• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Powershielding Falco lasers

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any good resources on the specific timing of Yoshi's powershield to reflect Falco lasers? I can actually powershield them pretty consistently with other characters like Marth, but with Yoshi's unique shield I cannot for the life of me get the timing right for powershielding with Yoshi, but I see aMSa use it all the time. Getting eaten alive by lasers.

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
Everything you need to know if in Perhapsman's thread "Some Yoshi Information":

An excerpt from there, under the "Parrying and other shield mechanics - > Parrying Explained"

You are invincible until you jump.
  • Note that on frames 5 and 6, Yoshi's invincible body is almost completely covered by his shield. If you hit his shield during these frames, your regular shield will come out early and you will not parry. If you hit his shield during frames 3 and 4, you will powershield the attack and will not be able to jump.
Pictured:
1 regular standing frame (Yellow)
2-frame projectile powershield (jump-cancellable)
2-frame regular powershield (jump-cancellable unless your powershield is hit)
2-frame regular shield (jump-cancellable unless your shield is hit) before the shield actually appears
1 regular shielding frame (Blue)
This is followed by a frame-by-frame GIF of the entire animation.
Using this information, we can identify that there is a two-frame window (the first two frames of Yoshi's shield animation) where you can powershield a projectile and still jump out.

It is very likely that everything you need to know is in that thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom