• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Marth Foxtrot Tech Chase/Reset Situation and Usage?

sijon

Smash Ace
After thinking of what Marth can do to opponents who miss a tech or successfully perform a tech/tech roll, I came up with an idea that Marth players should try to implement. It involves the Marth player hitting the opponent (f-smash for example) and the opponent DI's away but misses the tech. I feel like lots of people (including myself) forget just how useful a simple old foxtrot can be in certain situations..

Lets use my previous example as an explanation. After the f-smash, the opponent DI's away, in an attempt to prevent getting hit by Marth's f-air strings or foxtrot f-smash but misses the tech while doing so. In this situation, the opponent has only a few options, most of which can be covered using a foxtrot. Here are some of the options and how they can be covered...

-Opponent techs in place: After doing the foxtrot, if you can react to this, you can gain a free foxtrot f-smash. Just input another foxtrot, then immediately flick the c-stick forward to cancel it into a stutter step f-smash

-Opponent techs away (away from player): After doing the foxtrot, you can either try to read the roll and continue holding forward, punishing with a running grab or dash attack (pretty much any move you can do immediately out of a running animation, even f-air)

-Opponent techs behind (behind the player): This may be a bit harder to do since it harder to predict and punish this. If you know your opponents habits well, then go for this stylish punish. Here's how --> After doing the first foxtrot, input another foxtrot then immediately cancel it into a foxtrot into the opposite direction, following up with whatever you like, most preferably a boost pivot grab or f-smash. It should look a little something like this (from around 4:26 to 4:29, realistically without the insane punish afterward lol) :https://youtu.be/nrZAgEnoL6c?t=266

-Opponent waits on ground: When the opponent does something like this, they usually are trying to mindgame you into doing something. After doing the first foxtrot, if you see you're opponent stay grounded slightly longer after the grounded tumble state (the bounce that a character does after landing and missing a tech), just stay in shield and wait for their option or just throw out a quick f-smash. If you opt to stay in shield, wait for the option and react and punish accordingly. Don't let them make you wait too long though or to the point where you're shield gets low.

That's pretty much it. Try to consider using these for opponents who would expect a f-smash or f-air after being hit.
Some of you might think, "Lol wtf man, why not just use stutter step f-smash?". Well my answer to that would be if that you use it if you don't feel confident in the f-smash connecting, especially for small characters that can drift away easily like Jigglypuff or Wario. Also, just cause it looks so damn sexy when performed... stylin

Thanks, might edit with pictures and whatnot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom