• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibly useful? (nope)

Overload

Smash Lord
While practicing against the CPU I decided to side step continuously for no reason. I tried using the c-stick to do this and noticed that every once in a while a down smash would come out instead of a dodge. I don't know what determines if a down smash will come out or not so I don't know if this can be applied to anything so it's most likely useless.

Overload

Smash Lord
I'm talking about when you're holding shield and you hit down on the c-stick while in shield.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Only way that is possible is

Shield>Wavedash>D-Smash. Since wavedash has no lag from beginning to end it could come out all in one frame if done fast enough.

Only u-smash goes out of shield without a wavedash between.

Overload

Smash Lord
Can someone else try this to see if they experience the same thing?
I didn't wavedash in between and I didn't let go of shield. There's the possibility that my controller could be weird but I highly doubt it, and I tried with both shield buttons.

Oracle

Smash Master
You hit the c stick down the frame after the dodge ended, and the dsmash came out before thhe sheild

Overload

Smash Lord
You hit the c stick down the frame after the dodge ended, and the dsmash came out before thhe sheild
I just realized this. I thought the same thing then I went into slo mo melee to test it. I held shield and hit the c stick like crazy. I was dsmashing consistently.

Binx

Smash Master

Shield>Wavedash>D-Smash. Since wavedash has no lag from beginning to end it could come out all in one frame if done fast enough.

Wavedash has 10 frames of lag actually, more than Fox's l canceled neutral air.

You probably didn't put your shield up, or dropped it, it drops fairly quickly, a fun fact though, if you hold shield and hold down on c-stick it will constantly buffer dodges as fast as they can be done, so you don't need to time it at all if your goal is to do more than 1, just start counting and stop when you feel the need to.

Overload

Smash Lord
Wavedash has 10 frames of lag actually, more than Fox's l canceled neutral air.

You probably didn't put your shield up, or dropped it, it drops fairly quickly, a fun fact though, if you hold shield and hold down on c-stick it will constantly buffer dodges as fast as they can be done, so you don't need to time it at all if your goal is to do more than 1, just start counting and stop when you feel the need to.
I didn't drop my shield.

I knew that fact, actually just found out today, but the dsmash won't come out during that, only when you do the dodges manually.

Binx

Smash Master
I know the dsmash won't come out during that, thought you wanted to know how to avoid dsmashing. Dsmashing out of a spot dodge doesn't really seem practical.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
I've done this quite a lot a few months ago when I found out you can roll with c-stick, I would do a dsmash after like the 3rd or 4th spot dodge, it got me a smash pretty much every time I did it. If for anything I would just say for mindgames, I don't know about doing it now because I haven't tried it, but I did dsmash eventually like the OP and didn't sidestep infinitely

Mokumo

Smash Ace
My boy is able to do smashes out of his shield consistently, especially with yoshi. I have no idea how he does it.

I would say maybe you're jumping and then doing the smash attack before you leave the ground, like a jump-canceled downsmash. But doesn't that only with with upsmashes?

IrArby

Smash Ace
I know the dsmash won't come out during that, thought you wanted to know how to avoid dsmashing. Dsmashing out of a spot dodge doesn't really seem practical.
Young Link/Link/Peach players would disagree I think as they all have really good spot dodges. I'll try this later at home. Dsmash out of shield sounds more useful in general than UpSmash. Serioulsy, any player with a good/fast Dsmash can use this. Why would anyone think this isn't good?

Overload

Smash Lord
I wouldn't exactly call it D-smashing out of shield since the shield doesn't come back up before the smash. The D-smash comes right after the dodge.

Another thing! If you are holding A as you are holding shield and dodging you can charge the D-smash!

Another thing! Down smashes are not the only things that work. SIDE SMASHES CAN ALSO COME OUT AFTER A ROLL!

Hold shield then roll back and forth and see if you can get a side smash to come out.

There's gotta be some frames where this can happen. The question is how many.

Also, you can do a side smash out of a dodge, not a roll, a side step dodge.

I'm starting to get the timing down in slo mo. I'm pretty sure you have to hit the c-stick right before you see your shield flash before the next dodge.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Uh, just out of curiosity, why don't you just not hold shield and do this manually...

Are you going for the random factor here?

Overload

Smash Lord
Uh, just out of curiosity, why don't you just not hold shield and do this manually...

Are you going for the random factor here?
Hmm, I thought it was faster, but I was wrong. I can't believe I didn't realize what you just said earlier, how stupid of me lol. This is completely useless.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Ah well if you could Dsmash out of shield that'd be an awesome new AT for every to learn. Shame really I was looking forward to it.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
Hmm, I thought it was faster, but I was wrong. I can't believe I didn't realize what you just said earlier, how stupid of me lol. This is completely useless.
I'm pretty sure it is faster because if you dodge or roll out of a shield, the shield tilts before doing the action. Please refer to Forward's guide on buffering.

Also, I've experienced the same thing a few times except with side smash. I was trying to buffer a roll, sidestep or jump but instead I smashed. I know I was holding R but the shield never came out. This happened to me while I was trying to avoid a punish.

Eaode

Smash Champion

Wavedash has lag. There's jump animation lag, which varies from character to character (Fox is 4 and Bowser is 8 IIRC), then 1 frame to airodge, and then the landing lag is like 4 frames I think. So the fastest possible Wavedash takes 9 frames before you can act again. So you're probably better off just dropping your shield, unless you need to cover some distance.

Levi5

Smash Ace
c-stick auto rapid fire inputs, that's why you continuous roll or spot dodge while shielding, and it's pretty much how ASDI works

Top Bottom