• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Footstool -> Jab Lock Combo

PK_Love

Smash Rookie
Hi, I recently started to secondary Falco and I am obsessed with footstool combos because I main Lucas. So I was looking for one and noticed at 0% these footstool set-ups work

Variation 1: Up throw -> Up-Air -> Footstool -> Sour Down air -- stops working at weight value 98 -- Deals 25%

Variation 2: Up throw -> Footstool -- Stops working at weight value 96 -- Deals 16%

For weight values refer to this table: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Weight

These setups have a very small percent range for example:
Variation 1 works on Bowser at 0-3% and Variation 2 works at 0-11%

You can extend both locks with up to two forward tilts adding another 9% each which totals at 43% and 34% maximum potential damage respectively

I tested Variation 1 on these characters and it worked:
  • Bowser
  • Donkey Kong
  • Ike
I tested Variation 2 on these characters and it worked:
  • Mario
  • Pit
  • Wii Fit Trainer
The Punishes afterwards can be standard Falco combos but the best once I found were:

If in the middle of the stage:
  • Down Tilt -> FH Up-Air -> F-Air/B-Air -- Potential Edgeguard opportinty -- 31%/35%
  • Down Tilt -> FH Up-Air -> Up-Air -- Potential Juggle opportunity -- 32%
  • Falling Up-Air -> Up-Tilt -> Up-Air - B-Air -- 41%
Near Edge:
  • Edge of Down Tilt -> SH D-Air -> FF -> Double Jump D-Air/B-Air to cover Oppenent Jump/Recovery and get a Spike/Stage Spike
  • (Opponent has bad recovery) Jab Cancel -> F-Air -- Please refer to here: https://youtu.be/G6X759rIxBU?t=545
Feeling Risky:
  • Grab -> Pummel -> Forward Throw -> 3 Lasers to Jab Lock if they didn't Tech
  • (Near Edge) Down Tilt -> FH Down Air -> FF -> Footstool
I haven't been able to test escape options.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
Hi, I recently started to secondary Falco and I am obsessed with footstool combos because I main Lucas. So I was looking for one and noticed at 0% these footstool set-ups work

Variation 1: Up throw -> Up-Air -> Footstool -> Sour Down air -- stops working at weight value 98 -- Deals 25%

Variation 2: Up throw -> Footstool -- Stops working at weight value 96 -- Deals 16%

For weight values refer to this table: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Weight

These setups have a very small percent range for example:
Variation 1 works on Bowser at 0-3% and Variation 2 works at 0-11%

You can extend both locks with up to two forward tilts adding another 9% each which totals at 43% and 34% maximum potential damage respectively

I tested Variation 1 on these characters and it worked:
  • Bowser
  • Donkey Kong
  • Ike
I tested Variation 2 on these characters and it worked:
  • Mario
  • Pit
  • Wii Fit Trainer
The Punishes afterwards can be standard Falco combos but the best once I found were:

If in the middle of the stage:
  • Down Tilt -> FH Up-Air -> F-Air/B-Air -- Potential Edgeguard opportinty -- 31%/35%
  • Down Tilt -> FH Up-Air -> Up-Air -- Potential Juggle opportunity -- 32%
  • Falling Up-Air -> Up-Tilt -> Up-Air - B-Air -- 41%
Near Edge:
  • Edge of Down Tilt -> SH D-Air -> FF -> Double Jump D-Air/B-Air to cover Oppenent Jump/Recovery and get a Spike/Stage Spike
  • (Opponent has bad recovery) Jab Cancel -> F-Air -- Please refer to here: https://youtu.be/G6X759rIxBU?t=545
Feeling Risky:
  • Grab -> Pummel -> Forward Throw -> 3 Lasers to Jab Lock if they didn't Tech
  • (Near Edge) Down Tilt -> FH Down Air -> FF -> Footstool
I haven't been able to test escape options.
I'm exactly like you. I main Lucas and I love his dair lock and whenever I picked up Falco (like 4 months ago), I tried to see if he had a Dair/Jab lock combo. I didn't have any luck so I just went back to doing normal Falco things. But this is a really great find. I've been labbing it for about 20 mins so far and it feels really good. Great find!

EDIT: Although it is a great find, I feel like it isn't as reliable since it only works on a small amount of the cast. But it is really good if the situation ever arises that you have to play one of those characters.

Last edited:

Golden Rainbow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2707-2708-0253
Jab lock combos are really nice to have. Usually, I just resort to d-throw -> triple ftilt (the lock) then I do a falling uair. Of course, there's a huge tech window and a lot of characters can just jump away, but there's a few matchups where it really shines (rip dedede).

Also, since you're labbing footstools already: I heard good stuff about uair -> footstool -> immediate Up-B to cancel momentum (the lock) -> punish. I don't really know if it works (nor can I test it atm), but you can try if you want. If it even works, it probably goes until weight class 90 or something along that line.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Is there a legitimate footstool combo thread somewhere? Falco has a bunch of footstool jab lock setups.

PK_Love

Smash Rookie
Jab lock combos are really nice to have. Usually, I just resort to d-throw -> triple ftilt (the lock) then I do a falling uair. Of course, there's a huge tech window and a lot of characters can just jump away, but there's a few matchups where it really shines (rip dedede).

Also, since you're labbing footstools already: I heard good stuff about uair -> footstool -> immediate Up-B to cancel momentum (the lock) -> punish. I don't really know if it works (nor can I test it atm), but you can try if you want. If it even works, it probably goes until weight class 90 or something along that line.
I tried this and it does work! But it is a high risk low reward as:
  • You have to assume you got the foot stool as you won't be able to use the Up-B quick enough on reaction so if you muss the footstool then huge punish for opponent
  • Sometimes you get 4 hits and they break out
  • and it deals a small amount of damage
However I put that aside and started labbing it. So:
You can also do this after an Up-Tilt and Down-Tilt at earlier percents
You can get a big combo off 0%:
Up-Tilt until the next one won't connect -> Footstool -> immediate Up-B -> front hit of Up-Tilt -> Footstool -> immediate Up-B -> back hit of Up-Tilt -> immediate Up-B -> up-air -> footstool -> immediate Up-B-- This worked on bowser

If you mess up and get the last hit just try to extend a combo out of it

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
  • You have to assume you got the foot stool as you won't be able to use the Up-B quick enough on reaction so if you muss the footstool then huge punish for opponent
Nah you can option select it with nair

Last edited:

TheYellowBlaze

Smash Cadet
I tried this and it does work! But it is a high risk low reward as:
  • Sometimes you get 4 hits and they break out
  • and it deals a small amount of damage
However I put that aside and started labbing it. So:
You can also do this after an Up-Tilt and Down-Tilt at earlier percents
You can get a big combo off 0%:
Up-Tilt until the next one won't connect -> Footstool -> immediate Up-B -> front hit of Up-Tilt -> Footstool -> immediate Up-B -> back hit of Up-Tilt -> immediate Up-B -> up-air -> footstool -> immediate Up-B-- This worked on bowser

If you mess up and get the last hit just try to extend a combo out of it
Care to show video of this? That would help a lot

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
i was testing jablocks on traning and i found that if your enemy is on the edge of a pataform or close you can go below them and sh-nair-FF and this will make them, fall to the ground without the ability to tech it, then you just down angle ftilt to jablock them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom