• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Power Sheild Buffer Applications

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Hello

I wanted to discuss y'all s thoughts on application of power sheild buffers in the neutral game. Credits to Voorhese foe helping me figure this out. We all know that if you dj land out of a parry, your next sheild will be a melee power sheild. Well turns out you can djc attack and land while keeping the power sheild buffered.

Applying it to the neutral. I feel this is great in spacing and baits of aireals. The automatic soft pwoersheilds push away the aggressor. This is great for beating out drills and tilts alike. The sheild di would allow for a sheild release counter. I do not know the frame data but I feel we should be at the advantage.

So what are your thoughts?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
The powershield can be buffered from quite a few things, actually.

Yoshi's unshielding animation takes quite a while (16 frames iirc) and unlike other characters, powershielding doesn't let him cancel it into a grounded attack. This means that despite not having any shieldstun, Yoshi doesn't get a frame advantage vs most aerials, powershield or not. Against grounded moves you would be able to grab or let go of shield and Dsmash or Ftilt, but powershielding would actually be worse than regular shielding in this case, since you'd slide further after the powershield and might not be in range to punish whatever laggy thing they did. Yoshi's powershield is identical to his regular shield in every way except that it looks/sounds different and you slide further.

In most situations you'd be better off parrying, since it's just as fast and gives you a significant frame advantage against most things. If your opponent is going to do something like Fox Dair that beats parrying and crouch cancelling, you'd be better off trying dash back or buffering a Z-shield to slide far away.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
True yoshi cant cancel his power sheild into anything but a spotdodge. But yoshis power sheild in my experience does give a slight frame advantage or at the very least neutral. Yoshi already receives a reduced sheild stun that advantage pluss powersheilds frames has been enough for me to punish l cancelled attacks. with a sheild release.

Regarding Anti parry techniques. Soft sheild will not slide you out of range for a punish. You will push your opponent and be able to slide proportional to that moves knockback. Lets go with fox dair. You can sheild di for the first out of range for him to continue the shine while being in range for tilt.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Most aerials are way too fast for you to punish with a shield release, even without any shield stun.

Fox's aerials on Yoshi's shield or powershield would have the following frame disadvantages:
Nair: -7
Bair: -10
Uair: -9
Dair: -9
Fair: -11

Releasing shield would take 16 frames, and after that your fastest punish would be jab, which takes 3 frames. Dsmash/Ftilt would be the next fastest at 6 frames.

Even with -11 Fair, Fox can still shine before you're even able to start the jab/dsmash/ftilt, let alone hit Fox. Most good characters would be able to do similar frame traps, and they would have similar frame disadvantages after hitting Yoshi's shield.

I do like the idea of sliding to outspace Shine and punishing it with Ftilt/Dtilt/Grab, but if you did this often Fox could just grab after the aerial instead. I can see it working as a mixup, though, especially in situations where the opponent doesn't have a lot of time to prevent you from dashing away from his aerial.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Thanks for the information. I'll definitely take those things into consideration. I will study the frame data for sheild pressure with variance of advantage based on when it hits the sheild. I think a better understanding might help me determine which mix ups utilize in specific cases.

Top Bottom