• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible changes for Link (To celebrate 3.6 being announced)

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Some changes I'd like to see for Link.

I'm sure at least some of you would like to see our boy get a few things in the upcoming patch.

I'mma keep this short and sweet and I hope you guys give me feedback on my ideas and perhaps propose some of your own.
-----
First off, one change I'd like to see happen is that down-smash causes a knockdown when CC'd

I can't even begin to explain how frustrating it is to be punished for hitting people with a DOWN SMASH of all things.

This is something that honestly should be fixed, and I hope I'm not alone here.
-----
The next couple of changes are bomb-centric.

1. Maybe reduce the frames of the bomb pull.

2. (And this is the important one.) Bombs should explode on contact.

This includes on shields and any hitbox that collides with a bomb. (Including sword hitboxes)
-----
I'd also like Zair to lose the lag on it, but I know that's not likely, so I won't go into too much detail there.
-----

That's pretty much it for my initial input.

If you have any ideas or feedback, please lemme know what you think.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Some changes I'd like to see for Link.

I'm sure at least some of you would like to see our boy get a few things in the upcoming patch.

I'mma keep this short and sweet and I hope you guys give me feedback on my ideas and perhaps propose some of your own.
-----
First off, one change I'd like to see happen is that down-smash causes a knockdown when CC'd

I can't even begin to explain how frustrating it is to be punished for hitting people with a DOWN SMASH of all things.

This is something that honestly should be fixed, and I hope I'm not alone here.
-----
The next couple of changes are bomb-centric.

1. Maybe reduce the frames of the bomb pull.

2. (And this is the important one.) Bombs should explode on contact.

This includes on shields and any hitbox that collides with a bomb. (Including sword hitboxes)
-----
I'd also like Zair to lose the lag on it, but I know that's not likely, so I won't go into too much detail there.
-----

That's pretty much it for my initial input.

If you have any ideas or feedback, please lemme know what you think.
Well I have to disagree with you there on having the bombs "explode on contact". I love them just the way they are. How else would we be able to bomb punt? That's way less likely than Zair having less landlag. I'd also like to see Zair back to how it was in Brawl/Sm4sh in general, at least for the most part. I hate what they did to it.

But if there's any changes I want more, it's:
1. Give Link reliable kill moves outside of Dair, Fair and grounded up b (make Fsmash at least as strong as Fox's Usmash for how slow it is, Usmash should have better knockback growth so that it can function as a kill move, and if possible, consider the same for Uthrow).
2. Bring back tether cancelling & buff bomb recovery (the uthrow bomb into up b thing).

Last edited:

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Well I have to disagree with you there on having the bombs "explode on contact". I love them just the way they are. How else would we be able to bomb punt? That's way less likely than Zair having less landlag. I'd also like to see Zair back to how it was in Brawl/Sm4sh in general, at least for the most part. I hate what they did to it.

But if there's any changes I want more, it's:
1. Give Link reliable kill moves outside of Dair, Fair and grounded up b (make Fsmash at least as strong as Fox's Usmash for how slow it is, Usmash should have better knockback growth so that it can function as a kill move, and if possible, consider the same for Uthrow).
2. Bring back tether cancelling & buff bomb recovery (the uthrow bomb into up b thing).

I see bomb punting as a cool thing you can do, but not something you'd really do outside of style points.

I proposed the idea of contact detonation to make it so that bomb jumping actually worked again.

Also, to mitigate the issue of shielded bombs being grabbed by a WD out of shield.

It's a REALLY easy thing to do and makes bombs less effective as a zoning tool in general.

Melee's bomb jumping is easier to do than 3.5. I find that to be a little too much.

------

I'd be all for the buffing of the KB on Link's F-smash, but increasing it to Fox U-smash levels seems a tad excessive.

As for U-smash, I feel it should stay the same, only because it's a pretty important part of his combo game.

Making the move have more knockback would hurt his combo game as it would inhibit his ability to go into the U-airs or set up the boomerang for extensions.

------

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
Bomb that bounce off shield are a blast ! Hope it stays that way :p

Else I'm with you : less lag on Zair would be awesome, but imo it would be a bit OP

Buffing KB on Dair (just a bit because even at quite high percent, it still won't kill...), or at least buff KB on Fsmash, such a slow move that doesn't kill. (But it couldn't be like Fox Upsmash, it has other advantages, like it is a double-hit)

Else, I would like to see some (little) changes on his Tilts.
F-tilt just suck... I just don't see where it is the best option.. or at least a good option... Sooo slow, and no killing power... Maybe for edgeguard some char, but, upB is better, downSmash into Fair is better...

Uptilt, is useful to begin a combo but it's slow... I would be ok not to change it, but a small little nerf wouldn't be too much imo.

D-tilt, is maybe a bit too slow, and doesn't really anything else that Dsmash does... Or maybe a better meteor hitbox... it is SO HARD to make it work ! (but how wonderful it is to place it on fox/falco sideB :D )

That's about it. Dunno what we are going to have, but hope to see only slight changes. :)

Last edited:

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Bomb that bounce off shield are a blast ! Hope it stays that way :p

Else I'm with you : less lag on Zair would be awesome, but imo it would be a bit OP

Buffing KB on Dair (just a bit because even at quite high percent, it still won't kill...), or at least buff KB on Fsmash, such a slow move that doesn't kill. (But it couldn't be like Fox Upsmash, it has other advantages, like it is a double-hit)

Else, I would like to see some (little) changes on his Tilts.
F-tilt just suck... I just don't see where it is the best option.. or at least a good option... Sooo slow, and no killing power... Maybe for edgeguard some char, but, upB is better, downSmash into Fair is better...

Uptilt, is useful to begin a combo but it's slow... I would be ok not to change it, but a small little nerf wouldn't be too much imo.

D-tilt, is maybe a bit too slow, and doesn't really anything else that Dsmash does... Or maybe a better meteor hitbox... it is SO HARD to make it work ! (but how wonderful it is to place it on fox/falco sideB :D )

That's about it. Dunno what we are going to have, but hope to see only slight changes. :)
I don't see any foreseeable nerfs happening for Link, seeing as how Link's viability had plummeted since 3.5 came out.

The reason I'm for the bomb changes is because of the lost bomb recovery and people grabbing my bomb with a WD out of shield after I throw it.

If they explode immediately, they don't get that option.

I honestly feel like it means that characters like Fox and Sheik have to respect you more in neutral or when they get hit.

My aim is to improve Link's viability and his bad matchups.

The D-smash, bomb, and Zair changes all seem necessary to that end.

I'm not trying to push the character to top tier or anything, I just want a more viable Link for 3.6

The D-smash thing bothers me most, though.

Because I do the jab > jab > d-smash setup

And if you get hit by ALL of that, I don't feel you deserve to punish me for it.

I'll cut it off there before I go into a tangent on JUST D-smash xD

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
Haha, yeah I fully understand, and agree with you.

bombs exploding on contact could be very useful, and a really good zoning tool... but that would remove the possibility to drop a bomb on the floor to use it as a preventive mine, or to use it afterward... I don't know, I really love all the tricks we can do with bombs, and that would throw it away :/
I'm sure it can leads to better MU, but if I could chose, I would not change this, but this is my opinion ^_^

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Haha, yeah I fully understand, and agree with you.

bombs exploding on contact could be very useful, and a really good zoning tool... but that would remove the possibility to drop a bomb on the floor to use it as a preventive mine, or to use it afterward... I don't know, I really love all the tricks we can do with bombs, and that would throw it away :/
I'm sure it can leads to better MU, but if I could chose, I would not change this, but this is my opinion ^_^
I understand liking the tricks and stuff, but most of those things are gimmicks at best unfortunately.

A simple wave dash kills almost all of the bomb setting and bomb shielding setups, because they get to pick up the bombs and use them.

It's such a frustrating thing.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I see bomb punting as a cool thing you can do, but not something you'd really do outside of style points.

I proposed the idea of contact detonation to make it so that bomb jumping actually worked again.

Also, to mitigate the issue of shielded bombs being grabbed by a WD out of shield.

It's a REALLY easy thing to do and makes bombs less effective as a zoning tool in general.

Melee's bomb jumping is easier to do than 3.5. I find that to be a little too much.

------

I'd be all for the buffing of the KB on Link's F-smash, but increasing it to Fox U-smash levels seems a tad excessive.

As for U-smash, I feel it should stay the same, only because it's a pretty important part of his combo game.

Making the move have more knockback would hurt his combo game as it would inhibit his ability to go into the U-airs or set up the boomerang for extensions.

------
Yeah, but then it would kinda take away some of what makes Link fun to play in PM. And no, it's not mainly for style points. It has it's uses. If you want to buff bombs, why not just shorten the fuse on them like in Sm4sh? Now, I'm not saying that the fuse should be as short as in Sm4sh. But that way, it would give opponents a lot less time to think about what to do with them if ever they do catch one. I'd imagine it would help Link's recovery as well, since there would be a higher chance that the bomb would save you if you happen to be in trouble offstage.

Last edited:

J3f

Smash Cadet
I understand liking the tricks and stuff, but most of those things are gimmicks at best unfortunately.

A simple wave dash kills almost all of the bomb setting and bomb shielding setups, because they get to pick up the bombs and use them.

It's such a frustrating thing.
It's not gimmicky, changing bombs to contact explosives would completely change how bomb jumping is done and if it could be done at all.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
We're also missing something pretty vital here. Link's running speed. This would not only help him a great deal in the neutral if it were to be buffed, but it would extend combos as well. And I'm not talking about a tiny buff. Make it noticeable.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
We're also missing something pretty vital here. Link's running speed. This would not only help him a great deal in the neutral if it were to be buffed, but it would extend combos as well. And I'm not talking about a tiny buff. Make it noticeable.
More than anything, I want this.

I didn't add it to the OP because I thought I'd be flamed for it. lol

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
It's not gimmicky, changing bombs to contact explosives would completely change how bomb jumping is done and if it could be done at all.
It would work.

The problem with bomb umping in the current build is that the hits of Up-B are not strong enough to break the bomb.

Only the LAST hit is strong enough, and it's impractical to set up. (I.e, it doesn't work lol)

If they were changed into contact explosives, you'd simply have to touch the bomb to make it work.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It would work.

The problem with bomb umping in the current build is that the hits of Up-B are not strong enough to break the bomb.

Only the LAST hit is strong enough, and it's impractical to set up. (I.e, it doesn't work lol)

If they were changed into contact explosives, you'd simply have to touch the bomb to make it work.
But then that would make bomb jumping too easy. Anyone decent enough to know how to perform this will be able to come back from anywhere, which is something the PMBR was aiming to get rid of; stupid recoveries. They should just try to emulate how bomb jumps worked pre-3.5, just not quite as good.

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
Okay been a Link main since my join date, so ill just give my opinion on what would make link perfect for everyone.

Just scrap the new bomb jump system all together, and take it back to the way it was in melee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNrI1O9zqIk

Link needs a movement speed buff, there is no reason for him to be this slow. Considering link is pretty normal-speed/above average speed in the newer games. Skyward sword is a good example. It doesn't need to be fast, but just not slow. NORMAL-AVERAGE speed would be nice.

His down air and down smash were better kill moves in Melee, simply tweak it back to melee standards for KB.
His forward tilt in PM is trash, but since i like to use his smash 4 forward tilt which is godlike, its a great kill move, with great range, and no lag. Asking for one as good as this would be too much, but a buff to forward tilt is extremely needed. D-tilt should be faster as well.

Last edited:

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Okay been a Link main since my join date, so ill just give my opinion on what would make link perfect for everyone.

Just scrap the new bomb jump system all together, and take it back to the way it was in melee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNrI1O9zqIk

Link needs a movement speed buff, there is no reason for him to be this slow. Considering link is pretty normal-speed/above average speed in the newer games. Skyward sword is a good example. It doesn't need to be fast, but just not slow. NORMAL-AVERAGE speed would be nice.

His down air and down smash were better kill moves in Melee, simply tweak it back to melee standards for KB.
His forward tilt in PM is trash, but since i like to use his smash 4 forward tilt which is godlike, its a great kill move, with great range, and no lag. Asking for one as good as this would be too much, but a buff to forward tilt is extremely needed. D-tilt should be faster as well.
ALL OF THIS

MAKE IT SO, PMDT!!

Last edited:

J3f

Smash Cadet
I don't want an exceptionally faster Link, that's Toon Link's niche. Just a less laggy Link like in 3.02.

I'm also waiting for Link's bomb game to be fully exploited to the extent that Shines are.

Here's me showing off what bombs can really do:

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
I would love faster roll too... Maybe that's too much to ask, I dunno, but Link's roll are reaaaaally easy to punish, so slow I could make me a sandwich and eat it before doing a jab !

So yeah an overall speedbuff would be great :) (not much, just a bit to be able to compete against char like shiek)
Else Link is quite fun and good on this version :)

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I would love faster roll too... Maybe that's too much to ask, I dunno, but Link's roll are reaaaaally easy to punish, so slow I could make me a sandwich and eat it before doing a jab !

So yeah an overall speedbuff would be great :) (not much, just a bit to be able to compete against char like shiek)
Else Link is quite fun and good on this version :)
I want more tools for the Sheik MU.

That's the main reason I proposed what I did in the OP.

Thor

Smash Champion
Some of my ideas are workable, some probably constitute insanity in PM [or even Brawl Minus]. Whatever.

Put fair back to being 0 on shield when perfectly spaced. It was that way in Melee, so give it back its full percent and reduce the KBG to 3.02 or whatever.

Don't make bomb jumping stale up+B - pretty sure it doesn't in Melee and so if it does so in PM, that's dumb. Even then, if it does stale in Melee, Snake can bomb-jump consistently, why not Link?

Speed jab up to frame 4-5 with a compensating percent nerf [and actually possible, frame 5-6 would stil be nice]. Currently, all of Link's aerials [sans spaced zair and well-spaced fair] are completely shieldgrabbable [and a mis-spaced fair and zair ARE grabbable as well].

Rapid jab not being shieldgrabbable would be nice. I am pretty sure Falco's can't be shieldgrabbed, and Falco already has shine anyway.

Zair less landing lag and dsmash breaking CCs would be appreciated, though I feel that's not where crucial buffs could occur. Dtilt breaking CCs would be nice.

*Insert frame data buff to utilt* I don't know numbers, but a frame or 2 (or 3? It's frame 9 as of now, frame 6 or 7 would be sweet since that's the first active frame, not the overhead part) would be nice.

Now for my truly crazy idea [like, stupid crazy]: Link's up+B sped up to frame 5 (or 6), frame 8 (or 9) on backside, as opposed to the current 8/11 [or maybe it's 7/10], while moving up other hitboxes as needed. Link is invincible on frames 1-8 (or 1-9). Now add maybe 15 or 20 frames of endlag [some cool flourish animation or something.]

Yes it's crazy, but it would give Link a genuine dragon punch OoS, something currently several characters have, like Samus, Bowser, Mario, GnW, etc. [though Bowser and GnW's are pretty safe, all things considered], which is why they can actually somewhat safely shield - the escape valve can be baited, but read the bait, do something else out of shield, you're out. Link must be holding a bomb to shield with some sort of safety, and that's very limited protection at best [pulling bombs vs the fast characters is hard enough anyway, when they can just nair or grab armor through the boomerang]. This would reduce the utility of it for edgeguarding and make it even easier to punish if whiffed, but it would be a huge boon to Link and help him go from a slow character that really shouldn't be shielding to a character where attacking the shield becomes a risky proposition, while at the same time being very baitable and punishable.

Speed buffs? Eh, I think movement speed buffs sort of make him way more like TL. I'd rather make Link better than just make him more like a faster clone. I think speed buffs from a frame data perspective would help a lot, but just moving faster...? Would be useful, but primarily serve to make him more annoying, and a lot of people would whine more about that than about Link's jab being slightly faster.

Make ftilt not suck.

Buff recovery? Bomb jump changes would be nice, but other fixes to his recovery [primarily tether being less awful vs most of the cast like Falcon and Jiggs] would be appreciated.

As an afterthought: Would be happy if nothing about Link was changed except we got the jab buff OR the dragon punch and maybe one or two other changes. Would be amazed and elated if we got more than that. I feel as though I can at best expect much, much less.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Some of my ideas are workable, some probably constitute insanity in PM [or even Brawl Minus]. Whatever.

Put fair back to being 0 on shield when perfectly spaced. It was that way in Melee, so give it back its full percent and reduce the KBG to 3.02 or whatever.

Don't make bomb jumping stale up+B - pretty sure it doesn't in Melee and so if it does so in PM, that's dumb. Even then, if it does stale in Melee, Snake can bomb-jump consistently, why not Link?

Speed jab up to frame 4-5 with a compensating percent nerf [and actually possible, frame 5-6 would stil be nice]. Currently, all of Link's aerials [sans spaced zair and well-spaced fair] are completely shieldgrabbable [and a mis-spaced fair and zair ARE grabbable as well].

Rapid jab not being shieldgrabbable would be nice. I am pretty sure Falco's can't be shieldgrabbed, and Falco already has shine anyway.

Zair less landing lag and dsmash breaking CCs would be appreciated, though I feel that's not where crucial buffs could occur. Dtilt breaking CCs would be nice.

*Insert frame data buff to utilt* I don't know numbers, but a frame or 2 (or 3? It's frame 9 as of now, frame 6 or 7 would be sweet since that's the first active frame, not the overhead part) would be nice.

Now for my truly crazy idea [like, stupid crazy]: Link's up+B sped up to frame 5 (or 6), frame 8 (or 9) on backside, as opposed to the current 8/11 [or maybe it's 7/10], while moving up other hitboxes as needed. Link is invincible on frames 1-8 (or 1-9). Now add maybe 15 or 20 frames of endlag [some cool flourish animation or something.]

Yes it's crazy, but it would give Link a genuine dragon punch OoS, something currently several characters have, like Samus, Bowser, Mario, GnW, etc. [though Bowser and GnW's are pretty safe, all things considered], which is why they can actually somewhat safely shield - the escape valve can be baited, but read the bait, do something else out of shield, you're out. Link must be holding a bomb to shield with some sort of safety, and that's very limited protection at best [pulling bombs vs the fast characters is hard enough anyway, when they can just nair or grab armor through the boomerang]. This would reduce the utility of it for edgeguarding and make it even easier to punish if whiffed, but it would be a huge boon to Link and help him go from a slow character that really shouldn't be shielding to a character where attacking the shield becomes a risky proposition, while at the same time being very baitable and punishable.

Speed buffs? Eh, I think movement speed buffs sort of make him way more like TL. I'd rather make Link better than just make him more like a faster clone. I think speed buffs from a frame data perspective would help a lot, but just moving faster...? Would be useful, but primarily serve to make him more annoying, and a lot of people would whine more about that than about Link's jab being slightly faster.

Make ftilt not suck.

Buff recovery? Bomb jump changes would be nice, but other fixes to his recovery [primarily tether being less awful vs most of the cast like Falcon and Jiggs] would be appreciated.

As an afterthought: Would be happy if nothing about Link was changed except we got the jab buff OR the dragon punch and maybe one or two other changes. Would be amazed and elated if we got more than that. I feel as though I can at best expect much, much less.
Wait, what? Making Link faster would make him more like Toon Link? Is that an April fool's joke? How would that make them so much more similar at all? They would still handel very differently. Especially with the major changes they've made to Tinks move set. Also, just look at Link in Sm4sh. His running speed is faster (and pretty much faster overall, but Tink is still faster in the air and on the ground), but does it really make them so much more similar in that game? Nope.

Thor

Smash Champion
Wait, what? Making Link faster would make him more like Toon Link? Is that an April fool's joke? How would that make them so much more similar at all? They would still handel very differently. Especially with the major changes they've made to Tinks move set. Also, just look at Link in Sm4sh. His running speed is faster (and pretty much faster overall, but Tink is still faster in the air and on the ground), but does it really make them so much more similar in that game? Nope.
I tried to post this last night, but no it's not.

I'm trying to imagine how much faster "faster" is - no it wouldn't make them identical or whatever, but if Falco ran faster, he'd be more like Fox, in the way that Link running faster would be more like TL. I guess I envisioned them with the same runspeed, which I think would be lame. A slight speed buff would be appreciated I guess, but I'd still rather just be able to deploy hitboxes faster, instead of being able to move around faster.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Hey folks, saw a few misconceptions and inaccuracies that I wanted to clarify real quick.

Link needs a movement speed buff, there is no reason for him to be this slow.
For the record, he's already received a dash buff in 2.6, and a jumpsquat (also helpful in wavedashing) speedup in 3.5.
Link's Dsmash has the same damage, priority, and BKB as Melee. The KBG is actually slightly higher in PM. (90->95). The range is actually probably a bit better since the sword is longer, too.
Link's Dair is has the exact same stats as Melee, but with five/ten frames less landing lag. (L-Canceled vs. not)
His forward tilt in PM is trash, but since i like to use his smash 4 forward tilt which is godlike, its a great kill move, with great range, and no lag.
3.5 Ftilt is one frame faster (frame 13 vs 14) than Smash 4's. It also does more damage (13-15 vs. 13), and KBG. Smash 4 Ftilt does admittedly have stupidly high BKB though, which would be hugely abnormal in Project M. (About the same as Marth's Fsmash flub.) No info on the IASA of Smash 4 Ftilt, but since the move itself is active 3 frames later than PM's, I doubt it's any faster.
D-tilt should be faster as well.
Excluding prior versions of Project M, Link's Dtilt has never been as fast as 3.5. It does one more damage in S4, but is also harder to meteor with.
Link's Forward-Air does more damage (shield advantage) and has the same landing lag compared to Melee.
Speed jab up to frame 4-5 with a compensating percent nerf [and actually possible, frame 5-6 would stil be nice].
It's frame 6 already in 3.5.

Thor

Smash Champion
Hey folks, saw a few misconceptions and inaccuracies that I wanted to clarify real quick.

For the record, he's already received a dash buff in 2.6, and a jumpsquat (also helpful in wavedashing) speedup in 3.5.

Link's Dsmash has the same damage, priority, and BKB as Melee. The KBG is actually slightly higher in PM. (90->95). The range is actually probably a bit better since the sword is longer, too.
Link's Dair is has the exact same stats as Melee, but with five/ten frames less landing lag. (L-Canceled vs. not)

3.5 Ftilt is one frame faster (frame 13 vs 14) than Smash 4's. It also does more damage (13-15 vs. 13), and KBG. Smash 4 Ftilt does admittedly have stupidly high BKB though, which would be hugely abnormal in Project M. (About the same as Marth's Fsmash flub.) No info on the IASA of Smash 4 Ftilt, but since the move itself is active 3 frames later than PM's, I doubt it's any faster.

Excluding prior versions of Project M, Link's Dtilt has never been as fast as 3.5. It does one more damage in S4, but is also harder to meteor with.

Link's Forward-Air does more damage (shield advantage) and has the same landing lag compared to Melee.

I would take extra percent and harder to meteor with, since that may be the difference in PM between being like -8 and -7 on shield. Meteor's impractical anyway [even though I've landed it multiple times in tournament lol].

Our frame data threads must all suck terribly, unless you're somehow mistaken:

http://smashboards.com/threads/link-frame-data-thread-3-5.388609/ , http://smashboards.com/threads/link-hitboxes-and-frame-data.306010/

Also the updates log says Link fair was taken from 15 to 14% from 3.02 to 3.5 [though it is no longer on the PM main page]. I know many Link players in other threads noted this was enough to push Link's fair from being 0 on shield to -1. We must have our numbers all wrong or something, unless this is something with the physics engine or whatever.

Jab has a body hitbox frame 6 [or rather, one that is very close to the body, but not very useful unless you're point blank], but the useful part of jab is frame 7. Moving each of those up one or two frames would be very, very nice. Or else this is just more bad frame data relayed on to me by various people <_< [not an idea I'm fond of, but I'll assume it's possible based on all the weirdness of fair I'm hearing].

Also, would not mind a different, faster ftilt, not just making current ftilt faster. A spin kick might not be canon or whatever, but it'd probably be faster and way more useful for zoning [I'm thinking along the lines of Falco ftilt, except he spins as he does it]. Sure, we can't edgeguard with it, but if it's better for on-stage use, I think most of us would appreciate that.

Last edited:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I would take extra percent and harder to meteor with, since that may be the difference in PM between being like -8 and -7 on shield. Meteor's impractical anyway [even though I've landed it multiple times in tournament lol].
The Dtilt was also like two frames slower in Smash 4, iirc. (I've closed all of my comparison windows since my last post.)

Our frame data threads must all suck terribly, unless you're somehow mistaken:
http://smashboards.com/threads/link-frame-data-thread-3-5.388609/ , http://smashboards.com/threads/link-hitboxes-and-frame-data.306010/

Also the updates log says Link fair was taken from 15 to 14% from 3.02 to 3.5 [though it is no longer on the PM main page]. I know many Link players in other threads noted this was enough to push Link's fair from being 0 on shield to -1. We must have our numbers all wrong or something, unless this is something with the physics engine or whatever.
I have a feeling that the Melee information is off in terms of frame advantage - Link's Fair is nearly identical on the first swipe between Melee and Project M, except for it does 14% compared to Melee's 13, and PM's has more BKB.

I was getting my information directly from Smash Attacks and Masterhand.

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
Don't mean to have an almost-hurtful gif for this, but if Run speed changes are to be noticeable, Animation should be changed.
http://oi42.tinypic.com/2vhx54m.jpg
Is from a pretty well animated hack that puts Link's Run as the Stamina Dash from Skyward Sword.

Not necessarily for replacement but for inspiration.
Just something to consider if a movement buff is considered.

Thor

Smash Champion
If the formula is floor[(damage + 4.45)/2.235]], then fair would be 0 on shield in Melee, but it would be +1 in PM. Notably, however, fair would also be +1 if it was at 15%, like in 3.02 [if this formula is right].

I don't know why several people said it was -1 on shield then... @ E EmptySky00 might know something? He was messing around in debug and discussed some cool stuff Link would do a while back, and he might know something, since I think he was discussing this with people a while back.

In any case, @ Shadic Shadic on a scale of 1 to no, how likely is my dragon punch up+b change?

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
If the formula is floor[(damage + 4.45)/2.235]], then fair would be 0 on shield in Melee, but it would be +1 in PM. Notably, however, fair would also be +1 if it was at 15%, like in 3.02 [if this formula is right].

I don't know why several people said it was -1 on shield then... @ E EmptySky00 might know something? He was messing around in debug and discussed some cool stuff Link would do a while back, and he might know something, since I think he was discussing this with people a while back.

In any case, @ Shadic Shadic on a scale of 1 to no, how likely is my dragon punch up+b change?
Ya, it should still be +1 I think (assuming you hit the frame before you land). I think the assumption that it's not as good on shield comes from the damage nerf itself and our assumption of its purpose. I initially assumed it was done to make it less good on shield, but the formula sheet says it changed nothing so... There you have it.

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman

But have you been playing Link lately? He is still slow, its frustrating when you can't follow on combo oppertunity simply because your movement speed isn't up to par. Really a jumpsquat buff? Who asked for that? He still has the 2nd (?) worst wave dash in the game bro, in my opinion that isn't nearly enough to make a difference. Reducing his lag, or increasing his movement speed to match/mirror get as close to of at least smash 4 Link speed would be amazing.

Very helpful, thanks.

I feel like the biggest difference is that smash 4 forward tilt has better hitbox range in general. Or so it seems. But the info is appreciated.

I would also like to see the final hit on Link's aerial upB become a kill move, as it stand now its useless outside of recovery. It would also be nice to land most of the hits consecutively.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
The Dtilt was also like two frames slower in Smash 4, iirc. (I've closed all of my comparison windows since my last post.)

I have a feeling that the Melee information is off in terms of frame advantage - Link's Fair is nearly identical on the first swipe between Melee and Project M, except for it does 14% compared to Melee's 13, and PM's has more BKB.

I was getting my information directly from Smash Attacks and Masterhand.
Link's run is still too slow imo. Buffing it just a noticeable amount more would really help him out in neutral. Especially in his current bad MUs.

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
Since this thread is happening, I will re-post my proposed changes for Link. Though I'm sure you guys have already done what was going to be done to him and tested it.

Color coded for readability.

I don't think Link needs any big character changing buffs. He just needs a few small buffs here and there on his useless and already useful moves. I believe he is in a good place moveset and playstyle wise, he just needs some help.

FIXES:

1.Fixed hitbubble on tip of Uair (this should have been done ages ago.) Link uair.png

2.Visual fix on utilts first few frames where the sword is in front of link and goes into the zaxis.(it just strait up misses characters right in front of him when it looks like it should hit. Very confusing and
inconsistent as it always hit's big or tall characters but never small ones due to how far he goes into the zaxis and how long his sword stays there before coming out a bit above Marios head level. IMG-20130108-00711.jpg IMG-20130108-00712.jpg

Edit: The hitbubble on the later parts of Links boomerang could stand to match the animation a bit better for consistence sake. This mostly effects links matchups with smaller shorter characters. Though I would pair this with the other changes/nerfs I propose.

BUFFS:

1. 2% added to last hit of up-b, nerf the damage on the second and third hit to add up to the original damage. (giving you 2 more shots at a bomb jump, and more uses onstage without losing recovery options)

2. Melee bomb knockback with slightly increased scaling so getting a bomb hit is more rewarding.(this would also make bomb jumping less effective and balance it out with the proposed up-b last hit damage buff.)

3. 1 frame off the start of Jab 1 ( going from frame 6 to 5) Giving him one fast option to beat out faster characters (this is links fastest ground based move and that is a sad thing for a character with low mobility and high endlag on most grounded moves)

4. Lower angle of ftilt (allowing link to get characters off stage faster and set up for his gimp game, while outright killing at higher percents. This is a slow move that needs to be placed well to be effective and that would not change. Currently Link is really lacking a low kb angle of any kind aside from arrows.) As a side note.Just making this move more powerful is really wasting the potential it has for rounding out links move set and giving him an option for getting characters off stage earlier. He doesn't need another Sakarai or even nearly Sakurai angled move. That's what most of his moves are, and currently this move is very niche. It's mostly just used for onstage edge guarding.

5. Sweet spot nair from 11 to 13% ( This would make more sense with the rest of the games nairs, give him slightly more advantage on shield and kill slightly earlier, onstage and off)

6. Utilt from 9 to 10 % (this is not a fast, or safe up-tilt it should be more damaging and slightly safer on shield.)
Or 1 frame off the startup ( keep the endlag the same.) Currently I rarely have a reason to use this move over usmash. Which is safer, more damaging, can be dacused, easier to connect with and similarly combo oriented. While being only 1 frame slower to start.

I Believe these changes would put him in line with the rest of the cast. Polishing his existing hitboxes and animations. Making him slightly better at keeping up the the speedy characters in this game. Giving him slightly better oos options and shield hit saftey. Helping him get kills and gimps earlier, which is actually a big problem for Link considering his poor recovery and the ease with which other characters can gimp him. Lastly, bringing his recovery more in line with other characters by giving him the same bomb jump utility as other characters that can bomb jump.

NERFS:

Boomerang throw + 1 or 2 frames of start up, and % from 11 to 15 (still slightly below melee, similar to toonlinks 3.5 rang)
This move is noob bait and hardly scales with skill. It is also slightly over centralizing, making Link less of a mid range zoner and more of an un-fun to fight bullet hell. With the proposed buffs to his close range and aerial game, he does not need this move to be a crutch for all his weaknesses. Though I love what the PMDT did with the range he throws it now.

And because everyone else seems to have one, here is the outlandish buff I would give to Link.

I would have given him 1 frame off jumpsquat here, but you good bros already did that sooo....

Friction reduction!
Link has poor mobility, this is a character defining trait he should not lose. Giving him a dash, run, aerial mobility speed up or even a second jump buff would really change the way you play this character. Knocking his friction down a bit would give Link not only a better spacing game, from Dacus to his wave dash and moon walks, but almost equally as important, allow him to platform cancel many of his more laggy aerials. I feel that a friction reduction would make the character more skillful and open up a lot of safer and more interesting options for those that put in the time to learn this easy to pick up, hard to master character.

Alternatively, if you just want to make Link a good character and don't want to make him anymore interesting, or think much because thinking is hard. Just make his Fsmash first hit and usmash kill. He would instantly be a stupid good character.

Last edited:

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Since this thread is happening, I will re-post my proposed changes for Link. Though I'm sure you guys have already done what was going to be done to him and tested it.

Color coded for readability.

I don't think Link needs any big character changing buffs. He just needs a few small buffs here and there on his useless and already useful moves. I believe he is in a good place moveset and playstyle wise, he just needs some help.

FIXES:

1.Fixed hitbubble on tip of Uair (this should have been done ages ago.)View attachment 45473

2.Visual fix on utilts first few frames where the sword is in front of link and goes into the zaxis.(it just strait up misses characters right in front of him when it looks like it should hit. Very confusing and
inconsistent as it always hit's big or tall characters but never small ones due to how far he goes into the zaxis and how long his sword stays there before coming out a bit above Marios head level.View attachment 45474 View attachment 45475

BUFFS:

1. 2% added to last hit of up-b, nerf the damage on the second and third hit to add up to the original damage. (giving you 2 more shots at a bomb jump, and more uses onstage without losing recovery options)

2. Melee bomb knockback with slightly increased scaling so getting a bomb hit is more rewarding.(this would also make bomb jumping less effective and balance it out with the proposed up-b last hit damage buff.)

3. 1 frame off the start of Jab 1 ( going from frame 6 to 5) Giving him one fast option to beat out faster characters (this is links fastest ground based move and that is a sad thing for a character with low mobility and high endlag on most grounded moves)

4. Lower angle of ftilt (allowing link to get characters off stage faster and set up for his gimp game, while outright killing at higher percents. This is a slow move that needs to be placed well to be effective and that would not change. Currently Link is really lacking a low kb angle of any kind aside from arrows.) As a side note.Just making this move more powerful is really wasting the potential it has for rounding out links move set and giving him an option for getting characters off stage earlier. He doesn't need another Sakarai or even nearly Sakurai angled move. That's what most of his moves are, and currently this move is very niche. It's mostly just used for onstage edge guarding.

5. Sweet spot nair from 11 to 13% ( This would make more sense with the rest of the games nairs, give him slightly more advantage on shield and kill slightly earlier, onstage and off)

6. Utilt from 9 to 10 % (this is not a fast, or safe up-tilt it should be more damaging and slightly safer on shield.)
Or 1 frame off the startup ( keep the endlag the same.) Currently I rarely have a reason to use this move over usmash. Which is safer, more damaging, can be dacused, easier to connect with and similarly combo oriented. While being only 1 frame slower to start.

I Believe these changes would put him in line with the rest of the cast. Polishing his existing hitboxes and animations. Making him slightly better at keeping up the the speedy characters in this game. Giving him slightly better oos options and shield hit saftey. Helping him get kills and gimps earlier, which is actually a big problem for Link considering his poor recovery and the ease with which other characters can gimp him. Lastly, bringing his recovery more in line with other characters by giving him the same bomb jump utility as other characters that can bomb jump.

NERFS:

Boomerang throw + 1 or 2 frames of start up, and % from 11 to 15 (still slightly below melee, similar to toonlinks 3.5 rang)
This move is noob bait and hardly scales with skill. It is also slightly over centralizing, making Link less of a mid range zoner and more of an un-fun to fight bullet hell. With the proposed buffs to his close range and aerial game, he does not need this move to be a crutch for all his weaknesses. Though I love what the PMDT did with the range he throws it now.

And because everyone else seems to have one, here is the outlandish buff I would give to Link.

I would have given him 1 frame off jumpsquat here, but you good bros already did that sooo....

Friction reduction!
Link has poor mobility, this is a character defining trait he should not lose. Giving him a dash, run, aerial mobility speed up or even a second jump buff would really change the way you play this character. Knocking his friction down a bit would give Link not only a better spacing game, from Dacus to his wave dash and moon walks, but almost equally as important, allow him to platform cancel many of his more laggy aerials. I feel that a friction reduction would make the character more skillful and open up a lot of safer and more interesting options for those that put in the time to learn this easy to pick up, hard to master character.

Alternatively, if you just want to make Link a good character and don't want to make him anymore interesting, or think much because thinking is hard. Just make his Fsmash first hit and usmash kill. He would instantly be a stupid good character.
I like most of this stuff.

But naturally, I don't care for the Rang nerf.

The zoning tools NEED to be strong in certain matchups.

And boomerang is the ONLY thing you throw that doesn't go in a straight line, so it would REALLY suck if it were nerfed more.

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
I like most of this stuff.

But naturally, I don't care for the Rang nerf.

The zoning tools NEED to be strong in certain matchups.

And boomerang is the ONLY thing you throw that doesn't go in a straight line, so it would REALLY suck if it were nerfed more.
I disagree. Currently his rang either does nothing for him in a match up, or just does everything and runs a train on fattys. I would prefer it if Link was more of a physical attacker. As of now his best bet in most matchups is throw everything and run, until you get a conversion from something. This should be toonlinks niche, but toonlink now throws everything and runs better than link, as well as having a much safer, faster, and more threatening close range and combo game.

Thor

Smash Champion

Friction reduction!

That buff idea really isn't insane. Not like mine is [on mine the backlash from n00bs and people who don't realize how baitable it becomes is immediate and immense - it might actually be a change that makes Link good, not ok, but it would attract significantly more negativity than anything else suggested so far, from what I see]. I wouldn't mind it much, but it would make some of his OoS options typically used possibly have to be changed slightly [depending on pushback, wavedash OoS backwards jab might become wavedash straight down OoS jab or whatever, and one might have to nair and then hold forward slightly if they normally tipped with Link's boot].

If we wanted Link to instantly be good in a silly way, making dsmash front half have higher KGB to KO fast-fallers in the range of about 40% earlier on high-ceiling stages [think Dreamland, Falcon dying about 40% earlier, maybe 50% earlier I'd have to check percents and whatnot] while breaking CCs would probably be enough. That would also make floaties hate us for dying like 20% earlier on most stages [or whatever the number is]. Oh, and make the back half more powerful than the front. GGs floaties.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I think his jab should hit at full length on frame 5 to clarify on an earlier proposal. Currently it technically comes out on frame 6, but the frame 6 hitbox is only relevant with absolutely terrible spacing, so I count it as frame 7.

I don't think boomerang is an issue at all atm, and if it was it certainly wouldn't be remedied with more added frames to its startup. Currently it's only 4 frames faster than it was originally iirc (it started at 27 then went to 21 and now is at 23). Adding a couple more frames is pointless as if there is ANY problem with boomerang still, it certainly isn't its speed. There are better projectiles in the game.

I think it should do more damage to make it slightly better on shield which would aid his harassment game considerably. Maybe do something to compensate so it doesn't stun for approx. 6 eternities like in 3.02.

I agree on the Nair thing too. That move's sweetspot used to be fantastic. Now it hits like a paper bag and that bothers me SO much. People live at like 170% from the sweetspot at the ledge. It's really stupid. It used to be a reliable kill at like 150 or so. Or at least get them offstage into a bad position earlier.

I think that the hitbox on his boomerang's sour spot should be made to match the size of its sweetspot, because currently it goes over people's heads after the 5th frame because of this and it's just really obnoxious and deceptive and not good design. I also think that his Zair's hitbox should be made to match the claw better, since this also seems to go through people fairly frequently. I just want his moves to feel less inconsistent and to hit where it looks like they should (Utilt is a good example).

And please for the love of God make his back air actually work. People can try to argue that it's fine, but it objectively isn't. The move does nothing and is inconsistent for no good reason and throws people out of range of the second hit far more often than not. You can do neat things with it, but "neat" doesn't translate to "good."

Edit: oh, and 3.02 bomb throw distance. Please for the love of God.

Last edited:

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
I think his jab should hit at full length on frame 5 to clarify on an earlier proposal. Currently it technically comes out on frame 6, but the frame 6 hitbox is only relevant with absolutely terrible spacing, so I count it as frame 7.

I don't think boomerang is an issue at all atm, and if it was it certainly wouldn't be remedied with more added frames to its startup. Currently it's only 4 frames faster than it was originally iirc (it started at 27 then went to 21 and now is at 23). Adding a couple more frames is pointless as if there is ANY problem with boomerang still, it certainly isn't its speed. There are better projectiles in the game.

I think it should do more damage to make it slightly better on shield which would aid his harassment game considerably. Maybe do something to compensate so it doesn't stun for approx. 6 eternities like in 3.02.

I agree on the Nair thing too. That move's sweetspot used to be fantastic. Now it hits like a paper bag and that bothers me SO much. People live at like 170% from the sweetspot at the ledge. It's really stupid. It used to be a reliable kill at like 150 or so. Or at least get them offstage into a bad position earlier.

I think that the hitbox on his boomerang's sour spot should be made to match the size of its sweetspot, because currently it goes over people's heads after the 5th frame because of this and it's just really obnoxious and deceptive and not good design. I also think that his Zair's hitbox should be made to match the claw better, since this also seems to go through people fairly frequently. I just want his moves to feel less inconsistent and to hit where it looks like they should (Utilt is a good example).

And please for the love of God make his back air actually work. People can try to argue that it's fine, but it objectively isn't. The move does nothing and is inconsistent for no good reason and throws people out of range of the second hit far more often than not. You can do neat things with it, but "neat" doesn't translate to "good."

Edit: oh, and 3.02 bomb throw distance. Please for the love of God.
I don't think links jab needs to be much faster you would be surprised how much one frames difference can make. Especially considering how good links jab already is. Think about how slow Links utilt feels now. It only got one frame added at the beginning and end of the animation. One frame can feel like a lot.

Yeah, Links Nair really should kill slightly earlier, and be slightly better for spacing on shield, considering the rest of the cast, but this is a change, like his utilt damage, that I would be willing to live without. Nair is still one of his top 3 moves.

The boomerang nerf, for me, would just decentralize his reliance on it in neutral. I understand that it is not broken in any way. I just don't like how reliant link is on his projectiles atm. Though the other buffs I have suggested may make players more inclined to actually approach a bit rather than know for a fact that approaching is just a bad idea. I very much disagree with just strait up buffing it's damage. It doesn't need to be better.

I can agree with the boomerang hitbox size fix. It may not need to be the full size, but it would be more consistent with the animation for it to actually cover the boomerang. God knows the other projectiles in the game don't have this problem. I will change my buffs list to include the size up on the latter parts of the animation.

I think zair is quite a good move already, but again I can see why you would want it to match the animation. Things should match animations. Link has historically had the wonkiest hitbox coverage of just about anyone in smash, save ICs in melee.

Back air is not a good move, but it does serve a few purposes, and has nice hitbubbles. I don't think it needs changes. If anything I would suggest it to hit at a slightly lower angle, or give it a bit more growth. It is a relatively safe move for cross-ups and wavelanding it is a nice spacing movement that link completely lacks otherwise in his aerial game, unlike most other characters.

Please no on the bomb throw distance. It would be very inconsistent with the rest of the casts item throw distances. I will say however that it would stand to be just slightly further. He does not need this though, and I believe the current throw distance and speed his up- sides as well as down. The arc and speed it travels cover a lot of space and fill in an area Link can't really cover with his other projectiles.

That buff idea really isn't insane. Not like mine is [on mine the backlash from n00bs and people who don't realize how baitable it becomes is immediate and immense - it might actually be a change that makes Link good, not ok, but it would attract significantly more negativity than anything else suggested so far, from what I see]. I wouldn't mind it much, but it would make some of his OoS options typically used possibly have to be changed slightly [depending on pushback, wavedash OoS backwards jab might become wavedash straight down OoS jab or whatever, and one might have to nair and then hold forward slightly if they normally tipped with Link's boot].

If we wanted Link to instantly be good in a silly way, making dsmash front half have higher KGB to KO fast-fallers in the range of about 40% earlier on high-ceiling stages [think Dreamland, Falcon dying about 40% earlier, maybe 50% earlier I'd have to check percents and whatnot] while breaking CCs would probably be enough. That would also make floaties hate us for dying like 20% earlier on most stages [or whatever the number is]. Oh, and make the back half more powerful than the front. GGs floaties.

Heh, yeah i can agree that making up-b oos better would be a pretty salt inducing buff. It is quite bait able, but still a great option to use sparingly.

I was going to touch on the shield pushback element of reducing friction. I think it would help and hinder link, It would make shield pressuring him a bit more difficult, and allowing him to get more space between him and his opponent, but yes, he might have a slightly harder time punishing things. Though this would force players to work on their shield Di in to get the follow up. Which I like quite a bit.

Lol yes, it is quite easy to break link because of his counter potential and huge, lasting hitbubbles. Just about anything could break him. Which is why I suggested the buffs I did. Small concise butts to help him out in areas he should be a bit better in, rather than big buffs to his already amazing moves.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
@ Beorn Beorn I mostly think bair is bad because it never works. I don't want it to be buffed, I just want it to work like it should. That's it. I don't even think the hitboxes on it are particularly good at all. If you look at some nonsense like Sheik's Bair, that **** hits everywhere. The air from her foot can kill you. Link's just hits on his legs. Absolutely nothing special.

My ideal design for Link is utilization of relatively threatening mid-range projectiles to force his opponent to play into his powerful disjoints. He zones them to keep them in a position where they have to try and get in then catches them with disjoints and kills them as they try to break out of it. He shouldn't be purely projectile-based (and I argue that that strategy is terrible atm anyway), but his projectiles should funnel the opponent into his mother ****ing master sword (MFMS). But I also really enjoy a harassment-centric strategy based around projectile use.

One of my initial impressions of Link this version when it first came out was that he was sort of pigeonholed into a more keepaway style because he had no means to force good conversions with his close-range game, so I felt like I was forced to keep the opponent at bay with sub-par projectiles that felt like paper (bomb throw distance did a lot to aid in that paper feeling) and never converted into anything, only to get slaughtered once they got in (I was playing against Umbreon so it was that much worse). So I guess I understand the desire to make him less reliant on his projectiles from that perspective. Though I think his close range options or his mobility (give him a real dash dance perhaps) would do more to aid decentralizing him from his projectiles than straight up nerfing them. I say make his boomerang have a little more weight to it (more damage) even if it's at the cost of something else if it's really necessary, make his bomb throw not pathetic (seriously annoying), then make his close range options a little bit better.

Oh, something else that I'm vehemently against: Final hit on Link's up B becoming a kill move.

It was like this in Brawl+ and his recovery was the most obnoxious thing I've ever experienced as a result. Please don't do that.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
@ Beorn Beorn I mostly think bair is bad because it never works. I don't want it to be buffed, I just want it to work like it should. That's it. I don't even think the hitboxes on it are particularly good at all. If you look at some nonsense like Sheik's Bair, that **** hits everywhere. The air from her foot can kill you. Link's just hits on his legs. Absolutely nothing special.

My ideal design for Link is utilization of relatively threatening mid-range projectiles to force your opponent to play into his powerful disjoints. He zones them to keep them in a bad position then catches them and kills them as they try to break out of it. He shouldn't be pure projectile (and I argue that that strategy is terrible atm anyway), but his projectiles should funnel the opponent into his mother ****ing master sword (MFMS). I really enjoy a harassment-centric strategy. One of my initial impressions of Link this version was that he was sort of pigeonholed into a more keepaway style because he had no means to force good conversions with his close-range game, so I felt like I was forced to keep the opponent at bay with sub-par projectiles that felt like paper (bomb throw distance did a lot to aid in that feeling), only to get slaughtered once they got in. So I guess I understand it from that perspective. Though I think his close range options or his mobility (give him a real dash dance perhaps) would do more to aid decentralizing him from his projectiles than straight up nerfing them.
http://www.twitch.tv/thesmashingillini/b/639356298 24:33 to 24:46 - bair is awesome. It may not link properly every time, but it has a wide variety of uses, very low landing lag, it's as fast or almost as fast as nair, and autocancels in a shorthop. I don't have these linking problems you do, but I have landed SH bair second hit only -> waveland toward them -> up+b [wasn't on stream and I don't do that frequently because I'm pretty inconsistent at waveland bair]. I think @ITALIAN N1NJA also thinks bair is fine right now, and I like to think he's a pretty good Link, regardless of what you think of my skill level.

I'm not saying bair couldn't link better than it does [like Zelda smash 4 fsmash linking or whatever], but it has its places and does a very nice job of doing a few things well [reverse bairs are awesome, setting up for fair, nair, or perhaps zair or space to pull a bomb, depending on DI and how you want to follow up]. I don't know what you want from bair, exactly, but I rarely have issues with it linking... so maybe your opponents are just godlike at SDI, and that's why it never works for you. But I doubt your opponents are so consistent at SDI that bair never links properly [given that they have to react when you could also opt for reverse nair or a boomerang or b-reversed arrow].

(And yeah I played pretty poorly that match, I 4-stocked his Puff game 1 [he SD'd] so I think I took it less seriously than I should have.)

If Sheik's bair is dumb, that might be a reason to make her hitboxes more accurately match her body, but I don't think that means Link needs a disjointed bair.

Beorn

Smash Journeyman

My ideal design for Link is utilization of relatively threatening mid-range projectiles to force his opponent to play into his powerful disjoints. He zones them to keep them in a position where they have to try and get in then catches them with disjoints and kills them as they try to break out of it. He shouldn't be purely projectile-based (and I argue that that strategy is terrible atm anyway), but his projectiles should funnel the opponent into his mother ****ing master sword (MFMS). But I also really enjoy a harassment-centric strategy based around projectile use.

One of my initial impressions of Link this version when it first came out was that he was sort of pigeonholed into a more keepaway style because he had no means to force good conversions with his close-range game, so I felt like I was forced to keep the opponent at bay with sub-par projectiles that felt like paper (bomb throw distance did a lot to aid in that paper feeling) and never converted into anything, only to get slaughtered once they got in (I was playing against Umbreon so it was that much worse). So I guess I understand the desire to make him less reliant on his projectiles from that perspective. Though I think his close range options or his mobility (give him a real dash dance perhaps) would do more to aid decentralizing him from his projectiles than straight up nerfing them. I say make his boomerang have a little more weight to it (more damage) even if it's at the cost of something else if it's really necessary, make his bomb throw not pathetic (seriously annoying), then make his close range options a little bit better.

Oh, something else that I'm vehemently against: Final hit on Link's up B becoming a kill move.

It was like this in Brawl+ and his recovery was the most obnoxious thing I've ever experienced as a result. Please don't do that.
His hitbubbles on bair are not great comapared to shiek or falcon, but they also don't have swords.
Edit: Thor covered my thoughts on bair.

I completely agree on your breakdown of Links gameplan in 3.5. It really does feel like you are just desperately trying to keep them from slaughtering you with paper projectiles and slow mobility, but I think the other buffs I proposed would really help him to not need to be slaming >B at all times while running and jumping away.

I feel that a friction buff would fix his movement problems well enough and give him cool new options across the board while not changing his playstyle as much as a dash dance buff would. He would have a better wave dash for spacing purposes as well.

As I stated, I agree that his boomerang should have more weight behind it, and I am completely ok with it costing the move a couple of frames.

LOL yes please don't make his up-b kill v_v'

For reference to anyone here that cares here is a size comparison of his boomerang hitbubbles.

While capturing pictures in dolphin I realized that toonlink also has this problem. Though because of his size he still hits everyone in the cast with a forward throw. So I would say just make it very slightly bigger to hit those smaller characters, or change the animation, so that he throws it slightly lower on release. (I actually would prefer the lower angle throw.) In fact it doesn't even look like the animation needs changing. Just drop the thing down slightly.

EDIT: I am going to post this anyway so that people reading this can see what we are talking about.
rang.png

Also... Here is why you can't compare other characters to melee top tiers hitbubbles. Because they are completely ********. bull****.png

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
For up+b, I wouldn't mind seeing the last hit have Melee KB if it doesn't [and it certainly doesn't feel like it does, and this was actually other people who first pointed it out to me]. I do NOT want to see it as a KO move beyond what it did in Melee though [i.e. it usually didn't even KO Marth at like 160% from center of Dreamland above top platform], i.e. we're not Game and Watch, we don't need to start using up+B to finish combos [although he nairs or fairs after his up+B, the idea is the same with Link].

Actually, if they just did a bunch of cool stuff, and then were like "screw it, let's buff aerial spin attack" I honestly wouldn't care. But my GUESS would be that they'd be like "aerial spin attack KO move? Sure, but what do we nerf?" and he can't really afford to have many of his tools nerfed very much [I guess I'd accept it if they nerfed ftilt as compensation lollollol].

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman

Just because you had a personal bad experience in brawl minus, doesn't mean its a bad idea, don't let your personal tragedy stop something that would obviously be beneficial for link players everywhere. I've had several moments where i would combo stylishly into my a-upB and ALL hits would connect, and the other player would still survive, even after they put the controller down because they thought they would die of the top, and instead they just fall back down.

Also in smash 4 Link A-upB is a kill move, and in smash 64, so its not a bad idea. The spin attack is his signature move, it should be a kill move based on that fact alone. If not deserves some sort of buff regardless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom