• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential dthrow chaingrabs

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
As requested, a new thread.

Hello, I'm a huge buffering nerd I like to break this game. I've started from the bottom up, and that means you guys first. What I think I've found is pretty cool. This is all rough "pseudodata" which means these are my raw notes and are not scientific at all. The procedure is simple. I did a down throw, then did a buffered dash forward and re-grabbed. My room mate was at the other end and tried ot escape. We did the procedure each time on various characters and this is what we found: Ganon has a few potential downthrow chaingrabs.

The problem is that I am apparently terrible at buffering with Ganon. He escaped with DI sometimes, and sometimes he didn't. I'm not sure if it's because I sucked at buffering or because the throws aren't legit. I'm not at all afraid to be wrong or laughed off the face of the Earth on the off chance it helps your metagame a little bit, so here's what we found:

The visual is a little strange; Ganon will grab characters out of the air just as the dthrow animation ends, and they basically teleport into his hands. Ganon's dash grab range is like gigantic.

Biggest most consistent successes are highlighted in green.

Mario until 40%ish
Bowser until 60%ish
Donkey Kong until 25-30%...ish.
Diddy Kong until 40%...ish
Yoshi until 50%?
Zelda until 40%ish
Ganon until 20%
Toon Link? until 25%? *could definitely be wrong here*
Samus? For a **** while
Pit until 20%ish
King Dedede until 80%
Olimar until 30%
Falco 50%
Wolf to 65%
Captain Falcon until 55%?
Pikachu until 50%
Squirtle until 24%
Ivysaur 30%
Charizard until 42%
Lucario until 30%
Marth until 20% **UP B PROBABLY BREAKS**
Ike until 55%
Lucas until 30%?
snake until 35% roughly
Sonic until 20%

So I hope you guys can do something with this. Enjoy.

Addendum and disclaimer:

I put this info out for further testing because I have no frame data code, kind of suck at buffering, etc. There is no guarantee here. I can't make any videos. But I will do whatever else I can and give you whatever info I can to help.

What I know: my room mate, a competent smash player claimed he could not escape some or most of these in most cases. The most significant ones were Yoshi, Dedede, Wolf, and Charizard, who seemed to be absolutely ***** by this. Try those first. They are highlighted in green.

Wait a minute, Supermodel From Paris, can I have your autograph? I didn't really catch what you meant.

Okay so, Ganon could "re-grab" right after his dthrow with a dash grab? Are you sure?

Edit: Make a separate topic on it.
A buffered dash grab. You have to buffer the dash and then grab. The window is very small because there aren't very many frames you can buffer after an fthrow. It is very hard.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
So... Is it really possible for Ganon to regrab a lv9 CPU before they can airdodge? O_o

Your method must be totally different than the one I tried.
lv9 CPU won every time.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
So... Is it really possible for Ganon to regrab a lv9 CPU before they can airdodge? O_o

lv9 CPU won every time.
I did it on level 9 cpus a few times but it was mostly a friend of mine. Did you buffer it?

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546

lv9 CPU won every time.
Did your roommate try airdodging at all?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
"buffer after an fthrow" lol typo?

Fthrow or dthrow?

Also I feel this needs more testing... if it was a CG I'm sure it'd be found before now. If it isn't kudo's.
Sorry, dthrow. The ZSS one is fthrow, that's why I decided to test htis out.

Did your roommate try airdodging at all?
Yep. Or so he says, lol. >_>

EDit: I won't be around for a while. So test this if you can and let me know. If it turns out bunk, it's cool. Just lock this up nice and tightly and we'll pretend I was never here. If you have the frame data code, try that, if not try 1/4 in training mode, but remember that nothing cna decay there so it's harder to test tangibly.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'm starting to doubt this. Ganon has some lag after his Dthrow, he doesn't have enough time to follow up with dash grab.
All right. Again, I'd rather have posted it and it been wrong than not posted it.

I really really have to go now. So if I come back and the thread's exploded with "I HATE YOU SFP" I'll know what happened.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I'm starting to doubt this. Ganon has some lag after his Dthrow, he doesn't have enough time to follow up with dash grab.
Buffered, he actually can regrab. I'm doubting the CG aspect simply from the opponent's DI; if they just hold away from Ganon, the CG's rendered useless.

TP

Smash Master
Buffered, he actually can regrab. I'm doubting the CG aspect simply from the opponent's DI; if they just hold away from Ganon, the CG's rendered useless.
Better yet, if he holds up, he'll be above Ganon's grab range and Ganon will get punished.

.AC.

Smash Lord
The window is very small because there aren't very many frames you can buffer after an fthrow. It is very hard.
hmm isnt the buffering time frame same for everything?(10 frames)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I laughed so hard when I read that Ganon's dash grab range is gigantic. He can be standing right next to them and do a quick dash grab and not grab them.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I laughed so hard when I read that Ganon's dash grab range is gigantic. He can be standing right next to them and do a quick dash grab and not grab them.
Really? It seemed pretty large to me. Whatever, there's no reason to laugh. I aim only to help.

Also, I meant gigantic compared to his standing range :p

:034:

Smash Hero
Personally, I think we're being a bit negative on this. I'll test this out and see if it works... If it does, guys, we just got a MAJOR step-up to our game.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Personally, I think we're being a bit negative on this. I'll test this out and see if it works... If it does, guys, we just got a MAJOR step-up to our game.
See, that's the thing; some of us actually DID test it and the results were that the CG doesn't exist.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
SFP: I suggest you get a video of this and show us, because it's not impossible that everyone here tried something different.

Also, supposing we could buffer something like a throw, is there any chance a buffered choke would hit at low %s?

Also, even if it is legit, Mario can probably UpB out of it (it has invul. on startup like Marth's, but it actually has a tiny bit less startup.).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The only thing that combos from D-throw is technically a buffered Dash Attack.

Top Bottom