• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible New Tripping Mechanic?

C-G

Smash Journeyman
So recently, I've been combing over my man Wario and his new changes. The most notable is footage going around of Wario Fair causing a Trip state on his enemies. It's a pretty big thing worth exploring. You can see it here and also here

However, new footage of BAIR tripping has surfaced. For those unfamiliar, it's Wario's aerial kill move and a noted hard hitter. You can see it here being performed on Roy.

I was willing to chalk this up as a unique feature to Fair, but on Bair, it's just really perplexing. I have a theory that it's a more global mechanic not limited to his two moves. In each instance, it's worth noting that the tripped character was in recovery frames for some move, so that may be the factor, I do not know. It might not even be limited to Wario.

So if it's not Wario specific, I'd like to know, hence the purpose of this thread. Does anyone have video evidence of this happening with any other character other than Wario? Some, light hitting move that wouldn't cause a launch instead causing a trip? Video evidence greatly appreciated. Bonus points if it hits an opponent while they're performing a move

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
One thing is certain. It can only be done against a grounded opponent. Wario's amount of damage also has no role in whether or not tripping will occur. It might just be random.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, attacks can only trip fighters if the knockback angle is set to 0, 180, or the Sakurai Angle. However, the Sakurai Angle can no longer make fighters trip if they take more than 60 units of knockback while on the ground.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
...This isn't a new mechanic. Brawl and Smash 4 also had attacks (usually down tilts) that could cause tripping.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
...This isn't a new mechanic. Brawl and Smash 4 also had attacks (usually down tilts) that could cause tripping.
I think you're missing what mechanic I'm alluding to, friend. Thus far, all of the trips have happened on counterhit. If it happened to other characters, universal counterhit mechanic. If not, Wario specific.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think you're missing what mechanic I'm alluding to, friend. Thus far, all of the trips have happened on counterhit. If it happened to other characters, universal counterhit mechanic. If not, Wario specific.
Now you're just flat-out not making sense. "Before, trips happened on counterhit, now they happen on counterhit."
BDDCAA9C-4CD3-4B1E-84A5-6DAE08E2BA31.gif

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Now you're just flat-out not making sense. "Before, trips happened on counterhit, now they happen on counterhit."
Tripping did not happen on counterhit before, nor am I saying it ever did. Tripping was just an attribute that some attacks had if they did not launch foes, amplified by a move's own stats. Some had a massively exaggerated percent to trip (DK Dtilt, for example), but the base line was 7%, with people usually unable to cause a trip due to high Knockback.

I've seen several moves on WAH cause tripping now that shouldn't before. Each time, an opponent has been in recovery and the move Wario used SHOULD have launched the opponent (Fair on Chrom when he was at over 60%, Bair at literally any time). I'm not even saying this is a thing. All I'm asking for is if anyone has seen anything similar in any of their own character changes to get perspective.

So have you seen anything or not?

Top Bottom