• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible secondary characters for Samus mains

Blazekenny

Smash Rookie
Hi,
I have been a Samus main for a few years now, but although I intend to continue playing mostly as her, I have only recently started considering picking up another character because of her shortcomings. I am most uncomfortable especially in short characters matchups (pichu, squirtle) and jugglers who don't let me land (lucina, cloud). Samus' advantage is nuts, but it has been a pain just running away from cloud's up airs or pichu's endless combos all the time. Is there a character that could make up for some of the weaknesses samus has? (Or I as a player do)

Thanks in advance

CharlieDW

Smash Rookie
I was literally about to ask this same question. Samus is for sure my best character but I'm looking to develop a secondary.

I've put in a little work with Lucina, she might be my secondary. I'm curious what other Samus mains use as alternate picks

Ode

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf has been a fun break from Samus because of the differences in mobility and armor, but I do find I underestimate Samus's horizontal airspeed after playing dorf resulting in some pretty dumb SDs.
I'd recommend looking for a character that has similar mobility characteristics.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Lucina is good because she outranges a lot of the fast characters that rush Samus down and does OK against other swordies with more range like Cloud and Ike.

I would take stock of Samus' strengths and attributes and find a secondary that contrasts those. Try out these other faster rushdown types to see which one meshes well with your play style.
When I did that, I settled on Greninja.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I went with Ridley. As my brother says, he's a big body who is trying to be a swordie.
I was contemplating Ridley as well, but the issue with Samus is that she's prone to being juggled. Ridley probably gets juggled even harder, due to that hurtbox size and relatively light weight. Do you think a proper sword character like Lucina or Shulk would be better?

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I primarily play Richter and Megaman, but I play Samus occasionally. Lucina is probably my favorite character to switch to against the characters you mentioned. She's probably the best sword character in the game and doesn't get blown up by shorties. She also obliterates a lot of the rushdown/juggling centric characters offstage, as they tend to have very exploitable recoveries like Fox, Falcon, Ness, Cloud, Chrom, Wolf, Corrin, Ike, Etc...I'm sure you get the point.

Young Link is good too as he has the same zoning/edgeguard centric playstyle, but has a faster falling speed with disjointed down air, is short himself, and has great frame data(f4 nair wow).

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I was contemplating Ridley as well, but the issue with Samus is that she's prone to being juggled. Ridley probably gets juggled even harder, due to that hurtbox size and relatively light weight. Do you think a proper sword character like Lucina or Shulk would be better?
Ridley isn't for everyone. He takes time and dedication. I consider him a low tier, and that was before ZeRo's recent tier list video. Lucina sounds like she's currently the best FE character. I fought a Shulk once very early in SSBU. He destroyed me. I don't know how good Shulk is, but if you're at least remotely concerned with the tier list, Lucina might be your go-to choice.

I appreciate the follow.

Neldy09

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3883-7038-5930
I mostly played Samus in Smash 4, and that was the first Smash game that I tried to learn to play in a semi competitive way. The problem with focusing on Samus is that I never had to push myself to get too creative with the neutral, thanks to her projectile game, as most people feel like they need to approach me. In this game I've started trying to learn Fox and ZSS alongside Samus, and they've pushed me to learn things I hadn't in needed in the past.

CharlieDW

Smash Rookie
I've been bouncing around with a lot of characters as possible secondaries and I think at the moment I'm going to focus on Young Link.

Top Bottom