• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* V.5: - November 9th, 2013 - Frederick, MD Featuring M2K, Scorp, and MD/VA's Best!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
this is the problem w/ smashboards.... people that aren't even in our community are able to say w/e the **** they want with no repercussions because they "aren't doing anything wrong" according to the mods. it's no wonder people are dipping and headed for facebook, cuz we don't have to deal with lil pieces of **** there. just the people that matter.

big sleep

չչչ
You know the old me would reference a certain apex melee tournament that had grand finals take over an hour, but I'm not going to do that because you're a Boro player like me and we're cool lol.
dude, feel free to... you play bawrl exclusively and i play ****ing goddamn melee brothers deluxe

so yeah, my infinite condolences to you and your future children

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
^this isn't appropriate in any thread, ever. you aren't helping.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Plank Id pay 10 grand to keep brawl out of pound forever so you just keep all the money Im sure most of the melee winners from P5 wouldnt mind

Tesh

Smash Hero
Anyway, I was initially baffled when I saw this thread. I've since cooled down and thought "if the big winners at this tournament have made peace with this, I guess I shouldn't care". So if people like Ally and M2K are cool with what he did, then its no big deal I guess. In the end, its about the competition, not the prize I guess.

I guess the Melee community's top players don't care anyway and most of the money lost was theirs.

In the future I'd definitely like to see proof that this guy paid it all back though. With a new Smash coming out, I'd hate for this to be a big white flag letting people know this community is full of people willing to bend over and just take it.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
The thing is, in the old thread he showed proof when asked. People still ********? Meh, it's smash boards.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
I don't get how people are ignorant enough to not realize that people could be struggling. We're not all lucky to be debt free without worries. Some of us have things like credit card debt, student loans, car notes, rent, etc etc to deal with just to live. Some of us are barely staying afloat.
To be ignorant to that is not even worth arguing with someone over.

And yeah agreed. I'm gonna step up a lot this year in time for this event.

I work two jobs and have 3 roommates. I'm lucky to break even at the end of the month.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

KageMurphy

Smash Master
this event is happening and its gonna be big, all the ******** is for nothing but it is entertaining

#cantstopthistourny

#crymore

:017:

dkuo

Smash Lord
Cattlebow said:
You don't give one more chance to the guy who lost ten grand.
interesting philosophy
however, i feel bad for any friend of yours who loses ten grand on accident and looks to you for assistance

also most of what you wrote didnt address cyrains 'anger' post. but whatever, you left the thread, so ¯\_()_/¯

I wonder how many of the angry people in this thread are going?
eventually all of them will go to a later pound, when they begrudgingly realize that plank + the pound series has been redeemed over the years and has ushered in a new golden age for melee!!!

well, i can dream for now

D

Deleted member

Good **** Jon. Doing this takes a lot of courage and personal development. I was always hoping that you'd bring it back. We might just be two people that play a game but I'm proud of you man. That you put it on my birthday means I'm 100% there.

Mistakes happen. That's alright. Not learning from them is not alright. Huge props.

Armada

Smash Lord
Plank: I do think it is good that you finally are trying to do something that could help those people out.
What, for me, was probably the worst thing was not being broke for 6 months (even if the comunity helped me a lot <3) it was the fact that I and probably others did not even get a real apology in the first place.

It is 2,5 years ago and Pound V is a long time ago so it's not like I care about it much anymore. I just think you should have been giving us a real apology. Now I happen to read an appology in a thread 2,5 years after in such a random way.

Well it is a step trying to make things right so I support you there.

If Im included in this "paying back money" then if Im ever in the line for that I want those money to go directly to the people that donated for my flight + helped me out when I didn't get any money. The leftovers can be saved until last since I think the people that helped me out deserve money before I do.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Good **** Jon. Doing this takes a lot of courage and personal development. I was always hoping that you'd bring it back. We might just be two people that play a game but I'm proud of you man. That you put it on my birthday means I'm 100% there.

Mistakes happen. That's alright. Not learning from them is not alright. Huge props.
Thanks Max :) Much appreciated. Look forward to seeing you again.

Armada, is there anywhere I can find a list of who helped you so I can have that for the future? I will definitely honor your request. I'm sorry for any hardships you endured, you got hit the hardest out of everyone and I do truly feel awful about that. Once those people get paid back, I will still try to get you the rest of what you've earned! There's been so much (non smash-related stuff) going on in my life, It took me a long time to get to a place in my life where I felt comfortable enough to try and make this right with everyone. Hopefully it works out.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer

Finally going to meet you GG lets play.

Armada

Smash Lord
^ ud be first in line LOL honestly.
Since people helped me out so much I don't mind if Im the one last in line (Not including people helping me but myself personally). But thanks anyway dude =)

Armada, is there anywhere I can find a list of who helped you so I can have that for the future? I will definitely honor your request. I'm sorry for any hardships you endured, you got hit the hardest out of everyone and I do truly feel awful about that. Once those people get paid back, I will still try to get you the rest of what you've earned! There's been so much (non smash-related stuff) going on in my life, It took me a long time to get to a place in my life where I felt comfortable enough to try and make this right with everyone. Hopefully it works out.
It was a specific thread for each one of those causes so we should be able to find it. I can't find them now but I have tons of stuff to take care of atm but we should be able to find them when it gets closer. Yeah I hope everything works out good too.

Most people seems to feel open with giving you a second chance. So go for it!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Since people helped me out so much I don't mind if Im the one last in line (Not including people helping me but myself personally). But thanks anyway dude =)

It was a specific thread for each one of those causes so we should be able to find it. I can't find them now but I have tons of stuff to take care of atm but we should be able to find them when it gets closer. Yeah I hope everything works out good too.

Most people seems to feel open with giving you a second chance. So go for it!

Cool I will find it when the time comes.

I put the 25% down payment on the venue today.

Date 100% officially locked.

Armada

Smash Lord
It's good to be nice, great feeling, but you gotta take care of yourself first. Aren't you in need for EVO right now? We all know you're amazing.
Yeah I guess sometimes I think a bit to little about myself. I basically live after the philosophy if others are happy Im. Which in some cases can make me go a bit to far (like everything basically).

Yeah people are helping me out for EVO but so far some more is still needed. Don't know what to say when people help me out that much.... love them but it feels like I get to much help sometimes.

Thanks man!
You are super good too. Go and win some of the big events now too =D

S l o X

Smash Champion
NE showing interest.

If they do end up going, I'll join and we'll come back to destroy you guys in the SALTY RUNBACK crew battle. (I'ma ether Ether)

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
You know, even after knowing that Pound was considered one of the greatest tournaments, i can't believe its being revived! Someone so huge in Melee's past is something I can now experience!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Awesome geof :)

I would like to know how people feel about the $20 singles entry fee? My reasoning for the $20 was that the higher entry fee might provide some motivation for higher level players to travel from out of state and come since the pot would be bigger, and since it's so far away the extra $10 wouldn't stop many people from coming since it's a bigger regional tourney. What do you all think? Should it stay $20, move down to $15, maybe down to $10? What do you think will be best for the community and/or attendance?

Also, I am working a lot of overtime at my job just to have money to front for the venue. I found out yesterday there is an additional $500 deposit that I get back after the tourney. I'll work and save money to make sure I can cover everything myself!

I am keeping all the venue documents, receipts, and proofs in a folder and will scan everything and keep everything totally public. Again, with the registration/venue money and such everything will be done in person and I won't be handling the money. The venue will be paid for up front by me and i'll just get reimbursed the day of. It's looking like the total venue costs will come close to $800, so if less than 80 people come, I am okay with taking the hit. It's worth it to try and get some credibility back and take a step towards getting some people the money back.

Hope to see you guys here! It will be a blast.

Bones0

Smash Legend
My only request is that we turn the lights out for GFs. Everyone brush up on your Pokemon theme song lyrics.

$20 is a bit steep for entry. I would at least lower it to $15, otherwise you run the risk of actually getting less prize money because of people not entering or attending at all. Hyped either way!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Man, with the new date this tournament will be happening while I'm in Hong Kong. Looks like my *Pound* attendance record will be staying at 0%.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
wow that sucks mike.

noted, fortune/bones. i will probably lower it down to the $15. i was thinking similarly. at least then its still a bit more than say, a xanadu, but not too much more

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the $15 entry. It gives more flex room for lower level players such as myself to enter other events without cringing at the all the money flying away, but it's still more than most tournaments so it will attract higher level players as well.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
feel free to check the event out on facebook and confirm/show interest there! it's under #V.5 (hbox's awesome idea). hbox, pp, and eggz all said they were going on there. let's doooo thisssss

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
sweet. yea i'm going to switch it to $15/$10. little more than a normal local but not too much. it would be super awesome to see old (and new) faces from fl, nc, and NE at this. thanks for the interest!!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I feel like since the tourney is only 25 mins or so from the mason Dixon line, we should have a civil war crew battle. North vs south. Lol. Also pm will be here, jcaes will run a tourney. Vgbc/Xanadu is gonna lend me their 10 TVs for this... Plus the locals who bring them... If its lookin like a ton of peeps I can look into securing more. Much much melee will be had on this fine day. Its hard to go to 2-3 day nationals sometimes and keep your attention so im excited to be able to have a bigger tourney in one day. we are going to rock it. I am eager and determined to remind people why my tournies are ****. ^_^

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
I feel like since the tourney is only 25 mins or so from the mason Dixon line, we should have a civil war crew battle. North vs south. Lol. Also pm will be here, jcaes will run a tourney. Vgbc/Xanadu is gonna lend me their 10 TVs for this... Plus the locals who bring them... If its lookin like a ton of peeps I can look into securing more. Much much melee will be had on this fine day. Its hard to go to 2-3 day nationals sometimes and keep your attention so im excited to be able to have a bigger tourney in one day. we are going to rock it. I am eager and determined to remind people why my tournies are ****. ^_^

Welp because of this I will try to make it to my second Pound series tournament.

If I am able to make it I will bring atleast 1 TV and possibly 2-3 Wii's with Project M.

Top Bottom