• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Power Fighters - Who does Mega Man partner with the best?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
2v2
3v3
4v4
Customs
No Customs

This is the place to analyze Mega Man's teamwork. I haven't had much experience playing teams competitively yet, so I'll reserve this space until I have some useful input. Happy discussion!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I feel like he would be great with either another shooter (mega man, rob duck hunt) so they could rack up massive damage from a distance.

Or someone who is fast and powerful with good KO moves like Captain Falcon.

CRDaddyO

Smash Rookie
NNID
CRFamilyMan
For 2v2 my partner and I run Villager/MM since at about 20% a fully charged pocketed F-Smash is a free kill. I've also seen GW/MM that buckets F-Smash for free kills as well.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Ness is always great for stock tanking, and MegaMan's F-Smash is pretty quick in healing Ness.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
My usual doubles partners are a Ness and a ROB. Though the ROB sometimes goes Rosalina and that works well too. I've also teamed with a Palutena for friendlies and that's also solid. Mega Man has good synergy with most of the cast in doubles I think.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Megaman + sonic is amazing. Megaman being a fast faller can have trouble recovering, and Megaman has trouble boxing.
Sonic covers these very well since his spin dash is the ultimate zone breaker and can easily traverse the stage and assist megaman. Also sonic is very good at popping opponents up and Megaman Uair and metal blade is very potent at zoning and controlling vertical space.

The only problem is that this team may have trouble killing. although This team excels at getting roofios.
Megamans U air + Sonic Up-B > Uair is very strong, l but individually sonic only has Fsmash and Usmash
and Megaman has to focus on Edge guards, but edge guard is hard in doubles because team coverage.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Villager. If you have a few seconds, Villager can pocket a charge shot for a one-shot KO. If there's not time for a charge shot, he can still nab a Hard Knuckle or an Air Shooter for a really good projectile. Also, if villager has a Metal Blade in his pocket, Mega Man can still use his.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Villager. If you have a few seconds, Villager can pocket a charge shot for a one-shot KO. If there's not time for a charge shot, he can still nab a Hard Knuckle or an Air Shooter for a really good projectile. Also, if villager has a Metal Blade in his pocket, Mega Man can still use his.
I experimented with this with a friend over the weekend, and it is very deadly in doubles. Getting a full charge shot isn't too difficult against many teams thanks to the zoning capabilities of both characters, and the fact that Villager can pocket charge shots reliably even while engaged. In triples, however, we were easily overwhelmed, and had no way of keeping up with a ZSS/GW/(misc) team.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
From my experience, Mega Man's doubles partner is usually Rosalina and Lucina. They work pretty well together.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Megaman + sonic is amazing. Megaman being a fast faller can have trouble recovering, and Megaman has trouble boxing.
Sonic covers these very well since his spin dash is the ultimate zone breaker and can easily traverse the stage and assist megaman. Also sonic is very good at popping opponents up and Megaman Uair and metal blade is very potent at zoning and controlling vertical space.

The only problem is that this team may have trouble killing. although This team excels at getting roofios.
Megamans U air + Sonic Up-B > Uair is very strong, l but individually sonic only has Fsmash and Usmash
and Megaman has to focus on Edge guards, but edge guard is hard in doubles because team coverage.
Sonic's down-throw is amazing in doubles. Coupled with Mega Man's d-smash, it's a very solid kill option. Unfortunately, it leaves both characters rather open, so it can be difficult to find a time to use it.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Megaman is a VERY supportive character in teams, and functions very differently from his 1v1 matchups. He ABSOLUTELY needs a character he can heavily support with his projectiles while the other does WAY more damage, although megaman is also very potent with his kill moves in most matchups.
Characters he is great with:
C. Falcon, Sonic, Little Mac, etc.
Basically fast and powerful characters who can quickly deal the damage while megaman is off to the side
(also villager, because pocket is AMAZING)
Characters he is terrible with:
Projectile campers (although the links aren't too bad)
Playing as the megaman:
Stay off to the side and if approached use grabs and other attacks and quickly retreat
Playing against the megaman:
KILL HIM FIRST
Have a member of your team focus SOLELY on him, and if villager is on your team, you can completely remove his metal blades/crash bombers by pocketing and taking the item out of pocket and putting it back in (doesn't work with crash bomber, throw it before the thirty second timer goes away). Megaman can only have one of any of his projectiles on the field at a time, so he can't throw the metal blade AT ALL, which destroys his strategy.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
One team I'd really like to try is Mega ManXRobin : they both use an insane amount of different projectiles, and I really think there might be some way to make them work together ( Arcfire -> Fsmash maybe ?)

P.S. : A pocketed MB doesn't make you unable to use another one, strangely. Alvays remember it.

Last edited:

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
Double Megaman is the Way to go guys. Forget everything, it's so amazing. You can double crash bomb and in 2v1, if both use leafshield and one gets the grab, it's huge amount of damage. Might be a little gimmicky, but I had great success with my Megaman Teammate tonight.

CRDaddyO

Smash Rookie
NNID
CRFamilyMan
watch?v=5N0zGsgnpww
Not sure if I'm able to post links yet but at 22:40 the Megaman games start. We are by no means the greatest at doubles and it is only our 2nd doubles tourney but we show our combo a few times as well as some other random fun times.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I've had some success teaming with Bowser, his Bowser Bomb + our Crash Bombers, Metal Blades, and Leaf Shields practically drill through shields, and his UpB does wonders too.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
i'd really like to see high lvl megaman go ham, like ninjalink and zucco

but ive done very good combo strings with yoshi players, they control the air a lot, and i constantly launch my opps into the air, and rack up dmg, and yoshi up airs, and did you know how fast up air comes out??? it's insane. also yoshi's fairs are awesome.

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
In my last tournament I teamed up with Sheik and ROB. It was our first time teaming up in a tourney.
Sheik:
Sheik is good for combo potential, but the damage doesn't build as fast as you want it to be + Sheik lack some KO Power. As MM you become the stock tanker, but due to Sheik's lack in KO potential, you might have to play more aggressive. As a result we created 2 1v1 matches, which worked, but not optimal in team situation.

ROB:
ROB has good KO power and stage control, however he quickly became combo fodder. Rob's projectile game combined with MM's proj game makes a strong team.

In the future I might prefer team characters that have KO potential, but also have great damage output; Captain Falcon or Little Mac come to mind.
Besides them, I would like to try team up with Ness, for stage control and heal options.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Haven't done too many doubles with the Blue Bomber himself. But I think Captain Falcon is a good partner. Mega Man can apply some good projectile pressure for the opponent, while Falcon gets the killing blow. Or, said projectiles can protect the good Captain in a tougher situation.

Two Mega Men isn't too bad either. Double Crash Bombs can hurt. F-Air and B-Airs everywhere. Can't forget double Metal Blades either. But I'm not super competitive, so there's not too much I can add I guess.

Would Samus be a good partner too? Seems like it.

Last edited:

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
Hmm, seems like MM and Fox wouldn't be too bad actually. Fox is a pretty consistent kill char if the person knows how to use him. Fox's nair and dair seem like they would be great for pushing around the other chars into MM's grab game. It seems like the shield pressure and stage control would be amazing between the two.

Also, it seems like MM would help net early kills if you launch an opponent above you. I don't even want to think about being launched while MM and Fox both use uairs for a kill. Pellets amidst a usmash fish also seems kind of scary. Megaman's grab game would also probably be a nice asset to Fox's pressure tools for shield happy opponents.

MM is underrated imo, thinking about making him my secondary. He seems invaluable for doubles. Of course, I've never really been into doubles so I'm just kind of running on thought experiments here. Maybe they just don't work, who knows.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
I believe the best team with mm could be either Ness (you play support / stock tank / healer) Villager, my personal favorite combo with MM (charge fsmash for villager to pocket, killing at 30-40% based on charge / char weight) and even game and watch (similar to villager but less effective imo. Full charge fsmash fills bucket and kills really low)

Last edited:

CRDaddyO

Smash Rookie
NNID
CRFamilyMan
I believe the best team with mm could be either Ness (you play support / stock tank / healer) Villager, my personal favorite combo with MM (charge fsmash for villager to pocket, killing at 30-40% based on charge / char weight) and even game and watch (similar to villager but less effective imo. Full charge fsmash fills bucket and kills really low)
On the G/W note I have played friendlies with a G/W here in my area and fsmash fills bucket and its a free kill at zero as long as the oil sweetspots.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
@ --- --- , why did you close a thread about choosing secondaries for mega (that admittedly had served its purpose) and link to a thread about teams partners? Not the same thing

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
My bad. Fixed.

Peabnut Bubber

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peabnut124
3DS FC
2449-4746-6273
Jigglypuff is an awesome partner. She's already known to be an incredible doubles partner, and Mega Man in particular excels with her. She is small, so she won't be eating any of your projectiles like Bowser. Jiggs will float around, spacing her aerials and avoiding your grounded projectile zoning entirely. Both characters carry the best punish tools in the game (Rest and Mega Upper). One is a heavy fast faller, the other is a lightweight floaty. Both have great aerial mobility. I feel Jiggs and Mega Man have the perfect amount of similarities and differences to compliment each other completely.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I think Ness (and later Lucas) could be a great partner if you're packing crash bomber for obvious reasons. Could work with Danger Wrap as well but is more risky.

Top Bottom