• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound V- Discussion, Donations, and Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
If and when I host melee tournaments this Summer, I will definitely promote donating a percentage to y'all. <3

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Guys lets keep this topic about Pound 5 and not things that are not supposed to be talked about on Smashboards anywhere.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Dang, people must've been making some real personal statements

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
just post a new post regarding the matter, dude. people always skip to the last page.

So yeah....Chibo's point is still unanswered, what happened to the approximately $4000.00 that is unaccounted for, Plank?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Plank really should answer Chibo, as he brings up a very good point. Everyone has already acknowledged that what Plank did was dumb, but all he needs to do is show proof that his mistakes cost him ALL of the money, not 75% of it.

Cook

Smash Master
I mean, if you just look at the number of entrants for Brawl and Melee singles and teams and figure up what that would have brought in if everyone registered early when it was $10 cheaper then that comes to over $16000.
Brawl singles: 151x35=5285
Brawl doubles: 96x15=1440
Melee singles: 243x35=8505
Melee doubles: 162x15=2430
All of that totals to: 17660
17660 in revenue minus 15000 in expenses leaves at least 2660 for prize money.

Yeah, some money was returned as setup discounts, but the discount was $15, so 2660/15=~177. There was obviously nowhere near that many setups, plus many setups were already provided, plus some people gave back their discount. I would be surprised if more than 30 people (and probably less than that) got a setup discount.
30x15=450 returned as setup discount (my estimate, which I consider conservative)
2660-450=2210 for prize money.

Also, the earlier calculations were based on the signup price before January. After January it cost an extra $10 to enter, and I'm sure a large portion of the entrants registered after this point.

In addition, there was a $20 spectator fee. I don't know how many people, if any, paid this, but surely some did. Idk, if the tournament really did just cost $15000 then I don't see how it all adds up.

tl;dr version: I'm sure that this is just a worse version of what Chibo already did in a different thread, but I didn't read that post and I wanted to see for myself what the numbers looked like, and figured I might as well post what I found! :psycho:

GOTM

Smash Champion
tl;dr version: I'm sure that this is just a worse version of what Chibo already did in a different thread, but I didn't read that post and I wanted to see for myself what the numbers looked like, and figured I might as well post what I found! :psycho:
Yes, it is, but whatever it's cool. :)

Plank, just make a report dude, and show us.

If you really don't want to do that, do this. There has obviously been one major facet of the costs for this thing that people are missing. Almost every calculation so far has had a chunk of about $4,000 of extra revenue in it. If you can't generate a whole report, would you be able to provide some info (anything), that could somehow show where all this extra money (that you said you spent), went to?

I don't want an answer like, "You don't know how much extra supplies go into running a tournament of this size.", because:

1. Yes I do, I've co-ran one
and
2. That's like me claiming an extra $5,000 on my taxes and telling the government, "You don't know how much extra costs go into running a house of this size."

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
That's just one of them, I did a bunch of calculation posts. None of them are going to be perfectly exact, but seeing as most of them all lie within around 3500-4500 leftover, it still shows a lot is leftover, and even tiny errors or estimated numbers aside, that wouldn't account for multiple thousands of dollars, a couple hundred at most.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Totally off topic here.
But Xenogears is the best RPG ever made.

Anyways. I think every TO should have clear transparency from now on and tell the players exactly where all of their money for venue is being spent. Not just to avoid another Pound 5 from happening, but this happens all the time where players are concerned the TO is profiting literally a ridiculous amount of money and when that happens players start to question to morals of that TO. Off the top of my head its happened with OC3 and most recently ROM. Both of those were cleared up though.
But to prevent this, I would like to suggest TOs that host large tournaments to completely be straight forward from the beginning and make a list of how much things are costing them as they spend it so by the end of the tournament the community knows exactly where everything went.

So Fatal

Smash Master
Totally off topic here.

Anyways. I think every TO should have clear transparency from now on and tell the players exactly where all of their money for venue is being spent. Not just to avoid another Pound 5 from happening, but this happens all the time where players are concerned the TO is profiting literally a ridiculous amount of money and when that happens players start to question to morals of that TO. Off the top of my head its happened with OC3 and most recently ROM. Both of those were cleared up though.
But to prevent this, I would like to suggest TOs that host large tournaments to completely be straight forward from the beginning and make a list of how much things are costing them as they spend it so by the end of the tournament the community knows exactly where everything went.
I agree with Laijin for once ^.^

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Totally off topic here.

There's really no need to do this. If people want to hear some numbers and such, TOs are more than welcome to provide what they can but sometimes drilling too much information is sort of invasive in a way. As long as all of the players deserve what's rightfully there, then it's all fine and the public has what they should have. That's what sets the Pound 5 situation apart from others, is that player's money is missing and we/them have a right to know where it is exactly.

Sometimes TOs don't want to say some information like how much various staff members are paid, so then others don't start questions like well how come I wasn't paid that much or complain where venue fee money is going compared to what they want, etc. It's sort of like why it's inappropriate sometimes to ask someone how much money they make at a job, same thing.

Lobos

Smash Master
Some of those numbers are wrong lol

oh and I didn't get paid for being on staff

also this strawberry smoothie from dunken donuts is good :denzel:

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
As long as the payouts make sense it is really no ones business how much the TO makes. If the TO gets a free venue and lies and over charges the venue fee that's a different story

Laijin

Smash Hero
As long as the payouts make sense it is really no ones business how much the TO makes. If the TO gets a free venue and lies and over charges the venue fee that's a different story
Whats the difference if they lied or didn't lie about the venue fee? You just said it doesn't matter if the TO makes money, as long as the payouts are good.
Of course its bad to lie about stuff like that, but if you don't care how much the TO makes then I don't really see a point in caring if they lie about something like that.
Explain. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom