• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound V- Discussion, Donations, and Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

idea

Smash Master
I didn't even know about these until the final bill was charged and I woke up and my bank account was nearly overdrawn when it I was still under the impression it should've still had thousands of dollars for payments. This is also how I didn't have a choice of even paying out the prizes, the money was already taken.
i think this part is going to make a big difference to a lot of people. it seems like the common imagination of what happened was, plank is sitting in his room, looking at his debt to the hotel on one piece of paper, and the prizes to be paid out on the other...ehhhh i'll go with the hotel, he says. very different from, oh hey, the hotel took it all already, wtf.

also yeah, do more tournaments :)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Well it's not literally divided up equally. They are still paying out the same percentages as pound was supposed to be paid out. So, although unlikely, if by some means it reached somewhere near what was lost, everyone will get what they rightfully earned.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
That sucks its divided equally. :( I mean i'm still going to go to shell shocked.
If PP won 2000, and the total donations received is only 5000, PP will receive the percentage that he was owed. No need to go on with your redundant and boring tirade about how much you hate brawl.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Eggm, shut yo big chair breaking *** up LOL

Plank - If you're interested in hosting a Brawl event at CP too then that be tight, I'll help with the buzz and let players know, it is a great venue and promoting the 5 dollar venue as a useful charity to our community would be good.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If PP won 2000, and the total donations received is only 5000, PP will receive the percentage that he was owed. No need to go on with your redundant and boring tirade about how much you hate brawl.
But Brawl sucks. :troll:

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
But Brawl sucks. :troll:
I agree that Brawl sucks, it's just overdone, and this isn't the place for it.

I agree that some people in the Brawl community suck, it's just overdone, and this isn't the place for it.

There is, however, nothing wrong with wanting to know the whereabouts of money you deserve. Their reactions were justified, given plank's absence. As I've said before, I'd rather be annoying than a door mat for anyone to walk over. If the melee players want to glorify rolling over and submitting then I pity them.

Moonshine

Smash Cadet
I donated, hope this fund works out. Especially if everyone just threw in like $5

-hungrybox

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think the guy was complaining because if he donates, he doesn't want to donate to the Brawl players. He only cares that top players from his game gets paid. Thats fine though, for people that feel that way, they can just donate directly to that player. Hopefully all players will have the integrity to stop accepting donations once they reach the amount they were originally owed.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
The donation thing sounds great and it is good that you are helping out and trying to keep incidents like this from happening again. The whole bbr checking up local TOs to short out their venue cost seems kind of odd.

Composeur

Smash Ace
This is definitely a HUGE improvement in the situation. I'm so relieved.

Thank you, Plank, for finally explaining the situation properly. It sounds like you really didn't expect a disaster of this magnitude to happen, and I think that's been the most major (legitimate) concern the community at large has had. It really would've been a good idea to make that post weeks ago, though. But what's done is done.

JV, you really did an awesome thing organizing this thread! I seriously think you should make an exception for Armada in your call for players to turn over money that's already been donated to them on an individual basis, though. His attendance at the tournament was--and will be, at future tournaments--contingent upon him being able to afford the cost of his flights, which were undoubtedly much costlier than any other prizewinner's. Also, he is in actual debt now because, not knowing any better, he banked on that prize money when he had a friend pay for the cost of his travel to his next major U.S. tournament.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I think plank hosting tournaments would be a good idea.

The winners can still get their cash

the brawl or melee scene in planks region gets a boost ( I dunno what he'll host)

the community learns a lesson from this experience, and can become more mature.

that being said I really approve of this thread, and the fund.

if i had a paypal i would donate

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Plank, everyone just had a strong case of mad when that ish first went down. We still love ya bro. All that built up rep is coming back to help you I guess :)

Host something in MD/VA. You know we'd come out full force. Think of it this way: whatever damage this whole Pound V fiasco did is incomparable to the damage MD/VA would receive if you left our community. Your events keep our region afloat lol. Plus you are a hella chill and nice guy <3

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
1. It wouldn't be fair to split the money equally between brawl and melee players because the attendance between the two games was not equal. The distribution would have to be weighted based on that.

2. Eggm wasn't trying to incite any barlw vs melee nonsense. He was saying that he would want to prioritize money to the people that weren't being *****es this entire time.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
1. It wouldn't be fair to split the money equally between brawl and melee players because the attendance between the two games was not equal. The distribution would have to be weighted based on that.

2. Eggm wasn't trying to incite any barlw vs melee nonsense. He was saying that he would want to prioritize money to the people that weren't being *****es this entire time.
It's not being split equally, factoring in the exact percentage of the TOTAL pot that each player won, whether brawl or melee, takes care of the "splitting issue".

For instance, Dr. PP won 45% of the melee pot, which would factor out to be somewhere like, I dunno, 29 or 30% of the TOTAL pot.

Everyone still gets what they deserve, but I understand that certain people want only to donate to a certain game...

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
To make up for the money, you're going to need a lot of donations. And how will teams work? Armada's winnings are quite a bit.

Plus, i personally think it's quite a demand on players to donate, especially since 200 some players already paid money to attend Pound5 to begin with. They might not have placed, but their fees were supposed to go to the winners anyway.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'd be willing to donate, but I agree with Eggm in that I only want to donate to the Melee prize winners. No offense to the Brawl players, I just don't see why part of my money should go to a community that I frankly don't care very much about.

Cook

Smash Master
Lol, I like how the justification that these Melee players are giving for wanting the donations split up is that some of the Brawl players had a "bad" attitude when they found out that there would be no prize money. I don't see any Brawl players *****ing about where their money is going, they seem to be fine with splitting things up proportionately, even though over half of their money is going to Melee because Melee had a lot more entrants. The Brawl community is so immature and the Melee community is so mature!!! Just... just lol.

I guess I'll donate $5 even though I went to the event and spent $1 million dollars on it already, haha.

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
Well while many people might disregard the opinion of a mere spectator, I'll post anyway.

It's really quite the unfortunate situation for both sides... Plank took a huge gamble and lost. That being said, ANYONE on this site would have done exactly what he did with the money, he literally had NO other options. You can't tell a hotel "Oh sorry, I had to pay the winners of my video game tournament so yeah you can go ahead and put me 30k in debt", life doesn't work that way. YES, you got screwed if you paid to go to this event and you won any sort of money. Welcome to life, you WILL get screwed plenty of other times, and after you do, you'll realize just how screwed Plank was from this.

Okay, had to get that out of my system, now onto the current discussion over Brawl v Melee splits? The attendance of both games is really the main factor here.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I believe JV's intent is to split the money proportionally-
JV said:
So lets say the Ally was supposed to get 12% of the total prize pool based on his singles and doubles placements. He will then get 12% of all the donations we receive.
So yea. It is important though that at the very least anyone who already received donations voice how much because it would effect how the cumulative donations payout.

TKila

Smash Apprentice
well i understand a little bit Plank's decision, cause i am a TO in my country D:

anyway.... i think i could help D: but i dunno how to use PAYPAL :S if someone can teach me i could help in donations :)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
This whole thing got way out of hand, although I can understand people being (too) upset and Plank in turn getting (too) defensive. I feel that this central donation topic is a step in the right direction and if Plank is willing to make amends he should very much get that second chance. He did a lot for the community and got things done when it comes to running major events, even if he had his differences with people and simply did not make a smart choice with this particular contract. At least, to me it seems like he got into something that was too risky rather than anything else; I don't buy that it's a scam or anything of the sort. The whole ordeal will definitely leave a sour aftertaste for everyone involved, but the vids aren't any less good and if we can bounce back from it, it doesn't necessarily have to be a black page in smash history. More like a learning experience.

Melee vs Brawl seems silly and immature in this context. It's about rewarding people who rightfully earned money at the same tournament. Of course, the money should and will be divided the same way it would have been under normal circumstances. My point is that this isn't a time to be petty about who you want to donate to, be it on the individual or community level.

Will also see if I can find a way to donate myself (don't have PayPal).

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
would this be a good time to request one for Winterfest and SNES? Since the exact same situation happened with no one paying out

(M2K used my computer to post this, so it's under my name, but his post)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
This topic is a direct response to a large scale drama and several topics already being made where people are trying to organize donations. It's a call being made for specifically this situation, so you probably shouldn't derive a policy from it. In this case it seems wise and urgent to regulate donations, but Smashboards staff typically doesn't pick up the financial pieces after every tournament that fails to deliver.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'd be willing to donate, but I agree with Eggm in that I only want to donate to the Melee prize winners. No offense to the Brawl players, I just don't see why part of my money should go to a community that I frankly don't care very much about.
Well there really isn't a way to do this if people really wanted this for either community. It's put in for both or nothing.

No way going around that.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Laijin you just earned 3,000 dollars from your occupation

but u get 0

u wouldn't be 2 happy
We had this discussion in the other thread about considering smash as your occupation...its not a very good "job". lol.
Don't wanna get into that. anyways...

But besides that point, you can't expect to get 3k from your fellow smashers from another tournament. Thats not the community's fault and they have no responsibility to make sure you get your money(from winter fest). Just be happy people are donating for Pound 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom