• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Anti-Laser Tactic

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
After looking at hitboxes, I may have stumbled onto something.
Marth's aerial neuB looks superior to the fair when going against a Falco's lasers(even on-stage ones) because it keeps his hurtbox high and his hitbox low. I do not know whether it hits lower totally than the fair(in the case of an edgeguard but that is not the topic of this thread) or not but one thing is certain: the fair's hitbox does not extend lower than Marth's hurtbox.

Look at how his extended leg hurtbox reaches down most, if not all the vertical height of the last frames of the hitbox. This explains why it seems impossible to hit a Falco that just drew his blaster without eating the laser, even if you hit him.

Now look at an aerial neuB(yes, the still frame is of Marth in an aerial state):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9uzuFbJgvY#t=7m50s

Marth keeps his legs high as if on a surface in mid-air while swinging the sword below. This attribute should shut out ledgehop lasers if you vertically dodged them as well as make it a good repellant when you are falling back to the stage and a Falco is approaching looking to laser to aerial/ftilt/fsmash you on your descent.
So far this is all just theory, but I'm going to try incorporate this in my Falco matchups.
Y'all should try it and see if it works for you too!

Update: I have been able to use in my recent smashings and it's been working out great!
Once you know the timing, you can hit Falco out of his ledgehop lasers w/o committing to a counter, sealing his fate with only his up-B left to recover.
The move does last long as it isn't l-cancel-able so it can be baited and punished by a Falco staying back and not chasing after you.
But hey, if you instill fear in your opponent and make him think twice about going after you, that's a win for Marth in my book. Just don't toss it out and land back onto the stage to do whatever you please.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Very interested in seeing this used in play as opposed to fair.

Only part I don't like about neutral b is the lag :/

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
I have been able to use in my recent smashings and it's been working out great!
Once you know the timing, you can hit Falco out of his ledgehop lasers w/o committing to a counter, sealing his fate with only his up-B left to recover.
The move does last long as it isn't l-cancel-able so it can be baited and punished by a Falco staying back and not chasing after you.
But hey, if you instill fear in your opponent and make him think twice about going after you, that's a win for Marth in my book. Just don't toss it out and land back onto the stage to do whatever you please.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
I have been able to use in my recent smashings and it's been working out great!
You know, delayed nair works too.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Nair is reliant on them just having pulled out the blaster, neuB is for when the laser is already present and you need both a dodge and a counterattack.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I guess for evading the laser this is neat.

What percent does it knock over? You clearly can't combo off it so you're going to tech chase... if it's early enough I could see potential. A knockdown is worth the risk of being hit by a Falco aerial IMO since Marth hits harder if he gets the ball rolling (unless Falco makes like 1-2 good plays but most of them refuse to set up those types of combos).

...Now that I think about it, Marth's legs are seriously his biggest problem when he jumps. If he just floated or something like a Genie he'd probably be god tier. No more sneaking under him or clipping his legs when he's fairing and crap. Tiny hurtbox with huge sword.

...Someone make this.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Marth should just fly like super man, flat as possible. He would be ridiculously hard to hit with lasers lol

Ether

Smash Ace
Ken did this against Forward.

At 33%, minimal knockback, no knockdown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52o9pQVp5RE&t=17s

Stuffed by ledgehop double laser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52o9pQVp5RE&t=54s

Surprisingly little lag, chance to shield if whiffed.
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52o9pQVp5RE&t=1m12s

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52o9pQVp5RE&t=3m30s

I still don't know the knockdown percent, but I've thought of using this, and one way to use shieldbreaker would be around 35% to hit them with minimal knockback and make them think you're lagging, then you just uptilt them out of their approach.

pewpewyou

Smash Journeyman
There's like no mobility on the neutral b in the air though! My favorite way to counter lazers is to shorthop into the lazer, smash DI it towards them, and fair them in the beak. (Obviously dependent on how close you are to them)

Top Bottom