• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibly looking to secondary or co-main Fox, I could use some help

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So I’ve always liked playing Fox since 64 when I didn’t even know about competitive or anything and I’ve tried him out a couple times in Ultimate and I really like how he feels. Problem is I’m really bad with him. I’m super inconsistent with landing his aerials and I have trouble killing. I also need to work on my spacing and movement with him. My question is what are some tips for an intermediate player who wants to pick up Fox? Are there any good videos to watch? Much appreciated!

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
Well, Fox has always been one of the hardest characters to play. If you don't feel comfortable with him, try playing easier characters with high fall speed to get used to it, like... well, Wolf, while also playing him. Use the training room to practice movement and the online to improve your neutral, it would be better with friends who are alredy good at this game. As for the vids... I think Larry Lurr talked a bit about Fox, but I'm not sure about who has uploaded a guide about him. However, you have to train hard

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Nair to Usmash is pretty good and the damage multiplier from short hops making it weaker benefits Fox so that he doesn't get the opponent too high with percent (it stops working if they're too high).

A shielding opponent can get pressured with rapid jabs and well spaced retreating Nairs or crossed up Bairs. You can also always grab them and toss them up or offstage, bad positions to be in against Fox.

Down B is back as a gimping move too, the hitbox is active on frame 3 and is immensely helpful in gimping many characters with linear recoveries. You can get some kills at low percent with this move. I would definetely practice and get used to where the hitbox is first, even if you've used it in previous smash games you're going to want to get a feel for it in this game.

Uair juggles are good too, for racking damage and getting KOs off the top. Not as great as they were before in S4, but still godlike. If you're feeling brave and read an air dodge, you can also use upB to catch it, final hit kills off the top

Edit: Fox's KO options as you may have noted are based on reading and using one of his powerful aerials or smashes to end the stock. He has his struggles at ending stocks if you get poor reads as a result, so being good at mixups and neutral is essential with him to secure the final KO.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Well, Fox has always been one of the hardest characters to play. If you don't feel comfortable with him, try playing easier characters with high fall speed to get used to it, like... well, Wolf, while also playing him. Use the training room to practice movement and the online to improve your neutral, it would be better with friends who are alredy good at this game. As for the vids... I think Larry Lurr talked a bit about Fox, but I'm not sure about who has uploaded a guide about him. However, you have to train hard
It’s not that I don’t feel comfortable with his movement or fall speed, I just need to get it tighter. I like challenging characters and I love what Fox can do once you get good. I watched the Larry Lurr video but all it was was combos and it doesn’t matter how many combos I know if I can’t land them in game. I’ve also watched a lot of tournament play just to see what high level gameplay looks like. I have a friend who’s better than me who I can practice with. Thanks for the advice

Nair to Usmash is pretty good and the damage multiplier from short hops making it weaker benefits Fox so that he doesn't get the opponent too high with percent (it stops working if they're too high).

A shielding opponent can get pressured with rapid jabs and well spaced retreating Nairs or crossed up Bairs. You can also always grab them and toss them up or offstage, bad positions to be in against Fox.

Down B is back as a gimping move too, the hitbox is active on frame 3 and is immensely helpful in gimping many characters with linear recoveries. You can get some kills at low percent with this move. I would definetely practice and get used to where the hitbox is first, even if you've used it in previous smash games you're going to want to get a feel for it in this game.

Uair juggles are good too, for racking damage and getting KOs off the top. Not as great as they were before in S4, but still godlike. If you're feeling brave and read an air dodge, you can also use upB to catch it, final hit kills off the top

Edit: Fox's KO options as you may have noted are based on reading and using one of his powerful aerials or smashes to end the stock. He has his struggles at ending stocks if you get poor reads as a result, so being good at mixups and neutral is essential with him to secure the final KO.
Thanks all of this was helpful and I’ll get to practicing!

Top Bottom