimenting with them all. Meditation for example is basically discipline practice. It is about focusing despite your mind wanting to go other places, and training yourself to return your focus to what you think is most important: the present moment.

wyne

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have tips on how to shoot consistent low lasers?

I've been practicing fast-falling at the earliest possible frame (f13 or f14 I think) for tech consistency and speed but I'm curious if some other falcos have a different way of looking at how to master the SHL game. Thanks!

Top Bottom