• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Recovery Trick

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Hey everyone, I was just playing with a friend of mine who has been labbing ivysaur and he thought he had discovered something new that could make her tether recovery a lot less painful. Essentially, when you're forced to hop onstage, you can fall back at the right timing to slide offstage, which refreshes your jump/tethers and cancels any lag as you can now use an aerial right at the ledge. For all intents and purposes it is ledge-cancelling the forced hop, and while it won't work against attacks that can hit you before you touch the stage, often players wait to force you up and then they attempt to punish you on the stage, so this would allow you to avoid that if you mix this up properly.
I don't know if this was already something you guys knew about, but I figured I'd post it in case anyone found it useful.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
JZ and Sothe definitely do this. It's a big reason I still have trouble in the MU since they've conditioned me to expect it but few Ivysaurs actually utilize it at all.

Last edited:

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Okay, do you guys find that it makes it any harder to punish her recovery when they do it?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
If you're not expecting it for sure. It adds another dimension to her recovery options and is all-around pretty great. It only really loses to aerials from ledge afaik so it's match-up dependent. Like Falcon it really doesn't matter that much how you manage it; you're getting knee'd either way. But someone like Sheik where the best option is to ledge stand and grab, it's hard to punish. Snake actually can make it impossible tho.

Last edited:

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Cool, thanks for all the info! This definitely seems like something I should start practicing then, but I do need to learn which matchups it will be harder/impossible to use safely in.

Miniboulet

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, not the first time i hear that but do you have a video where an Ivy player does that ? Just to see the timing

Verduyn

Smash Cadet
It's essentially the same concept as ledge cancelling out of special fall. If you are right in saying JZ does it then his sets against Anther will be a good example of it although I can't think of a time when he has done it

Top Bottom