• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible New Tech

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
I was screwing around in Training Mode when I accidentally stumbled across something awesome. This tech may be old news since I'm not up to speed on all of the tech. If that's the case, consider this a refresher course. If it's actually new, it will change the way you play Mewtwo in Smash Ultimate. I call it the Double Jump Shadow Ball Cancel.

-What does it do?
This tech allows you to cancel your Shadow Ball charging animation as you land from either a short hop or full hop, placing you in a standing position.

-How is it performed?
This tech is fairly simple to perform. While charging your Shadow Ball, simply activate your double jump right before you land. You need to do this about 0.35 units to the ground or closer.

-Why does this work?
While in the air you can cancel out of your charging animation with a double jump. But when you double jump while you are falling, you actually continue to fall a tiny bit before you go up. By double jumping just before you land, you enter the start of the animation but because you continue to fall for a brief moment, you end up landing on the ground instead just as if you landed from a regular jump.

-Why is this important?
While charging Shadow Ball your defensive options remain. You can spot dodge, roll, and shield just as fast as you can from a standing position. Offensive options, however are limited to Shadow Ball itself and aerials. You cannot grab, jab, tilt, or smash attack as these inputs will instead just throw out your Shadow Ball. Since this tech ends you in a standing position, your entire offensive arsenal is at your disposal the second you land on the ground. This is absolutely huge and gives Mewtwo an incredible range of options upon landing.

Leo_Nardo

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry to ruin your discovery, but this tech was already in Smash4 and Melee ^^"
Also, you can Double Jump Cancel Disable, too :)

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Ah well. I'm sure it will be useful for people like me who weren't aware of it. But I also found out you can cancel it on the ground by pressing and releasing the shield button like a short hop. Is this old news as well?

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Ah well. I'm sure it will be useful for people like me who weren't aware of it. But I also found out you can cancel it on the ground by pressing and releasing the shield button like a short hop. Is this old news as well?
About 17 years old, yes

Gizeh

Smash Rookie
I see no use at making another post for this so i'm gonna use this one to post my "discovery".
It also might have been a thing for a while but I felt like it came from the new dash/running mechanic in ultimate.
I was trying to get the hang of b-reversing my shadow ball and I realised you actually can do a quick turn around from a platform using shadow ball.
Basically, you run to the edge of the platform, as soon as mewto falls from it you flick the analog stick to the opposite direction and then press B.
It's kinda the same thing as b reversing but you won't gain any momentum.

It can get kind of tricky to get down from platform in ultimate so this could be a possible answer when someome applies pressure to you as much as a way to punish him from doing so.
I can see some other uses and mix up in neutral like conditionning the opponent to shield when you do so, use this old tech leejaybird talked about to cancel the shadowball, and dash grab.

Leo_Nardo

Smash Rookie
I see no use at making another post for this so i'm gonna use this one to post my "discovery".
It also might have been a thing for a while but I felt like it came from the new dash/running mechanic in ultimate.
I was trying to get the hang of b-reversing my shadow ball and I realised you actually can do a quick turn around from a platform using shadow ball.
Basically, you run to the edge of the platform, as soon as mewto falls from it you flick the analog stick to the opposite direction and then press B.
It's kinda the same thing as b reversing but you won't gain any momentum.
Yeah, this is a thing, too, it's called Turnaround Special. Combine it with a B-Reverse and you get a Wavebounce :)
Run to the edge/jump > :GCL::GCB::GCR:

Top Bottom