• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Possibility of an Audio Stream/Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Back at the beginning of this MLG season, after the Smash community got wind that Nintendo wasn't allowing a live video steam, a couple people came up with the idea of just audio. Could that be implemented in the next MLG (if Brawl isn't dropped of course XD)

Audio would be better then nothing.
It would be refreshing and add to hype & discussion to get live interviews, comments from pros, match commentaries, instant results announcements and just simple smash talk with a variety of different players at the event.
Could definitely get some new people interested in Smash

Yay or Nay? Discuss :)

3000th post

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
From what I've heard, the same exact restrictions apply to audio as well. Meaning we're either gonna get live video stream or nothing at all, assuming Brawl stays on the circuit.

Mota

We wouldn't be streaming Nintendo audio though, just people talking O_o

Like Smash talk back radio or something haha, some humour & insightful opinions

I fully agree with this idea. It would be nice to hear some good commentary instead of just listening for that sound telling us there has been an update :/.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
To be honest, I would really enjoy a regular audio podcast on smash in general.
Something to listen to whilst working.

The other day, I put on videos of the CS 1.6 tournament at WCG 2009, and just listened to the audio whilst working.

Mota

I'd most definitely tune in. Could some with some powah and influence look into this for MLG, Mr AZ AlphaZealot ?

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
To be honest, I would really enjoy a regular audio podcast on smash in general.
Something to listen to whilst working.

The other day, I put on videos of the CS 1.6 tournament at WCG 2009, and just listened to the audio whilst working.
We already got one:

http://vvvgaming.podbean.com/category/directional-influence/

Myself, Will and Punishment Divine host it essentially every week. All Brawl related. We actually just had Gnes on the show for this week.

We advertise it on FB, Twitter, vVv, AiB...but not here. I think it's because we were going to make a thread and use it to promote the show so everyone here could listen to it, but we weren't sure where to put it...so yeah, tell us where to put the thread and we'll start posting Directional Influence episodes here.

Alex Strife shows up a lot. He likes being on the show. xD (namesearch bait)

On a related note, an audio stream would be amazing. As you said, it's great to listen to audio while doing other things and, technically, I believe it's legal since MLG is allowed to write about the tournament in articles it posts on its site, which probably falls under the same category as speech-related media, not visual.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
You guys should make a thread for it in Tactical and Gameplay discussion.
Even if there's need for a thread move it isn't hard.

Otherwise go right ahead :)

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
It would be like commentary stuffs :D
Like old school baseball radios or something.
Everyone packed in a room eating Wombo Combos listening to what's going on. :awesome:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Believe me, I asked for a reason why there wasn't an audio stream at Columbus, and MLG gave me the link for the same reason video stream wasn't allowed.

Apparently just talking about brawl can get them sued.

Dr.Brawl

Smash Ace
Believe me, I asked for a reason why there wasn't an audio stream at Columbus, and MLG gave me the link for the same reason video stream wasn't allowed.

Why won't nintendo allow COMMENTARY WITH NO VIDEO to be put up by MLG? If you had the link too that would be cool.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team

But they have articles and a live blog about the tournaments.

I guess audio falls under the same category as video instead of text-based media.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
^ well, nintendo won't necessarily do anything (from what I know, they ignored MLG's requests for streams, not straight up denied them)

but MLG just can't afford to take the risk, is all.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Nah stingers I thought the same thing, a few weeks before Dallas maybe even earlier they confirmed a no. However if some really cool dude not associated with mlg happened to bring some podcasting equipment could they do anything about that, since it was alright for the fans to tape matches.

Martyr

Smash Rookie
Honestly an audio stream, or maybe a podcast would be sick and is way better than nothing in my opinion. However, I know how I am, and I think that if we got a live audio stream if a match got intense or the crowd got crazy I know all I would be able to think is "MAN I wish there was video!"

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Well, we now have Directional Influence here on Smashboards if anyone is looking for a Brawl podcast in general. Gameplay and Tactical, go go go.

If MLG does return, we could do shows live at the venue. That'd be legit. We're up for doing that at any tournament really.

Mota

That would definitely be amazing, you'd get a lot of listeners for sure haha. Especially if people post the link on the FaceBook sidebar.

There's nothing stopping people from just setting up and doing this audio thing is there? Seeing as MLG allows people to record on handheld cameras.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
That would definitely be amazing, you'd get a lot of listeners for sure haha. Especially if people post the link on the FaceBook sidebar.

There's nothing stopping people from just setting up and doing this audio thing is there? Seeing as MLG allows people to record on handheld cameras.
That'd be pretty legit.

I mean, technically, we'd have to be pretty underground about it, which is less preferred. We'd rather have like a table/booth, but then we'd probably have to get permission from MLG and that may lead us back to the Nintendo problem. It's worth a shot.

If not, we'd have to be really mobile and whatnot, which...well, I dunno how exactly that would work. But, assuming MLG is keeping Brawl, we have time to figure it out and it'd be definitely worth it.

We'd do the commentary, live interviews, etc. All that fun stuff. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom