• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post Patch And DLC Discoveries: Infinites, 0-Deaths, And More

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The Lucas infinite is only a potential 0-death, and only against some characters at that.
Even the characters it DOES potentially work on, can easily mix up their footstool-DI and mess things up for you.

Falco looks nice.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
I literally laughed out loud at the "0-death" combos for Lucas.

I cant believe people actually enjoy playing this "competitively", just because Nintendo had to drag their untalented, greedy knobs over Project M. :l

Really, the fault lies in people like GIMR and the other big names for letting Nintendo bully them. As the consumers, you have to take a stand against behavior like that, not cave in.

People are only playing Smash 4 because its new, once (if, that is) the net one comes out, people will drop it, just like Brawl, since it offers absolutely nothing.
Right because clearly everybody likes playing competitive smash the exact same way you do. Project M is the only thing you should ever play. It's not like people like Smash 4 because of the more measured pace, emphasis on reads and outplaying your opponent, and not having to learn and practice a ludicrous amount of tech skill to even attempt playing competitively, they just like it because it's new. Seriously though, you can have your opinion, heck you can find Smash 4 pointless, but you don't have to be rude about it.

Mavil64

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mavil2000
Lucas one of my favorite game characters top tier (probably).. omg.. Thank you daddy sakurai!! Also I was a bit sceptical about ryu but now I'm sure he'll fit right in :)

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
If peoeple are curious about how autolink angles work, it's an angle that if given to a hitbox, will move the opponent in the same direction and same-ish speed the user is going.

Falco's Nair brings Falcon upwards because Nair has autolink angles on its multihit hitboxes, since Falco is moving upwards during the jump, Falcon is dragged along.

In other words it is not a windbox.

Mavil64

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mavil2000
Lucas one of my favorite game characters top tier (probably).. omg.. Thank you daddy sakurai!! Also I was a bit sceptical about ryu but now I'm sure he'll fit right in :)

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
At the same time I love that more people will play Falco, but hate that they'll only pick him up now that he's been buffed.

Illuminati13

Smash Rookie
NNID
JulesF13
I've fought some For Glory Roys and Ryus today and there's already someone who's really good with them, and it hasn't even been a full week yet. How's that even possible?
Same tho! Especially with roy. I think they're mediocre with the characters but we are just so inexperienced in fighting them that we get crushed :p

Mr.Random

Smash Ace

I cant believe people actually enjoy playing this "competitively", just because Nintendo had to drag their untalented, greedy knobs over Project M. :l

Really, the fault lies in people like GIMR and the other big names for letting Nintendo bully them. As the consumers, you have to take a stand against behavior like that, not cave in.

People are only playing Smash 4 because its new, once (if, that is) the net one comes out, people will drop it, just like Brawl, since it offers absolutely nothing.
Stop. You're not making melee or pm fans look good.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
Roy is pretty crazy, i was using ROB against him and with 90% of rage he killed me at 48% on the slightly right side of FD... i was pretty salty to say the least...

D

Deleted member

It's called the Reverse Dolphin Slash, or with Roy, the Reverse Blazer. No offense.
Wait.
I know this is probably just me, but hitting Ryu feels as fulfilling and damaging as hitting a brick wall.

Meanwhile, Lucas is one of my new mains. Haven't touched Roy, although looking at his HD redesign... *puts on sunglasses* I'd like to.
YEAAAAAAAAHHHHH
Go ganondorf, after that it will be like punching a newly baked pie :)... Also that was partly a joke because the king of disrespect is a really really bad character... I'm wasting time with this post...

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
Dang, falco looks a lot more enjoyable to play as! I might have to give him a try cause up to now I haven't really played him in sm4sh, yet I mained him in every other smash game. Looks a lot more enjoyable now!

TheLegendaryKRB

Smash Apprentice
You can actually do a semi-wavedash with Ryu via his Down B if you cancel it mid air. Pretty cool.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master

I dunno. Did you see the advanced guide to Shield Grabbing?

Depth, bruh.

D

Deleted member

I literally do not get your point. Smash 4 is good competitively because it can get updated and have new stuff added in and thus keeping it from being a broken mess like what melee has become. It's all so easier to get part of as there is an online function you can play with at any time and the fact that you don't have to worry about getting a old game and hope that somewhere close you can find some people to play with.
Also. As many has stated, Lucas combo can easily be escaped with DI.
Other then that I would say that the worst part if smash 4 is not the game, but the fact that people still aren't agreed on stages and stock amount and so on.
Once all that is figured out the fun may truly begin. Let's hope that it will be soon :)

I was writing this on my phone while at work so I don't really feel like go in through all the effort of editing the text so if I accidentally offended anyone, I'm sorry and all if that yazz. Also, I'm not looking to change how you feel or think, just put my own thoughts out there. Other them hat. Have good day/night... What ever. And keep on fighting.

Sorry for long post... (not really though)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I literally do not get your point. Smash 4 is good for competitively because it can get updated and have new stuff added in and thus keeping it from being a broken mess like what melee has become.
How is melee a broken mess? It's a gorgeous game, and offers a significantly higher skill ceiling.

Yes, at the highest level fox/marth/etc dominate the tournament placings, but really for 90% of melee players it's not as broken as you would assume based off watching the top players.

For example, fox is the easiest to combo in the game. I have 3-4 stocked foxes close to my level using pichu and getting the right reads.

Melee is not by any means a broken game. If anything, it has so much to offer in terms of techniques that it's LESS broken than brawl or smash 4.
It's all so easier to get part of as there is an online function you can play with at any time and the fact that you don't have to worry about getting a old game and hope that somewhere close you can find some people to play with.
Nah dude, this is what makes the smash 4 competitive scene stale. People don't understand that for glory is not the same thing as attending a live event. Online matches mean nothing, and do more harm than good when it comes to developing your game.

Other then that I would say that the worst part if smash 4 is not the game, but the fact that people still aren't agreed on stages and stock amount and so on.
Agreed, but what do you expect from a community full of whiny children, with the biggest baby of them all, ZeRo leading the whine brigade on twitter 24/7 ?

SoulBoundX

Smash Cadet
How is melee a broken mess? It's a gorgeous game, and offers a significantly higher skill ceiling.

Yes, at the highest level fox/marth/etc dominate the tournament placings, but really for 90% of melee players it's not as broken as you would assume based off watching the top players.

For example, fox is the easiest to combo in the game. I have 3-4 stocked foxes close to my level using pichu and getting the right reads.

Melee is not by any means a broken game. If anything, it has so much to offer in terms of techniques that it's LESS broken than brawl or smash 4.

Nah dude, this is what makes the smash 4 competitive scene stale. People don't understand that for glory is not the same thing as attending a live event. Online matches mean nothing, and do more harm than good when it comes to developing your game.

Agreed, but what do you expect from a community full of whiny children, with the biggest baby of them all, ZeRo leading the whine brigade on twitter 24/7 ?
The ONLY reason I play smash 4 instead of melee is specifically because of online play. I can finally play a smash game i like with people. I promise you it doesn't hurt the game. Melee is no fun if you don't have anyone to play with.

D

Deleted member

Melle is a broken mess to my eyes because there are so many characters that are useless for anything but showing off. Though the amount of techniques and alike does make it an interesting and really fast pace game... I will not take back my statement. It's still pretty broken to my eyes.

Yes 1V1 does not compare to a actual RL match but for many people. That's what they got. No one equal or better to play with or as in my case. No one at all. How ever. If there's anything special about online it's the fact that it is by far the best way to see how different people act and is a good way to learn how to spot habits and punish them for it. That is if you can find a match that isn't a competition for who that can roll the most T-T

And as for the community, it's a new community with a supricingly a mount of people in it who all have different ways of looking at the game. It's not all just whining ( though some most definitely are), it's a discussion that hopefully will lead to progress. Or perhaps, there's no need for all to agree on one way to play, maybe we can have some variance form tournament to tournament. That could be fun.

Other then that... It's fun to discuss thing's with people :) you included.

D

Deleted member

The ONLY reason I play smash 4 instead of melee is specifically because of online play. I can finally play a smash game i like with people. I promise you it doesn't hurt the game. Melee is no fun if you don't have anyone to play with.
Same. I wish I could find people to play with at least once a month. But where live... not gonna happen.

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
Ryu's focus attack thing is not an infinite. Please don't call it an infinite or nintendo will believe you and nerf it needlessly.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Melee has online play... Emulated, granted, but it's more than possible.

Melle is a broken mess to my eyes because there are so many characters that are useless for anything but showing off. Though the amount of techniques and alike does make it an interesting and really fast pace game... I will not take back my statement. It's still pretty broken to my eyes.
What on earth do you mean by "showing off" ??? that doesn't make any sense. Swag and style are more possible in melee than almost any other game... that makes it BETTER, not worse... please elaborate on this "showing off" and why it's a bad thing.

A lot of what you see as showing off, like moonwalk reverse knee for example, has utility in a real match..

Sucks that you don't have a smash scene in your area, have you checked the regional section of smashboards?

I know you think online play is helping you get good at smash, but it's horrible for your actual skill development as you get used to people with bad habits, and good players don't have these bad habits. It's like people who play vs CPUs all day, then wonder why they lose to a human...

90% of what you'll find on "for glory" is not something I would consider competitive smash, but rather just stepping on really weak players.

A horrible trend that smash 4 has started is "Look at my falcon combo this 6 year old on for glory, I'm good at smash now. *makes combo video against 6 year olds who don't DI and walk into hitboxes*

SoulBoundX

Smash Cadet
There should be rooms in smash 4 where you can choose who you want to play, like in other fighting games. That way really good people can play with other really skilled players and the bad players can play with not so good players.

JustinKG

Smash Rookie

With much excitement Ryu, Roy, and Lucas entered the fray this weekend alongside two new stages in Dreamland and Miiverse. If this wasn't enough, balance changes came with them that got everyone into a frenzy, hitting the lab to discover what might be new. There have already been some interesting discoveries made so let's take a look at some of the more interesting developments!

Lucas Has A Zero To Death Combo

Lucas already has a incredibly scarty combo discovered where he can take any opponent from 0 to death percents off of a down throw. Will there be a player to bring this to the proficiency of an Ice Climbers chain grab? Only time can tell.

Falco Gets Some Changes

Falco got a unique buff to his moveset with his neutral air now having a windbox. This has made several new combos available, but the one that is most interesting is a potential low percentage "chaingrab" where Falco can down throw into neutral air repeatedly. People who previously discounted Falco will be eager to try him out.

Ryu Infinites Discovered

The infinite shown in the video above has only been tested to work on Donkey Kong and Charizard thus far; it will take time to see if this can be applied to other characters. Ryu's up tilt also seems to have the ability to lock down characters. There is always the possibility with Smash DI that escape could happen, but it will take testing and practice to discover if this is the case. With Ryu already having some combos that can do 60% a pop, Ryu is looking to be a serious tournament threat.

Roy, Jigglypuff, And An Instant Up-B Kill
For those who do not know in both Project M and in Melee Roy can kill instantly kill Jigglypuff with his up b in certain situations. It seems with a little bit of trickery and some rage this is still possible within Smash 4, so a unique Smash tradition continues in the strangest way. Roy is also looking to have some great combos and other points of potential as well; it will be interesting to see him develop.

These next few days are bound to have even more thrilling discoveries made as the game advances forward. To keep up with them all be sure to stay tuned in to Smashboards for all the information you need!

SmashCapps is pumped but frightened of what DLC characters can do after only one day of use. To share in his fear or express some excitement follow him on Twitter.

I'm enjoying experimenting with Ryu

D

Deleted member

Melee has online play... Emulated, granted, but it's more than possible.

What on earth do you mean by "showing off" ??? that doesn't make any sense. Swag and style are more possible in melee than almost any other game... that makes it BETTER, not worse... please elaborate on this "showing off" and why it's a bad thing.*
What I see as showing off are things like... Eyy I 2 stocked your fox with pichu. Using actual techniques in the game might be showing off but it's also useful for "mind games" (I do not like that term) and thus has a function for the match.
So what I mean with some characters not being useful outside of showing of, I basically meant what I said in the pichu/fox example. Not that doing certain moves or tricks are.
And online... Other then the lag you can still learn from it and you should... That lag though >__< that is what is dangerous to learn from online, that running in a sid-B with lil Mac for example, actually works... be cause as we all know. It does not work. Irl it is really easy to avoid.
Hope that clarifies some things :/

Edit: I'd just like to add that people in tournaments do have habits. Just look at the games and you'll see them doing the same stuff at certain points, that is a habit no matter how you look at it, and the habit of your opponent might have cost you 1stock... but could very well be what wins you the game... #GanonForPrez

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I know that tehy made Roy pretty insane, im not the best fighter, but I actually managed a perfect battle in a game just earlier today. I decided to do the joke roy Vs roy Koopa fight and ended with 6 Ko's on teh koopa and no damage taken at all. I knwo im not a pro but still.. dude is a power house. KOing people at low percents.
granted I played the koopa thats lvl 3, and the stage was The tortimer island one I think.. [brain failure.] Anyway, it was my first ever perfect battle.. was just insane.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I know that tehy made Roy pretty insane, im not the best fighter, but I actually managed a perfect battle in a game just earlier today. I decided to do the joke roy Vs roy Koopa fight and ended with 6 Ko's on teh koopa and no damage taken at all. I knwo im not a pro but still.. dude is a power house. KOing people at low percents.
granted I played the koopa thats lvl 3, and the stage was The tortimer island one I think.. [brain failure.] Anyway, it was my first ever perfect battle.. was just insane.
Congrats on bopping a level 3 cpu? lol. JV 7 stock. Roys our boi

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029

Please stop right there dude.

1. Funny how people can have different views on the term competitive huh? Looking at all the entrants for the upcoming EVO tournament, 1500 or so people would have to disagree with you on sm4sh's supposed lack of competitive value.

2. GIMR and whomever else stopped streaming PM weren't "bullied" by Nintendo. Being sponsored by Nintendo means no illegal modifications of Brawl period and that's the sad, but cold hard truth. Really, Nintendo could've gone the full distance and send a cease and desist to the dev team, but instead they still allow the mod to exist albeit on smaller youtube/twitch channels. What's done is done. You can call GIMR a traitor all you want, but it ain't going to change his or Nintendo's stance on PM

3. Brawl offered and for some still offers some competitive value. In 4's case, its lifespan is looking to be significantly longer than it's predecessor's as of now thanks to its balance between casual and competitive and of course, custom moves enriching the metagame of several characters such as Palutena (who flat out sucks without them).

You can be salty all you wish about sm4sh, but coming to a sm4sh thread just to diss on the game isn't going to do you much good if any. :)

zambiteer

Smash Rookie
NNID
zambiteer
3DS FC
5000-4246-4384
since falco is one of my mains, i'm pretty happy they buffed him once again.

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
I just found out that Little Mac's KO Punch is blockable now, at least the aerial one. Not sure if it was always like that, just noticed it.

Top Bottom