• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential of Fire Arrows

Nullatrum

Smash Rookie
I see a lot of potential in fire arrows but am intrigued as to why I hardly see fire arrows being used, I especially can see it benefit better on small stages like battlefield and yoshi's story. The reason being is that I see it as a substitute for YLink's other projectiles while trying to maintain quick speeds. It has the quickest startup out of all 3 projectiles, but more importantly it doesn't completely kill his momentum while charging it.

It's hitstun may not last as long as the bomb, but it is still hitstun, and opens a window to finish the opponent with a nair or dair or whatever is appropriate. How come FArrows aren't integrated as much then? The only real con I see is not as long of hitstun.

I'm not saying to completely substitute bombs and boomerangs, those definitely should still be used as boomerangs hit like a truck and bombs provide an even longer hitstun, I just think arrows are an ideal "on-the-go" projectile when you're being pressured and don't have time to pull a bomb or charge a boomerang.

Discuss

JemTheScrub101

Smash Cadet
I always found them useful to start off a combo and to confuse your opponent, but they are pretty situational. I am also curious as to why they are rarely used, if at all.

crucifix

Smash Rookie
IMO because they're not exactly the most reliable projectile, I like to pull them out to throw off my opponent. More defensively than offensive. Similar to how I might air dodge back on stage to avoid a hit and pull the hookshot out to push them further away from me when falling. It can cancel out their possible punish.

They are also great for situational edgeguards. I've arced an arrow before that hit a shiek and stunned enough for me to nair stage spike them on pokemon stadium. idk. yl is a creative monster. Potential lies within every option he has.

Nullatrum

Smash Rookie
idk to me it doesn't seem like it can be that incosistent if you just kinda memorize the arcs the arrow goes in with no-charge and partial charges, how would it be unreliable?

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
I use them mostly in a rushdown situation or if I'm playing on the defensive, and I always mention to people about how his arrows are often forgotten about, when they can be used in pretty creative, generally surprising play when used.
I don't really know why most people disregard them as often as they do, likewise.

rhan

Smash Hero
I use arrows when I'm recovering. Usually when I'm knocked away. Once I'm coming back after my jump I charge the arrow and try to aim it at the ledge to prevent edge hogging (or at least deter it).

I also use arrows to block projectiles like Samus' blast.

And I use them to turn around in mid air.

Arrows are legit.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Fire arrows are great I use them when someone is trying to shield my projectiles, I just aim at his feet and poke his shield that way.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
OP is right. Definitely a good on-the-go option for an approach; I short hop fire arrow :). Good hitstun lets me follow up.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
OP is right. Definitely a good on-the-go option for an approach; I short hop fire arrow :). Good hitstun lets me follow up.
In fact, I'd like to add that near ledges at decently high percents (maybe ~ 100-110?) when I short hop in their face and fire an arrow, after landing I can follow up with a dsmash: his best-not-dair killing option. Or an ftilt if you want, or a grab if you're feeling frisky (funny word lol). Even better on small stages. Plus fire arrows are stylin'.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
In fact, I'd like to add that near ledges at decently high percents (maybe ~ 100-110?) when I short hop in their face and fire an arrow, after landing I can follow up with a dsmash: his best-not-dair killing option. Or an ftilt if you want, or a grab if you're feeling frisky (funny word lol). Even better on small stages. Plus fire arrows are stylin'.
EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't a full hopped fire arrow lead well into a nair as you fall down? Feels like a quick, if situational, way to set up an edgeguarding opportunity.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I played Ylink when I accidentally signed up for melee at a local tournament. I'm in no way a good ylink player, but the arrows helped me tremendously in dealing with falcon (albeit i still lost). The hitstun was usually good enough to nair them, and whenever it wasn't, it was safe, I didn't ever get punished for aerial firearrows.

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't a full hopped fire arrow lead well into a nair as you fall down? Feels like a quick, if situational, way to set up an edgeguarding opportunity.
Yup, you can full hop arrow into any aerial.

SuperMarioKarter

Smash Rookie
The arrows briefly leave hurtboxes on the ground and can block Doc's pills that way. It's silly but I've thrown off my friend who plays Doc a few times with it.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
The arrows briefly leave hurtboxes on the ground and can block Doc's pills that way. It's silly but I've thrown off my friend who plays Doc a few times with it.
Weird. guessing it wouldn't work with transcendent priority moves like falco lasers?

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
No, it would definitely work against falco lasers because it's a hurtbox rather than a hitbox. Although it's too low to be relevant in most cases. I'd have to double check all that.

Top Bottom