• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Alternative Character Slots / Palette Swaps / Clones

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
:ultzelda::ultlink::ultganondorf::ultsheik::TP,HW,OOT it's so obvious and I need it, I would hope they would change the faces with the clothing and hair Project M did this pretty well, but idk.
:ultyounglink::Classic Link, MM Link.
:ulttoonlink::There is so many, they could go in any direction.
:ultvillager::Make a costume that doesnt look creepy, perhaps the girl villager from MarioKart
:ultinkling:: more hair styles mabye?
:ultmewtwo::The armor from the anime.
:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultmario::ultluigi::Sports costumes.
:ultyoshi:: Yarn Yoshi is pretty obvious
:ultsonic::Classic sonic? The height may be a problem.
:ultkirby::yarn kirby
:ultroy::Younger Roy, they did it with Ike, or was the Roy in Melee not younger, I don't know much about fire emblem.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
:ultzelda::ultlink::ultganondorf::ultsheik::TP,HW,OOT it's so obvious and I need it, I would hope they would change the faces with the clothing and hair Project M did this pretty well, but idk.
:ultyounglink::Classic Link, MM Link.
:ulttoonlink::There is so many, they could go in any direction.
:ultvillager::Make a costume that doesnt look creepy, perhaps the girl villager from MarioKart
:ultinkling:: more hair styles mabye?
:ultmewtwo::The armor from the anime.
:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultmario::ultluigi::Sports costumes.
:ultyoshi:: Yarn Yoshi is pretty obvious
:ultsonic::Classic sonic? The height may be a problem.
:ultkirby::yarn kirby
:ultroy::Younger Roy, they did it with Ike, or was the Roy in Melee not younger, I don't know much about fire emblem.
Roy in Smash 4 and U is completely made up and never aged up past his Melee appearance.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
This is solely about alternate costumes, whether if it's just a pallete swap or something like Alph
:ultbayonetta: - that fancy white dress and hat from Bayo2 opening
:ultbowser: - Wedding Bowser
:ultfalcon: - His anime appearance (an actual model change), helmetless, or his real identity in the anime (won't say who it is cause spoilers)
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf: - Assault bodysuits
:ultganondorf: - Hyrule Warriors
:ultlink: - Classic, OoT, TP, and SS looks (like the BOTW costumes, not an actual full model change. He'd still be right-handed and his moves would be unaltered visually)
:ultmario: - more Odyssey costumes
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultpeach::ultwario: - costumes from Mario Party 2
:ulttoonlink: - Outset Island outfit, train conductor outfit, some stuff from Tri Force Heroes
:ultness: - Pajamas, if it could work, maybe that robot suit/transformation thing?
:ultpit: - Classic Pit
:ultpokemontrainer: - actual model swaps of other generations Trainers
:ultridley: - Proteus
:ultrosalina: - Cosmic Spirit
:ultryu: - Hot Ryu
:ultsimon: - that red-haired bishonen Simon
:ultwario: - Wario Land 1 look (explorer's hat, white hat/shirt, black overalls)
:ultyoshi: - Yoob, more Yoshi colors
:ultzelda: - a pallete swap resembing BOTW Zelda
Lastly, let me play the devil's advocate here:
:ultroy: - Alm. Yes, as an costume. Sure, wouldn't make much sense since Roy already has an echo, but I don't care :p

Quillion

Smash Hero
:ultlink: - Classic, OoT, TP, and SS looks (like the BOTW costumes, not an actual full model change. He'd still be right-handed and his moves would be unaltered visually)
That just wouldn't work. The use of Sheikah Slate bombs, double arrows, and no hookshot would gel poorly with the other Links.

I think OoT Link and TP Link would be better off as an echo called "Classic Link" with the left-handedness and heavy stats of the adult Links, and the moves of Smash 4 Link.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
That just wouldn't work. The use of Sheikah Slate bombs, double arrows, and no hookshot would gel poorly with the other Links.

I think OoT Link and TP Link would be better off as an echo called "Classic Link" with the left-handedness and heavy stats of the adult Links, and the moves of Smash 4 Link.
Counterpoint, In Breath of the Wild he already can dress like other Links
https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/03/19/guide-unlock-classic-zelda-costumes-breath-wild/
Its what that post mentioned in the first place.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace

but BOTW has costumes for Link based on those games
I was talking about something like that

edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Counterpoint, In Breath of the Wild he already can dress like other Links
https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/03/19/guide-unlock-classic-zelda-costumes-breath-wild/
Its what that post mentioned in the first place.
but BOTW has costumes for Link based on those games
I was talking about something like that

edit: :ultgreninja:'d
And that's just BotW Link cosplaying. His face is still different, he's right-handed, and he's still using the BotW items.

I want to play as the actual old Links: left-handedness, heavier stats, old tools, voices and all. BUT, I don't want them to go overboard, so I'd like it limited to OoT and TP Links alone, as they were the playable Links in previous Smash games.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
:ultyoshi: = Yarn Yoshi. Obviously. Possibly the Plush Yoshi from the 2019 Yoshi game (yes, this one IS different from Woolly World's Yarn Yoshi). Not to mention bringing ALL Yoshi colors in for his 'regular outfit'.
:ultpeach::ultdaisy: = Their classic pre-GameCube looks.
:ultfalcon: = His old classic SNES look.
:ultfox::ultfalco: = Their Melee looks.
:ultwolf: = His Brawl look (his Ultimate face looks really weird to me especially when he opens his mouth wide...)
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf: = Their Ocarina of Time and/or Twilight Princess outfits (just the latter in Ganondorf's case).
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer::ultgreninja: = All their Shiny variants.
:ultinkling: = Proper Splatoon 2 alternates.
:ultmegaman: = Helmetless.

Those are probably my personal most wanted alternates.
And that's just BotW Link cosplaying. His face is still different, he's right-handed, and he's still using the BotW items.

I want to play as the actual old Links: left-handedness, heavier stats, old tools, voices and all. BUT, I don't want them to go overboard, so I'd like it limited to OoT and TP Links alone, as they were the playable Links in previous Smash games.
You're probably not going to have the proper old Links back in Ultimate (Young Link is your best option there), so in that case, why not let BotW Link cosplay as the other Links, especially if he could already do it in the actual game? It really is a no-brainer to give Link these costume options because no way are the pre-Ultimate Links going to be in this game at this point, lest they want tons of complaints about putting 4 Links in the game, people are already complaining about there being 3 of them.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You're probably not going to have the proper old Links back in Ultimate (Young Link is your best option there), so in that case, why not let BotW Link cosplay as the other Links, especially if he could already do it in the actual game?
Because it is a half-assed solution to something they can easily do since Ultimate's engine can easily receive the animations and models of Smash 4.

It really is a no-brainer to give Link these costume options because no way are the pre-Ultimate Links going to be in this game at this point, lest they want tons of complaints about putting 4 Links in the game, people are already complaining about there being 3 of them.
Wait, there are complaints? I mean, I thought there would be complaints, but most people are welcoming the three Links with open arms.

And even if there are complaints, I don't give a stool about them. Besides, if Sakurai cared that much about complaints, Ganondorf would have a different moveset every game already.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultbayonetta:: Wedding Dress, Police, Schoolgirl, Link costume, and Nun
:ultbowser:: Pimp Daddy Bowser
:ultcorrin::ultike::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultrobin:ultroy::ultchrom:: All Heroes alts
:ultdk:: Boxer
:ultlink:: many BOTW costumes
:ultmario::ultlink:: ...shirtless
:ultluigi:: Mr.L
:ultmario:: many Odyssey costumes
:ultness:: pajamas
:ultpalutena:: classic
:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina:: sports
:ultpit:: Three Sacred Treasure
:ultpokemontrainer:: Gary, Misty, Brock, Dawn, Hilda
:ultrosalina:: Cosmic
:ultryu:: Beard
:ultsamus:: Fusion
:ultsonic:: Boom
:ulttoonlink:: Train Conductor
:ultyoshi:: Prisoner
:ultzss:: White training suit (or whatever her white gear is called)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dry Bowser is perfect for an costume for Bowser. They did Meta Ridley for Ridley. It can easily work.

Also King K. Rool in his wrestling outfit at the end of DK64.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Because it is a half-***** solution to something they can easily do since Ultimate's engine can easily receive the animations and models of Smash 4.

Wait, there are complaints? I mean, I thought there would be complaints, but most people are welcoming the three Links with open arms.

And even if there are complaints, I don't give a stool about them. Besides, if Sakurai cared that much about complaints, Ganondorf would have a different moveset every game already.
Look, all I'm saying is, it's unlikely for classic Link to be included. And even if he is likely, he still might not get in, so at that point, why would you not let BotW Link cosplay as the other Links? If you really wouldn't like this, you're free not to use these costumes, but there's plenty of other people who would enjoy it a lot. Besides, complaining about characters not buttering well with certain movesets seems kind of silly when you consider there's plenty of characters that use moves they don't use otherwise in their game. There's Luigi using the Green Missile, which is completely made-up for Smash. Ness and Lucas using all kinds of PSI moves they don't use, they might as well rework their movesets and bring in Paula and Kumatora as echo fighters or something to use these old moves. And then there's characters with movesets that are completely unique, such as Captain Falcon, or any of the Star Fox characters.

Plenty of characters who don't use certain moves in their home games but they do use in Smash, and you're going to complain about Link's potential classic Link costumes, when said Link was actually able to dress up as other Links in the game he's from? I'm sorry if I don't see the issue here, but there really is no need to bring in a fourth Link just because BotW Link's moveset wouldn't 'butter well with classic Links', when this is really a non-issue as the moveset would definitely butter well with classic Links. Having OoT/TP tunic options for Link would be just fine.

No offense of course, I just think it's a bit of a silly thing to complain about, all things considered. :p

Quillion

Smash Hero
Look, all I'm saying is, it's unlikely for classic Link to be included. And even if he is likely, he still might not get in, so at that point, why would you not let BotW Link cosplay as the other Links? If you really wouldn't like this, you're free not to use these costumes, but there's plenty of other people who would enjoy it a lot. Besides, complaining about characters not buttering well with certain movesets seems kind of silly when you consider there's plenty of characters that use moves they don't use otherwise in their game. There's Luigi using the Green Missile, which is completely made-up for Smash. Ness and Lucas using all kinds of PSI moves they don't use, they might as well rework their movesets and bring in Paula and Kumatora as echo fighters or something to use these old moves. And then there's characters with movesets that are completely unique, such as Captain Falcon, or any of the Star Fox characters.

Plenty of characters who don't use certain moves in their home games but they do use in Smash, and you're going to complain about Link's potential classic Link costumes, when said Link was actually able to dress up as other Links in the game he's from? I'm sorry if I don't see the issue here, but there really is no need to bring in a fourth Link just because BotW Link's moveset wouldn't 'butter well with classic Links', when this is really a non-issue as the moveset would definitely butter well with classic Links. Having OoT/TP tunic options for Link would be just fine.

No offense of course, I just think it's a bit of a silly thing to complain about, all things considered. :p
Well, we are aware that Ultimate's engine easily accepts the models and animations of Smash 4.

And we are aware that Smash 4 Link was based on Twilight Princess Link: left-handed, classic bombs, clawshot, no double arrows, and voice.

So why can't they just easily port, at the very least, TP Link over from Smash 4?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I can also see Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein being costumes for K. Rool as well. Perhaps even his modern design as shown in King of Swing, Barrel Blast and Mario Super Sluggers.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Well, we are aware that Ultimate's engine easily accepts the models and animations of Smash 4.

And we are aware that Smash 4 Link was based on Twilight Princess Link: left-handed, classic bombs, clawshot, no double arrows, and voice.

So why can't they just easily port, at the very least, TP Link over from Smash 4?
Because we already have BotW Link. TP Link can be brought over as a skin. Really, we don't need a fourth Link.

Let's just agree to disagree I guess. :p

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I want Magolor to be a fighter, and here were my palette ideas:
(Light Blue/Yellow): Regular
(Dark Blue/Red): Resembles his 1st red/blue boss phase
(Purple/Red): Resembles his 2nd phase
(Red/Orange): Resembles Magolor Ex
(White/Black) Resembles agolor Soul
(Pink/Red): resmbles Kirby's pink/red design
(Baby Blue/Pink): Resembles Marx's skin tone and hat
(Light Blue/Dark Blue): Resembles the Lor Starcutter

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
So, I know this thread is kinda dead, and alternate costumes for updates isn't likely, but I'll go with my list, and it's big (I think) :

:ultmario: : Jumpman outfit, Super Mario Bros colors, Mario's boxer from Odyssey, Monochrome Mario, Mario 64 look, Mario Tennis Outfit, Shadow Mario, Mario Striker Charged Football outfit and Mario from Punch-Out.

:ultluigi: : Dr Luigi, Mr L, Shadow Luigi, Mario Bros' Luigi, Mario Tennis outfit, NES Open Tournament Golf outfit, Monochrome Luigi, Mario Striker Charged Football outfit.

:ultpeach: : All her costumes from Odyssey, Mario Tennis outfit, NES Open Tournament Golf outfit, Monochrome Peach, Mario Striker Charged Football outfit, original Pauline appearance.

:ultdaisy: : Mario Tennis outfit, NES Open Tournament Golf outfit, Monochrome Daisy, Mario Striker Charged Football outfit.

:ultdk: : Original Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Boxer's outfit from Punch-Out Wii, Mario Strikers Charged outfit, Super Kong look from DKC, Skylanders appearance.

:ultdiddy: : Super Kong look from DKC.

:ulttoonlink: : His Spirit Tracks outfit.

:ultpit:&:ultpalutena: : Original appearances.

:ultwiifittrainer: : Lin from Fitness Boxing.

:ultsimon: : Red hair Simon (with and without beard).

I have other ideas. I'll edit later.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's some alt costumes for my pretend Smash Bros Eternity:
:ultyoshi:-White and Orange Yoshi
:ultkirby:-Cube Body from April Fools
:ultkingdedede:-Masked Dedede
:ultmetaknight:-Fat Meta Knight
:ultmario:-Hotel Mario
:ultluigi:-Googi
:ultwario:-Default Overalls (Redesigned moveset for Wario Land.)
:ultbowser:-Dry Bowser (Don't know why they want him as an Echo.)

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, since there doesn’t seem to be a dedicated Echo Fighters thread, I suppose I’ll post these here:

6B8F0F2E-6C14-49EC-9A9C-2706AF082282.jpeg

E397E6E5-D416-4DC1-89A5-C4EFB9924F51.jpeg

Just a couple of hypothetical echo fighter ideas I had brewing in my mind. I’ll probably make a few more images later.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hey guys, since there doesn’t seem to be a dedicated Echo Fighters thread, I suppose I’ll post these here:

View attachment 233095

View attachment 233096

Just a couple of hypothetical echo fighter ideas I had brewing in my mind. I’ll probably make a few more images later.
My thoughts:
  • I personally wouldn't have Gooigi and Pauline there since Luigi is a semiecho to begin with and Peach already has an echo. We need a hard brake when this is the case.
  • I don't think Hilda is good echo material. She's a one-shot, and unlike Skull Kid for example, she doesn't really have any star power.
  • Snake's echo should be Big Boss. Having Liquid Snake first would be like having Wario before Luigi.
  • Let's wait on what kind of moves BotW2 Ganon has first before making hasty decisions.
  • Agree that Funky and Galacta Knight should be (semi)echoes, though.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My choices

:ultmario:: Fire Mario and Mario and Luigi Mario
:ultdk:: Donkey Kong with Boxing Gloves
:ultyoshi:: Black Yoshi and Woolly World Yoshi
:ultpikachu:: Detective Pikachu
:ultluigi:: Mario and Luigi Luigi and Mr.L
:ultfalcon:: Black Shadow as an echo-fighter
:ultpeach:: Wedding Peach, Biker Peach and Shadow Queen
:ultdaisy:: Sport's Daisy and Biker Daisy
:ultbowser:: Dry Bowser and Wedding Bowser as alternate costumes, and Dark Bowser as an echo-fighter
:ultmetaknight:: Dark Meta Knight as an echo-fighter
:ultcharizard::ultlucario: and :ultgreninja:: Shiny versions
:ultdiddy:: Dixie Kong as an echo-fighter
:ultsonic:: Knuckles and Tails based costumes, and Shadow as an echo-fighter
:ultrosalina:: Biker Rosalina
:ultbowserjr:: Koopa Kid
:ultkrool:: Kaptain K.Rool and Baron K. Roolinstein
:ulthero:: Female Alts

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
:ulticeclimbers:: Ice Climbers are by my favorite Nintendo & Super Smash Bros character. However, They don't have any selectable costumes to choose from honestly. I love the way Project M ( I never played it, but amazing job / props ) gave them polar bear costumes resembling the Bear from the Ice Climber Series. Not only is it cute but It is truly a unique idea. So, I was thinking they do the exact same concept but with the Condor & Seals ( complete with wings and tails ). Maybe, you can make one a Seal & the other climber a Bear or Condor at a time instead of exactly matching. I would love for this to happen.

:ultjigglypuff:: I was watching a Mr. Buddy video ( Great channel, check him out especially if your into Pokémon !!! ) & he was talking about costume ideas for Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Another Shout for the person who sent him this idea ( I hope you don't mind if I use it here ) of Jigglypuff having marker scribbles all over face. This is a great idea but a quick recap. Jigglypuff in the anime previously loves to sing and always carried a marker with a microphone attached at the end. If someone falls asleep, the poor victim would be drawn on. So I would have this while Jigglypuff has the marker in her hand. Just for nice Aesthetic purposes. And when she uses sing, she uses the end with the microphone. It works so well. ZZZzzzz ( also, Crown & Karate Headband. Please come back )

:ultpeach:/:ultdaisy:/:ultrosalina:: There are a numerous of great costumes you can choose for these three princess. If I had the opportunity to give them a costume, I would give them their classic Mario look. It's kind of like their current designs but simpler which makes for great costumes still. I guess you can have for nostalgic purposes or if you just like this design of them better. I would especially love this with Rosalina & Luma since they are my favorite Mario character. It will fit perfectly with their design of course. ( I don't use Peach or Daisy but why have one without the other 2 )

:ultwiifittrainer:: My last character. In all honesty, I'm not sure about this one but I wanted to give her something so let's get a bit creative. I will give her basically the same outfit but with more design on it. for example, her yoga pants will be black with a color Stripe coming up side of her pant legs. ( Color depends on choice for example, a red shirt, then red stripe. ) The her shirt will have a more define trim. Black liker her yoga pants. Now, She will have Decals on her Legs coming of the Stripe saying Nintendo white and bold. Her shirt will still say Wii Fit but with a visible switch logo below it. I think this will be a great costume despite not really being a Switch Version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom